Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Southern Cassowary posted:

the best mecha in star wars is the at-at

more mecha should be crew served and slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

yup

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ohtori Akio posted:

you're mom's a mecha

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zetsubou-san posted:

you're mom's a mecha

when she was pregnant with me yes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No she was a troop transporter

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Someone managed to get a high quality test clip of the Phantom Blood Movie Araki erased from time

https://twitter.com/JJBAVD/status/1786805236276805768

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

thanks pixiv

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

been playing circle of the moon. just beat adramelech.

i see the issues with it - dss is a cool system but having to use a guide and grind for the cards or just do without certain spells sucks, and the map's kind of clunky to get around - but it feels good and has a vibe, just like castlevania should.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

verbal enema posted:

thanks pixiv

lmao i thought that said "being on the receiving end of this is fatal"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

lmao i thought that said "being on the receiving end of this is fatal"

could be!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the picture at the top of the article was Übel soooo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wish i could find the tweet thats like 'we're sorry for introducing the term 'queerbait' into wider discourse. it seemed useful at the time but was actually a horrible mistake.'

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

wish i could find the tweet thats like 'we're sorry for introducing the term 'queerbait' into wider discourse. it seemed useful at the time but was actually a horrible mistake.'

i'm assuming you're referring to the spring season thread convo so: have you seen that jellyfish ep

it's kind of crazy cause it literally ends with one of the leads tackling another while she's making snow angels and giving her a kiss on the cheek. i am not fluent in lgbt discourse but i would be incredibly confused if that is bait.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I mostly remember Sarah Z making a video essay early in her career about what queerbaiting is and then 5 years later making another video essay that's entirely "you know that term is kind of insufficient for actually engaging with the world and I think we should just retire it"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

i'm assuming you're referring to the spring season thread convo so: have you seen that jellyfish ep

it's kind of crazy cause it literally ends with one of the leads tackling another while she's making snow angels and giving her a kiss on the cheek. i am not fluent in lgbt discourse but i would be incredibly confused if that is bait.

my issue is that, as stated above, the term 'bait' basically removes all nuance from the conversation and also doesnt even track in terms of what the term actually is supposed to mean. 'queerbait' refers to situations like netflix voltron where they promoted the BIG GAY ROMANCE and had a gay kiss be the season's ad card and then the character died in a flashback 5 minutes into ep 1. it does not refer to subtextual situations or situations where there's romantic tension that does not get cleanly resolved. any straight series could have a scene like that not lead to a direct love confession/kiss or whatever, but in a series with girls the word 'bait' gets thrown around, as if the girls not making out for 20 minutes in the last episode means theyre gonna go off and get married to dudes immediately after the credits roll.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

my issue is that, as stated above, the term 'bait' basically removes all nuance from the conversation and also doesnt even track in terms of what the term actually is supposed to mean. 'queerbait' refers to situations like netflix voltron where they promoted the BIG GAY ROMANCE and had a gay kiss be the season's ad card and then the character died in a flashback 5 minutes into ep 1. it does not refer to subtextual situations or situations where there's romantic tension that does not get cleanly resolved. any straight series could have a scene like that not lead to a direct love confession/kiss or whatever, but in a series with girls the word 'bait' gets thrown around, as if the girls not making out for 20 minutes in the last episode means theyre gonna go off and get married to dudes immediately after the credits roll.

this is useful context, thank you. wild that netflix voltron did that kind of poo poo.

i was thinking about the straight series comparison when i said that - like that jellyfish ep ending happens at the end of season 2 of a stupid straight romcom during a christmas date and all the crunchyroll comments are like HE'S FINALLY A CHAD NOW so i'm somewhat naively like "this requires handwringing?"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just see a string tied to a stick holding a box over a pile of Erasure albums

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is absolutely the first time i've thought about erasure since robot unicorn attack was a thing

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Endorph posted:

In this example isn't it also a case where there were conflicts between creative staff and producers that resulted in things becoming bait? Which even gives you some nuance beyond the term.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That sounds about right because from what I've heard that was a show that was constantly reversing course on its own decisions multiple times per season

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People invest too much of their self worth on this kind of stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For all the haters out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygLy02y7_n8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haypliss posted:

In this example isn't it also a case where there were conflicts between creative staff and producers that resulted in things becoming bait? Which even gives you some nuance beyond the term.
i mean thats kind of the point if anything. the producers/marketing guys/w/e are the ones who decided it should go that way, but also theyre the ones who decided to push it really hard

tbh the fact that you barely ever see jp corps and authors flexing about Gay Representation, even when they make something unambiguously gay, is part of why i vastly prefer it to most western stuff, lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Happy birthday to MY WIFE

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

buy her an account but most importantly, happy birthday to you wife

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

may it be a good birthday

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Hbd to meowywife

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
happy birthday miorine

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They never did give any birth dates in the show.

Probably a good thing considering how bad the birthdays tended to go.

But HBD to the Meowife

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean thats kind of the point if anything. the producers/marketing guys/w/e are the ones who decided it should go that way, but also theyre the ones who decided to push it really hard

tbh the fact that you barely ever see jp corps and authors flexing about Gay Representation, even when they make something unambiguously gay, is part of why i vastly prefer it to most western stuff, lol
you dont like your identity being packaged up and commercialized? yikes.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
when characters just happen to be homo or most likely homo its ftmfw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

Yep

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just politely nod and hope for a good story.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

verbal enema posted:

buy her an account but most importantly, happy birthday to you wife

she already has one

we met on this website

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Meowywitch posted:

she already has one

we met on this website

Plot. Twist

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Meowy lore…

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

thusly

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

she already has one

we met on this website

well would ya look at that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

real meowyheads like me knew this lore from the beginning

Adbot