Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Spacebump posted:

I get the show rules. It is crazy how many people online seem to have decided de Mayo needs to come back considering there were also issues with him when he worked on the Witcher.

I can’t imagine Disney would fire him from X-Men for minor reasons, the day before the premier, considering the quality of the show. Their goal is to make money, I’d think they wouldn’t get rid of a good show runner unless they needed to.

Was there ever a concrete answer as to what the issues were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Episode 8:

Did Bastion show up to the mansion in a fancy rich person car, then just teleport back to his base? Also why did he just let the UN lady walk around unsupervised, with access to possibly the one person that could stop him if let go??

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This isn't specific, but one of the Witcher writers tweeted this on a day that DeMayo gave an interview trashing them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Episode 8:

Did Bastion show up to the mansion in a fancy rich person car, then just teleport back to his base? Also why did he just let the UN lady walk around unsupervised, with access to possibly the one person that could stop him if let go??

Yes. And no idea. Gonna assume because he's a smug dumbass.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Yeah, he's a comic book villain, guys.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I can’t imagine Disney would fire him from X-Men for minor reasons, the day before the premier, considering the quality of the show. Their goal is to make money, I’d think they wouldn’t get rid of a good show runner unless they needed to.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that corporations are rational actors.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

McSpanky posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that corporations are rational actors.

They want money above all else, they will allow a lot if they don’t think it stands in the way of money.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No and presumably we never will because of NDAs. I’d think if the reason was absolute bullshit, other people on the show would have tweeted in support of him. (If they did and I missed it, please let me know.)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I get the show rules. It is crazy how many people online seem to have decided de Mayo needs to come back considering there were also issues with him when he worked on the Witcher.

It’s up to each of us as individuals to decide to assume the best or the worst of him. Short of DeMayo being a literal abuser of some kind, the main thing ‘we’ care about is the final quality of the show and DeMayo seems a good person to deliver that.

One of the many things he’s mentioned on Twitter is that ‘not many eyes’ were on them for season 1. Maybe Marvel wanted starting putting more eyes on it for S2 and some schism emerged from that? Maybe Beau lost his cool at some point? At this point none of us know, but I don’t think it’s safe to assume Marvel’s reason was something we as viewers would care about.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

They want money above all else, they will allow a lot if they don’t think it stands in the way of money.

Yes, and maybe their idea of how to make that money differed from De Mayo’s enough to result in the firing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Spacebump posted:

Yeah I don't think Disney would, or should, re-hire him as showrunner. The guy is obviously a good writer and has a lot of affinity for the material, and the positive reception of the show (and presumably high viewership numbers) are at least in some part a testament to that. However, the trend of reinstating or protecting people who knowingly create hostile/toxic/harmful work environments or abuse their colleagues/subordinates has to stop - no matter how "talented" the offender in question might be. This being the Mouse it is safe to assume they are not operating out of lofty moral or ethical principles here; they are protecting their IP and their investment and if anything seem more willing to cut ties quick over bad behavior since the whole fallout with Majors. This doesn't seem like a Gunn-type situation either - where the whole cast and crew is loudly and publicly backing him up and pushing for Disney to bring him back - which says a lot.

Assuming the show continues to be successful and S2 is equally as well received, the best case scenario here is DeMayo continues to be active in audience engagement on social media, keeps the Disney shittalk to a reasonable minimum, makes some effort to shows he has changed his ways, and maybe Disney will bring him back as a contributing writer for future seasons or possibly some of the other X-Men related stuff in development. But even that I'd only peg the odds at 50/50. Which sucks, but those are the breaks.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 3, 2024

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Episode 8:

Did Bastion show up to the mansion in a fancy rich person car, then just teleport back to his base?
There ought to have been a post-credits scene of a couple of Prime Sentinels grunting and muttering as they pushed his limo into the portal after him.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pinterest Mom posted:

This isn't specific, but one of the Witcher writers tweeted this on a day that DeMayo gave an interview trashing them.

An "industry insider" named Jeff Schneider is also quoted in a few places as saying Beau was "a nightmare to work with on a daily basis." I wouldn't be surprised if they were hedging about keeping him versus firing him (Schneider also declines to call it a "firing," rather a "parting of ways") and then made up their minds before the debut because like... imagine trying to "part ways" with him now, while everyone is loving his show and singing his praises for his involvement with it. If he was difficult to work with before they would have probably found him to be impossible by the time season three rolled around.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sneider has broken a lot of stories so the air quotes on industry insider isn’t necessary.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

v:shobon:v I didn't know the name. I guess that makes him reliable then?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pinterest Mom posted:

:yikeseroo:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In the comic version of the events the girl with Bastion ends up telling some X-Men that the majority of Prime Sentinels were kidnapped.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, it feels like we should remain agnostic on the dude until something concrete comes out. Show good...but not so good as to forgive predatory behavior.

e:

MonsterEnvy posted:

In the comic version of the events the girl with Bastion ends up telling some X-Men that the majority of Prime Sentinels were kidnapped.

I still think it's jarring to pull this after the Phalanx Covenant world event, last season. There has got to be Prime Sentinels that were also absorbed by the Phalanx, last year. That's weird to think about.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 3, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

v:shobon:v I didn't know the name. I guess that makes him reliable then?

"Forums insider" literally a bird

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My insider information is very boring. I could tell you what episode of Resident Alien Jeffrey is on. Or the last couple movies he watched, maybe, on a good day.

Which is also why I used quotes on "industry insider," because it seems like such a broad sort of designation :lol:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Episode 8:

Yeah I caught that teleport too and thought it was funny. He just wanted to arrive in style I guess. He also says releasing Magneto was "too little, too late" so he's clearly already set in motion whatever his plan is

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 3, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Episode 8:

I'm guessing that it's all part of his plan - knowing Magneto would do something that would make not just him irredeemable, but all mutants in the eyes of the majority of the human population. Basically giving him the casus belli he needed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marsupial Ape posted:

I still think it's jarring to pull this after the Phalanx Covenant world event, last season. There has got to be Prime Sentinels that were also absorbed by the Phalanx, last year. That's weird to think about.
Yeah that's comics for you. One day you get put into a hive-mind, the next you are an organic cyborg

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that's comics for you. One day you get put into a hive-mind, the next you are an organic cyborg

Exactly how many times can Manhattan be floated into the sky, anyway?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
clobber me if you can, survive if I let you

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Giancarlo Esposito is joining the MCU as an "original character sooner rather than later".

https://collider.com/giancarlo-esposito-cast-mcu-role/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Professor X's secret brother (no, not that one)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Giancarlo Esposito as Giancarlo Esposito.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gonz posted:

Giancarlo Esposito as Giancarlo Esposito.

Herald of Galactus

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Professor X's secret brother (no, not that one)

Honestly? Him playing Charles himself could work

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly? Him playing Charles himself could work

Exactly. Him as Charles, and Denzel as Magneto.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

McSpanky posted:

It's probably this, yeah. Accurate or not, I get this sense with animated "Disney+ Originals," that Disney has a kind of, "oh, forreal?" sense of surprise when something hits. Like, beyond obviously expensive things like live-action MCU or Star Wars content, a non-flagship D+ show getting a really strong response seems like something they didn't prepare for. "People really LIKE Bluey? Hold up, What If is blowing up? Bad Batch is getting really GOOD reviews? Huh, no poo poo!"

I bet DeMayo did some hosed up stuff that justified firing him. But also, maybe replacing the showrunner for a nostalgia bait revival cartoon seemed like something nobody would notice or care about. The fact the writing is fantastic and people loving love this followup series for aging millennials is maybe not the pop cultural response they were predicting.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

Exactly. Him as Charles, and Denzel as Magneto.

As much as I would love for that to happen it seems like the whole idea is just so much fan conjecture. More than likely Esposito is going to do voiceover for some mocapped CGI villain in a future MCU installment.

Giancarlo Esposito as the voice of... Fing Fang Foom.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

This doesn't seem like a Gunn-type situation either - where the whole cast and crew is loudly and publicly backing him up and pushing for Disney to bring him back - which says a lot.

That whole post was some fine megacorp bootlicking but this is just incredible. These are voice actors, the vast majority of them have an infinitesimal fraction of the star power or industry leverage that the GOTG cast did. If they did exactly anything except show up when and where they're supposed to to deliver the lines they've been hired to, they can be replaced faster than a gay black man in a position of authority.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Who said anything about the voice actors? Has there been any show of support for Demayo from the other writers involved in making the show, or the producers, or anyone else who would've been in a position to interact with him regularly? Yes, NDAs and all that but I highly doubt Disney wants to be on the receiving end of bad press about unfairly firing a Black gay writer so soon after the Writers Strike, especially given his involvement in a surprise success. If they didn't have a solid cause to do it they would've gone some other way. No one is pretending Disney is acting out of anything but self interest here, or that their decision making calculus is anything but abhorrent.

I feel bad for Demayo and I hope he can get another shot, and overcome whatever issues led to him getting fired the first time. That said, I don't see how it is corporate bootlicking to say "People who are lovely to their coworkers should face accountability for their behavior no matter how good their work is" but go off I guess.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I know it can be hard to remember when every other scandal looks like "beloved artist raped 50 people, repercussions not pending" but sexually assaulting your employees is not the only way to be bad to work with. Being terminated with reason and not being sexually abusive aren't contradictory.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 4, 2024

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
He was microwaving fish

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

He didn't change the toner in the copy machine after printing a big job and the warning came on but he still didn't do it.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
He hung the toilet paper underhand

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Used up all the salsa on Taco Tuesdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Marsupial Ape posted:

Just assume that Bastion threw a fake press dinner and got everybody roaring drunk. Journalists are natural blackout drunks.

I work in local TV News you're not that wrong