Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
hau hau

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I was never considered 'gifted' but I was smart enough to coast through high school without needing to try very hard. Cue me almost flunking out of college twice because I never had to learn how to take notes or study :smith:

This is the platonic ideal of that 'reading a list = content' meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWjqgM_CU8

A for-real Wait For It :hmmyes:

e:

They both worked fine for me originally, but I'm running the script from the OP to apply some presets to MP4s, maybe that fixes the audio as well :shrug:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix videos - somethingawful.com
// @namespace   Violentmonkey Scripts
// @match       https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @version     1.0
// @author      -
// @description 2/27/2020, 11:56:31 PM
// ==/UserScript==

const fixVideos = setTimeout(function(){
  var videos = document.getElementsByTagName('video');
  for(var i = 0; i < videos.length; i++){
    videos[i].removeAttribute('loop');
    videos[i].controls = true;
    videos[i].pause();
    videos[i].currentTime = 0;
    videos[i].volume = 0.2;
    videos[i].muted = false;
  }
}, 500);

Please, all these big brane science memes and then a math problem at the end?? :negative:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grundulum posted:

Did five-year-old Tree Bucket figure out why they needed an external source of light in order to see stuff? Seems like “darkness” is a bit of a refutation to emission theory, but the Wikipedia page is strangely silent on this.

I can't remember that bit, sadly. Just being really certain of it.
Same deal with all dogs are boys and all cats are girls.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Thanks, it was some kind of 'Top five/ten/whatever creepy things' video with spooky Unsolved Mysteries type music and an English guy narrating in a serious deadpan style. The list items were all ridiculous, but the narrator's delivery was great. I don't remember the details clearly sorry.

I don’t think that narrator is actually English. :-D

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Did five-year-old Tree Bucket figure out why they needed an external source of light in order to see stuff? Seems like “darkness” is a bit of a refutation to emission theory, but the Wikipedia page is strangely silent on this.

Not sure if Empedocles reads this thread but if he does he got owned right now

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Not sure if Empedocles is emitting this thread but if he does he got owned right now

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've been calling him Empy-Dokles as a savage burn

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
:hmmno:

:hmmyes:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

:thejoke:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm happy it was posted, i just read the upside down text without flipping the screen over and didn't get the extra visual punch of the image :toot:

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Requesting any and all botany memes, please

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm assuming helianthus tuberosus is like a potato that makes sunflowers.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Hell yeah, keep 'em coming

OwlFancier posted:

I'm assuming helianthus tuberosus is like a potato that makes sunflowers.

Pretty much, yeah. They got tripled chromosomes from hybridization a long-rear end time ago, so their tubers are way bigger and more profuse than the parent species. They also tend to sneak smaller bits a ways away from the main ones under ground so when you harvest (or try to eradicate them) there's usually at least a little clone material left that will grow.
I'm growing them along a sun-scorched hellstrip as cheap and easy perennial sunflowers, but they're also a convenient food storage.

ChthonicMasturbatr has a new favorite as of 15:35 on May 7, 2024

blacksocks
Feb 20, 2007

root beer posted:

My daughter has reportedly scored in the 93rd percentile on her state math tests for fifth grade this year, but I’m not going to put her through anything that’s going to give her that “gifted kid” mentality because she does not need to end up like my useless rear end.

[edit] christ, we just got a letter from the school recommending to us that she enter the gifted program for creative thinking

This sounds like you think giving your daughter an opportunity outside the straight and narrow is going to change her personality.

Wouldn't it actually put her on a negative path of "never had to work hard" if you keep her out of the advanced math, creative thinking, or whatever other class?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my nephew got in a regional gifted kids class after breezing through most of primary school, and then he learned he was actually one of the slowest kids there and had to work really hard to keep up. I like to think it's better to learn that lesson at age 11-12 than to learn it in college

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They did a straight up IQ test on first graders before admitting them to gifted and talented, and there was a hard floor. I got in by one point so I knew exactly where I was on that particular totem pole.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
gonna get my nose all up in that stamen and give it a good whiff

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

zoux posted:

They did a straight up IQ test on first graders before admitting them to gifted and talented, and there was a hard floor. I got in by one point so I knew exactly where I was on that particular totem pole.

a very scientific and real world quantifiable 1 point of "Intelligence". Science ftw!!! :science:

remember the Season 1 episode of Simpsons where Bart erases Martin's name on the quiz so they send him to smart kid school? i havent seen it in a while, I like how it doesnt address the question, why isnt Springfield Elementary sending Martin to smart kid school, where he will be free of Bart?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I mean it's your kid so you do you but also saying "my kid is smart so I'm going to make sure to not challenge them" seems super backwards.

I say that as the classic "never had a gifted program, never was challenged until college where I hit a wall when I actually needed to try" kid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

wizard2 posted:

a very scientific and real world quantifiable 1 point of "Intelligence". Science ftw!!! :science:

remember the Season 1 episode of Simpsons where Bart erases Martin's name on the quiz so they send him to smart kid school? i havent seen it in a while, I like how it doesnt address the question, why isnt Springfield Elementary sending Martin to smart kid school, where he will be free of Bart?

I don't think that teacher or the students ever appear again. All the gifted stuff is ignored from that point on, probably for the best since it's better to have all the dorks under one roof and with the rest of the students.

And while we're on the topic, they also weren't consistent about whether Lisa or Martin is the smartest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

wizard2 posted:

Sending Bart to another school lets the Skinner free of him, but sending Martin there just lowers his school's average grades

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I only had gifted and talented classes until 8th grade, but as an ace test-taker and all-around lazy bum except when interested (wasn't diagnosed with ADD until 40!), the lesson I learned in the G&T classes was that (1) test-taking is the most important skill, (2) being G&T was a sign of superiority even when being wedgied [which I richly deserved], and (3) homework was for suckers, because they sure weren't going to pull me out of G&T classes.

Once I got to high school, things changed a little, but I went to a relatively small Catholic high school, where they ran out of math and science to teach me, and with the way the laws worked in Texas at the time I could only take three periods of classes out of seven at high school plus two college courses, which meant I spent a huge amount of my senior year driving around and screwing around instead of studying; further, the college classes were automatically pass/ fail for me, so I put zero effort into them. I had to take two semesters of correspondence classes to make up the "missing" classes, which I never did finish (I was diagnosed with depression by that time), but somehow this slipped through the cracks and I got admitted to college anyway, teaching me the valuable lesson that I can screw up and screw around, and everything's going to turn out all right.

It would have helped a lot if my G&T classes had spent less time focused on the wonder of the universe or the spectacle of history and instead taught basic study and organizational skills. I might not have had to cobble those together in college, once I started studying dead languages (about ten years later than most of my peers on average) and things got intense to the point where I was no longer anywhere close to be able to coast through them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

blacksocks posted:

This sounds like you think giving your daughter an opportunity outside the straight and narrow is going to change her personality.

Wouldn't it actually put her on a negative path of "never had to work hard" if you keep her out of the advanced math, creative thinking, or whatever other class?

Unironically I think it would've unfucked my life if my parents had taken the school's offer of shuffling me up a grade or two in grade school. Instead I breezed through practically all content up through late high school and was woefully unprepared for any kind of effort-requiring education like college or university. Being challenged when I was younger would, I think, have helped me out a lot, or somehow made me even more intolerable.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Eh most people I know who skipped a grade ended up in a pretty rough place socially. You might have been hosed either way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't tried in academia or work in my life and I don't intend to start now. Trying is for things worth doing. Like videogames.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Tree Bucket posted:

Listen, fellas, the only non-gay to wash your body is to let the guys handle it. It's just common sense

e:

when I was five, I though vision worked by some kind of seeing-ray shooting out of your eyes. It made sense at the time.
(And then much much later I read that the ancient greeks believed this too for like a thousand years, calling it emission theory, up until someone pointed out that this meant things should be easier to see if more people look at them. So five year old me was at least as smart as the philosopher Empedocles?)

Empedocles nuts

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

blacksocks posted:

it depends whether the gifted and talented program is something that actually challenges them or just Advanced Praise-Receiving

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ok lmao

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't tried in academia or work in my life and I don't intend to start now. Trying is for things worth doing. Like videogames.

You can't fail if you don't try.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

it depends whether the gifted and talented program is something that actually challenges them or just Advanced Praise-Receiving

It's this, and it varies state-to-state and even district-to-district.

My gifted classes were highly experimental and designed to heap praise on the programs. Because the majority of us were good at rote memorization and test-taking, we were exposed to a lot of material that nobody else was (like a full year devoted to Greek and Roman myth, and another full year dedicated to disasters) where we could take college-level tests right after, pass them, retain nothing, and make the program look good. None of it was challenging because none of it required thought, just simple memorization. We did have free study time, which most of us used for non-scholastic topics (I learned networking! And programming! In middle school!) but that was mostly to show off what we could do, and since it was non standards-based and totally self-guided, again, no challenge.

The school board then used our "benchmarks" to ruin education for the general middle school population and tank the county's ratings for several years. They literally redesigned the curriculum based on gifted results and applied it to genpop.

I've heard it better now in some places, sometimes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I coasted on being smart in grade school and didn't learn studying, then I got owned in high school where I was expected to memorize stuff and do homework. Then I went on to university where I went right back to barely studying and basically just coasting on being smart and attending stuff outside of class. And now I'm in an unrelated job just coasting along and doing great. My point is that I'm loving great I guess? Also very likely autistic.

I was never in a gifted programme (we don't really have those in Denmark I think), but I did take 7th-9th in a private school with an entrance exam and pretty serious approach to learning.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING