Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

The only one I need

It’s the rpg for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'm sorry that you seem to ignore or downplay that he literally punches a woman out for arguing with him. Like, that's not 'warping the narrative', that is the literal text of that scene. That's a step too far for me, even if it apparently isn't for you.

I keep comparing him to Jotaro Kujo, and I actually didn't bring up that I dislike Jotaro for a very similar reason. I didn't bring that up because I just assumed that something like that wouldn't happen in this, so it would've just felt like a weird non-sequitir of a comparison point, but... welp.

You know, screw you for this one. This is insanely disingenious. "HIt someone to knock them out so they can be taken to safety" is a common-rear end trope and you are well aware of it and it happens in multiple Final Fantasy games. You, specifically, are the one pretending like it is Jack doing a roundhouse punch to someone's face like a domestic abuser and that is 100% loving on you.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the mod message, I'll leave it there.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

HopperUK posted:

I've queued a break for Cleretic. Not for disliking a game or for posting hot takes, but for cutely suggesting another poster doesn't care about domestic abuse as much as they do. Let's draw a line under that one for now.

Christ almighty

Appreciate it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I want Cloud to shove his sword deep into Elena, repeatedly. With lots of blood. Maybe even cut her head off. And then I want him to do it to Scarlet.

this is a super weird post

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I want Cloud to shove his sword deep into Elena, repeatedly. With lots of blood. Maybe even cut her head off. And then I want him to do it to Scarlet.

Im going to make you pay for this

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Waltzing Along posted:

creep

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Subject change, then.

Do people prefer FFs with more rigid job roles (IV, IX, XV, arguably X/XIII/VII-Remake), free flexibility (V, X-2, XII), or some middle-road where characters have a certain role/identity but can still freely access things like magic, just limited by stats (VI, VII, VIII)?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Rigid. I like all my characters have clearly defined identities. V's still really good though.

7R is my favorite combat in the series though and it's got at least a bit of flexibility to it.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 5, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

Do people prefer FFs with more rigid job roles (IV, IX, XV, arguably X/XIII/VII-Remake), free flexibility (V, X-2), or some middle-road where characters have a certain role/identity but can still freely access things like magic, just limited by stats (VI, VII, VIII)?

As much as I don't like 5, when it comes to Job Systems, it, and FFT, are my Gold Standard. I really enjoy having that kind of freedom with my characters.

After that, I prefer things like 6/7/8, where I can customize things.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No real preference, probably. 6 is my favourite classic FF and I like 4, with static jobs, but I don't like 9. I like Tactics because of the job system, but I don't like 5. I also like Bravely Default and like the cross classing in Octopath. The rest in the middle, 7, 8, etc., with customization are also good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

Do people prefer FFs with more rigid job roles (IV, IX, XV, arguably X/XIII/VII-Remake), free flexibility (V, X-2, XII), or some middle-road where characters have a certain role/identity but can still freely access things like magic, just limited by stats (VI, VII, VIII)?

I’m a dumbass with no creativity in RPGs so I like it when characters have clear roles like in X (which I guess offers you some flexibility if you’re smart but you aren’t obliged to do it to beat the game). As soon as it’s my responsibility to make characters good at things I start to panic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

I prefer at least some rigidity. I like each character having their own unique aspects beyond just limit breaks. I still love job systems but I do feel they detract a bit from the uniqueness of the characters if there isn't more than defines them. FF7R basically hits the perfect spot for me where each character is so distinct and unique they could function without Materia and still be fun to play but then Materia allows you to customize them more.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

I'm not good at making interesting parties in games that offer a lot of character customization; my impulse is to make everyone into a generic all-rounder who can do whatever I happen to need on any given turn. On my first playthrough of FF5 I ended up using four Mimes loaded up with magic commands, and I rotated Espers around in FF6 to get everybody as big a range of magic as possible. I appreciated FF4 for just saying "okay, these are your characters for this part of the game" and forcing me to find ways to play to their strengths.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah, I like both extremes of "the situation has gone from bad to worse, here is your new team comp" and "bust the game open with increasingly complex combinations of abilities and gear and defeat powerful combat puzzle entities" and am happy that Final Fantasy has more or less space enough for both :)

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I like my Final Fantasy characters like I like my dicks, rigid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like my Final Fantasy characters to just have silly laughs.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Generally in RPGs I like characters having roles because, like, if the writers have any skill at all the combat role helps inform their characterization and story and poo poo. However within that I do want some flexibility. I guess FFIX would be the closest that way, I'm also thinking of Trials of Mana and Dragon Quest VIII & XI.
OR I also like Job systems like FFV/X-2/Tactics and Bravely Default because I like sticking builds together into a killing machine. Also then I pick the demure healer-coded waif and make them a barbarian because I think it's funny.
However I don't really care for the FFX-style system where everyone learns every skill. it kinda homogenized everyone. You still have differences in Limit Breaks and only Yuna can summon but once you've thrown everyone across the Sphere Grid there's like a 5% difference in stats between characters.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All of my favorite RPGs have had job systems so i would like it if every FF was variations of V and X-2 until the end of the time please.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I didn't really like 7 and 8 having the main difference between characters be their stats and limit breaks. Like yeah characters like Barrett get access to long range attacks (which is only useful in a couple fights) but characters in 7 are pretty homogenous.

8 is kind of the same except given you can trigger limit break whoever you feel like it at multiple turns, you can get a little variety if you feel like it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I absolutely do that in anything like FF5 or Bravely.

SEVERE OFF TOPIC POSTING, MODS DO NOT LOOK -- NO BAN ME: the absolutely ridiculously unheard of for any Dungeons & Dragons anything total respec in Baldur's Gate 3 makes some fun like healer girl>bulwark knight. in my second run of BG3, Gale the Wizard became Gale the Throwzerker who has the wimpiest Rage battlecry sound clip the game has to offer :)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I prefer characters to be unique in some way, but have the ability to customize them otherwise. Just--not to the extent that their existing abilities are so good/so much better than the generic versions (or than other characters') that it makes no sense to level anything other than their unique stuff.

A good example for me is Ramza: he has a unique squire class that has some abilities that other generic squires don't have, but the abilities aren't irreplaceable or you lose out by not having him in that class. A bad example from the same game? Agrias or, of course, T.G. Cid.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I'm generally a fan of character has roles but options on how to fill it. Like your healer can go all-out combat medic by adding in skill in physical combat or light magic, or you can focus more on support with expanded spellcasting or defensive/utility abilities.

Emply slates you build yourself are ok, but that's surrendering storytelling detail to let you play dress-up. Like, absolutely canon Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca is a bomb-throwing anarchist Foebreaker/Black Mage but there's bits of storytelling available if she was, say, a traditionally-trained Bushi who was just absolutely at her wits end and on an absolute rage bender, adding a bit more of a backdrop and storytelling to her arc about helping her recenter herself and walk herself back to a safer, less-strained, focused state of mind while still keeping the objectives of freeing her kingdom and crippling the Empire to stop the inevitable response.

Rigid characters who just really do one thing are the worst though, especially if that one thing isn't particularly useful. I used healer as an example above because they seem to be the role that absolutely gets it worst. There's a lot of games where either a dedicated healer is absolutely mandatory and your healer is never leaving your party so that character slot may as well be completely locked anyways, or a dedicated healer sits around doing chip damage or nothing for 80% of the game or just never in your party because a dedicated healer is complete overkill.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FF doesn't fall that badly into the healer trap at least. IV has set parties so Rosa being your only healer doesn't matter (Porom is a healer too for the GBA version). Both Garnet and Eiko can heal in IX, and in X Yuna is the dedicated healer, but can be swapped freely in and out of the party. XIII you have three different Medics with differing strengths and they switch jobs on the fly anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think another factor is how much menu-ing you can tolerate, like I love Xenoblade to bits but sometimes I think I spent longer rearranging my party/arts/skills/gems in preparation for a boss fight than I spent on the actual boss fight. Hell, there's another example, everyone has their DPS/Tank/Healer roles but each character can only have eight out of sixteen abilities equipped at any time. Except Riki who is a Red Mage that makes a better healer than your healer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF6 kind of does a decent job giving unique aspects to characters, but unfortunately, the scaling of magic vs. strength is so ridiculously off balance that magic characters have a massive edge. Give Sabin magic+2 for level ups, and he becomes so unbelievably broken, especially since he gets Phantom Rush whenever you feel like getting it. Strength characters like Edgar and Cyan just fall behind so easily.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

People who think stats are the main differences between characters in ff7 and 8 don't realize just how little the stat differences actually matter in those games. The main differences are weapon qualities and limit breaks

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I like games where you have a small set party, but you have freedom in how you build them, and ones where you have a larger cast who have semi-defined roles encouraging you to swap them around fairly regularly.

VII, VIII, or original XII, where you have swappable party members but can also easily have everyone be anything, feel a bit systemically weak to me. You're likely to just pick 3 characters you like best and sideline the others, outside of short story segments where you then just move your main party's layout over to them. X strikes a sweet spot for me on this. Where absolute endgame you can have maxed out sphere grids, but most of the game you'll have each character going along one path, and their weapons and overdrives feel more substantial to me than the differences in VII/VIII. Kimahri is still getting sidelined though.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gruckles posted:

I like games where you have a small set party, but you have freedom in how you build them, and ones where you have a larger cast who have semi-defined roles encouraging you to swap them around fairly regularly.

VII, VIII, or original XII, where you have swappable party members but can also easily have everyone be anything, feel a bit systemically weak to me. You're likely to just pick 3 characters you like best and sideline the others, outside of short story segments where you then just move your main party's layout over to them. X strikes a sweet spot for me on this. Where absolute endgame you can have maxed out sphere grids, but most of the game you'll have each character going along one path, and their weapons and overdrives feel more substantial to me than the differences in VII/VIII. Kimahri is still getting sidelined though.

^ This. Ideally you have either a small cast of customizable do-anything weirdos, OR you can have a larger ensemble cast of more mechanically hard-coded guys. A small mechanically defined cast can remove too much in terms of gameplay complexity, and a large cast of do-anything blank slates means you just get your core party of guys you like and neglect the rest.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
actually, the best Final Fantasy battle systems are the ones where Blue Mage has a really good outfit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wizard2 posted:

actually, the best Final Fantasy battle systems are the ones where Blue Mage has a really good outfit

So Final Fantasy XIV, and which others?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subject change, then.

For me, I find some degree of limitation brings out more creativity in me (not just in video game character builds but also in general). I really like when characters have fairly defined strengths and weaknesses but there's customization you can do to emphasize their strengths, use them in unique ways, shore up weaknesses, etc.

When I replay FF6, for example, I intentionally limit who's allowed to use which Esper so that I have some limitations and can't just give everyone all the magic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think all three systems are equally valid and have their own strengths, it depends more on the surrounding game supporting it. Like, 4 is OK with character rigidity, but it doesn't do enough with its set parties, like you never need to rely on Edward's debuffs, and several characters are just kinda there. That's one of the few things TAY improves, as it actually designs chapters for scenarios where you only have two mages, or a party entirely of Monks, and the goal for each chapter is to figure out how to make progress with what you have.

6 is a great compromise system in theory, in that you can give any character any magic but they still have their own special abilities, except in practice magic outclasses the majority of these abilities. 9 has rigid roles but still some customization options with passive abilities, but it doesn't really do enough with the concept. 3 has freedom but not really since some jobs are required for certain points, and several jobs are dead weight beyond a niche or two if that, so your choices are limited.

To be honest, it's hard to say because the mainline series generally isn't that balanced. You've got, what, 5 where all jobs are at least viable, even if some are better than others, and 13 which is able to be tightly balanced as a result of its incredible linearity. There's others, like the 7R series, and some I haven't played yet like 16, 13-3, and 10-2 (I'll get to it eventually, I swear) that are generally seen as solid as well. And there's debates to be made by the likes of 10 and 14 and so on.

I kinda lost track of what I'm going with here so I'll just end my post.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

12 is pretty balanced. The only really bad class is Machinist, which is at least the best option for low level runs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

I'm sorry that you seem to ignore or downplay that he literally punches a woman out for arguing with him. Like, that's not 'warping the narrative', that is the literal text of that scene. That's a step too far for me, even if it apparently isn't for you.

I keep comparing him to Jotaro Kujo, and I actually didn't bring up that I dislike Jotaro for a very similar reason. I didn't bring that up because I just assumed that something like that wouldn't happen in this, so it would've just felt like a weird non-sequitir of a comparison point, but... welp.

he was stopping her from killing herself op

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

12 is pretty balanced. The only really bad class is Machinist, which is at least the best option for low level runs

Foebreaker's kind of rough, too, in my experience, just because it's married to the random-damage axes and hammers. (Incidentally, the Struggle for Freedom mod did away with the random damage for axes/hammers and immediately made Foebreaker kick absolute rear end.)

Everything else is great, though, and since any modern version lets you pick two jobs, it's also pretty easy to make Machinist or Foebreaker work just fine anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

he was stopping her from killing herself op

I'm shocked that someone who literally has spent 2 years making up things about the game because it stars a man, would completely miss the point of the scene.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm going to have to play these at some point to find out what everyone's talking about. What a terrible tragedy for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Harrow posted:

Foebreaker's kind of rough, too, in my experience, just because it's married to the random-damage axes and hammers. (Incidentally, the Struggle for Freedom mod did away with the random damage for axes/hammers and immediately made Foebreaker kick absolute rear end.)

Everything else is great, though, and since any modern version lets you pick two jobs, it's also pretty easy to make Machinist or Foebreaker work just fine anyway.
hammers aren't bad enough to negate the foebreakers natural advantages, especially in the two class system

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HopperUK posted:

I'm going to have to play these at some point to find out what everyone's talking about. What a terrible tragedy for me.

Cleretic wrong-posting did get me to reinstall SoP since I didn't finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm shocked that someone who literally has spent 2 years making up things about the game because it stars a man, would completely miss the point of the scene.

Ah you see, it would have been fine if Jack was a woman though!!

Edit: her badposting is making me want to complete the game and I'm only just past Pravoka so... success?