Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I wonder if there'll be some new tiresome discourse centered around Izutsumi like every other new character that isn't immediately friendly to the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Raserys posted:

I wonder if there'll be some new tiresome discourse centered around Izutsumi like every other new character that isn't immediately friendly to the party

cat

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Marcille is my favorite lesbian niece and I will never forgive that awful ninja girl.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think someone here posted a picture from the Delicious in Dungeon expo, so I have a problem/question I need to ask:

I’m currently in Tokyo now and have tried getting my hotel concierge’s help in registering for the event online and even they couldn’t help me ie how to input half-width and full-width furigana for my name, password etc for making an account on the eplus website. :smithicide:

I’m afraid tickets will sell out if I wait until the day of the event on Saturday, so would I be able to reserve a ticket in advance by going in person today? I was planning on heading to Akihabara this afternoon anyways which seems close to Solamachi, so just wondering if this method would work so I don’t waste time and money on a trip there.
per the website, tickets are available at the door so long as the pre-sale tickets aren't sold out, but doesn't specify if you can get a ticket at the door for anything other than same-day entry.

the event's on every day from 4/27 through to next Monday, so you could probably go any day between now and then and see if they either have same-day tickets or will let you book ahead? Solamachi's got a lot of fun stuff in the complex - you could go up the Skytree or to the aquarium etc. so it wouldn't be a wasted trip even if the expo's a bust.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Raserys posted:

Thinking about it, I'd rather have the discourse play out rather than having some folks post supplemental material stuff about Izutsumi. I get it's information not in the show, but supplemental comics tend to immediately showcase that this person is actually a friendly person. There was a lot of initial distrust around Kabru at first, but it got defanged when people posted those comics about his party members and how he was super charming.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah that kinda piss me off, like all of that stuff came way later too.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

no issue with people being salty about a character thats intentionally introduced as non-friendly to the pov characters. part of the fun is the story convincing the audience to like them imo

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
There were a few more supplemental "What If" chapters that came out recently from the bluray. Keep your eyes peeled for them.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

amigolupus posted:

Thinking about it, I'd rather have the discourse play out rather than having some folks post supplemental material stuff about Izutsumi. I get it's information not in the show, but supplemental comics tend to immediately showcase that this person is actually a friendly person. There was a lot of initial distrust around Kabru at first, but it got defanged when people posted those comics about his party members and how he was super charming.

I mean, him chumming it up with his party members doesn’t mean he isn’t on some sinister poo poo. Have you seen how most of the psychos in Golden Kamuy chum it up?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

golden bubble posted:

Chilchuck is the half foot equivalent of 6'6".

Look at these fashionistas from the east.

Every time I see a new side comic I have a new character I never really cared about before but now love

chrome line fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 2, 2024

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
yeah i mean the first impression you get of izutsumi is that she's selfish, annoying, and will kill any member of the gang when it suits her. this also happens to be the middle impression and the last impression

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chrome line posted:

Every time I see a new side comic I have a new character I never really cared about before but now love

Yeah, the ninja ladies rule now (they also ruled before).

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Dungeon Smallshi

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Raserys posted:

On one hand it would be very annoying, on the other hand people have been hyping this cat like a introverted person at a house party and seeing it suddenly make a hard left turn would be very funny.

Like my guys this is not a teenaged girl with cat ears and a mysteriously attached tail, this is an Actual Cat with human body proportions.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Dungeon Smallshi

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So many people default to thinking the giant Laios is Chilchuck's image of him because 'Short Vs Tall!' while forgetting that Chil has worked with Tallmen for pretty much his entire career. Laios's stature is something completely normal to Chilchuck and wouldn't stand out in his mind at all.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If Kabru's party ran into a shapeshifter, Kabru would be able to figure out everyone else's copy pretty easily. But how would they handle the fakes based on Kabru's memories?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

golden bubble posted:

If Kabru's party ran into a shapeshifter, Kabru would be able to figure out everyone else's copy pretty easily. But how would they handle the fakes based on Kabru's memories?

Debatably that is what happened with the bandits who made them look like fish, so we have already seen it from his side. Honestly I think that the shapeshifters would be a lot more intense than the originals. Kabru senses motivations and connections from people and files them away. The shapshifters would probably be largely an encyclopedic list of every flaw and desire that someone has.

It would be really funny if they were all physically messed up though since he focuses so much on the small details, and then one of them comes out with no teeth or something.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
She's literally the very worst aspects of both teenage girls and cats in one form. It's delightful.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Shapeshifters would flee from Kuro, so it’s a moot point. Kuro could probably smell the difference between fakes and real people; his own copies wouldn’t be able to speak clearly because he doesn’t know the local language very well.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The Shapeshifter Kuro from Mickbell's memories just keeps barking "I wuff you!".

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

So many people default to thinking the giant Laios is Chilchuck's image of him because 'Short Vs Tall!' while forgetting that Chil has worked with Tallmen for pretty much his entire career. Laios's stature is something completely normal to Chilchuck and wouldn't stand out in his mind at all.

I don't know if it's because I speed read and missed it or simply forgot but I'm having fun discovering how much of Marcille's first impression of Laois is colored by the fact that she was told he looked like Falin and her extremely disagreeing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shapeshifter Kabru from Rin's perspective looks like one of Marcille's drama heroes, roses included

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Some nice key art of best girl.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
that's izutsumi

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

CuddleCryptid posted:

On one hand it would be very annoying, on the other hand people have been hyping this cat like a introverted person at a house party and seeing it suddenly make a hard left turn would be very funny.

Like my guys this is not a teenaged girl with cat ears and a mysteriously attached tail, this is an Actual Cat with human body proportions.

I think one of the appeals of Izutsumi is that Kui really turns her unique worldbuilding lens to 11 on her. To paraphrase some other goon's comment, she translates the concept of 'teenage catgirl' into "surly young adult with a chip on their shoulder" with "poorly socialized cat that doesn't particularly like you" and effortlessly balances the two throughout in her behavior and character growth.

Like, Kui's great with a lot of her other worldbuilding interpretations i.e. the orcs, elves, dwarves, etc, but there are other similar interpretations out there in other works, whereas Izutsumi really feels unique to Kui and Dungeon Meshi.

Plus it's pretty obvious Kui gets a kick drawing a human-shaped cat reacting to things.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I think one of the appeals of Izutsumi is that Kui really turns her unique worldbuilding lens to 11 on her. To paraphrase some other goon's comment, she translates the concept of 'teenage catgirl' into "surly young adult with a chip on their shoulder" with "poorly socialized cat that doesn't particularly like you" and effortlessly balances the two throughout in her behavior and character growth.

Like, Kui's great with a lot of her other worldbuilding interpretations i.e. the orcs, elves, dwarves, etc, but there are other similar interpretations out there in other works, whereas Izutsumi really feels unique to Kui and Dungeon Meshi.

Plus it's pretty obvious Kui gets a kick drawing a human-shaped cat reacting to things.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that surly kitty. But that's because I've read her entire character arc and saw her develop; I wasn't waiting a week between snippets to argue about whether she's an angel or a demon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a good thing for Kui that I enjoy watching a human shaped cat reacting to things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The hand grab in the snow was really obvious in animation form huh? :3

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Izutsumi is the first anime catgirl close enough to a true cat to activate the part of your brain that makes you say "kitty!" every time you see the cat that has lived in your house for years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat, that means next week is Izutsumi + Hag / Nightmare. :3

Which means... MORE DOGGYLAIOS.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah, I feel like it'd be hard to miss (the way I missed it in the manga). I don't think anyone has remarked on it over in the anime thread (yet).

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Quinton posted:

Yeah, I feel like it'd be hard to miss (the way I missed it in the manga). I don't think anyone has remarked on it over in the anime thread (yet).

Probably loses a little of the intrigue for the reveal to happen the same episode so people don't have to spend a week wondering whose hand that was.

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

Interesting choice to show Marcille's hair at the start of the episode, when it was covered or conveniently cropped out in manga so you couldn't just flip back to check it. Doesn't really matter, but it's a little thing I noticed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man I think I'm just going to post here so i don't have to OPSEC every post in the anime thread.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah, they had to show it but I do with it was more in the background instead of appearing super obvious. But it is what it is, along with how the shapeshifter's voices really give the game away.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I think part of it is that in the anime the camera pans as the party grabs hands, so it's easier to understand the continuity of where everyone is and in what order, making stand out all the more when the camera cuts to a new angle and shows a fifth person behind Marcille grabbing her hand. Of course shortly afterwards the positioning gets all mixed up once the shapeshifter copies appear (there's a Marcille holding Laios's other hand, but then she backs off when the lights turn on and two Chilchucks take her place) so it's easy to forget about that hand or dismiss it as part of the illusion.

It also probably helps that since it's in color it's more immediately obvious that it doesn't match with any party member's hand

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 3, 2024

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's certainly much more subtle as a single panel in the middle of the page in the manga...

And, as logger pointed out, if you were reading it as published, the reveal doesn't happen until the next issue a month later.

I read it after the manga had wrapped up and still managed to miss it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Same, I didn't see it when I read it despite the immediate follow up. You aren't really looking for things that aren't supposed to be there, and even if you did then you'd probably think it was part of the Shapeshifter game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I thought it was obvious when I read the manga, but my brain only see flaws. That's my deal. I am also not scared to flip pages back and forth when I notice poo poo.