Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think people also just see the list of hands and get scared even though its like, you don't need to know what a 13 orphans is off the bat

they should make balatro mahjong, people would learn stuff then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eiyuden absolutely run into 'oops ran out of budget/time' constraints. I was really confused when the game was referring to the final battle as the final battle because there were so many plot threads remaining.
Then the game just kinda resolved most of them all over the course of the battle. And the pacing makes you feel like a loser because up to that point in the game it feels like you just hadn't accomplished anything meaningful then suddenly it's all 'mission accomplished' afterwards.

There's still more game to play after that battle but I'm not sure how much. I have 3 options I guess given I screwed up the get all the stars to save Perrielle thing.
1) Rewind to a 6 hours ago save. (Uuuuuuurrrgh)
2) Just say Sorry Perry sucks to be you and put a bow on the game.
3) Say 'gently caress this game altogether let's see what else is on gamepass'. On this note I downloaded Persona 5 Tactica this morning. I wanted to buy SaGa: Emerald Beyond but nothing has been really hitting for me since Unicorn Overlord and I'm scared of spending 50$ on a game I might not enjoy.

I'll level with you. The bullshit at the end demoted the game from 'uneven RPG from a bygone era' to 'you know what, gently caress this.'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Barudak posted:

I have written this post multiple times and then rewritten it as a fresh cutscene plays but its really really hard for me to fairly judge Forspoken when its dialog writing conflicts with me this sharply. I would genuinely score this game higher if everything were in pantomime.

Im watching cutscenes because my brain refuses to believe you can maintain this level of bad this long and this consistently.

The writing gets....not quite as garbage once the main plot gets going (when you get on your way to Tanta Sila) but yeah, the dialogue is by far the worst part of Forespoken. I just platinumed it today and the constant banter was so bad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Just do mahjong but it's just that game where you pick out pairs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

discard all 1s and 9s. discard all dragons and winds unless your initial hand has a pair of them. call on literally everything. gg no re.

drat, so this is what I’ve been missing this entire time…

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

how much mohjong do you have to play though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xenoblade 2 Emulation Trip Report - Basically went okay, though it seems like the mods are less "robust" than the ones for Xenoblade 3. Was still able to get it running at a much higher resolution and a mostly-smooth 60fps.

I found a mod that claims to add all non-quest Blades to the pity system. Way too early to know if it works, but that'll be super great if it does. Maybe I'll finally get KOS-MOS...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

how much mohjong do you have to play though

Usually they ask you to win at least once at all difficulties and also a certain amount of times total. I think 0 also asked for earning a certain amount of points on top of that?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This is a pretty trivial observation but one thing I love in Eiyuden is that Markus is basically "what if Papyrus had a theater degree?"

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I am fine if Eiyuden 2's main character is Markus playing the role of Ainz from Overlord.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Platinumed Persona 3 Reload after 60 hours. Did everything but the ultimate adversary and filling out the compendium. Previously platinumed P5R and got lost in the bath-house of P4G.

I'm thankful I never touched the original because it sounds like something from the Stone Age. No party control, no fast-travel, no platonic friendships with any girls, and no control over skill inheritance. Groundbreaking stuff back in 2006, but impossible to go back to for most people. I believe most developers over the years have caught on that games should favour friction over frustration. That's why so many remakes and remaster cut down on dead-time, but then put in new stresses on the formula to keep some semblance of challenge.

Tartarus isn't terrible, but it is empty. The tower only gets five paintjobs as you ascend, with the fifth zone looking a clown vomited on the walls and ceiling. The place is only meant for leveling and side-quests, only becoming relevant in the final hour of the game. It's understandable why the sequels had the more traditional dungeons capped off with a boss

The Moon Kid is the only weak link in the game. Every other relationship ties into the main theme better, with the Sun link having the most unexpectedly moving epilogue.

The dormitory looks weirdly barren and low-res compared to every other environment in the game.

There's no real justification for getting a game-over because the protagonist falls in battle. There's isn't a dedicated safety net like the sequels, and this decision just limits the number of viable persona to use. Yes, I did lose to the final mini-boss of the game when he was at 5% health. There could have been a mechanic where the MC can only fall when every else has.

It's imperative that you use a guide to witness the linked episodes in addition to the social links. There are a ton of characters moments that are easily missed, since they had to tie into the main story but couldnt displace any existing content.

Unlike the sequels, everyone gets their persona upgrade on the main plot. I think this was a good idea because it doesn't mean a ton of character development has to happen in an alternate universe.

The final boss blows. Thirteen phases with dialogue between each one, similar to the bad guy from Xenoblade 3. I have no idea how the last phase works because I immediately killed him with the Armageddon move.

The story maintains momentum far better than Persona 5 Royal did, with that game's best parts being the first chapter and the last. Nobody gets shafted here like Haru did in screentime and focus.

Worth getting on sale for 50 bucks or less. There's a fast-forward button so you can skip past the loving Moon Kid.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 5, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm thankful I never touched the original
:atlus:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No party control is something they've clearly backed down on, but it originally served a pretty important thematic role in asserting that you are, by nature, fundamentally alone in this world. You are not playing as SEES, the team, you are playing as this one particular dude who has no control over anyone else's lives, you can only touch them indirectly. This ties into the whole idea of slowly building up your social links, as well as the fact that no one in your party really trusts each other at first. And also why the game ends when the MC dies. Because no one else is you, and they're certainly not going to die for you like they do in P4 or P5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also in p3's case there is actually a direct plot reason for it

part of nyx is in the protag so if they die they pop out and nuke the world

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
On the topic of cut content in Eiyuden, if you go to the right side of the third floor of the castle, where the statue is and where doors to other rooms are on the other floors, you can actually enter what looks like an unused room, likely once intended to be a sort of common room for the cast (given the bar in the corner). It only has a pre-repair form, so it was likely meant to be dummied out, but they left the interaction point for the door intact.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think you need a guide for the linked episodes at all in P3R. You get a text saying "hey we need to hang out" and then you hang out. Impossible to miss.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Persona 3 was better when it forced you to use the tactical options/call outs and engage with the themes and combat mechanics because holy poo poo even in FES with full team control every tartarus dive was a single nighter and a loving joke and it's only got easier with every 'QoL' update that just smoothed out any possible chance you'd face even a speed bump up on the combat side.

People like to piss and moan about party members wasting turns on not healing or prioritizing poo poo weirdly but that only happens if you put them on "Do Whatever" mode. Going to tactics and making called shots as the leader to make them focused ruled and fit the tone and themes they were going for so much more.

Much like the character writing and themes everything since P3's initial launch has just been a series of games having anything even a little bumpy smoothed off and that's why P5 is incredibly stylish and hollow on the inside.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Persona 3 was better when it forced you to use the tactical options/call outs and engage with the themes and combat mechanics because holy poo poo even in FES with full team control every tartarus dive was a single nighter and a loving joke and it's only got easier with every 'QoL' update that just smoothed out any possible chance you'd face even a speed bump up on the combat side.

People like to piss and moan about party members wasting turns on not healing or prioritizing poo poo weirdly but that only happens if you put them on "Do Whatever" mode. Going to tactics and making called shots as the leader to make them focused ruled and fit the tone and themes they were going for so much more.

Much like the character writing and themes everything since P3's initial launch has just been a series of games having anything even a little bumpy smoothed off and that's why P5 is incredibly stylish and hollow on the inside.

Yep, this is completely right. It’s like how, contrary to logic, it actually hurt the game to make the dungeons full of character and unique content. In P5, it often feels like the palaces are the real game, and the social side is something you do to cool off when you don’t have a palace to work on. It’s an extended denouement. But in 3, it’s clear Tartarus is a chore like any other, no different from going to the mall. It gives the everyday experience the primacy it deserves.

SEES members refusing to go to Tartarus because they had plans to do other poo poo that night was great as well, and similarly died because it added friction to the game to know that Yukari had her own life to live and wasn’t always going to be around to help you out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the original persona 3 wasn't perfect but it had a pretty unique idea that they have just decided to wholly discard rather than build on in any meaningful way. even in portable where i generally prefer some of the wider changes i have to admit it bums me out how little the life sim really amounts to with its edges sanded off but its more frustratingly basic facets left as is. i'm sure it's made the persona games more enjoyable as regular dungeon crawling rpgs but i have so many other options for dungeon crawling rpgs, i'd like if this big popular one really was any meaningfully different

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I can't imagine defending the fact that Mitsuru is going to cast a lovely charm ability on an enemy rather than healing you, right after you took a hit down to your last digits of health.

Lack party control sucks. Sometimes it can work, but not in a turn-based RPG.

If the game's biggest source of difficulty and 'balance' is the fact that your party is a group of dunderheads then yeah I think that's a good feature to remove.

Edit: I agree with nrook though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's impossible to say that it cannot work for certain. maybe it could have, if they bothered thinking of how to build on it instead of scrapping it immediately, but they went with the easier option so now the combat just functions more like standard rpg combat and the structural difference of persona compared to other rpgs matters less

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
PS2 p3 fans I realize are the type of Monster Hunter vets that are really mad you only hit the rock once to get materials instead of 20

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont want persona games to be extremely rough to play. i want the opposite. i want them to stick with the ideas they had but polish them so they're easier to grapple with and more dynamic and fun. i want social links to have more going on than a pure "right choice/mid choice/wrong choice" thing. i want characters to have their own wallets and inventories and their own days where they'll go off to train alone if you don't level them for a while. i want them to make a persona game that's more like a lite gunparade march that's not quite as detailed but works smoother to just simulate the experience of being in a place and interacting with some guys

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Colonel posted:

it's impossible to say that it cannot work for certain. maybe it could have, if they bothered thinking of how to build on it instead of scrapping it immediately, but they went with the easier option so now the combat just functions more like standard rpg combat and the structural difference of persona compared to other rpgs matters less

I mean, yeah there are ways to make an ally-controlled party work. Gambits, fine-tune options, or even just a better AI in general that works like you'd want one to. And it added a certain uniqueness to the combat, that's undeniable. If they had attempted to rework that in the remake, that may have had a positive outcome. But it certainly was a source of annoyance in the original, and there was a reason it was removed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Lack party control sucks. Sometimes it can work, but not in a turn-based RPG.

If the game's biggest source of difficulty and 'balance' is the fact that your party is a group of dunderheads then yeah I think that's a good feature to remove.

I think calling shots as the leader who's gimmick is being able to fill in slots where the rest fall short in the heat of the moment is cool actually and they're not stupid just the players who didn't hit "Focus on Healing" when they needed to focus on healing are dumb for not engaging with the mechanics.

Tae posted:

PS2 p3 fans I realize are the type of Monster Hunter vets that are really mad you only hit the rock once to get materials instead of 20

Nope that was pointless busy work because you're very very rarely pressedfor time when mining in MonHun where as the separation of control from the party is more interesting mechanically and much more fitting thematically as said above.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
dq4 had better party ai than p3, even with kiryl's thwack bug, it can be done, atlus just didn't want to take the effort

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

dq4 had better party ai than p3, even with kiryl's thwack bug, it can be done, atlus just didn't want to take the effort

Again, disagree because using the tactic commands and priority focus stuff I never ran into the meme issue of not getting healed because they cast a status effect. user error.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want ai controlled party members because the most interesting idea persona has is the interlocking of your mechanical and narrative relationship with your party and if you built a system that more effectively leaned into the idea that you're starting out as a bunch of bumbling assholes who barely get how each other operate and then ending the game as an interlinked superteam who always know the perfect set up and follow through for each other that's a way more exciting idea for that kind of game persona is, than a prettier and faster digital devil saga, which if i wanted that i could just play a game that is a regular dungeon crawler. this is the same complaint i've had about persona forever. i want persona games to put as much into mechanical conveyance of their stylish freewheeling vibe as they do into their art and animation and music. i want everything about persona to feed more into the idea that i'm learning about and bouncing off these guys rather than looking up a faq to see what the things they want me to say are and how to set them up in battle

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Again, disagree because using the tactic commands and priority focus stuff I never ran into the meme issue of not getting healed because they cast a status effect. user error.

i didn't have any trouble with it either (and never ran into the so called common issue of the final boss taking an hour and a half only for someone to diarahan it) but it could hav ebeen a lot better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One fight against the minotaur in SMTIV where you have Walter as support will radicalize anyone to full party control.

P3 had some themes, it tried for those themes, I'll never know it they succeeded because I can't get far enough into the game to judge it fairly. I did like the lore explanation for why the MC going down leads to game over even if I didn't like it mechanically.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the original game is an admirable first attempt at something they weren't sure about and the ideas it put down have never really been picked up by anyone who was interested in figuring out how to build anything out of them properly

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think calling shots as the leader who's gimmick is being able to fill in slots where the rest fall short in the heat of the moment is cool actually and they're not stupid just the players who didn't hit "Focus on Healing" when they needed to focus on healing are dumb for not engaging with the mechanics.

Yeah man I'd rather have the healers burn through their sp casting diarahan when someone got looked at wrong. And you can only change tactics on your turn.

This isn't 'calling the shots', it's making the most vague commands to a party in a situation that can turn on its head in a single enemy action, and not being able to say 'actually now is not the best time to do that' is limiting in the worst way.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I dunno. I know there's a famous comic that did that but in my experience in FES, if the main character's fairly low health an AI character will use some form of healing on the MC unless they're set to Full Assault (which explicitly forgoes Healing or Support abilities to try and kill enemies ASAP) or Stand By (Do Nothing setting) and considerably earlier if they're set for Heal/Support or Act Freely. The AI is pretty dumb on completely new enemies, but even that was a major element of the P3- filling out the info screen on various enemies so the AI would know what spells/status effects/etc. they actually acted on revealed information, which lended to the game's structure more about tackling Tartarus in runs instead of just trying to one-shot it with pre-knowledge of the enemies you face.

It wasn't a perfect system or the most intuitive, but it made for a very different and more interesting game then later versions of P3 did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy XIII did lack of direct party control/calling the shots as the leader better

And no, I'm not kidding

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the issue p3load had is if you take out all the rough, slightly hostile elements like link management/fatigue/party control, you need to fill that gap with something, or you don't have much more than a very basic game left

This is probably partially why p5/p5r have ridiculous amounts of side activities to do. p3load kiiinda tried it with extra social stuff but the game still has a ton of spots where you just kinda don't do anything but go through the days, because the social stuff is now far too easy to balance with your dungeon crawling, and the challenge of managing it is mostly gone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i don't know what it is, but somehow dragon quest is really really good at AI party control outside of like, boss fights which need specific actions/debuffs to happen

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

Final Fantasy XIII did lack of direct party control/calling the shots as the leader better

And no, I'm not kidding

I'm not sure 'better' is the right word. It did it with less Friction, and did so because the goals of the system were different. XIII didn't want your party to work as individuals with their own abilities and whatnot, they wanted them to act as an extension of the leader, with roles giving every character an extremely limited action set available at any given time that stopped them from doing anything besides what you wanted them to do. The worst thing a character in XIII could do if you switched them properly to the role you wanted is use the wrong attack element or guard, something that would immediately be corrected the very next ATB and almost never caused any real impact except in the extremely rare occasion that failing lead to the leader getting merc'd.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the issue p3load had is if you take out all the rough, slightly hostile elements like link management/fatigue/party control, you need to fill that gap with something, or you don't have much more than a very basic game left

This is probably partially why p5/p5r have ridiculous amounts of side activities to do. p3load kiiinda tried it with extra social stuff but the game still has a ton of spots where you just kinda don't do anything but go through the days, because the social stuff is now far too easy to balance with your dungeon crawling, and the challenge of managing it is mostly gone

Yeah I generally agree with this.

Outside of the social stuff, I think switching to full party control in P4 and P5 was probably the right move but I also think that adding full party control to P3 without a greater overhauling of the mechanics of the game was probably the wrong move. They redid party control to be more like P5, but P5 is a game with bosses and encounters more clearly designed around the idea that you're controlling everyone. P3 wasn't designed that way, so a lot of it doesn't really seem to make as much sense.

I mean, I personally prefer controlling party members directly so I'm not that upset about it being added to P3 but I can recognize that the game loses something without it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AI controlled party members is bad because I dislike the 'super powerful MC and a bunch of hanger ons' that it made the original P3 feel like.

Even if it's entirely the same in 4 and 5 the other party members at least feel more important due to not being NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are there any rpgs where your party members will give you suggestions on how to outfit them or what skills to develop?