Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Khanstant posted:

Level 20 Holy Paladin Burnham versus Level 2 Seething Rogue Mutineer Burnham was fun. I loved that she effectively had Spiderman 2's dark-spidey hairdo to her future style.

I was impressed by how spot on the writers and SMG’s S1 Burnham was. It reminded me of how Brent Spiner played Data very differently in S1 versus later in TNG’s run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I still want SMG to play Samus Aran

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Even knowing what thread I'm in, I still had to mentally correct that because I was like "Sarah Michelle Gellar as Samus? I mean, I guess it'd be cool but how did that come up in the Trek thread?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry SMG but SMG has all that buffy training, she takes priority.

Or just have both, Nintendo hasn proven they're not into good adaptations anymore, so have the Samus Sisters. That way SMG will feel at home, suddenly being someone's sister who we didn't know about yet.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Super mecha godzilla is in disco?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Super mecha godzilla is in disco?

No one has shown up on screen and went "Is it racist to call Tuvok the N-word?" yet, so no.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Careful out there

Eps 6 and 7 leaked via some french online streaming thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was it the same French Online Streaming Thing that leaked season 2 of prodigy?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Was it the same French Online Streaming Thing that leaked season 2 of prodigy?

What's impressive is that I've not come across a single spoiler from that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's why I didn't take French class.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No one cares about Discovery enough to go get a pirated foreign language copy to find out what happens early.

I like Discovery and I would not go out of my way to get a copy even if it were in English! Cause why bother, it will be out in a week. I got plenty of other poo poo to do

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

No one cares about Discovery enough to go get a pirated foreign language copy to find out what happens early.

I like Discovery and I would not go out of my way to get a copy even if it were in English! Cause why bother, it will be out in a week. I got plenty of other poo poo to do

Prodigy. Not Discovery.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Two discovery episodes also just leaked

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Michael goes back in time and gives the speech that they cut out of Enterprise

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Perhaps one day there will be some sort of group of states with a central government, but independence in their internal affairs, a sort of federation of planets. They might even have some sort of fleet that roams the stars to seek out new life, and maybe even new civilizations. They will boldly go where no woman has gone before." Michael says with tears streaming down her face.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

It has an english audio track.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

New episode felt very mid-TNGesque, not super high stakes but more about characters--and of course violating the Prime Directive, naturally

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wee Bairns posted:

New episode felt very mid-TNGesque, not super high stakes but more about characters--and of course violating the Prime Directive, naturally

Exactly how I felt too. I also thought they were planning to fix the other weather towers but I guess not.

I wish that Booker and Dr Culber had a bit more to do, but otherwise this was a decent episode.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Exactly how I felt too. I also thought they were planning to fix the other weather towers but I guess not.

I wish that Booker and Dr Culber had a bit more to do, but otherwise this was a decent episode.
They did fix the other towers. They said they'd have the Wall-Es do it. At the very least, Michael specifically said she would teach them how to fix the towers.

Last 2 episodes were pretty average in my view which, at this point, is great. Plenty to nitpick, but plenty to praise, and I found myself not hate-watching but instead interest-watching. I'm much happier with this season than I was with the last 2 so it's nice that they're probably going to end on a high note. Maybe. We'll see. This series has a bad track record with finales.

The only note I really have is Raava's first lines had me going "okay, calm down theater kid" and then every line delivered after that was just more emphasized and exaggerated than it had to be. Adorable. Grating... but adorable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, perfectly fine episode, definitely had a TNG feel. I did think the healing techniques they showed near the start were going to end up coming back to play some part but I guess not, unless I missed something?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Khanstant posted:

Sorry SMG but SMG has all that buffy training, she takes priority.

Or just have both, Nintendo hasn proven they're not into good adaptations anymore, so have the Samus Sisters. That way SMG will feel at home, suddenly being someone's sister who we didn't know about yet.

Time for a Buffy movie where SMG, having been horribly crippled in a fight, pulls an Oracle and mentors SMG as a new Slayer. Bring back SBG as Oz, while you're at it.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
That was possibly the best "proper" DISCO episode of the entire run (that wasn't really about Mudd or Pike)

Did feel very TNG in that there were several obvious technical solutions to some of their problems but it wasn't really about that

"Maybe being devout means listening when the gods tell us something new" feels like a TNG line we'd still be repeating today

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, perfectly fine episode, definitely had a TNG feel. I did think the healing techniques they showed near the start were going to end up coming back to play some part but I guess not, unless I missed something?
Yeah I felt the same way but landed on the idea that a part of the moral is "just because you can science something away doesn't mean there isn't another technique that works just as well."

Rubber Chicken posted:

That was possibly the best "proper" DISCO episode of the entire run (that wasn't really about Mudd or Pike)

Did feel very TNG in that there were several obvious technical solutions to some of their problems but it wasn't really about that

"Maybe being devout means listening when the gods tell us something new" feels like a TNG line we'd still be repeating today
Yeah, agreed with all of this. It's beating a dead horse to say that Michael's savior complex still makes it all feel way less Trek (making scenes like the previous episode's "bridge crew gives the captain different ideas" scene feel like a tasty drop of water while stranded in a desert) which is then comically emphasized by Tilly's savior complex precipitating the final conflict rather than being something good. Yet... I liked it.

So regarding the ISS Enterprise... does that mess with canon somehow or was the last/only time we saw it from TOS? I wonder if SNW will end up touching on this for some kind of synergy.

OH I also wanted to say it made me happy to hear the Doctor finally acknowledged that he died and that might mess with his head a bit. There's something interesting and new about the idea of a character who has been through such oddities and comes out on the other end feeling too positive about his state in life. I'm curious if it goes anywhere.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DaveKap posted:

So regarding the ISS Enterprise... does that mess with canon somehow or was the last/only time we saw it from TOS? I wonder if SNW will end up touching on this for some kind of synergy.

The memorial plaque is frustratingly vague, but it sounds like it crossed over after Mirror Spock made his reforms, so pre-DS9 mirror universe:

Courtesy Jörg posted:

The new High Chancellor presented hope and justice as if they were natural to our world. His words, "the light of hope shines through even the darkest of nights" became our rallying cry. He spoke of reform and changed many of us. But some saw this as weakness. They killed him, and we sought help from an unlikely ally: A Kelpien slave turned rebel leader. He spoke of visitors from another world... A near perfect mirror that casts our darkness into light. With his aid we secured the Enterprise, but he stayed behind to continue his work. We bear scars from our escape. But our hope remains. May it carry us into a shining, peaceful and just future...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Oh my god I love a good "violating the prime directive" episode. Picard would be so proud.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I really like this particular example because it's worth thinking about the fact that the Denobulans already violated it, or at least the abandonment of their tech amounts to a violation. Ameliorating existing contamination is a greater good and that's why she won't be court martialed promoted to admiral

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I did enjoy that Burnham acknowledges she violated the Prime Directive but that she expects her punishment for this will be,"I gotta fill out SO MUCH paperwork now!" :)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As captain Burnham takes point on a lot more away missions than is sensible, but I gotta remember she came up in the TOS era where that is in fact the norm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As captain Burnham takes point on a lot more away missions than is sensible, but I gotta remember she came up in the TOS era where that is in fact the norm.

Rayner didn't even put up a token protest this week, just said,"Yes ma'am" and aggressively mentored a sad crew member instead. He's definitely fitting in! :)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jerusalem posted:

Tilly and Michael were talking about some sort of sonic technique that would clear the patient's lungs and save her life. Then the locals did basically the same thing, a lower-tech solution but the same principle and demonstrably effective. That says to me that the local culture has a chance of surviving a Prime Directive violation, they're forward thinkers and problem solvers. We see that again in "Maybe being devout means listening when the gods tell us something new" If nothing else, it shows a lot of respect for the local culture by the writers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I got that connection from early in the episode, I just thought it might be more explicitly revealed by the end that the civilization had adapted or could adapt their own techniques to making the weather tower something more their own. It's not a complaint, as the episode indicates a willingness by them to adapt and change with the times and you can see from that earlier scene what that might look like, I was just surprised it wasn't more directly put into the script.

XavierAlexander
Mar 22, 2024

by Pragmatica
As I supp'd my cup of elderberry wine while taking a bite of hot cornbread with haznuts and apple baked into it, along with old cheeses studded with dandelion, acorn and celery I began to ponder why Space Martin The Warrior would give me a vision of how life began. In the 23rd century Evolution had been the main belief but due to my visions I realized
all life descended from primordial progenitors. Provided I can solve their carefully crafted sudoku puzzles I believe Oi can find the source of all life.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makes sense Denoblians were the ones to violate the prime directive in the first place -- apparently they have a real different spin on it. Letting a sapient species die so their slave race has a chance to achieve their full potential is some alien morality. Violating the prime directive to allow a primitive species to continue seems like something Phlox would be into.

It is weird the guy never set up a maintenance plan though. He had to know it wouldn't last forever. Even if you want to keep it a secret you could at least tell your wives and their husbands, have the kids keep an eye on it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What the hell is Culber's deal this season. For like four episodes now he's been well "I feel vaguely different" and seems like he wants a divorce. Like calm down man.

Church? Do you want to go to church or something? Ok nobody is stopping you

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The federation/Starfleet is weird because it doesn’t really have churches or religions much (save for where it butted up against the Bajoran faith). But at the same time, they’ll meet godlike entities at least once a month while out exploring.

Hugh’s deal is just.. eh.

It was the beige part of a decent episode. My partner watched it with me, and they really liked it!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Hugh going to turn out to be a progenitor? I think they're going to do something like that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Makes sense Denoblians were the ones to violate the prime directive in the first place -- apparently they have a real different spin on it. Letting a sapient species die so their slave race has a chance to achieve their full potential is some alien morality. Violating the prime directive to allow a primitive species to continue seems like something Phlox would be into.

It is weird the guy never set up a maintenance plan though. He had to know it wouldn't last forever. Even if you want to keep it a secret you could at least tell your wives and their husbands, have the kids keep an eye on it.

The thing is that the Federation's Prime Directive specifically states that if you find a pre-warp species that unfortunately are about to become extinct due to a natural disaster or something, they are just supposed to let the species die out lest they become 'contaminated' by having come in contact with a hyper-advanced civilization because that's just the natural order of things (see the TNG episode where Data started communicating with an alien girl on a pre-warp planet that was about to get eaten by it's own volcanos and Picard said "Welp, sucks to be them. We could save the planet but that's against the rules"). The UFP is inherently a smug ethno-state that claim they are morally superior for letting people die for reasons of 'purity'.

Also Disco had an episode with 2 supposedly super clever bad guys on board the loving ISS Enterprise and they did NOTHING with the Tantalus Field? Bah.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It's a TV show and it needs to introduce something to add to drama/tension. That's what the prime directive often is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If the next clue seems to point to Betazed then maybe Moll & Lok actually already got it which would give a good reason at least for them to be back in the plot at all