Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Are we taking about Through the Breach or Underworld Breach

Underworld breach. combo works by using brain freeze to mill yourself, which fuels you escaping led or lotus petal a bunch of times. You can then brain freeze yourself again if you need more loops, or finally brain freeze your opponent depending on if you're winning using thassa's oracle or milling your opponent out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Are we taking about Through the Breach or Underworld Breach

Trap is not a card for either. This is job for force.
Or daze. Or something that doesn't cost 4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Mindbreak is free

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Hoot is right here - trying to catch other pieces on the stack against good storm players is probably going to result in a card that rots in your hand. You are either playing it to knock out the actual storm effect or not at all. It actually costs mana but this is usually where you see flusterstorm doing better work because you only have to worry about a late veil rather a “force your force” response from OP

There are of course lots of edge cases I’m not going to blast off while on my phone but generally, this is how I approach putting it in the side/bringing it in

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
if it stops the loop that wins the opponent the game, and likely cast for free, then why is it bad?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Party Miser posted:

if it stops the loop that wins the opponent the game, and likely cast for free, then why is it bad?

Nobody is saying it’s bad - just that is has a narrow application and that people will often bring it in against bad matchups for it, or fire it off at the wrong time trying to catch the non-storm payoff

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
if it's what you got, it's what you got.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Party Miser posted:

Then it's not really the plan is it?

Party Miser posted:

When it's free and when it stops the loop need to happen at the same time, if they don't then it's bad.
The time to stop a breech loop is early, about when they cast breech. Before the third spell. Before trap is free.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Party Miser posted:

Right but the point being made is you have agency in “what you got” through sideboard and deck construction

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Party Miser posted:

you're evaluating in terms of a specific gameplay scenario but the others are talking about the deckbuilding phase. you can construct any number of scenarios where a specific play would be correct, however, you should not deckbuild or sideboard for the best case scenario. any number of cards (e.g. flusterstorm, thoughtseize, surgical extraction, force of will) can solve the problem before it even becomes a problem, while having other applications in non-storm matchups, depending on what your deck needs. or maybe you're a burn deck that doesn't need to side against storm. the point is, the argument you're making is predicated on a view of gameplay philosophy that is way too narrow to be applicable or useful for deckbuilding conversations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm not really a big fan of mindbreak anymore. Most black combo can check your hand, blue combo can counter it.

It's good when they're not expecting it but playing around it is feasible for a lot of decks that aren't something like ruby storm.

It's free and sometimes the best you can do, but the best you can do isn't necessarily the best

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kalel posted:

you're evaluating in terms of a specific gameplay scenario but the others are talking about the deckbuilding phase. you can construct any number of scenarios where a specific play would be correct, however, you should not deckbuild or sideboard for the best case scenario. any number of cards (e.g. flusterstorm, thoughtseize, surgical extraction, force of will) can solve the problem before it even becomes a problem, while having other applications in non-storm matchups, depending on what your deck needs. or maybe you're a burn deck that doesn't need to side against storm. the point is, the argument you're making is predicated on a view of gameplay philosophy that is way too narrow to be applicable or useful for deckbuilding conversations.

This

ilmucche posted:

I'm not really a big fan of mindbreak anymore. Most black combo can check your hand, blue combo can counter it.

It's good when they're not expecting it but playing around it is feasible for a lot of decks that aren't something like ruby storm.

It's free and sometimes the best you can do, but the best you can do isn't necessarily the best

Also this. Post board games are going to usually involve a flurry of resource exchange that tries to lower the answer quality each player has before the combo side of the matchup is eventually forced to go off bc a threat is pressuring them. In this type of scenario, proactive answers are better than reactive (rough generalization) and reactive answers should be skewed towards broader and on the assertive end of the reactive scale. Veil, force, etc. sitting and waiting for a combo player to present you an opportunity to disrupt is usually a recipe to get thoughtseized and smoked in one go on turn 4. If you are running islands this is usually why mystic sanctuary+fetch is the best anti storm card that exists. You are always a cantrip away from veiling their payoff or whatever and eventually that inevitability trumps unless they are good and thread a tight needle

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think some people are talking about Modern, others legacy and others EDH here.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

well that's ridiculous, only one of those formats is worth talking about.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
And I think we all know which one it is, too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I just assumed you were on vintage because Breach isn't legal in legacy, LED isn't in modern, and people don't run counter magic in edh.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen mindbreak trap in modern?

It's legal in the format though, just don't think storm has been strong enough in quite a while to warrant it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HootTheOwl posted:

I just assumed you were on vintage because Breach isn't legal in legacy, LED isn't in modern, and people don't run counter magic in edh.

Maybe bad edh players. :colbert:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

people don't run counter magic in edh.

:dafuq:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

If you're at the kind of EDH table where people are going for Breach wins, you're at the kind of EDH table where people are going to be playing countermagic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh good point, exiling a spell technically isn't countering it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

countering my spell? that's kind of a dick move, bro.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What part of the rules say I don't get another Storm trigger with like basically any extant copy effect if I copy the original spell? Not Storm count, but putting another instance of the Storm ability on the stack. How could I do that besides a "copy trigger"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

What part of the rules say I don't get another Storm trigger with like basically any extant copy effect if I copy the original spell?

Copying a spell isn't casting it, storm triggers on cast. If it triggered on copy it would go infinite with itself.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

What part of the rules say I don't get another Storm trigger with like basically any extant copy effect if I copy the original spell? Not Storm count, but putting another instance of the Storm ability on the stack. How could I do that besides a "copy trigger"?

Storm is a cast trigger, and you aren't casting it, you're copying it. More information here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The part that says Storm only triggers when you actually cast the spell and not when you copy it.

It's the only way it can work, otherwise it would trigger Storm again when the Storm trigger itself did the copying, and any Storm spell would draw the game if it wasn't the first spell cast in a turn.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

702.40a Storm is a triggered ability that functions on the stack. “Storm” means “When you cast this spell, copy it for each other spell that was cast before it this turn. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any of the copies.”

It triggers off of casting the spell. If you made a copy of the card and then cast it, rather than putting a copy of the spell on the stack, that would trigger storm. Something like:
"Copy target instant or sorcery card on the stack. You may cast the copy without paying its mana cost." There's probably a cleaner way to say it without referencing the stack, but that's the gist.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what everyone else said

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do note that mos teffects that make copies simply create them on the stack as pointed out itt but others do have you cast the copy. Though I might be misremembering.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do note that mos teffects that make copies simply create them on the stack as pointed out itt but others do have you cast the copy. Though I might be misremembering.

They tend to be things that exile a card and then cast a copy, such as Mizzix's Mastery

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if you copy the storm trigger, would you get a whole nother set of spells equal to storm count or would you get only 1 additional spell?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

if you copy the storm trigger, would you get a whole nother set of spells equal to storm count or would you get only 1 additional spell?

You'd get storm count number of spells.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

kalel posted:

countering my spell? that's kind of a dick move, bro.

lmao, same energy

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lmao, "don't interact with me bro. I'LL interact with YOU"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If you, eg, cast 3 spells then a tendrils, then Vantress Visions on the storm trigger, you'd only get 3 additional copies, for a total of 7 tendrils. Because storm counts the number of spells cast before tendrils, which isn't the same as the current storm count.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 6, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/AndyAWKWARD/status/1787261662128411075

https://x.com/WUCtrl/status/1787277658247577967

I remember bringing this up in the thread once and mentioning how common it was in competitive play. It seems it still is. The person who decided to act against the agreement missed on the 12 slot invite cut by coming in 13th place, so there is some justice. Apparently the person had a shot to still make top 8 with a draw if the match next to them also drew (they were at time) but that match was decided in turns.

Still better to just win. The valakut being foil makes it garbo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was at that event briefly. They were warning players that those deals would not be allowed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Sounds like he made a gentleman's agreement with someone who is, in fact, not a gentleman, but a scoundrel.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For the past few months my friends and I have been drafting MTG twice a month. We all played regularly back in the Tempest block in the late 90's and then stopped until now. So far we have done 2 drafts each of Throne of Eldraine, Ikoria, Neon Dynasty, Modern Horizons 2, and Dominara United.

I'm starting to curate a list of sets to go through for us in timeline order. I'm only interested in playing sets that were considered great to draft and skip over the poor-average sets.

This is the list I cultivated with a bit of research:
Khans of Tarkir --> Kaladesh --> Amonkhet --> Rivals of Ixalan --> War of the Spark --> Modern Horizons 1 --> Kaldheim --> Strixhaven --> The Brother's War --> March of the Machine

Does that look generally ok? Any glaring misses that should be on there or sets that should be taken off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Doesn't comp REL specifically forbid these types of arrangements? I have no dog in this fight, just trying to broaden my understanding of the game in case I'm ever in a situation where an opp makes an offer.

quote:

4.3. Unsporting Conduct — Improperly Determining a Winner Match Loss
Definition
A player uses or offers to use a method that is not part of the current game (including actions not
legal in the current game) to determine the outcome of a game or match, or uses language
designed to trick someone who may not know it’s against the rules to make such an offer.
If the player was aware that what they were doing was against the rules, the infraction is
Unsporting Conduct — Cheating.
Examples
A. As time is called, two players about to draw roll a die to determine the winner.
B. A player offers to flip a coin to determine the winner of a match.
C. Two players arm wrestle to determine the winner of the match.
D. Two players play rock-paper-scissors to decide if they should play the match or draw.
E. Two players compare the converted mana costs of the top cards of their libraries to
determine the winner of a game at the end of extra turns.
F. Two players reveal cards from the top of their libraries to see “who would win” after
extra turns.
G. A player says “Oh no, we’re going to draw, that’s terrible for us. If only there were
something we could do about it.”
Philosophy
Using an outside-the-game method to determine a winner compromises the integrity of the
tournament.
Matches that result in a draw due to time are expected to be reported as such and are not
excluded from this penalty if the players use an illegal method to determine the outcome.