Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wait a minute...they used real dead bodies in Poltergeist?! What the gently caress?? This whole movie is about the dangers of desecrating the dead!!
Must've been John Landis secretly co-directing this poo poo. Is this one of those movies where the cast was supposedly cursed afterwards cuz if so that makes a lot of sense.

they used to use real skeletons in movies all the time because they were cheaper than making a practical one... hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
but my corpse would be honored to be in a cool rear end horror movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do we get some Tom Savini motherfucker or do we get a bunch of cheap skeletons from India....hmmmm
That does make sense though, I'd forgotten that about older movies...just what a crazy juxtaposition with this movie specifically

I'd be honored to be a skeleton in Unfriended 3

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

they also used a real possessed animate demon tree but nobody mentions that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont think poltergeist, exorcist or the omen are cursed movies are hard to make and its a miracle any gets made without people dying constantly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is We Saw the TV Glow any good

honestly the trailer and reviews make it sound more like a mumblecore movie than anything

i dont even know what that means tbh

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Do we even have a general Alien thread anymore? Was talking about Prometheus + Covenant with some friends and it struck me how an aspect of those two movies I never see discussed is how it presents having faith as the single worst possible choice you can make with your life.

There's 2 of them.

SciFi-WiFi: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728298&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883563

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they used to use real skeletons in movies all the time because they were cheaper than making a practical one... hosed up

What happened that drove down the price of fake skeletons?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Do we get some Tom Savini motherfucker or do we get a bunch of cheap skeletons from India....hmmmm
That does make sense though, I'd forgotten that about older movies...just what a crazy juxtaposition with this movie specifically

I'd be honored to be a skeleton in Unfriended 3

I was watching The Return of the Living Dead with the director's commentary track the other night, and Dan O'Bannon was joking about how they talk about the Indian skeleton farms in his movie and then, a year or two later, they stopped exporting the bones. He also mused about how India could possibly consistently produce skeletons with perfect teeth. "You know who has perfect teeth? Young people..."

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

You should check out the John Langan short story Technicolor. It’s a really fun little riff on Masque that I think about surprisingly often.

The only way I know to get it is in his collection, The Wide carnivorous Sky though. For what it’s worth, the rest of the book is some A+ short horror fiction.

One of my absolute favorite short stories. The collection is currently free to check out on Kindle Unlimited, btw.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

david's story must be finished... let ridley scott direct another alien movie cowards

Raised by Wolves, too. Just do a crossover

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Crescent Wrench posted:

I was watching The Return of the Living Dead with the director's commentary track the other night, and Dan O'Bannon was joking about how they talk about the Indian skeleton farms in his movie and then, a year or two later, they stopped exporting the bones. He also mused about how India could possibly consistently produce skeletons with perfect teeth. "You know who has perfect teeth? Young people..."

I should watch with the commentary.

I watched with the zombie subtitles pay month and it was cute but also only mildly funny leaning into cringe. I didn't regret but also don't recommend.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I did think it was funny that Craig T Nelson was skeptical of Zelda at first.
"I've seen proof positive of ghosts, but like...psychics?? Psh. 🙄"
Also it made me think of Paranormal Activity and laugh cuz these days the hollow Micahs and Katies of the world can't do much other than be like "don't worry babe I'm gonna Google it" when clearly dangerous demons manifest themselves

To be fair, my read on Zelda’s character in the first poltergeist has always been that she was at least a little bit full of poo poo, not only is she totally wrong about the house being cleansed but her whole affectation leading up to and through the rescue sequence feels like someone who knows just enough to make poo poo up convincingly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's nice, cool and rainy out, so I'm keeping the vibes going with a double feature of Tarot and Abigail :yeah:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just watched Occult, thanks to it being MotM and being able to knock out a challenge thread entry for it.

It's finally happened, I think I've just converted to being a fellow Shiraishi-head. Guess I need to just dive headlong into Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mikeycp posted:

I still get bummed out about how lovely the koji discord was the last time I popped in there

You’re understating it. It’s 4chan level frequent slurs and racism.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It sucks rear end so I'm glad someone is putting up kojis stuff elsewhere

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Just watched Occult, thanks to it being MotM and being able to knock out a challenge thread entry for it.

It's finally happened, I think I've just converted to being a fellow Shiraishi-head. Guess I need to just dive headlong into Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi.

Welcome to the other world...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Definitely check out noroi and cult before senritsu.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want someone to sub Koji's flick Murder Workshop so bad. It's another one with a variation of Shohei Eno

And his new Never Send Me series.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

fr0id posted:

You’re understating it. It’s 4chan level frequent slurs and racism.

Every time I've gone it's it's just been a guy doing anti vax rants and everybody else nodding along. Truly vile place

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Places like that could be fun to just poo poo post goatse and other gross things on.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MacheteZombie posted:

I want someone to sub Koji's flick Murder Workshop so bad. It's another one with a variation of Shohei Eno

Yeah that is apparently where his look in Final Chapter comes from specifically. Its def a mix of the two characters instead of just being the guy from Occult strictly.

MacheteZombie posted:

Definitely check out noroi and cult before senritsu.

Yeah like, you don't need to, but his found footage stuff builds upon each other. Lot of ideas he revisits and tweaks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sweet, I'll track down Noroi and Cult first then.

Cuz Occult was loving brilliant, just some pure bad vibes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Genuinely at this point I'd maybe recommend watching in release order.

I should also get around to struggling through his textbook at some point

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It's listed in my will that my skeleton shall be used in the remake of Army of Darkness and I want it to say I have a bone to pick with you before getting decapitated by Ash

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I watched all three The Thingses. The Thing (2011) was quite bad and honestly felt like it completely missed what made the 1981 movie so amazing, and was just a bland generic "monster chases people in the hallways" movie, with laughably bad CGI.

Then I discovered the movie guys had actually made REALLY loving GOOD LOOKING practical effects that nail the look and feel of Carpenter's original, and the studio made them paint over the practical effects with loving PS2 level CGI because focus groups thought the practical effects made the movie look old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8ASn25GLg

I want to say bad words about these loving idiots.

(and also I'm suddenly questioning a lot of the other bad stuff in the movie and wondering how much of it was mandated by the studio)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Genuinely at this point I'd maybe recommend watching in release order.

I should also get around to struggling through his textbook at some point

Excuse me his what

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sweet, I'll track down Noroi and Cult first then.

Cuz Occult was loving brilliant, just some pure bad vibes.

Also you'll need to squeeze the Occult forest tv series into the senritsu watch. It's like an alt universe with a different actress playing Ichikawa who is flying solo on her investigations.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah that is apparently where his look in Final Chapter comes from specifically. Its def a mix of the two characters instead of just being the guy from Occult strictly.

Aww poo poo I didn't know that, very cool. I just figured the final chapter one was just an alt universe one.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
LOOP TRACK loving rocks. highly recommend but beware!!! it's a lil bit of a slow burn.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Do we even have a general Alien thread anymore?
You still don't know what you're dealing with, do you? Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility. The Perfect Organism.

https://i.imgur.com/SZw2usb.mp4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, the Outwaters/Japanese Cube/Creppypasta DVD 3-pack I got turned out to be a real bad blind buy across the board.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

It's nice, cool and rainy out, so I'm keeping the vibes going with a double feature of Tarot and Abigail :yeah:

Abigail was amazing and I'm fully on board with the continuing Radio Silence tradition of everything ending in bloodbaths :rubby: glad I ended my double feature with this

Tarot...as a PG jump-scare lite-Final Destination it was almost starting to win me over after the (mild spoiler) car on the bridge scene, but it went back to losing me with its final ten minutes between pacing, poor twists, and worse lighting (that was only present exclusively for those final ten minutes. Wasn't even close to Game of Thrones-tier difficult to see poo poo any other point but during the big climax). Liked some of the main cast, would have loved some of the kills if we'd gotten to see more of them/R-rated versions. At least we'll get to see the real thing soon enough: Final Destination Bloodlines filming ends after next week https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Destination:_Bloodlines :getin:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tarot has cool looking ghouls.

A Tarot Deck has like 78 cards so it opens it up to at least a dozen sequels because I doubt the film has 78 ghosts.

I dream of directing Tarot part 8: In Space in 2035.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Doltos posted:

They made two sequels and remade it a little while back. The second one is alright

The sequel has the braces scene, which scared the absolute poo poo out of me as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOLECuygTQ

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Excuse me his what

He wrote a book on the history of and making of fake documentary. It comes with a DVD with some shorts and stuff too.

https://amzn.asia/d/9liKJvn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's awesome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mikeycp posted:

He wrote a book on the history of and making of fake documentary. It comes with a DVD with some shorts and stuff too.

https://amzn.asia/d/9liKJvn

drat that’s cheap for a textbook.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Didn't really like Final Chapter tbh. It kinda lost me. Perverted Shiraishi is worst Shiraishi. It's like the kind of stuff I didn't really enjoy about A Record of Sweet Murder, and I loved the first movie. A lot of weird bullshit and callbacks. I like the weird dimensions and effects and Ishikawa Kudo but I'm sorta underwhelmed. Like the whole panty theft sexual assault what the gently caress,
Cool flesh cannon though

Yea, final chapter is probably the worst. Record of a sweet murder tries to lampshade it as the couple's fetish that she wants to gently caress a stranger while her boyfriend watches but come on man

RE:Wingard going back to his roots at A24 and The Stewart/Issac/cosmatos news...

gently caress yes

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

As long as my skeleton got listed in the credits, I'd be up for my bones to be in a horror movie. Skeleton at the desk: M_Sinistrari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Explode my corpse with C4.

Bone shrapnel everywhere.

Ala Bonestorm in VHS.