Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Doesn't VIDEODROME straight up refer to CityTV?

"CivilTV". You could never accuse Cronenberg of being subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for that matter, you could probably say The Brood was a diss movie aimed at Cronenberg’s ex-wife lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Untitled Lax Mandis Project (released: 20??)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

https://x.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1786825517208846767

This is a really good prompt, curious if there are more good examples than those offered here?

Matt Johnson made The Dirties essentially out of frustration with Van Sant's film Elephant, and also threw a lot of references to Spike Lee's Malcolm X in because he thought it was a piece of poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda think Logan is a bit of a diss film on Superhero movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

I kinda think Logan is a bit of a diss film on Superhero movies.

Logan is a totally bog standard superhero movie, just with a sad tone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Logan is a totally bog standard superhero movie, just with a sad tone.

I watched a 45 minute video explaining the Kendrick Lamar/Drake feud and 90% of it is explaining how 3 seconds of a song was a diss to one or the other. So under that metric I'm still going to count it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This is a really good prompt, curious if there are more good examples than those offered here?

I want to say I Love You, Daddy is CK making GBS threads on Woody Allen but he also invited Allen to play the pedophile character in it after collaborating with him, so I have no idea what happened there (also the other stuff lol). Either way, I hope they both die soon.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The grotesque two headed monster in Willow is named Eborsisk after Siskel and Ebert.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for that matter, you could probably say The Brood was a diss movie aimed at Cronenberg’s ex-wife lol

To say the least.

mutantIke posted:

Matt Johnson made The Dirties essentially out of frustration with Van Sant's film Elephant, and also threw a lot of references to Spike Lee's Malcolm X in because he thought it was a piece of poo poo.

The former I knew but not the latter.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Brood and Possession are the most divorced movies in history.

In a good way.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Turtles All the Way Down: Explicitly a teen film based on a YA novel. But I have a much younger sister.

Some cringe for sure but none of it was related to being a teen flick. It had to do with some scenes I'm guessing worked in the novel but absolutely did not when shown on screen. I even suspect the lead actress didn't put in much effort in these because they were so silly.

And yet... solid movie. Not going on a list of favourites but I might even rewatch at some point in the ore distant future. I actually recommend it. Why? Well, it has an interesting mix of being a story about best friendship, being a PI story with a realistic ending, and a romance that is very interesting because there is actually not even a single kiss involved (reminding me of some really old school films when characters had chemistry but don't end up consummating that physically; I don't think I can name more than a handful of movies like this from recent decades.)

If you have a younger sibling or a niece or nephew take them to see it. If you're alone and just want to be entertained stream it as well!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Sourdough Sam posted:

The grotesque two headed monster in Willow is named Eborsisk after Siskel and Ebert.

Hell, one of the main villains is named after Pauline Kael.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

“Look at his muffin. It’s got a demonic face full of blueberies in it. Mine’s got nothing. I want an equal amount of demons in every muffin. Do you understand me?”

“Do you know how many seances that’ll take?”

“I don't care how long it takes, put an equal amount in each muffin.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That John Wayne war movie that lists all the real life combat veterans that were in the movie so as to emphasize Wayne’s non-military background.

lipid
Feb 21, 2001
Todd Solondz’ Storytelling disses on American Movie. I love Solondz, but not that one.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Talking poo poo on American Movie is like kicking a puppy. It did nothing to you, and just makes you look like a monster.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What did they do to the man to make him poo poo on such a small time project

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Bernard Hill has passed. RIP King Theoden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdknqszMDY

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I want to say I Love You, Daddy is CK making GBS threads on Woody Allen but he also invited Allen to play the pedophile character in it after collaborating with him, so I have no idea what happened there (also the other stuff lol). Either way, I hope they both die soon.

That's just gloating. Like the episode of the Crosby show where he puts sleeping drugs in the chili.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

To say the least.

The former I knew but not the latter.

He calls like five different movies pieces of poo poo in the commentary. Guy is a natural born hater.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like THE DIRTIES but there's no way in hell I'm taking that poo poo from that guy about MALCOLM X of all movies.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

checkplease posted:

LotR has all these conflicting elements of grandeur and simplicity. Theoden is way the hell out at the grandiose end of the story, thinking of himself as a great warrior-king and trying his best to live up to that, and has a lot of sententious lines - "So, 'tis before the walls of Minas Tirith that the great battle of our time will be decided", that sort of thing. And Hill just absolutely sold it. It's such a sincere performance of a character who could have easily come off as ridiculous.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

“Look at his muffin. It’s got a demonic face full of blueberies in it. Mine’s got nothing. I want an equal amount of demons in every muffin. Do you understand me?”

“Do you know how many seances that’ll take?”

“I don't care how long it takes, put an equal amount in each muffin.”

Ack ack ack

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s what the stormtroopers who were left behind on the moon of Endor last saw before they died

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/1364248150530285572

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love that Mark Ordesky replied to that tweet very nonchalantly

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I mean ... citizen kane? Is that too obvious?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Someone had to point out to me that all of the main suspects in Glass Onion reference irl people, not just host Elon Musk. But I'm not sure to what extent that was intentional and to what extent e.g. Dave Bautista just plays a generic MRA/PUA YouTuber and Andrew Tate happens to be a disgusting MRA/PUA YouTuber.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
It was

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow. This is dumb

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

Wow. This is dumb

I know right? Bravery is admirable and pikes are solid weapons but that knight is about to get wrecked.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jay Rust posted:

Wow. This is dumb

It's fun

Bright Bart posted:

I know right? Bravery is admirable and pikes are solid weapons but that knight is about to get wrecked.

The trolls are yoked to something not drawn, the pike has a treat on the end, it's a carrot & stick thing

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Lol check out this British critic absokutrlybfurious that Challengers got good reviews:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/06/challengers-movie-review-zendaya-luca-guadagnino

He starts of saying he's been so upset ever since watching that he has the urge to smash tennis racquets.

Other than some limited (semi-) reasonable criticism, it's batshit insanity. He points to a cameo by some famous child playing on an iPad, who no one will notice in the bleachers, as the straw that breaks the movie. He complains that the male leads look like nerds instead of beefy athletes. He complains that the first hot action scene is less a sex scene than teenagers playing spin-the-bottle and making out as a result (which is basically what they are in that scene as they're playing high schoolers.) He of course calls the film an example of US cinema being infantile.

The only compliment seems to be a backhanded one to Zendaya, saying she's a talented brand ambassador, a sharp dresser, and played supporting character MJ well in Spider-Man. I'm not saying he's a misogynist because I think he'd say the same about any IT Boy actor from Hollywood. But it reads like misogyny.

This is another example of why I don't trust British reviewers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

checkplease posted:

I was always partial to this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mtlklmna0

Fantastic.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm pretty shocked how young the actors playing characters lik Theoden or Biblo were.

Like a lot of the Fellowship crew are older than that now and they look 15 years younger at least.

Hill played a tired, veteran king really well.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Bright Bart posted:

Someone had to point out to me that all of the main suspects in Glass Onion reference irl people, not just host Elon Musk. But I'm not sure to what extent that was intentional and to what extent e.g. Dave Bautista just plays a generic MRA/PUA YouTuber and Andrew Tate happens to be a disgusting MRA/PUA YouTuber.
Johnson has said that even Elon Musk in that film is not just Musk but also Zuckerberg or Bezos, an archetype of a modern tech CEO. So you can take or leave any reference points to real people.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I kinda thought they were all pastiches. Musk just happened to be particularly on the nose with the timing of the movie's release.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It seems like it's always a better idea to do a pastiche of two or more figures with your parody characters because a) you get to make fun of a concept rather than a specific person, and b) you have plausible deniability in case they get mad.

In the case of the Bautista guy you can always say "Nonono, it wasn't Tate, it was more Joe Rogan!" etc

(I think my favorite stunt multiball pastiche was "Professor Hawk" in Dexter's Lab who was a mashup of Jobs, Gates, Stephen Hawking, and Willy Wonka)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Kazzah posted:

LotR has all these conflicting elements of grandeur and simplicity. Theoden is way the hell out at the grandiose end of the story, thinking of himself as a great warrior-king and trying his best to live up to that, and has a lot of sententious lines - "So, 'tis before the walls of Minas Tirith that the great battle of our time will be decided", that sort of thing. And Hill just absolutely sold it. It's such a sincere performance of a character who could have easily come off as ridiculous.

Yeah he's King Lear like at times but I'm always for it. Grief and then inspiration for battle. Him and Rohan are part of what make 2 and 3 great.