Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Are there any rpgs where your party members will give you suggestions on how to outfit them or what skills to develop?

The vanilla version of The Last Remnant equipping your party members with better gear was a bit of a hassle because they would yoink it out of your inventory or ask for stuff for inscrutable reasons based on their personality?/wants?/whatever SaGa mechanic it was

If "your party" is nebulous Stronghold 1 and 2 are rts games where you run a town and you have to build it up to lure adventurers in who equip/develop their own skills and you try to react to whatever they get up to in order to support them, in theory.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rinkles posted:

Are there any rpgs where your party members will give you suggestions on how to outfit them or what skills to develop?

More like the opposite but The Last Remnant had a pretty interesting system for managing party members. They all had their own inventories and would request monster bits for upgrades after fights. They'd occasionally ask you for advice on which way they should develop their skills or ask to go out fighting if they were close to an upgrade of some sort. Some of this got streamlined away in the rerelease, like I think you can just give them gear now without them having to request it, but it's still a kinda cool way to handle having to gear dozens of party members due to how TLRs party sizes work.

E;fb

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a line in a text file that disables being able to manually equip your party members in lr. but enabling it doesn't work that well either, because the material request system doesn't take it into account.

it's kind of dumb that there's a full fledged equipment crafting system that you can only ever use for rush, though. it's more or less saga. jumping around to different weapon types isn't a good idea, so you'll likely only ever craft a small quantity of a single weapon category. so the rest of the system is just sitting there, useless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 5, 2024

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ironically all of those "your party member save your rear end automatically" abilities that they added in golden and P5 would be great in OG AI control P3.

Imagine how cool it would be if Junpei start protecting you after his development in the story or if Mitsuru and Yukari has a super attack when they start being friends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

fire emblem three houses

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Rinkles posted:

eder will neg you.
"Hope you're not expecting much"

in the sequel, the best cRPG yet made, he's more advice-ful
"I suppose I'm as good a target as any"
thank you designed tank

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that said the pillars do NOT have good fashion souls support, so.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

I wanted to buy SaGa: Emerald Beyond but nothing has been really hitting for me since Unicorn Overlord and I'm scared of spending 50$ on a game I might not enjoy.

Note that SaGa does have a free demo available. Has a couple hours' worth of content and should be enough to let you know if you'll enjoy the full game or not. If you do buy the game, your progress transfers over, too!

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think people also just see the list of hands and get scared even though its like, you don't need to know what a 13 orphans is off the bat

they should make balatro mahjong, people would learn stuff then

There is this that's in the works

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2861660/ULTIMAHJONG/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like Im doing something wrong in Forspoken's combat. It just doesnt feel right, somethings off and Im not totally sure what Im missing. The tap button to shoot is something I dont like for how little damage you deal and how short the range is, and it seems to exist so you can have a charge attack. The game has dodge offset mechanics so why isn't that just how I do charge moves?

It seems like dodging isn't a single command, you sort of mash it because for each burst of the parkour meter you have a period where you are dodging and requires no more meter but if you stop mashing it just ends. Combat feels cinematic but kind of slow because Im waiting for this pack of enemies to finish their 10 attacks in a row or the bos's 5 hit combo but not able to counter attack until they're finished and stopping my dodge spamming means I get hit as I can't start a fresh one up fast enough.

Traversal is quite nice, drat shame the people talking during it are actively loathsome.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 5, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, so, I finally have everyone recruited in Eiyuden, and, I don't know if anyone cares about some rando's opinion, but in case someone's got choice paralysis, or just wants to know who might be worth experimenting with without needing to level them up themselves, here's my undetailed hot take on character quality (I'll put in spoiler tags just in case):

Overpowered: Iugo, Isha, Momo

Great: Nowa, Yusuke, Mellore, Francesca, Gieran, Falward, Lam, Maureus, Reyna, Elektra

Good: Garr, Lian, Kuroto, Sabine, Kogen, Zabi, Wyler, Galdorf, Marisa, Garoo, Carrie, Hakugin, Melridge, Milana, Yuferius VII, CJ, Aoi, Wayve, El Alicanto, Dijkstra, Markus, Celia, Lakian, Viesskin

Bad: Mio, Yuthus, Marin, Riufan, Leon*, Barnard, Seign, Hildi, Valentin, Yaelu, Quinn, Scarlet, Aleior**, Shixeen, Chandra**, Alwe, Maxim, Lilwn, Foxiel

Unusable: Yume, Kallathor, Dr. Corque, Gigina, Faye, Pohl, Ivy, Mihlu, Perrielle, Prunella*, Jorhan, Nil, Rudy, Reid

Impossible to properly categorize because of how customizable she is: Leene

*These are both cases of characters that would be fine if not for their weapon operating off of the wrong stat; Leon is better because his magic is pretty incredible, the two or three times you can cast it between rests, whereas Prunella doesn't have any way to put her attack stat to use

**It might be worth experimenting with the big beasts, but I find it's not worth the extra party slot

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neat, Elma is a blade in XB2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i don't know what it is, but somehow dragon quest is really really good at AI party control outside of like, boss fights which need specific actions/debuffs to happen

It works great in Dragon Quest because the battle strategy is mostly about balancing risk against efficiency, rather than planning ahead. Spells are only a bit stronger than basic attacks, but enough so that picking the right one will reduce the number of attacks the enemy will get a chance to perform before they die - so choosing the party's tactics is mostly a question of whether you'd prefer to spend MP on offense or on healing. As long as you choose an effective move instead of an ineffective one, all options have about the same average return on the MP spent - and the AI will typically only choose effective moves, because unlike the player, the AI reacts to the state of combat as of the moment they take their turn, and is aware of the enemy's elemental weaknesses, status vulnerabilities, and HP total.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bongo Bill posted:

It works great in Dragon Quest because the battle strategy is mostly about balancing risk against efficiency, rather than planning ahead. Spells are only a bit stronger than basic attacks, but enough so that picking the right one will reduce the number of attacks the enemy will get a chance to perform before they die - so choosing the party's tactics is mostly a question of whether you'd prefer to spend MP on offense or on healing. As long as you choose an effective move instead of an ineffective one, all options have about the same average return on the MP spent - and the AI will typically only choose effective moves, because unlike the player, the AI reacts to the state of combat as of the moment they take their turn, and is aware of the enemy's elemental weaknesses, status vulnerabilities, and HP total.

drat..... you know more about dragon quest than i do dude.

though yeah it makes sense. a lot of turn based combat is really based on tempo. that's why things that let you do stuff for free, like heal+attack moves, or special moves that let you do stuff without using your turn, are so powerful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do you think I was just bad at XB2, or did battles take too long in that game? In XBX once I figured a direction to spec into I was killing on level enemies in seconds, whilst in XB2 most encounters felt like a slog even 30 hours in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xb2 battles are longer but not that much longer. that said autoattack cancelling like makes battles go twice as fast and the game literally never says its a mechanic

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

though yeah it makes sense. a lot of turn based combat is really based on tempo. that's why things that let you do stuff for free, like heal+attack moves, or special moves that let you do stuff without using your turn, are so powerful.

It's also true in tabletop, action economy is usually the most powerful asset a player can have.

In ttrpgs, effects that give you more actions or reduce or even eliminate your enemies' actions are second only to being able to outright remove something from the board entirely. In wargames this is usually why being outnumbered is such a big deal. Each discrete unit on the board is, essentially, a set of actions a player can take. If one player has eight units and another player has twelve, in most systems the second player functionally has four more actions they can take on their turn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just to go to persona 3load again, Ken's theurgy is so loving busted because it fully restores the party's HP, and gives the full party one barrier. that is like, 8 actions, in zero moves, which is ridiculous.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So there are defenders for the original intent of Persona 3, but nobody is going to bat for XC2's gacha. The Torna DLC comes with free rare cores in the base game. I opened all 30 of them and I still didnt get loving KOS-MOS.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So there are defenders for the original intent of Persona 3, but nobody is going to bat for XC2's gacha. The Torna DLC comes with free rare cores in the base game. I opened all 30 of them and I still didnt get loving KOS-MOS.

Skill issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

xb2 battles are longer but not that much longer. that said autoattack cancelling like makes battles go twice as fast and the game literally never says its a mechanic

I figured out that much, but probably wasn’t optimizing enough elsewhere. The combat had so many layers to it. Even the stuff I knew about was often just hard to orchestrate.

But like I’ve said before, I enjoyed the slow, gradual process putting all the pieces together, each step of the way realizing there’s even more to it. I’ve never experienced anything quite like that in a game before (and XBX comes close).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Do you think I was just bad at XB2, or did battles take too long in that game? In XBX once I figured a direction to spec into I was killing on level enemies in seconds, whilst in XB2 most encounters felt like a slog even 30 hours in.

There's a lot of underlying, never-explained mechanics in XB2. But usually the top three tips I have are: buy and use pouch items that give Arts Recharge (the Narcipear Jelly in the very first town, for example), make sure you have and inflict Break on enemies before using your Specials (thus making a Fusion Combo), and as Endorph said, auto-cancelling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i get the intent of the XB2 gacha but it was very poorly implemented. imo they should have made pull currency much rarer and put only unique blades in the pool. that way if you do everything in the game you get all of the characters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think you need a guide for the linked episodes at all in P3R. You get a text saying "hey we need to hang out" and then you hang out. Impossible to miss.

The issue is that if you miss a linked episode then the entire chain is cancelled. Cutting off a character arc and denying a new persona fusion. With the social links you can just leave the person hanging for months.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, by the way, here's a tip for Eiyuden: unless you really want the exclusive accessories (which are good, but not, like, game-changing), avoid doing Eggfoot races until you've unlocked the final dungeon. See, before that part, what happens is you get a special scene with the person from your castle with whom you've initiated the most conversations, and if you do enough Eggfoot races to actually beat all five of the final courses, you will have engaged in likely around 150 races, and each of those counts as a conversation with Paquia, making it much, much more tedious for you to go talk to someone else a bunch to get their scene, whereas normally, your top person is gonna be like Cassandra or Sumire with maybe around 50, which is easier to top.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I would actually support the XB2 gacha if it had a universal pity that made getting all the Blades reasonably doable. Or some other reasonable way to fill out your roster in the late-game. I also don't like the way you end up with zillions of common Blades, and how the highest quality ones end up being necessary for getting more Overdrive Protocols. This was another thing that was awful at release and alleviated somewhat by the DLC that gives you a bunch (the way Blades are bound to whoever rolled them). A certain plot event makes this even more malicious towards the player (since it basically doesn't make sense to have anyone bound to Rex).

In theory, I like the idea of getting some unpredictable Blades to use throughout the game. It's just that drop rates become obscenely low later on. They should have at least added a pity so you always get something new every N rolls.

Also lol at you commenting on not getting KOS-MOS in 30 rare cores. I have never gotten KOS-MOS across....at least like 500 rare cores and god only knows how many common and legendaries.

Edit: Once you get to the last handful of Blades, you can easily go hundreds of cores (with a bunch of rares and some legendaries mixed in) without getting anyone new. It's really bad and I genuinely have no idea what they were thinking with the rates.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 5, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Terper posted:

There's a lot of underlying, never-explained mechanics in XB2. But usually the top three tips I have are: buy and use pouch items that give Arts Recharge (the Narcipear Jelly in the very first town, for example), make sure you have and inflict Break on enemies before using your Specials (thus making a Fusion Combo), and as Endorph said, auto-cancelling.

Pretty sure I didn’t put enough thought into what I put into pouches, yeah

Endorph posted:

i get the intent of the XB2 gacha but it was very poorly implemented. imo they should have made pull currency much rarer and put only unique blades in the pool. that way if you do everything in the game you get all of the characters.

Yup. I was open minded about the idea, but ended up hating it. Maybe there should have been some minor consolation prize for rolling crap (maybe there was and I’m forgetting).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, by the way, here's a tip for Eiyuden: unless you really want the exclusive accessories (which are good, but not, like, game-changing), avoid doing Eggfoot races until you've unlocked the final dungeon. See, before that part, what happens is you get a special scene with the person from your castle with whom you've initiated the most conversations, and if you do enough Eggfoot races to actually beat all five of the final courses, you will have engaged in likely around 150 races, and each of those counts as a conversation with Paquia, making it much, much more tedious for you to go talk to someone else a bunch to get their scene, whereas normally, your top person is gonna be like Cassandra or Sumire with maybe around 50, which is easier to top.

Oh god, it’s Dragon’s Dogma and your Beloved all over again. Time to spam conversations so my best friend is the nastiest little gremlin I can find.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Oh god, it’s Dragon’s Dogma and your Beloved all over again. Time to spam conversations so my best friend is the nastiest little gremlin I can find.

I'm going with Dr. Corque because beigoma power is what I need.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Gacha system undermines the whole 'blades are people too' angle when 99% of them are faceless redshirts that the player sends on boring missions like doing peoples laundry. Their screwed up life cycle isnt properly addressed and resolved until the next game.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 5, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm going with Dr. Corque because beigoma power is what I need.

I’m thinking Nell because I too want to crawl into a bag and never come out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Gacha system undermines the whole 'blades are people too' angle when 99% of them are faceless redshirts that the player sends on boring missions like doing peoples laundry. Their screwed up life cycle isnt properly addressed and resolved until the next game.

This is more an issue with Blade depictions in general. Most Blades have the exact same visual style, except for the ones that are all crazy looking that you can acquire (or your party members have). IIRC you can maybe explain it as Blades earlier into their lifecycle(s) having not absorbed as much info from Drivers to develop independently yet. Not sure if that explanation actually holds up, though (and it doesn't explain a lot of the crazy poo poo you see in the various Blade designs).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Isn't this just like how most people who aren't party members look like generic npcs

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bussamove posted:

I’m thinking Nell because I too want to crawl into a bag and never come out.

I really hope somebody puts up a compilation of all the scenes at some point, because there are a ton I'd love to see but do not have the patience to grind out. Glen, Mandie, Yusuke, Carrie, Gieran, El Alicanto, Maureus, Reid, and probably some others I haven't thought of. Hell, Paquia's scene is pretty cute, too, kind of a stereotypical anime confession except the girl's wearing an eggshell on her head.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For Eiyuden like I said I pulled a Dragon's Dogma cause I got Gocteau

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure I didn’t put enough thought into what I put into pouches, yeah

Yup. I was open minded about the idea, but ended up hating it. Maybe there should have been some minor consolation prize for rolling crap (maybe there was and I’m forgetting).

IIRC there is a pity system, but it's glitched so it doesn't actually work right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

IIRC there is a pity system, but it's glitched so it doesn't actually work right.

Its, also even if it works right, kind of useless because its a pity system for five rare blades, after which it no longer does anything to help you as though players would just... not want more rare blades?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Xenoblade 2 gacha is terrible if you're a completionist who absolutely has to open every potional field skill thing or you if you just want a very specific blade, and largely innocuous if neither of those things are true. The story blades are more than good enough to get you through the main story of the game even if you never pull a single gacha blade.

Basically the only character who really badly wants gacha blades to shine is Zeke(and he's a great Crossette user and you get her for free if you have the DLC).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 5, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also the blades being tied to a specific user while thematically relevant is not mechanically very satisfying when you are blind boxing your openings onto characters who do have semi defined roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Man, the mechanics in these games really do have so many nooks and crannies (some of which maybe should be communicated a little better). 60 hours in, I just learned that on top of art/skill/weapon differences, in XBX classes also come with different stat bonuses.