Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

🔻

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://x.com/mattbinder/status/1785778592967766297?s=46

lmao this video are you fuckin serious

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HE'S WAVING A FLAG

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lol all I see are a bunch of obese man children who will fold the second they encounter real resistance

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ded redd posted:

HE'S WAVING A FLAG

their whole case in the video seems to be that the protestors are messy and smelly

like yeah have you ever met a college student lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Big strong police state reduced to beating up unarmed college students to feel strong

Absolutely loving pathetic country

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

the wkcr reporting last night was wild. the dj who managed incoming updates from the multiple reporters on the ground across campus was a boss.

there was a small, admittedly inconsequential, moment that I enjoyed:

one of the reporters was observing the police moving into campus in formation. she was doing a fine job describing the scene, but you could hear her voice trembling from adrenaline. a brief pause, and then she said “a New York police officer just fell down”, very obviously struggling to hold back laughter. audibly steeled from witnessing a pig eat poo poo, she quickly and confidently wrapped up the rest of her brief spot and the broadcast switched to another reporter.

Orbis Tertius has issued a correction as of 23:56 on May 1, 2024

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mandel Brotset posted:

lol all I see are a bunch of obese man children who will fold the second they encounter real resistance

they are, but they also have fully automatic rifles. I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone fire on protestors before the month is out if things continue like they are are the police keep the pedal to the floor on escalating

luscious bearded trump makes me laugh every time

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Genocide Joe arresting everyone running against him.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mandel Brotset posted:

Kinda like the IDF. Love to beat up kids and unarmed civilians but will have a cardiac if a real battle breaks out.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
UCLA protesters did a presser a few moments ago. The questions from press are a little hard to hear, but they did a great job delivering statements and answering questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCG20ej6HZU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Dieting Hippo posted:

UCLA protesters did a presser a few moments ago. The questions from press are a little hard to hear, but they did a great job delivering statements and answering questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCG20ej6HZU

the kids fuckin rock

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I'm the dude with the subtle hitler stache doing a crooked gasden salute (not really)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Mandel Brotset posted:

those chairs are encountering more resistance than those men ever will

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Grey Fox posted:

those chairs are encountering more resistance than those men ever will

:discourse:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

err posted:

few steps away from loyalty oaths

Well, that's an untenable contradiction, isn't it? It's bad enough that this repression is on behalf of a foreign state, but how are they going to explain demanding loyalty to a foreign state?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well, that's an untenable contradiction, isn't it? It's bad enough that this repression is on behalf of a foreign state, but how are they going to explain demanding loyalty to a foreign state?

If you dont loyal to israel, u an anti semite

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

wow i wonder if the first person they try to silence with this poo poo is going to end up with a fat settlement for having their 1st amendment rights violated

first ammendment “rights”, like all “rights” in the US, are a privlidge that can be revoked arbitrarily by those in power

see also: people who got beaten and charged with assult for saying mean words to cops during BLM, that lawyer who spent time in jail for being rude to Chevron, etc

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1785807789530742976

https://twitter.com/nikhil_palsingh/status/1785803831210635709

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is this Michael Tracey’s Peter Daou moment? that was not on my bingo card

I’m interested to see if we see a lot of trustees/governors resigning. they’re unpaid positions generally (or the opposite even: when I was asked to join the board of governors for a private California college, I was told I’d have to contribute $50K/year to the scholarship fund) and they’re filled by people who are generally pretty idealist(*) and/or image-conscious. I was on the board of a public community college here in Canada and I’m not the only one who would have resigned if the school had done some crackdown poo poo. (otoh, one of the other governors is now the head of the Ontario Provincial Police, so…swings and roundabouts)

(*) to be clear, they do not share the ideals of myself or the folks in this thread, but their sense of moral purity is probably taking some damage

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
https://twitter.com/CollegeDems/status/1785734735085347131?t=Fk0zLwu174lI8fzrzIEl5Q&s=19

Lmao

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

This probably sent Hakeem Jefferies into a sputtering rage and that alone makes it worth it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’m interested to see if we see a lot of trustees/governors resigning. they’re unpaid positions generally (or the opposite even: when I was asked to join the board of governors for a private California college, I was told I’d have to contribute $50K/year to the scholarship fund) and they’re filled by people who are generally pretty idealist(*) and/or image-conscious. I was on the board of a public community college here in Canada and I’m not the only one who would have resigned if the school had done some crackdown poo poo. (otoh, one of the other governors is now the head of the Ontario Provincial Police, so…swings and roundabouts)

(*) to be clear, they do not share the ideals of myself or the folks in this thread, but their sense of moral purity is probably taking some damage

I don't know about Canada.
But in the US, they are not at all idealists. In public universities, boards of trustees are generally well connected donors to the governor, very frequently with financial interests in related fields. Real estate developers, education related start up ceos, people in the healthcare industry, etc. It is part of why your average public university will underpay professors but keep expanding buildings, facilities, etc. In private universities, it tends to be about rewarding donors to the university who are after the cultural cachet of being in the board of trustees. If anything, the system filters out people who actually care about education.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/sandeepbak/status/1785704856478536008

Worldwide Map of Protests

https://www.palestineiseverywhere.com

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

honestly it started when he went to ukraine to observe ukrainian soldiers at work and the things he saw from that started the process of the liberal inside him peeling out

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

watch out buddy, I am reserving my rights!!!

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

UCSD should be on here now too

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Morroque posted:

Would that necessarily imply there is a form of lawful antisemitism?

that would be prosecuting jews for anti-israel statements

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

UCSD should be on here now too

University of Kansas also joining in.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
hey if there were big fires in multiple ivys at once would their insurers go bust?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://x.com/MavenNavarro1/status/1785785576571994299

a moment of solidarity and hope across the divide

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joepinetree posted:

I don't know about Canada.
But in the US, they are not at all idealists. In public universities, boards of trustees are generally well connected donors to the governor, very frequently with financial interests in related fields. Real estate developers, education related start up ceos, people in the healthcare industry, etc. It is part of why your average public university will underpay professors but keep expanding buildings, facilities, etc. In private universities, it tends to be about rewarding donors to the university who are after the cultural cachet of being in the board of trustees. If anything, the system filters out people who actually care about education.

the (private) US board I was invited to also had a friend of mine, who shared my interest in more diverse computer science programs, and neither of us were tied into the education or related fields—and our biggest/only donations would have been from the cover charge for being governors!

I suspect that it varies a lot institution to institution (Claremont across the campus is probably a different world, for example), and depends a lot on how much juice and motivation the President has. Harvey Mudd’s at the time had been in the seat for 10 years at that point and would go another 7, and came from industry rather than the fundraising circuit, so they probably got lucky on that front

e: all that to say that I think trustees, especially at smaller schools, are not homogenous in their beliefs, and it’ll be interesting to see what their reactions are

Subjunctive has issued a correction as of 01:30 on May 2, 2024

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Police and PSU pres are peacocking as if they're going to retake Refaat Al-Areer Memorial Library

I would have simply attempted this on any day other than May Day. There is currently a potluck happening out front

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

this statement may seem pathetic but grading on the curve of “the official college democrats” this is the cspam equivalent of making actionable threats against elected officials and getting permaed

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/FilmThePoliceLA/status/1785829609411592401
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1785829080413433904

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
students at the humble cal state la, home of the latinos, have erected an encampment.

https://www.dailynews.com/2024/05/01/encampment-builds-as-cal-state-la-students-rally-for-palestine-on-may-day/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol sjsu sucks so hard it has no protest. the gently caress is wrong with you, you unremarkable football team having business degree diploma mill?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Miami University in Florida or Ohio? If the latter then I’d genuinely be shocked.

e: holy poo poo, it is! If you can get a fairly conservative, whitebread party school like Miami U (the same one that produced Paul Ryan) to protest, then you are cooked as a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

even with this Supreme Court I don't really see these charges holding up