Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

So funny and gratifying to see Charlie win a challenge and say he practiced specifically for that, trained his grip for months in preparation for it and really thought about his time in Survivor.

Then it cuts to Liz, who screamed at the dude she voted for the night before because he didn't take her to Applebees, taking her tiny jar of rice and asking for someone else to make her a fire because she doesn't know how.

aidoru fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aidoru posted:

So funny and gratifying to see Charlie win a challenge and say he practiced specifically for that, trained his grip for months in preparation for it and really thought about his time in Survivor.

Then it cuts to Liz, who screamed at the dude she voted for the night before because he didn't take her to Applebees, taking her tiny jar of rice and asking for someone else to make her a fire because she doesn't know how.

this show rules

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Diabetic posted:

The more I think about it the more dumb Liz is. You came on this show allergic to any food they have besides rice. You say you don't need the money and you're doing it for your daughter. Why in God's Earth would you then have a giant rear end meltdown over Applebee's?

I could never be on this show because I would have enough self awareness to not do this. Anything Liz has done in life up to this point is now gonna be overshadowed by the blowing up on TV over Applebee's.

I feel bad for her because the Internet is gonna get loving vicious and her poor kids is gonna have to put up with it.

This episode sure is bringing some interesting perspectives out of a handful of people in this thread!

Why would this person who is stressed, starving, and sleep-deprived have an emotional outburst? I surely would never

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

They're all hungry. Maybe Liz is more hungry than everyone there. It doesn't matter. She still acted like she was owed a reward from someone she has tried to vote out multiple times because she has an "emotional connection" to fuckin Applebee's lamo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

STING 64 posted:

i thought it ruled, nobody ever just lets it out like that anymore

Agreed! It scared the hell out of my fam when she turned around yelling, it was great editing work, haha.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Liz is nuts and Q is a monster.

The thing is you can sympathize with Liz but also still think she’s a self absorbed entitled rear end in a top hat. She can have stress and hunger induced meltdown you try and give a pass for and then repeatedly express she’s not remotely embarrassed or apologetic for it. Liz’s whole thing against Q is a self constructed illusion that he screwed her. Ben just hates the guy. Tiff and Kenzie are pissed he screwed them. But Liz just thinks he’s somehow her arch rival because his actions indirectly undermine her perceived game power.

And Tiff was arrogant to try and squeeze out her idol especially one tribal after Hunter got taken out doing the same thing. But at least she owned it. That’s a level of self awareness and humility not in high supply with this cast.

Applebees.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don’t care how hangry you are, there’s no scenario in which having a gigantic meltdown over Applebees does not come off as hilariously pathetic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reddit is weird because a not insignificant portion are calling Ben a terrible person for thinking Q is a bully.

Honestly I think internet people don’t deserve Survivor anymore.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was the most relatable Liz has been all season, even if she's definitely someone that would drive me crazy in real life. She's starving and she's the one person in history with an emotional connection to Applebee's. She's got to suffer through everyone going, then everyone coming back and being like "It's soooo good, it was delicious, I couldn't even eat it all!"

I feel like this is one case where you come back from reward and just say it wasn't that great. Say the food didn't taste like it does back home, say it gave you the shits, do something. Maybe Applebee's doesn't let them do that, I dunno.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

In that case it would be the show not wanting to show anyone badmouthing Applebees and jeopardizing future sponsorship

I’m sure some people talk/have talked poo poo on Applebee’s and the producers probably either yell at them or snidely tell them it won’t make the air anyway

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you threw me on an island for 17 days left only to fend for myself with coconuts and sealife while surrounded by completely insane people where we plot against each other lord of the flies style the entire time you bet your rear end im gonna lose my poo poo at the chance to win some applebees

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Filling up on spinach artichoke dip when there’s a burger coming is more unhinged than anything Liz did

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

aidoru posted:

They're all hungry. Maybe Liz is more hungry than everyone there. It doesn't matter. She still acted like she was owed a reward from someone she has tried to vote out multiple times because she has an "emotional connection" to fuckin Applebee's lamo

Liz only ever voted for Q at one tribal, the same tribal where Kenzie also voted for Q.

STING 64 posted:

if you threw me on an island for 17 days left only to fend for myself with coconuts and sealife while surrounded by completely insane people where we plot against each other lord of the flies style the entire time you bet your rear end im gonna lose my poo poo at the chance to win some applebees

These masters of their emotion here would never show a crack in their stonefaced enigmas of perfection, even in face of the new era Survivor. To show emotion is weakness, and you are scum of the earth for doing so.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Reddit is weird because a not insignificant portion are calling Ben a terrible person for thinking Q is a bully.

Honestly I think internet people don’t deserve Survivor anymore.

/r/survivor has recently reached /r/rupaulsdragrace levels of unhinged internet fandom behavior. I used to subscribe only during the season, and unsubscribe between seasons to spare myself the endless posts about whether Boston Rob is the greatest Survivor of all time. But I had to quit after only a couple of weeks this season because they were just too obnoxious.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'll say this: Every time Applebee's has been featured i love the episode because it brings out the wildest poo poo. Almost as fun as them trying to sell Jack and Jill.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/anthonyd46/status/1786183776252359067?t=VDhKOy2CSD3-fXonEdgfJw

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

This episode sure is bringing some interesting perspectives out of a handful of people in this thread!

Why would this person who is stressed, starving, and sleep-deprived have an emotional outburst? I surely would never

It's relatively rare, right? We've seen dozens of people just as poor off as Liz manage to lose something they wanted and then not lose their poo poo about it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being emotional, but having a temper tantrum about it is pretty obnoxious and shouldn't have any place in a competition imo. Makes things super awkward for Q.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 3, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

fadam posted:

It's relatively rare, right? We've seen dozens of people just as poor off as Liz manage to lose something they wanted and then not lose their poo poo about it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being emotional, but having a temper tantrum about it is pretty obnoxious and shouldn't have any place in a competition imo. Makes things super awkward for Q.

Oh no poor stable Q

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm just happy for the Survivor editing bay. It was fantastic storytelling. We begin with Liz who needs to eat and everybody knows it. We have Q with every successive non-Liz pick. We see Liz gradually growing more distraught until the final pick of Kenzie triggers the meltdown. Now, the meltdown is uncomfortable yet touching generic Survivor fare, but then all of a sudden it turns out that Liz has a personal and emotional connection to Applebee's. Applebee's Applebee's Applebee's. I go to Applebee's every week with my daughter! Applebee's is specifically some of the only food on planet earth that I am able to eat!!! And then it's okay she's better now, just really wanted that Applebee's.

And then an immediate cut to a completely unironic and sincere Applebee's commercial. I pretty much lost my goddamned mind. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard at anything.

Then, maybe 40 minutes later when we'd almost forgotten about it, the Applebee's commercial repeats for some degree of comedy torture/callback. It was perfection.

The only thing that would have made that all better would have been for us to see Maria and Kenzie trying to give Liz the Applebee's with Q saying no. Why on earth didn't they air that?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

A Fancy Hat posted:

She's got to suffer through everyone going, then everyone coming back and being like "It's soooo good, it was delicious, I couldn't even eat it all!"

That was really lovely of them but that's not when the meltdown happened.

And again I think the meltdown is understandable but acting proud of it later is much more embarrassing

Poque posted:

Filling up on spinach artichoke dip when there’s a burger coming is more unhinged than anything Liz did

Seriously

NGL I'd eat a mozzarella stick but you have a chicken breast and burger patty coming, don't just fill up on fat and booze wtf

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Filling up on generous appetizers and barely having room for the actual food that they still had to make is the real Applebee's experience, along with Olive Garden

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hahaha oh my God what a nightmare. The Brands marking you with their scent and advertising on your face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ben is a G. I think he's a lot smarter than the persona he puts on. Love him dropping Applebee's name in his confessional because it will get him on air.

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha oh my God what a nightmare. The Brands marking you with their scent and advertising on your face.

It's almost like a worse version of posting a viral tweet only for 300 News anchors to emerge from the woodwork asking if they can use your video for free

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

obliriovrons posted:

She blew up about Q "ruining her game" despite her having literally no game. Q has done nothing to her other than existing as a force of chaos and her then sheepish half apology after that, yeah I guess it's an interesting perspective.

My theory for endgame is Liz and Q at the final tribal as the goats, and whoever is the third wins.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She was talking about having organized the Tevin blindside only for Q to throw a temper tantrum and suck the air out of the room. I get it. It was pretty dumb of her to bring it up like that, but I get it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's almost like a worse version of posting a viral tweet only for 300 News anchors to emerge from the woodwork asking if they can use your video for free

If I go on survivor I'm becoming an adbot. I do everything I can in life to avoid most ads but I'd embrace it in those circumstances. Bring the brands to my Instagram and Twitter, I would love to be able to control what their brand is associated with for a moment.

How long do you have between getting accepted and showing up on the island? Just wondering if enough time to get some neck and face tattoos healed, kind of a Trojan horse sponsorship deal, plastered like a NASCAR.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

How long do you have between getting accepted and showing up on the island? Just wondering if enough time to get some neck and face tattoos healed, kind of a Trojan horse sponsorship deal, plastered like a NASCAR.

Heh, they do bring out a few alternates every season. Easy to replace cast members they don't think will work out last second. It's what people got so angry last season about 2 people quitting, because there were alternates there who would have loved to have played

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They wouldn't do that to someone, would they? Just let them secretly get covered in tattoos ads for brands and products only to cut them from the cast at the last moment for failing to meet their arbitrary beauty standards. That's sexism.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Liz getting a sobstory flashback (one of the worst things about new era Survivor) that turned into an Applebees ad featuring an actual photo of her and her daughter was funny but also would have been the nadir of the season if the first 4 episodes of this season/Bhanu didn't exist.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I fuckin love branded survivor episodes. Just over the top shilling for a company you don’t give a poo poo about. That fuckin Applebee’s story was just a cherry on top. Applebee’s marketing team must have been hootin and hollering with all those extra Applebee shoutouts.

Applebees

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Diabetic posted:

She blew up about Q "ruining her game" despite her having literally no game.

you know there's like 99.99% of their time on the island and talking to each other we don't see right

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Sure but there's an entire team of people whose job it is to tell the story here and that leaves us with three options: they're not being given the story because the person doesn't want production blabbing it, production sucks at telling the story, or there's no story to be told.

We've seen all three of those happen but the last one is far and away the most common.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
They always pick and choose narratives. They pretty much have to, distilling days into minutes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I fuckin love branded survivor episodes. Just over the top shilling for a company you don’t give a poo poo about. That fuckin Applebee’s story was just a cherry on top. Applebee’s marketing team must have been hootin and hollering with all those extra Applebee shoutouts.

Applebees

Applebee's is right in that sweet spot of a joke company I comfortably assume all people know is garbage that everybody hates. I think it's the world's punching bag of restaurant chains that still persist. So it's just good fun to pretend like you're cuckoo for cocoa puffs over Applebee's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They have a bar but it's a family restaurant and I like that chaotic combo. Give little Johnny some Jim Beam Maple with his special boy bacon, why not

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Ah yes that huge multinational chain with 1500+ restaurants in 49 US states

Everybody obviously hates it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Which hosed up state doesn't have an Applebees?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Which hosed up state doesn't have an Applebees?

Hawaii

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wonder if part of the reason they picked Liz for the season was that Applebees story.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you have won a reward challenge. you can either have survivor pizza for yourself or applebees for you and friends. what do you choose, goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
If I choose Applebee's will I be forced to drink pepsi like a filthy peasant?

Can we get some a Chili's up here instead?