Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What's your favorite non wrestling segments for shows? I have a soft spot in my heart for Babyface after being disgraced hunts down the heels or traps them in ridiculous traps. Like Stone Cold used to do and I think Kurt Angle did once or twice.

a brutal beat down of the beloved babyface outside of the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'll always hoot and holler for a surprise debut or return saving a valiant Babyface from a brutal beatdown.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When a group tries to get a Chili's sponsorship but it gets stolen away by another group.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sandman from ECW posted:

What’s wrong with Sammy

In my opinion they[AEW] want something out of Sammy he simply isn't, which is a face. His face and mannerisms are far too punchable to ever be a face and yet they insist on turning him to try to put him over. He should always be either some top heels lovely lacky taking bumps and pins or should be a stupidly protected heel who gets beaten up, but protected by outside forces.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What's your favorite non wrestling segments for shows? I have a soft spot in my heart for Babyface after being disgraced hunts down the heels or traps them in ridiculous traps. Like Stone Cold used to do and I think Kurt Angle did once or twice.

A group celebrating a big win by someone and then turning on them or someone putting someone into position for a finisher during a promo like when the bucks setup the EVP trigger by appearing to help a guy up. I bite on it everytime

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 7, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My favorite is when two former teammates reunite after a long time apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q6NknbHNiQ&t=224s

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like when someone eats a big pizza

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'll always hoot and holler for a surprise debut or return saving a valiant Babyface from a brutal beatdown.

that's the best one

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aby8PSbIcE0

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

another shade of the thing i said is the best one is when someone isn't returning or debuting but they're turning face by coming to help. it's the third best of those but it's still in that tier

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

That's Gambit every wednesday

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When Teddy Long has ghost problems.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

The real answer is Chocolate Drop

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My favorite non-wrestling segment is that common trope where Ken Shamrock, still covered in blood from his earlier encounter with the Brood, marches like a Terminator through the building going through everything in his path until he rescues Stephanie McMahon

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I have definitely posted about this before because I've been putting it off for months, but i have a deadline now, so.

My housemate and close friend is not a wrestling person, but is open to the possibility. She's a huge classic movies buff and loves to get into things by ecploring the timeline of a genre or what have you.

So she's asked me to make a playlist of wrestling matches and promos through the ages.

problem 1: I'm not actually very well watched before the modern era! I've mostly watched lucha underground and AEW.

problem 2: I don't know where to find old matches, aside from hoping they're on youtube or dailymotion.

I know i want to get some 80s joshi in, likely some older lucha, definitely some territory era stuff with some promos in, maybe a world of sport match. She asked for a gorgeous george match purely on 'guy i have heard of' reasons. I'd like it to be about 2 hours long. Probably ending with 2-3 modern era matches. I might include that one match that was the finale of an orchestral performance if a video exists. It'd be nice to have some comedu matches in.

as you can see that full set of constraints is probably not tenable, but those are my assorted thoughts.

anyone have suggestions for particularly representative and approachable matches, promos, ect?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Has anywhere ever had a tag team (or more) freebird a singles title?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nea posted:

I have definitely posted about this before because I've been putting it off for months, but i have a deadline now, so.

My housemate and close friend is not a wrestling person, but is open to the possibility. She's a huge classic movies buff and loves to get into things by ecploring the timeline of a genre or what have you.

So she's asked me to make a playlist of wrestling matches and promos through the ages.

problem 1: I'm not actually very well watched before the modern era! I've mostly watched lucha underground and AEW.

problem 2: I don't know where to find old matches, aside from hoping they're on youtube or dailymotion.

I know i want to get some 80s joshi in, likely some older lucha, definitely some territory era stuff with some promos in, maybe a world of sport match. She asked for a gorgeous george match purely on 'guy i have heard of' reasons. I'd like it to be about 2 hours long. Probably ending with 2-3 modern era matches. I might include that one match that was the finale of an orchestral performance if a video exists. It'd be nice to have some comedu matches in.

as you can see that full set of constraints is probably not tenable, but those are my assorted thoughts.

anyone have suggestions for particularly representative and approachable matches, promos, ect?

all three flair steamboat matches should run you about 2 hours

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Answers Me posted:

Probably, but the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is the period when Chyna and Jericho were co-Intercontinental Champions. (Looking for it now, I see that WWE recognizes that period as a vacancy now.)

They didn't freebird it, anyway, every title match was a triple threat (I think) and if one of them won, they both retained. Then they had another singles match and Jericho got it to himself.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

3 count were wcw hardcore champions

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nea posted:

I could probably bash together a few really fun highlights throughout the years given some time but if you want something to break up the matches with some awesome historical Joshi and puro highlight videos that include big moves and sometimes promo clips I can't recommend this channel enough.

https://youtube.com/@purowave?si=XDEOQLqWgNVJOz02

Also this would eat an entire hour of your runtime so I don't recommend putting it in but I wanted to link it anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDtJsn1H4Hk

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Answers Me posted:

The Throwbacks in Chikara sort of did in an interim champion way. Mr. Touchdown broke his leg while champion, so he gave it to Dasher Hatfield to defend until he healed up. Dasher, who had never been champ up to that point despite some close calls, defended it for a few months before Touchdown announced his return. When Touchdown asked for the belt back, Dasher laid him out and they feuded over it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I like it when the face beats the poo poo out of the heel because too much evil goes unpunished in the real world and clips of Fist of the North Star where Kenshiro royally fucks up morally unambiguous shitheads in creative and interesting ways is a source of great comfort to me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Christian Cage rocks because he is so good at getting absolutely obliterated by a cool face

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Spiked baseball bat to the crotch, getting thrown in a casket and sent to hell. Checks out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nea posted:

Just show her anything Timeless Toni Storm has done

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Christian Cage rocks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Christian Cage rocks because he is so good at getting absolutely obliterated by a cool face

Cage honestly Gets It in a way I hadn't realized until he hit AEW.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I enjoy any type of vehicular mayhem

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I miss the wrestler interview segments that only existed to sucker one of the faces into a brutal rear end kicking. It wouldn't happen *all* the time but it was always in the back of Kid Me's head that anyone accepting a Paul Bearer interview was risking their drat life

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm a simple man. I like when something is happening and then Samoa Joe walks in with a mic and destroys everyone with is words.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

I miss the wrestler interview segments that only existed to sucker one of the faces into a brutal rear end kicking. It wouldn't happen *all* the time but it was always in the back of Kid Me's head that anyone accepting a Paul Bearer interview was risking their drat life

One thing I always thought was cool was back when Warrior was ambushed and nearly murdered on the Funeral Parlor, weeks afterwards, Hogan was a guest and the first thing he did was angrily check every casket on the set before getting in Bearer's face.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gavok posted:

One thing I always thought was cool was back when Warrior was ambushed and nearly murdered on the Funeral Parlor, weeks afterwards, Hogan was a guest and the first thing he did was angrily check every casket on the set before getting in Bearer's face.

That Warrior segment severely freaked me out and made my life-long mortiphobia manifest in my consciousness.
And an obvious fear of caskets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anyone have the video of a Japanese wrestler chopping a line of fans? My memory and google failed me.

https://twitter.com/AngelaBelcamino/status/1787552522443292912

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Nea posted:

A few more comments, since the thread's mostly moved on to other questions.

1) Finding matches before WWE in general is really hard, since no one really cared about recording wrestling that way. There's a Gorgeous George match from 1950 on Youtube, but you may have a big gap between that and the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe just include one of those gifs of French wrestlers doing crazy poo poo in the 50s to show that things were always kind of nuts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpTpuWSU48

2) Since you're covering a lot of ground, you're probably going to be condensing a lot of stuff. All of Hulkamania is just Hogan slamming Andre. All of 90s Japan is one deathmatch and the approachable All Japan match you can find. All of the Attitude Era is the My Way video and Austin vs Rock. Maybe all of 2010s WWE is the Monster video and Daniel Bryan vs HHH, since that's emblematic of WWE finally letting the indie style in, and you can probably find a good Ring of Honor match that leads into that.

(I'm not exactly a lucha expert, but I have a feeling it might be hard to get the kind of long-term depth you want for the same reason it's hard to find much for the 50s-80s. So... maybe just go for the obvious choice and grab one of the WCW Eddie Guerrero/Rey Misterio matches and then something relatively modern?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

A few more comments, since the thread's mostly moved on to other questions.

1) Finding matches before WWE in general is really hard, since no one really cared about recording wrestling that way. There's a Gorgeous George match from 1950 on Youtube, but you may have a big gap between that and the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe just include one of those gifs of French wrestlers doing crazy poo poo in the 50s to show that things were always kind of nuts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpTpuWSU48

2) Since you're covering a lot of ground, you're probably going to be condensing a lot of stuff. All of Hulkamania is just Hogan slamming Andre. All of 90s Japan is one deathmatch and the approachable All Japan match you can find. All of the Attitude Era is the My Way video and Austin vs Rock. Maybe all of 2010s WWE is the Monster video and Daniel Bryan vs HHH, since that's emblematic of WWE finally letting the indie style in, and you can probably find a good Ring of Honor match that leads into that.

(I'm not exactly a lucha expert, but I have a feeling it might be hard to get the kind of long-term depth you want for the same reason it's hard to find much for the 50s-80s. So... maybe just go for the obvious choice and grab one of the WCW Eddie Guerrero/Rey Misterio matches and then something relatively modern?)

There's a bunch of 1950s wrestling online now thanks to this channel and some others:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWXxP_rvXryBPpjIw7Dl9Tg

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I've always loved this backstage bit with Big Show & Kane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tlZXXBCgSA

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MassRafTer posted:

There's a bunch of 1950s wrestling online now thanks to this channel and some others:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWXxP_rvXryBPpjIw7Dl9Tg

Oh poo poo, nice. There's still a big gap and a lot of guys we can barely see in their prime, but that's still cool as hell.

(And then I realize the one random Gorgeous George clip I linked is from that channel.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oh poo poo, nice. There's still a big gap and a lot of guys we can barely see in their prime, but that's still cool as hell.

(And then I realize the one random Gorgeous George clip I linked is from that channel.)

There's definitely gaps (while there's some San Francisco now, we still don't have prime Stevens) but with the WCW Australia stuff that's popped up, plus the various US territories we have a pretty good look at how English speaking wrestling looked in the TV era even if it isn't exhaustive. Definitely better than even 10 years ago.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I think my biggest gap in knowledge and history is Bobby Shane who is like heel Magnum TA by how old people talk about him in that he would've been an absolute first ballot hall of fame legend but got tragically cut short, and I want to know how good Bobby Shane really was.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
thanks for the answers, everyone! I'm gonna grab some of these and start figuring out what the gently caress this playlist is gonna look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nea posted:

thanks for the answers, everyone! I'm gonna grab some of these and start figuring out what the gently caress this playlist is gonna look like.

If it helps, WWE's YouTube channel does have a ton of highlights posted, as do random YT channels in general. You can pretty easily find things like Mankind winning the WWF Championship or Sting vs. Vader matches or classic NWA, AJW, and AJPW with some digging. They've even posted things like the MITB 2011 main event between Punk and Cena on YT before. TNA's YouTube is amazing too as it is constantly posting classic matches and highlights and even whole PPVs. And of course, you should always include stuff that gets you personally excited as hell to share. It's hard to boil down just one thing that makes wrestling special or presents a full breadth of the timeline of the sport but I'm really excited to see how the playlist comes together when it's done and what her reactions will be. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you're condensing stuff with music videos, I'll always love this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC7V-ayjorg