Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I’m going to try and watch a movie from that found footage guy that this thread likes who did the movie of the month.

Good. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/filmupdates/status/1787573263972851832?s=46

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Doltos posted:

I'm not sure what it was that was so off putting about Cosmopolis but I couldn't get through it
They're very bad at being human beings which is the funniest and most unsettling part

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Dead Ringers is the choice you plebs!!

That’s right!!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They're very bad at being human beings which is the funniest and most unsettling part

That might be a good point since I felt like the acting in that film was off, I probably just didn't get that it was supposed to be the point

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah the weird robot vampire 1%er acting combined with Don Delilo's prose just makes them feel like aliens in human suits trying to be human and I loved it. Not for everyone but it's absolutely one of my favorite Cronenberg films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8O-UYgt9Xs

They're like the people possessed by aliens in Tobe's Invaders From Mars just like, chugging coffee with tictacs and going HELLO WIFE, I BELIEVE IT IS OUR ROLE NOW TO HAVE DINNER.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I am cautiously clearing space on a little shelf in my brain labeled “Friday the 13th Part XIII.”

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Gripweed posted:

I’m very disappointed that no one said Crimes of the Future.
Everyone forgot about Crimes of the Future much like I forgot that I've watched that one too. I'm loving these replies. I'll compile the results and see what comes up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Crimes of the Future rules because it has Kristen Stewart being, a phrase I always remember from a review of it at the time, "a sweaty little gremlin".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i love the "audience member vommited" thing lol yeah ive vomitted in the theater too from eating too much candy LMAO has nothing to do with the movie

some poor dude with IBS is now part of a movies marketing campaign

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all of Cronenberg is worth a watch really but the most replayed in the Pogs house are The Fly and Eastern Promises, which has one of the least sexy but also most exhilarating nude scenea of all time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Audience members vomited/fainted" is such a turn off for me, like it's the dumbest most gimmicky thing and every horror movie does it in their PR. It's about as useful to me as a positive review from Stephen King

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I only listen when it's about some Gaspar Noe poo poo. In which case yeah, that probably did happen and it is a useful warning.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Crash licks rear end

E: kicks, but I'm leaving it

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm honestly kind of mixed on Cronenberg but Cosmopolis and Videodrome are two of my favorite things

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mikeycp posted:

Crash licks rear end

I mean considering the subject matter

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s kind of amazing that most of the time someone brings up a movie called Crash these days they’re talking about Cronenberg and not that unintentional comedy that won Best Picture.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, I only listen when it's about some Gaspar Noe poo poo. In which case yeah, that probably did happen and it is a useful warning.

i think the gaspar noe thing is more due to the 27Hz tone Noe put in. It definitely can make people nauseous/not feel well and low frequencies need a lot of power so the theater youll hear/feel it more than at home. Im sure the stuff on screen didnt help but ive always suspected the tone is the culprit more than the movie. Noe likes to make his audience physically uncomftorable and its one of the things i really dislike about him; see also the strobes in Lux Aeterna

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1787550958743879767

The upcoming Strangers movies baffle me. Isn't the whole point is that it's a pretty stripped down premise? Why are they blowing it up to such an epic thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I find them pretty tedious and boring horror movie villains, first one was OK, second one sucked, and I don't trust Renny Harlin...but gently caress it I'll prolly moviepass all these stupid chapters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s kind of amazing that most of the time someone brings up a movie called Crash these days they’re talking about Cronenberg and not that unintentional comedy that won Best Picture.

I think there might be a little bit of selection bias at work here.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

i love the "audience member vommited" thing lol yeah ive vomitted in the theater too from eating too much candy LMAO has nothing to do with the movie

some poor dude with IBS is now part of a movies marketing campaign

I've sat in audiences where this has happened and food wasn't being served. It's dumb to use it as marketing but it absolutely does happen.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

audiences vomiting is so passe. tell me when a horror movie makes a ticketholder poo poo their pants in fear

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

audiences vomiting is so passe. tell me when a horror movie makes a ticketholder poo poo their pants in fear

promotional depends

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think there might be a little bit of selection bias at work here.

I’m not talking about just in this thread. I honestly can’t remember the last time someone mentioned the other Crash.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Got around to watching Saw X.

I liked how they obviously went out of their way to give Tobin Bell center stage for once, it felt like they definitely said "the audience wants more Tobin Bell, let's give it to them".

I think two big things were out of balance though that made me feel like I didn't get what I usually do from a Saw movie. The first thing was just the fact that you know exactly why everyone is being targeted right from the beginning, and in fact you spend like 30 minutes being told that whole story right from the beginning. The series in the past has made that into a sort of mystery to be revealed as the movie goes on, so that's an interesting element that's completely missing from Saw X.

Second, the death traps in this were just so over the top and convoluted that they actually became less interesting. It's a natural evolution I guess of a series that's 10 movies in, but I feel like a line was crossed here where the games just felt too Rube Goldberg when the best stuff from the first few movies had a simple elegance that made you say "oh poo poo that's hosed up". Like, I'm not having nightmares about someone forcing me to saw my own leg off and then put a vacuum pump into my leg bone to suction out the bone marrow, but I might have nightmares about jumping into a pit of hypodermic needles. Its become a bit too absurd.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

High Warlord Zog posted:

The upcoming Strangers movies baffle me. Isn't the whole point is that it's a pretty stripped down premise? Why are they blowing it up to such an epic thing.

It's the masks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Dead Ringers is the choice you plebs!!

His best film, shocking no one else voted this way

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Class3KillStorm posted:

Have you seen his remake of The Fly already?

Fake edit: Beaten, so I will instead say go for The Dead Zone,

Wild. I love Walken, King and this movie but somehow never Cronenberg directed it

mikeycp posted:

Crash licks rear end

Sandra Bullock account spotted

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 7, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Sandra Bullock account spotted

Wrong Crash. :colbert:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Don't sleep on early Cronenberg either, Rabid and Shivers are both pretty great weird little ultracanadian films.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Existential horror at best but Canadian end of the world flick last night has cronenberg in a role and I really liked it.

Woman in red was pretty fun, but while not pervy the kids facing their memories of being molested was a bit too heavy for these flicks

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 7, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Throwing up during a scary movie is a pretty good bit, but now everyone needs to poop their pants or else they’re not horror enough. Why gatekeep so much. Pukers and poopers should be celebrated.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody seen the TV series Werewolf from 1987? It’s probably most notable for being part of the original Fox lineup when the network launched.

A college kid gets turned by his infected roommate, kills him, and tries to hunt down the originator of the bloodline while in turn being hunted by a bounty hunter (named Joe Rogan of all things). They wisely don’t tie the cycle to the full moon so people transform when convenient for the plot. Werewolves designed by Rick Baker, although these are the discount specials with minimal facial movements and they kind of look like wolf gorillas.

I’m digging it so far. Outside of the pilot movie which was a bit padded, episodes are a brisk 23 minutes. I can’t remember the last time I saw a show that wasn’t a comedy with runtimes like that. The limited budget means the soundtrack is either synth stuff or an 80s guitar thing which adds to the vibes. Chuck Connors is a mean looking mofo as the Big Bad, and I think he gets replaced by Brian Thompson in S2.

I’m just watching VHS rips on YouTube so the quality is rear end but it helps mask the effects. Tons of smoky night shots.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1787675744396587515?s=46

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont want a prequel i want jason to kill zoomers

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I would love to see Jason kill people who enjoy trauma horror

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the backstory is the most boring part of friday the 13th give the zombie jason a machete and let him on loose on tik tok

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
influencers showing up on jason's turf and taking selfies near his house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Doltos posted:

I would love to see Jason kill people who enjoy trauma horror

People who enjoy Friday the 13th, then