Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Enterprise more than Voyager and I don't care who knows it. :colbert:

You know what Voyager doesn't have? Andorians.

T'Pol is great. Phlox is great. Shran is the best. Trip is good. I like that Archer is a bumbling nepotism hire at first. Soval is good. There are other cast members too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first two seasons of Enterprise are mostly boring retreads of earlier show plots, which is kind of what Voyager does for awhile too

I will say that Season 4 of ENT is probably better than most seasons of Voyager except maybe Season 4

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ravenson posted:

You're allowed to stop, you know. You don't have to watch everything Star Trek just because it's Star Trek. Don't make my mistake.

Hahaha good one

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I like Enterprise season 3 because it's the story I wanted out of Voyager.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Grand Fromage posted:

T'Pol is great. Phlox is great. Shran is the best. Trip is good. I like that Archer is a bumbling nepotism hire at first. Soval is good. There are other cast members too!

:respek:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Didn't that capitalist they woke up from cryosleep figure out the Romulans they were dealing with that week were bluffing just because he had a lot of experience in business negotiations before Troi could?

I like to think that guy is off on Ferenginar, somehow serving as the chair of the FCA

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

I like to think that guy is off on Ferenginar, somehow serving as the chair of the FCA

In the novels he's the Ambassador to Ferenginar.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In the novels he's the Ambassador to Ferenginar.

I also found this

Furthermore, he is depicted as the Federation Secretary of Commerce at the time of the Borg Invasion of 2381 in Mere Mortals.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Did the singer guy become a hit since all his stuff would be new again?

He came off as a genuine nice guy. He even accepted Data completely.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Last Call posted:

Did the singer guy become a hit since all his stuff would be new again?

He came off as a genuine nice guy. He even accepted Data completely.

Hea mentioned on the news ticker in Lower Decks. Seems to be doing good since people stampeded at one of his shows.

I'm surprised Sisko didn't offer him an unlimited tab at Quark's just to have someone to talk about baseball with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first two seasons of Enterprise are mostly boring retreads of earlier show plots, which is kind of what Voyager does for awhile too

There are some points in Enterprise where they go through a classic star trekky style plot, and then at the end instead of resolving it in a classic star trekky way like with forming an understanding or figuring out what's going on, they end with just loving blowing up everything. Dead Stop and The Crossing stand out for that.

And this was before the whole 9/11 let's go start a loving war turn that the show took for season 3.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Dead Stop was the best Enterprise episode

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FlamingLiberal posted:

rear end to rear end

An unusual variation on mindmeld technique.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are some points in Enterprise where they go through a classic star trekky style plot, and then at the end instead of resolving it in a classic star trekky way like with forming an understanding or figuring out what's going on, they end with just loving blowing up everything. Dead Stop and The Crossing stand out for that.

And this was before the whole 9/11 let's go start a loving war turn that the show took for season 3.

Though the space 9/11 plot line does at least try for a Trek-esque 'we're not actually enemies' angle in the end (after a poo poo ton of Ugly Americanism and a LOT of explosions).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Last Call posted:

One of those little tidbits I only learned a year ago was Marina Sirtis was going to be fired. Only reason she didn't was thanks to Denise Crosby quitting first.

Even for Nemesis they didn't want to hire her back since she wanted equal pay with her co stars, so they said they would replace her with Seven of Nine. She correctly told them, she would not do it for the pay they were offering.

They also hired her originally to be a liaison officer for the Starfleet Intelligence and Federation in general. Then she was rewritten into ship's Councillor doing therapy sessions and evaluations with the crew. That's why she flies the third seat, because for some reason that part of the role wasn't rewritten.

Something similar happened to Crosby. They were having difficulties finding her anything meaningful to do besides being eye-candy, mostly because Roddenberry changed his mind and OK'd Worf as a bridge officer, so Crosby was now a glorified extra. Actually, also McFadden's character changed from school principal to the ship's doctor.

So they kept hiring women, giving them next to nothing to do or changing their roles significantly, and getting offended when they complained about poor treatment.

EDIT: And all this before going into "producers that were sex pests" -list of things.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 5, 2024

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't think Worf took that much away from Yar in the first season. Like, sure, Worf got a whole episode centering him in the first season, Heart of Glory, but (to a lesser extent) so did Yar; regrettably, hers was Code of Honor. Yar still got to do the security officer stuff, but in the first season I think that stuff was itself a bit sparser because the producers were still trying to do the "we're not TOS and we're trying to downplay the violence" thing.

There's lots of TNG episodes after the first season where Worf doesn't really do any more than Yar would have. The problem is that when he does the "uh hey this is a potential threat to ship's security" routine it gets to be tinged with him being a Klingon so he gets to ham it up a little (and, in retrospect, he's also more easily dismissed as him being a bit bloody-minded, which is unfortunate for multiple reasons). When Yar does it it's just her being a competent professional, which I love, but also understandably wasn't as professionally fulfilling for the actor.

Even without Worf I think Denise Crosby would still have walked; I don't think she would have gotten that much more material without him around to offset the issues that led to her leaving.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fighting Trousers posted:

Though the space 9/11 plot line does at least try for a Trek-esque 'we're not actually enemies' angle in the end (after a poo poo ton of Ugly Americanism and a LOT of explosions).

Yep. I get why people don't like that season but I've always thought it was actually very Star Trek, seeing the pre-Federation humans do poo poo our more enlightened later ones never would, but growing through the experience to realize their mistakes and ultimately make friends out of enemies. Enterprise-era humanity is still on the way to utopia, they haven't gotten there yet.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Enterprise-era humanity is still on the way to utopia, they haven't gotten there yet.

Well, it is a long road, getting from there to here...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Grand Fromage posted:

:emptyquote:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rewatching some TNG season 1 and I completely forgot they were still using the short-skirt one piece uniforms for some background characters almost straight out of TOS.

But then in Conspiracy, there's a shot of a male officer with a bald spot sporting one of them and it just comes out of nowhere. Truly the most progressive of shows.:D

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's called a skant.

Yeah.

They dropped'em in season three.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They should have committed to the skant but the early 90s wasn't ready

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cowards

Should've had Riker showing off those 6'4" gams

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've used it subtly in SNW but they're cowards unless they put it full front and centre and give us those Captain Pike thighs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

They also hired her originally to be a liaison officer for the Starfleet Intelligence and Federation in general. Then she was rewritten into ship's Councillor doing therapy sessions and evaluations with the crew. That's why she flies the third seat, because for some reason that part of the role wasn't rewritten.

Something similar happened to Crosby. They were having difficulties finding her anything meaningful to do besides being eye-candy, mostly because Roddenberry changed his mind and OK'd Worf as a bridge officer, so Crosby was now a glorified extra. Actually, also McFadden's character changed from school principal to the ship's doctor.

I feel like having an official onboard school would round out the big idea that the series seemed to originally want to do with there being a bunch of civilians onboard the Enterprise, and then having a core cast member who is high status non-starfleet would provide a basis for the civilians and the ship crew to clash. If you extended the idea of a school to the adults as well with there being a whole university onboard managing research, that'd be even better. As it is, the show mostly forgot about the civilians later on.

Of course, with Troi the idea of having a Starfleet councilor is also something that could be nice in theory, but the writers didn't really seem to respect the idea of that position or the general principle that normal people should get therapy and mental assessments, which I think is the core reason her character doesn't really ever seem useful in the script.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some of the early plans earmark her chair as 'sociologist' instead of counsellor and I feel like leaning into her being the xenosociologist for all the aliens would have been much better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just found this.

https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/en/product/detail/p4934054032167/

lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

McSpanky posted:

Cowards

Should've had Riker showing off those 6'4" gams

He's 6 2 isn't he?

Just watched Clues in my rewatch. Man it's funny how much like the Red Dwarf episode "Thanks for the memory" it is. Not identical of course just EXTREMELY similar.
Especially since it's an episode done by a third party fan writer, not one of the regular writers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Some of the early plans earmark her chair as 'sociologist' instead of counsellor and I feel like leaning into her being the xenosociologist for all the aliens would have been much better.

She very occasionally did that job anyway -- she taught Picard how to say the official greetings in the Jarada language, and helped him go over the treaty with the Sheliak to try and find a loophole.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

They should have committed to the skant but the early 90s wasn't ready

Late 80s - TNG didn't enter the 90s until partway through the third season, and the skant was already gone by then.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Late 80s - TNG didn't enter the 90s until partway through the third season, and the skant was already gone by then.

In the UK we didn't get TNG until the 1990s. Series 4 was on in 1994! Who knows why

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thatcher :argh:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Just watched Clues in my rewatch. Man it's funny how much like the Red Dwarf episode "Thanks for the memory" it is. Not identical of course just EXTREMELY similar.
Especially since it's an episode done by a third party fan writer, not one of the regular writers.

Never really thought about it before, but kind of obvious.

Also, The Hangover

I wonder if either was inspired by that sci-fi story that was the basis for Paycheck with Ben Affleck.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Never really thought about it before, but kind of obvious.

Also, The Hangover

I wonder if either was inspired by that sci-fi story that was the basis for Paycheck with Ben Affleck.

As it's a philip k dick story there's a good chance that other people had read it and kept the idea in their heads.
There's so much between thanks for the memory and clues that's similar though. It's not impossible they came to the ideas separately (and without reading paycheck) it's just a funny coincidence.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Honestly I have to give early TNG a lot of credit for the gender-neutral skants. Dropping them altogether was still a better idea, but considered how afraid the producers were of doing anything "gay" at the time whoever got them to agree that the future way to put women in miniskirts was to put men in miniskirts too did a progressive thing.

Taear posted:

He's 6 2 isn't he?
If he has 6'4" gams his total height must be a whole lot higher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

Honestly I have to give early TNG a lot of credit for the gender-neutral skants. Dropping them altogether was still a better idea, but considered how afraid the producers were of doing anything "gay" at the time whoever got them to agree that the future way to put women in miniskirts was to put men in miniskirts too did a progressive thing.

The skants came from Roddenberry, who was generally pretty progressive on things like that; the anti-gay stuff was some of the staff around him and then later Berman when he took over.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I love how in Rodenberry's utopian vision it wasn't "we'll stop putting women in tiny dresses as a way to objectify them" and instead "we'll put men in tiny dresses so they can be objectified equally." Though I should talk, I myself (a man) bought a screen original skant pattern and sewed my own, to show off my gams.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are a lot of outfits on TNG (for guest characters) that in HD clearly show men's junk

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek should have MORE dickprints, not less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Skants are helpful when you need to accommodate non-bipedal species like mermaids, the edosians, or tall-alien-that-is-totally-not-Jake-on-Nog's-shoulders.