Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

...huh. Is this manga normally this explicit, or is this a more recent development?

Prior to this it has been basically exclusively incredibly skimpy costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Chainsawman, honestly I think the current part 2 is overrated. Half the panels appear to be Denji or someone else having a slack jawed :downs: expression. Very little of the comedic timing has been present in this run, not to mention how they’re treating our loveable goof Denji.

Hard disagree. Might’ve been a stretch at the beginning of part 2 that was light on comedy (when it was setting things up for the new act) but overall I’d say part 2 was funnier than part 1. Especially last couple of chapters of part 2.

Probably some recency bias in play, but I can think of a lot more funny moments in part 2 than part 1.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Darth TNT posted:

Chainsawman, honestly I think the current part 2 is overrated. Half the panels appear to be Denji or someone else having a slack jawed :downs: expression. Very little of the comedic timing has been present in this run, not to mention how they’re treating our loveable goof Denji.
Part 1 was cohesive and absurdist, part 2 is just... a lot of disconnected stuff happening. There were some fun beats when it was purely the Asa show, but I feel like it lost the thread a while back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squidster posted:

Part 1 was cohesive and absurdist, part 2 is just... a lot of disconnected stuff happening. There were some fun beats when it was purely the Asa show, but I feel like it lost the thread a while back.

It really isn't disconnected at all. The plot has bee "Asa is attempting to find out who Chainsaw Man is" with a side of "Denji is trying to balance his now 'normal' life with Chainsaw Man antics" and we've now reached the part where those things have come to a head.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Asa’s half of the story has been a slightly different take on Denji’s cracked coming-of-age arc from part 1, but meanwhile Denji’s own life has gone on and he’s learning in all the worst ways how self-actualization is far more painful and messy than a quest to touch a titty

that split between the two has been getting more pronounced as Asa drifts further away from the horrors of her past and Denji into the horror of his future, so nearly all the comedic bits have been in her half. interested to see how they tie up

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Manatee Cannon posted:

lmao twin start exorcists pulling the baby dimension from fire emblem fates out of its rear end

wouldn't the baby need to be of full grown fighting age to be comparable

also what senator do I need to write for them to put Dadadan on the app

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://x.com/SugoiLITE/status/1785910158360736013

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Oh gently caress yeah

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mikeycp posted:

Oh gently caress yeah

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Super weird since I was thinking of starting that manga again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elite posted:

Hard disagree. Might’ve been a stretch at the beginning of part 2 that was light on comedy (when it was setting things up for the new act) but overall I’d say part 2 was funnier than part 1. Especially last couple of chapters of part 2.

Probably some recency bias in play, but I can think of a lot more funny moments in part 2 than part 1.

It's recency bias, I'm pretty sure. Pretty much every time Power was on screen in part 1 had gags, and Denji was a lot more funny-demented rather than just depressed. The last few chapters undermining everything else to fit in more gags distorts perception, I think.

As for funnier, even aside from questions of joke density, part 1 landed much harder when it went all out. Kobeni's car (that she was totally driving!) and Family Burger made me laugh in shock, while part 2 peaks at "heh" lately.

Of course, part of it is how part 1 didn't go in for the gag resolution as often. Getting serious dramatic conclusions to character arcs (like Reze's tragedy, or the pointless and sudden murder of Kurose and Tendo) meant that you were off balance, and comedy threw you in an unexpected direction. Meanwhile, the prison break arc always had threats undermined by a punchline, so it wasn't unexpected any more. Even when the gags worked, you saw something like them coming, so they had less kick.

I don't dislike part 2. Some of the chapters are really strong, Denji's development from the end of part 1 is interesting (assuming it's going somewhere beyond "Denji is depressed"), and even though part 1 handled the gags better, they still can be pretty funny...

But compared to part 1 and Fujimoto's one-shots, it's such a sharp decline in just about every way, with this last arc being the nadir. (And I hope it's not just the nadir so far.) It's disappointing, and I really hope Fujimoto gets back on his game soon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think Asa falling on the chicken is truly brilliant, but I admit I stopped following week to week at the falling devil. Do look forward to catching up when I hear part 2 ends.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

NBA monogatari

https://mangadex.org/title/5242461e-8e4f-4169-9e96-260ce080118a/nba-story

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I kind of wonder how long Yomi no Tsugai is going to continue for. It's been carrying on for a while now with a surprisingly low degree of escalation, which makes me wonder if it's going to stay a relatively-contained story about Asa and Yoru finding their parents, or if it's eventually going to shoot off into the shounen stratosphere.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RatHat posted:

Skeleton double just announced it will end in 3 chapters. That’s a shame, I was really enjoying it. I wonder if this is an intentional choice or if it wasn’t selling well

Don't give up, skeleton!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The bassist in Girl Meets Rock! rules I hope she murders someone

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I enjoyed the whiplash between Ayame and Chihiro's stories.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I like how she's got a schemin' mode

And a starry-eyed fan mode

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

no pain greater than realizing at 11 on sunday that there's no jump this week

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I like Girl Meets Rock! to a surprising extent. There are a lot "girls do music" series, but IMHO this one manages to distinguish itself pretty well. I love all those dumb teenagers doing dumb teenager things and occasionally playing music (and the bassist being a disturbingly competent manipulator). :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

no pain greater than realizing at 11 on sunday that there's no jump this week

Okay, Bondo.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I was behind this week, so there being no Jump actually came at a great time.

gift of poison: the fact that the MC was considering murdering someone, seriously or not, makes me wonder where this is gonna go. He's already realized that he hosed up by not just fessing up earlier,
and that girl seems intent in dragging him down further

Mikane and the Sea Woman: this loving kid

Girl Meets Rock!: I agree with everyone else, this has been a fun series so far

ByeByeBye: so maybe she didn't kill her mom after all?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Black Clover is…better than I expected given the premise/reputation. It’s still kinda pure strain shonen, but given the fundamental premise “the main character has the SUPER SPECIAL anti-magic sword that he’ll use to become wizard hokage” I just expected Asta to brute force his way through fights single-handed and not the focus on team dynamics, which makes the power of friendship more palatable when it’s a group of misfit losers believing in each other to win. Good enough for a Golden Week binge at least.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Celebration posted:

Black Clover is…better than I expected given the premise/reputation. It’s still kinda pure strain shonen, but given the fundamental premise “the main character has the SUPER SPECIAL anti-magic sword that he’ll use to become wizard hokage” I just expected Asta to brute force his way through fights single-handed and not the focus on team dynamics, which makes the power of friendship more palatable when it’s a group of misfit losers believing in each other to win. Good enough for a Golden Week binge at least.
Yami is one of the best/funniest mentor characters in shonen too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've always enjoyed the character stuff in Black Clover more than the actual action.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Fabricated posted:

Yami is one of the best/funniest mentor characters in shonen too

:hai:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I've always enjoyed the character stuff in Black Clover more than the actual action.

Yeah, same, though at least so far a lot of the fights are kinda multipurpose punchman shonen and character stuff.

Also not a complaint, just an observation, but this manga sure loves to do “hard swerve from intended mission”, at least so far there was the ruin exploration that got interrupted by the enemy army, the underwater tournament arc that got interrupted by the bad guys like 20% of the way through, and the Royal Knight Exams that I would say got interrupted, only it was the plan all along to just have everyone fight until the spy magic manifested itself. Oh, and the big one right now for me, (big spoilers) the elves have possessed most of the kingdom’s commoners while we were just supposed to be raiding the bad guy base, and also gently caress everything’s just gone so far south. RIP Wizard King, it’s always the fun characters who go early.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Black Clover isn't terrible or anything, it's just a perfectly standard shounen for both good and ill

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Clover is basically the most absolute Entirely Competent shonen out there. It is not great, it is not terrible, it hits the mark on everything it needs to hit the mark on and does not go an inch outside of its mark. Which is, honestly, fine. It's the "I'm just fine with a B" student of Shonen Jump.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has some high highs, but most of it is thoroughly mid.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Life’s Too Short To Read Mid Shonen

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah that really doesn't make me want to read it, there's nothing more tedious than absolute middling nothingness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is 100% reasonable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you asked an LLM to make a shounen you'd probably get Black Clover. Just a ton of conventions grafted together with nothing of its own to contribute.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Black Clover has an especially fun moment where a weak character fights on even footing with a much stronger character by doing something to link their total mana and split it evenly, and then that makes it a fist fight.

Also Asta being absolutely jacked is very funny.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

panko posted:

Life’s Too Short To Read Mid Shonen

Life may be short
But black clover is shorter

These chapters take mere seconds to read

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Black Clover does some fairly unique things with the protagonist side, like how his rival has always been 100% supportive and believed in him from day one with no momentary lapses due to "drama". Then there are also fun moments like the previously mentioned fist fight and Yami. However, in terms of villains and setting it is pretty generic which is why I think the quality feels like it fluctuates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vise the Stompy posted:

Black Clover does some fairly unique things with the protagonist side, like how his rival has always been 100% supportive and believed in him from day one with no momentary lapses due to "drama". Then there are also fun moments like the previously mentioned fist fight and Yami. However, in terms of villains and setting it is pretty generic which is why I think the quality feels like it fluctuates.

Yeah, I will give BC that. The rival character 100% feels like the dude who ends up getting arrogant and assholish and annoyed by his rival and has to be shown the light of his ways but he's instead the dude who goes "No, seriously, he has it" at every single chance. It's a genuinely pleasant way to handle that archetype that avoids them being an unlikable shithead.

Also the fire lion lady is pretty awesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My main issue with Black Clover is that, for a series that spends so much time on fights, the fights themselves have very little substance. Characters usually just whip out "really flashy attack with the relevant aesthetic that causes Damage."

In general I strongly prefer when shounen fights at least have some level of "you're already aware of the characters' (or at least the friendly character's) well-defined abilities and skill sets, and they're used in ways that could conceivably be predicted to defeat the opponent." Not every series needs to be HxH tier at this; you also see this sort of thing in Jujutsu Kaisen or Naruto.

In Black Clover, most magic users just end up with some generic "super flashy powerful attack (or self-buff)" that is functionally the same as other characters' attacks. This wouldn't be as big of an issue if not for the frequency of fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's a series that kept an "old-school" (90s ig) vibe in the magazine as SJ started to grow all its modern hits, which was something that always gave it a niche. Tabata does great spreads and the angle of the Black Bulls vs their rigid, hierarchical society is where its material is best, especially when that comes out in team fights. The characters are still simple and it's not immune to 1v1 one-upsmanship, but that combination of nostalgia and charm are why I kept reading. Definitely not worth a comparison to AI output and if described as "mid", it should be in the sense that you'll find nothing groundbreaking rather than it being a waste of time.