Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

symbolic posted:

kill the Willard inside your head

The duck will set you free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Third Man: This is the kind of movie that's difficult to say something new about. Everything was well done. The sets were nice, the acting was good, and the plot was pretty standard noir fare but executed well.

Some slightly more specific observations:
I liked how Holly doesn't stop calling Callaway "Callaghan" until right at the end, like he finally cares enough to get it right. As someone else said, I'm really glad he didn't get the girl at the end; that would have been a cheap ending and it's used far too often in movies of the time. The sewer chase at the end was great, very claustrophobic and tense.

4 stars I think

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
The Third Man

i guess they really loved 40 hour long chase sequences of villains being pursued by dozens of ppl back then. first m and now this
this movie was better than m, tho. also has great cinematography but the story is actually p drat good. kinda suspected the guy was gonna turn out to be alive at the start, but they threw me in for enough loops that i forgot i had ever predicted it when the big reveal happened
good movie
soundtrack got boring very fast
3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I guess I'll be the only neutral voice on Dirty Duck. If you pointed a gun at me and asked if I liked it and said you'd shoot if I said anything other than yes or no I'd say no, but it just kind of... slid off my brain for the most part. The visual style could be neat, the whole thing overall was pretty impressive to be done by a small team presumably without much in the way of budget, and every now and then they'd have something genuinely pretty interesting to look at. Mostly around cars for some reason, the pileup of photocopied cars early on, the cars later in the movie that all have really weird and unique designs just for the hell of it, the weird looking cop car turning into a weird looking cop.

But none of the humor landed for me--the cop blathering in monotone in a funny voice while firing off his guns absent-mindedly and the used car commercial at the end devolving into the salesman threatening to sic his dogs on you if you don't come down and buy a car were kind of amusing and that was about it. It's clearly aiming to be obscene with all the sex organs and the gay and Mexican stereotypes etc but still somehow feels tame so it's never really funny or shocking. It reminds me of the stuff you'd draw in your notebook as a middle schooler to make your friends laugh, which is remarkably less funny outside of that context. And the story's just the "timid little nervous guy learns to get some confidence and stand up for himself thanks to the intervention of a wacky side character" we've seen a lot, though I did like the little touch of him taking the duck's hat at the very end and finally getting some color in his design. I didn't find myself actively repulsed or annoyed like The Forbidden Zone, but I wasn't engaged enough with it either to like it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dirty Duck - I never posted an actual review, so I'll give it a try now. I actually ended up watching it twice, trying to understand what anyone saw in it. Once last weekend, followed immediately by watching Fritz the Cat to have something to compare it to. I gave it another try yesterday after watching The Third Man.

This movie doesn't really have its own voice. The song at the beginning makes it seem like it's going to be a parody of pretentious art movies, but it doesn't ever really parody anything except for a few bad impressions scattered through the movie. There's a bunch of attempts at jokes in the first 10 minutes revolving around the film's working title "cheap" and then doesn't do anything else with it for the rest of the movie. I think they were literally making the movie up as they went along and decided to make a different movie when the producers made them change the name.

Art quality and style change rapidly from scene to scene. The movie tries to get away it by pointing out its cheapness in the opening song, but it isn't clever enough to do anything meta with it. The style changes just seem to be the artist not being able to decide who's style he wants to steal at any given time. Mostly lifting straight from R. Crumb, there's bits and pieces of Terry Gilliam, Ralph Bakshi.

The movie wants to be transgressive, but it has nothing to say and doesn't know what boundaries to cross. The jokes end up just being the same broad stereotypes and sex jokes everyone else was doing after everyone else had already done them.

The soundtrack was good though, and the plot didn't piss me off as much as Hell or High Water so I'll give it a 1.5/5

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

rodbeard posted:

Dirty Duck - I never posted an actual review, so I'll give it a try now. I actually ended up watching it twice, trying to understand what anyone saw in it. Once last weekend, followed immediately by watching Fritz the Cat to have something to compare it to. I gave it another try yesterday after watching The Third Man.

This movie doesn't really have its own voice. The song at the beginning makes it seem like it's going to be a parody of pretentious art movies, but it doesn't ever really parody anything except for a few bad impressions scattered through the movie. There's a bunch of attempts at jokes in the first 10 minutes revolving around the film's working title "cheap" and then doesn't do anything else with it for the rest of the movie. I think they were literally making the movie up as they went along and decided to make a different movie when the producers made them change the name.

Art quality and style change rapidly from scene to scene. The movie tries to get away it by pointing out its cheapness in the opening song, but it isn't clever enough to do anything meta with it. The style changes just seem to be the artist not being able to decide who's style he wants to steal at any given time. Mostly lifting straight from R. Crumb, there's bits and pieces of Terry Gilliam, Ralph Bakshi.

The movie wants to be transgressive, but it has nothing to say and doesn't know what boundaries to cross. The jokes end up just being the same broad stereotypes and sex jokes everyone else was doing after everyone else had already done them.

The soundtrack was good though, and the plot didn't piss me off as much as Hell or High Water so I'll give it a 1.5/5

it's the 6th

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

New movie not announced, two more weeks of Dirty Duck

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

New movie not announced, two more weeks of Dirty Duck

this is a threat

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

rodbeard posted:

I actually ended up watching it twice, trying to understand what anyone saw in it

ur all loving insane

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
starbarrys next pick is gonna be jack and jill and ull all deserve it for encouraging him btw

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fucker posted:

starbarrys next pick is gonna be jack and jill and ull all deserve it for encouraging him btw

dude itll be worse, it would be the video toaster equivalent with a soundtrack by the singer from lostprophets

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

It'll be Leonard Part 6

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Dirty Duck - I never posted an actual review, so I'll give it a try now. I actually ended up watching it twice, trying to understand what anyone saw in it. Once last weekend, followed immediately by watching Fritz the Cat to have something to compare it to.

lmfao.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Dude why would you watch it twice lol

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Dude why would you watch it twice lol

Watching A Serbian Film three times in a row just to confirm that it is indeed disturbing

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Where's the new movie?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Watching A Serbian Film three times in a row just to confirm that it is indeed disturbing

The funniest thing is watching Fritz the Cat in an attempt to understand it, lmao. it's like being perplexed by Blank Check and seeing if Dunston Checks In will clear everything up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and now if he strikes back you'll never find out wht the movie is :gendo:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Duel to the Death
Courtesy of Pragmatica

The best sword master from China vs the best sword master from Japan. Who will win?

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J20FMZXlV2Y

Director: Siu-Tung Ching
Writer: Siu-Tung Ching, David Lai, Manfred Wong
Stars: Norman Chu, Damian Lau, Flora Chong-Leen

Available On: Prime, Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/duel-to-the-death)

Available From: 5/6 - 5/19

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

time over for dirty duck finally, time starts for duel to the death

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

very cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

god i love this thread tag

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have not seen nearly as many wuxia movies as i should have, looking forward to it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sick pick

copy
Jul 26, 2007

wuxia ftmfw

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i hope everyone enjoys it!

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
you know i probably will prag

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Duel to the Death
Courtesy of Pragmatica

The best sword master from China vs the best sword master from Japan. Who will win?

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J20FMZXlV2Y

Director: Siu-Tung Ching
Writer: Siu-Tung Ching, David Lai, Manfred Wong
Stars: Norman Chu, Damian Lau, Flora Chong-Leen

Available On: Prime, Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/duel-to-the-death)

Available From: 5/6 - 5/19

oh hell yeah

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

We will

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The Third Man

Weird movie lol. I love the writing, the way everyone is sort of matter of fact about everything while also just relentlessly teasing each other. The soundtrack was odd at first but it gave the whole thing such an interesting feeling of being totally unable to tell what was going to happen which matched the story perfectly. This dude was just walking around with no loving clue about a god drat thing just hoping things would work out lol
One of my favorite parts of the movie was when he's trying to tell Calloway about how he saw his friend and he just disappeared, and Calloway is like "oh really, he just vanished you say... right by... this... sewer entrance! mother fucker." and then they go down there and the first thing out of Holly's mouth is "What is this place? Where are we?" lmao. I also loved Anna talking about how Harry would never be stupid enough to walk into a trap, and he's right in the doorway like uuuuuuh-oh!
The chase at the end was a little odd, it's not that it ran too long it just was such a drastic shift from how witty the rest of the movie is.

Really fun movie, great pick!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I WAS BORN WITH NO LEGS is th most insane twist lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Duel to the Death

absolutely kickass flick. very cool fight scenes, really liked both of th main characters a lot. so many incredible goofy scenes, ching wan's master, th puppet match, obviously the incredible I WAS BORN WITH NO LEGS!. wish i couldve found the subbed version somewhere, th dubs super goofy and low-effort nd imo a lot of the jokes work because theyre said with 100% sincerity. the final fights were insanely sick, kenji's head exploding was absolutely incredible, as was ching wan fuckin bisecting two ninjas. the ninjas kicked rear end the whole time too, so many insane tools and cool ideas, really made em feel threatening even though they ultimately kill uhhhh roughly nobody. i didnt care about th fight rigging plot all that much, felt like filler even if we got some cool moments out of it, and i didnt like the love interest very much at all. seriously fun movie, good pick prag.

★★★ ½

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Duel the the Death

Awesome movie. Completely over the top fight scenes and even in the scenes that were just people talking there was usually something entertaining around the corner, just a parade of fun ideas.
the ninjas were so awesome lol:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
duel to the death

very fun kung fu action flick with a lot of special effects thrown in, jump cuts are used extensively to simulate speed or motion, some reverse footage, the works

its very corny and the plot is stretched pretty thin, i dont think theres any grand message or meaning to be found in here, just sheer entertainment

speaking of the plot, i was very confused near the quarter of the way mark because sheng, a lady, is said to be "in disguise" by ching and implied to be the opposite gender but hidden and she was so obviously a woman i didnt realize the disguise was to be a man

so when ching started hitting on her later i was like "huh thats pretty progressive lol" but yeah turns out her disguise was extremely flimsy to the point of nonexistence so it threw me through a loop

all the scenes that have already been mentioned are excellent, i especially liked ching's original master who threw him to the shaolin temple for training, him and his bird dragon were a highlight of the movie for me with how well the comedy was done there

on the ending, i liked the senselessness, it doesnt cheapen the movie at all and adds a much needed extra layer to the story and caps it off perfectly, no longer were they fighting for country but for their own personal machismo, and they get exactly what they deserve for doing so, a no-win situation, they both die

powerful imagery with the waves crashing against the rocks to match the intensity of their fight, almost as if the wave is the unrelenting offensive assault of japanese swordplay versus the rock that is the reactionary more defensive minded chinese swordplay

im going with a 9/10 for this one, i think im in the same boat as fungah where the dub kind of lessened the experience for me since im used to watching subbed as much as possible, its so ill-fitting to hear english words when theyre clearly mouthing another language, plus the whole experience was a bit shallow overall

but the entertainment value was off the charts :coolslime:

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 9, 2024

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
yeah. i was really bummed i couldn’t find a subbed version. i’m in the same boat of massively preferring subtitled films instead of english dubbing. i promise i’ll find a good sub for my next one!!!

gonna watch the third man and rewatch duel to the death this weekend. :3:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

plebian parasite by one single atom

pp get me your movie when you can