Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Been lurking this thread for a couple weeks since I've gotten into having non-artificial plants in my apartment lately. My husband has a lily that his mother gave him as a housewarming gift nearly a decade ago and an ivy that was growing wild on his old balcony, which we rescued then took with us when we moved to our own apartment 2 years ago. I've recently bought 3 succulents form the local supermarket's plants section and have been doing a somewhat competent job keeping them from dying. A couple months ago I started adding one or two drops per week of Botanopia Plant Food into their soil as well as repotting them and filling out the empty pot space with Soil Ninja Cacti & Succulents Mix. Just before I started adding Botanopia and changing the soil, one of the aloe vera plants showed some worrying yellowing of the bottom leaves so I've been keeping an eye out for further occurrences of it.

I'd like to see the plants grow to their full potential though so I decided to try the Plant Parent app to see if it'd give me advice on what to do, but I'm wary of getting the premium membership in case the app's garbage. What's the thread's take on the Plant Parent app?

Probably overkill for succulents. Usually it's just about dialing in the watering regimen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Despite having used fertilizer for years I didn't know what the components actually did. Wikipedia says:

* three main macronutrients (NPK):
Nitrogen (N): leaf growth
Phosphorus (P): development of roots, flowers, seeds, fruit;
Potassium (K): strong stem growth, movement of water in plants, promotion of flowering and fruiting;

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

What the h*ck is growing from my snake plant?

Also why do some of my snake pant leaves have wrinkles?

it's a f*cking flower and it means your snake plant is HAPPY. keep being NICE to it! good job!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wanna get some whalefin snake plants but they're really expensive and 97% are sold as single leaves and I want a bunch in one pot. I guess I can buy one and hope it grows more? idk poo poo about snake plants growth

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I wanna get some whalefin snake plants but they're really expensive and 97% are sold as single leaves and I want a bunch in one pot. I guess I can buy one and hope it grows more? idk poo poo about snake plants growth

this time of year is a good time to hunt at local nurseries to see what houseplants they have. one of our local nurseries has $8 whalefins for a brief period each year and that's how I got one of mine. It also seems whalefins are becoming more common, local plant shop had baby whale fins with 2-3 fins in a small planter for like, $15? $17? which is surprisingly affordable

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat I would snatch that up, cheapest I've seen around here is $28 for a single bruised/browned leaf

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

indigi posted:

If you're patient they will spread via rhizome like most of the other non-woody dracaena. I think mine took around three years to push up the first separate leaf, though if it was actually getting good light I imagine that would have taken much less time.

Based on Etsy you can get one much cheaper than you used to be able to (I see a bunch for $10-15), though I suspect the cheapest ones are barely rooted.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 6, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I planted this peach tree not too long ago, purchased online. It was already pretty nicely grown, it's gotten a few more leaves at this point. It also has a pretty significant shoot coming from the bottom. I'm trying not to do too much pruning since this is the first year, but I definitely won't want this little guy to grow long-term. Should I do anything about it or just let it do whatever it wants until winter?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Sir Lemming posted:

I planted this peach tree not too long ago, purchased online. It was already pretty nicely grown, it's gotten a few more leaves at this point. It also has a pretty significant shoot coming from the bottom. I'm trying not to do too much pruning since this is the first year, but I definitely won't want this little guy to grow long-term. Should I do anything about it or just let it do whatever it wants until winter?

I would nip that sucker coming from the bottom, especially if it is coming from the rootstock (hard to see the graft union in your pic). Personally I would leave the other lower branches for now to encourage the trunk to thicken up a bit.

My little milkweed patch has been too successful for its own good. I have one large butterfly weed that I planted last fall, three swamp milkweed seedlings that I started indoors over the winter, and a second year butterfly weed that seems to be doing very poorly. The struggling butterfly weed is from a native plant sale whereas the big one is from Lowe's - I've heard there is a cultivar that does well in our heavy clay soil whereas the wild type does not, so maybe that's the issue.

My bigger problem is that the monarchs are keeping them pretty much entirely defoliated, to the point where they're stripping the outer layers of the stems. Hopefully, pressure will taper off as the last migratory monarchs have probably moved on. We have a year-round population but the butterfly weed was able to outgrow them last fall. I know we've made at least 3 adults this spring and have 2 more that should make it if they're ready in the next day or two. After that, vaya con Dios little buddies because the food will be gone...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Discussion Quorum posted:

I would nip that sucker coming from the bottom, especially if it is coming from the rootstock (hard to see the graft union in your pic). Personally I would leave the other lower branches for now to encourage the trunk to thicken up a bit.

Thanks. I was pretty sure I wanted to but I needed a sanity check first. I tend to err on the side of doing too much to save the plant.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Lemming posted:

Thanks. I was pretty sure I wanted to but I needed a sanity check first. I tend to err on the side of doing too much to save the plant.

My advice on recent transplants is usually to leave them alone for the first year or three. Trimming suckers is definitely fine, but let the tree get settled in before you really start pruning for shape. Let the main trunk get an ~1" thick first and then it'll be much easier to tell what's trunk and what's gonna be a scaffold branch etc.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
A permaculture nutter I'm working for planted a bunch of new creeping phlox on 18" of wood chips. Didn't want to disturb the soil (no till 4evah). So, uh, you gonna water those?

Wood chips hold moisture!

Two weeks. Dead already.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I thought you talked her down to 4 inches. Or did she push them all into a pile to make up 18 inches?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I thought you talked her down to 4 inches. Or did she push them all into a pile to make up 18 inches?

Oh, no. The first yard guy did that. She fired him for reasons. I've had to say, "I swear to God it was the other guy" to city workers at least twice. There was a flooding issue, you see.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

latest small haul from telly's. i got the babiest of baby hostas. i got a double whale fin for $15. i also got a trillium for $8. the plant has already died because trilliums are finicky jerks but the bulb felt FIRM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

You fucker

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

You fucker

where do you live btw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This green planet show is pretty awesome. The desert episode is crazy full of weird rear end plants

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to Telly's tomorrow for my massive annuals haul, plus that white hosta and maybe another houseplant--I have a ~9" pot that's opened up in my shadyish library. That'll be a fun shop. :homebrew:

e: My white hosta looks as sad as yours. George caught us on the way out the door and said it had gotten zapped by the cold. He was confident it would bounce back.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 10, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I got a corner in my back yard between my shed and the fence that's full sun, zone 6B, maybe 2 yards across. I don't care about height. I was thinking "butterfly bush". Any thoughts?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My philodendron corner is pretty happy about this cheap grow led.

Im gonna buy some hostas tomorrow at the nursery i think

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
i bought those exact lights for my plants too

i dont think they're doing much for em though :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

where do you live btw

Philadelphia (get to know us)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got some fuscia to live in my ugly rear end air conditioner security cage that i dont put an a/c in.
Worked out good last year. They grew out and didnt look too trapped so we'll try again.

inchworm posted:

i bought those exact lights for my plants too

i dont think they're doing much for em though :(

They are doing the job for plants that dont need direct sun but live in a very dark room but yeah they dont substitute for bright sunshine at all

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 13, 2024

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.
bought one of those cheap venus flytraps from my local grocer a few weeks ago and i just can’t seem to get it be like, not flaccid. she has sprouted multiple new huge heads and withered multiple others though, since.

i went to feed her a huge fly earlier but it was only playing dead and flew out of my hands at the very last second, so she’s gonna have to live on thoughts and prayers until i get another.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Venus flytraps just need lots and lots of light and water. Insects are gravy. Their leaves do lie flat most of the time. And they have a winter dormant period where they look like crap, but they don't put out new growth when that's happening.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah. they're native to the Carolinas so emulate the swampy weather and trash soil of the southeast coast

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
if i remember right, they like about 4" of well draining soil in a pot with drainage, and the pot should live in a tray that has some standing water in it for the fly trap. That and absolute poo poo tons of light. lady bagmo just got one so we'll see how that goes!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd like to grow some trees not necessarily to bonsai-fy but I think it'd be neat to have a few 12~16 inch trees that look like regular fully grown trees but I got them from Lilliput or a mini world. I’m not interested in shaping them other than keeping them manageably-sized for a desk but maybe ultimately that is still bonsai idk.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.

bagmonkey posted:

if i remember right, they like about 4" of well draining soil in a pot with drainage, and the pot should live in a tray that has some standing water in it for the fly trap. That and absolute poo poo tons of light. lady bagmo just got one so we'll see how that goes!

That’s exactly the setup I’ve got going. Apparently the minerals from tap and drinking water can gently caress them up so I’ve been using crazy reverse-osmosis filtered whatever turbowater as per everybody’s recommendation

e: rain water is also fine too, i’m only doing this because my region is probably moving into the part of the year where there’s not going to be any rain until september

Chip S. Challenge fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 14, 2024

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

I'd like to grow some trees not necessarily to bonsai-fy but I think it'd be neat to have a few 12~16 inch trees that look like regular fully grown trees but I got them from Lilliput or a mini world. I’m not interested in shaping them other than keeping them manageably-sized for a desk but maybe ultimately that is still bonsai idk.

I've a few different trees in pots that are about 4 - 5 feet tall that would otherwise be 30 feet or so if planted in the ground. I've grown them from seeds. They are easy to move around as I desire, and look just like the larger version of them do.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I have a Ficus Tineke (I think, it’s variegated and mostly white) that I just repotted 2 weeks ago. I watered it in afterwards, but it’s not drinking, and leaning away from the light with wrinkled leaves and some spotting. What should I do? I moved it to a south-facing window that gets some fairly bright light and sprinkled diatomaceous earth on the surface to try to dry it out.

It’s also in DIY living soil that probably doesn’t drain well enough. What should I do? Neem oil foliar is on the horizon for all my houseplants, and I use a 1% mix of kelp nutrients for fertilizer now and then.

My other plants, doing great in the same soil.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I have one of those in a pot that did the same thing you describe. I think mine was over watered and light deprived. But it is so hard to tell, really. I cut it all the way back (not a leaf left on it), moved it into an area with dappled sunlight, and watered it sparingly. It has recovered perfectly.

edit to add: "soil that probably doesn’t drain well enough" is probably the issue. I now add vermiculite or perlite to everything that I pot.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

huh posted:

I've a few different trees in pots that are about 4 - 5 feet tall that would otherwise be 30 feet or so if planted in the ground. I've grown them from seeds. They are easy to move around as I desire, and look just like the larger version of them do.
I like this idea. We have a volunteer pignut hickory in our raspberry bed (thanks, squirrels) that could be an interesting tree if left to grow. I'd rather put it in a pot, even outside, than tuck it awkwardly among the conifers outside our fence.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hirayuki posted:

I like this idea. We have a volunteer pignut hickory in our raspberry bed (thanks, squirrels) that could be an interesting tree if left to grow. I'd rather put it in a pot, even outside, than tuck it awkwardly among the conifers outside our fence.

Hickories have really long taproots and don’t transplant well at all IME, so don’t beat yourself up too much if it doesn’t survive the move.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Technically it's a weed--I'd be happy just chucking it into the compost bin--so it's more like an experiment: if it takes to a pot, great! If not, well, it got to spend a little bit more time in the world before meeting its inevitable demise.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hirayuki posted:

pignut hickory

I googled these - they are a beautiful tree. Good luck!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Glyphosate question:

We have some bindweed that’s probably about 30 feet from our well. The guy who was going to help us get rid of it wants to use glyphosate. He told my neighbor, who has bindweed in the same general area near our well, that the glyphosate won’t get into our well water. I emailed his company to ask for myself, and the person who answered me said that it’s not safe to use within 100 feet of a well. I don’t think my neighbor is lying about what the guy said, but I think we’re getting differing opinions from the same company.

Can anyone offer advice as to whether this is safe or not? I have a 4 year old and another on the way, so I want to be cautious.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Test the well for glyphosate first. It may be a moot question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Presumably your well is getting groundwater from tens or hundreds of feet down and that's all in enclosed piping so I can't see a huge risk there. Unless its like a real old timey well that's a hole in the ground with a bucket and a rope and stuff? Nothing in any glyphosate label I can find mentions anything about staying away from wells, just 'do not apply directly to water,' and at least in the US the label is the law.