Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the easiest no hassle way to sell an old iPad Pro these days? I don't want to deal with Facebook marketplace.

Yeah either swappa or trade it in.

I’ve had a great experience with swappa both selling and buying but trading it in is the absolute easiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
By far the best review of the new ipads is Snazzy Labs. The information about the tandem OLED and M4 alone are just stellar pieces of work <3

As someone who follows this kind of super nerdy poo poo, I can say without a doubt that it would take days of following discussions and papers to consolidate anything approaching the quality and volume of information he lays out from 3:40 to 8:30 alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3moprE5S3Qc

I feel like a lot of people don't fully understand what is going on here; the new Pros are an outrageous technical flex. I don't think there is a more advanced piece of consumer technology, period. You can totally decide that you don't care about all of that, 100% fair, but it is unbelievable what they pulled off here, even if the form factor itself is restrictive (mostly due to apple BS)

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2024

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I use eBay because I buy most of my devices for work and run my own biz so having a paper trail on sales with something everyone knows is helpful when I replace older hardware.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Taima posted:

I don't think there is a more advanced piece of consumer technology, period.

bro it's just half of laptop with only one port on it

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah that's right :)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Literally just an iPhone with an enlarged screen if you get the cellular model

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

oh. ok well anyways :cheers: yall and see you next launch. What a banger.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Taima posted:

Which really does make you wonder what the nano etch is for? Is there a person buying the new Pros who wants their screen to look worse in everyday environments,

You're missing the point of who the etched glass is being positioned to. The nano-etched glass is for color accuracy work. It kills the wow-factor vibrancy because that actually works against doing color accurate work. It also reduces reflections, especially outdoor, which is again important for color accurate work. It's only an option on the 1TB and 2TB models likely because the people who would get benefit from it are going to be working with massive file sizes for creative work. Not just for watching Netflix and YouTube videos. If you don't know whether or not you need the etched glass then you don't need it.

My dad was about to order one when he had me look at his selection for a sanity check, and he'd gone with the 13" 2TB nano-etched model with the magic keyboard. Doing a quick review of his existing iPad and usage habits I knocked him down to the 13" 256GB standard-glass model w/keyboard since he neither needed the extra storage and would have gotten zero benefit from the etched glass (would have actually worsened his experience). Not every configuration makes sense for every person.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 8, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

oops sorry I said that but it was at the end of the page before:

quote:

My sense on it re: the nano glass is that you don't need it unless you're going to be outside with it and/or need an apparent boost in color accuracy in bright environments.

You probably already know if you want it based on those pretty specific use cases.

I think we're totally on the same page. I stupidly spread my discussion over multiple pages, so by all means ignore what I said, you said it way better.

Branch Nvidian posted:

My dad was about to order one when he had me look at his selection for a sanity check, and he'd gone with the 13" 2TB nano-etched model with the magic keyboard. Doing a quick review of his existing iPad and usage habits I knocked him down to the 13" 256GB standard-glass model w/keyboard since he neither needed the extra storage and would have gotten zero benefit from the etched glass (would have actually worsened his experience). Not every configuration makes sense for every person.

We bought the exact same thing for the same reasons, excellent taste going on here

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I no longer have a covered smoking spot, and I'd like to be able to see my ipad better outside. But lol at that only being available on an iPad that costs $3000+ Canadian dollars.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Taima posted:

By far the best review of the new ipads is Snazzy Labs. The information about the tandem OLED and M4 alone are just stellar pieces of work <3

As someone who follows this kind of super nerdy poo poo, I can say without a doubt that it would take days of following discussions and papers to consolidate anything approaching the quality and volume of information he lays out from 3:40 to 8:30 alone.

I feel like a lot of people don't fully understand what is going on here; the new Pros are an outrageous technical flex. I don't think there is a more advanced piece of consumer technology, period. You can totally decide that you don't care about all of that, 100% fair, but it is unbelievable what they pulled off here, even if the form factor itself is restrictive (mostly due to apple BS)

It's weird because Apple used to be all about thoughtful and genius industrial design applied to things you never new you needed, whereas modern apple is like them flexing their enormous wealth and supply chain dominance to put the best screen technology into product designs that don't completely fit into people's lives (the vision pro, and to a lesser extent, this). There are lots of things I prefer about their products and design that make me lean towards them, but I can't remember the last time they launched something that felt new, surprising and exciting. Remember when every new computer felt like a landmark work of industrial design that would set the aesthetic for every home office for the next 2 years?

A podcast I listened to recently had a really good quote, which was that when you used to think of Apple you'd imagine the world's best designers and engineers in a room inventing stuff. But now when you imagine Apple, you imagine the world's best negotiators locking down supply chains for stuff and deals with developers and services.

Also that Snazzy Labs guy - I dunno. He often has some useful content but he keeps getting caught on Twitter making embrassing 2000's era flame war replies to companies who make Android phones in a very corporate simp kinda way.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't have any favorite YouTubers in tech, But Greg's Gadgets video on the iPad 9th gen is what convinced me to buy one over everything else as my first tablet.

(Nota power user; only reason i upgraded was for FaceID :-/ )

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 8, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't have any favorite YouTubers in tech, But Greg's Gadgets video on the iPad 9th gen is what convinced me to buy one over everything else as my first tablet.

(Nota power user; only reason i upgraded was for FaceID :-/ )

The only tech tubers I enjoy don't do anything with Apple gear. Gamers Nexus seem to have an unspoken but visible disdain for Apple and Cathode Ray Dude seems like he probably just doesn't find Apple's stuff terribly interesting. It's a shame because the entire space is otherwise occupied by run of the mill youtube-face clickbait garbage where the people doing the videos barely know more about the products than what the marketing and spec sheets tell them. They can define a TFLOP but they have no idea what it actually conveys beyond bigger number. Someone needs to develop into an actual hard numbers Apple youtube channel.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

It's weird because Apple used to be all about thoughtful and genius industrial design applied to things you never new you needed, whereas modern apple is like them flexing their enormous wealth and supply chain dominance to put the best screen technology into product designs that don't completely fit into people's lives (the vision pro, and to a lesser extent, this). There are lots of things I prefer about their products and design that make me lean towards them, but I can't remember the last time they launched something that felt new, surprising and exciting. Remember when every new computer felt like a landmark work of industrial design that would set the aesthetic for every home office for the next 2 years?

A podcast I listened to recently had a really good quote, which was that when you used to think of Apple you'd imagine the world's best designers and engineers in a room inventing stuff. But now when you imagine Apple, you imagine the world's best negotiators locking down supply chains for stuff and deals with developers and services.

There's a lot of truth here for sure. In a lot of ways, tech feels a little Finished. Or at least, it feels more than good enough to where we can go "ok, we did tech really good, now let's make it socially responsible and make sure everyone can have it / afford it, then we can come back to making it better in a hot second"

We have no interest in doing that, so what you have in its place is this almost like, Faustian quest for perfection, right.

As you said, we are using vast quantities of resources to create almost literally unthinkably complex supply chains all in the service, ultimately, of letting someone Watch Movies in Bed Real Good. And the business and form of that success is rooted largely in upgrades benefiting a wealthy elite.

It's pretty gross any way you look at it :shrug:

re: snazzy, for sure. I don't know the channel well, I just loved this specific video for the technical analysis and he brings receipts too

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 8, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know what they say, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism!

If you want a big overpriced tablet that is as bright as the sun with the highest possible resolution, just do it. It will have negligible impact on the health of the world as any change that actually matters has to come from the top. As long as freighters are endlessly hauling cheap plastic products to our ports or billionaires use private jets to get lunch the impact of one pleb trying to save the planet is worthless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yup that’s why I ordered mine!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you enjoy needless drama and still have a twitter account, go watch the replies to this

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1787864325258162239

People seems to be very upset at the iPad pro hydraulic press ad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It is a pretty lovely, tasteless ad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Because it's hugely wasteful and all you get out of it is a lovely iThing?

Or is it tasteless because they didn't, like, give money to the youtube hydraulic press people

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Last Chance posted:

It is a pretty lovely, tasteless ad.

I don't think i have ever seen a decent apple ad since Tim took the reins, but i agree that this is worse than their usual baseline.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
there are a million better ways to do the "ipad holds all these creative tools in a tiny form factor" concept than showing literal physical destruction of the instruments of art, holy poo poo.

like, that is more on brand for some lovely ai engine than apple.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not anymore wasteful than the typical Hollywood production I don’t see the big deal

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The ad fits perfectly into the modern day Apple aesthetic.

I remember back in the day when the events seemed somewhat cool. Now every event is full of slick people and an ever-increasing use of words like amazing and incredible, trying to convince us that this is not just a money machine trying to squeeze as much profit as possible out of tiny advancements that won’t make any difference in the day to day use for most people. You would think that the change from a live event to a pre-recorded video would give them plenty of time and opportunity to do something creative but I guess they can’t even fool themselves anymore.

Even the office spaces in every shot are depressing to watch.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Somebody post the Xbox One launch YouTube.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taima posted:

0.6 mm thinner than my current ipad pro, finally a reason to upgrade! Apple's done it again folks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

there are a million better ways to do the "ipad holds all these creative tools in a tiny form factor" concept than showing literal physical destruction of the instruments of art, holy poo poo.

Don't worry, Daisy will be able to extract all the useful components out of the mess.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

just posting to say my 2018 12.9” iPad Pro is still amazing 5.5 years later - aside from Safari tabs reloading more often than new ones or something there’s nothing old feeling about it. But I’m just a content consumer pig

McGurk fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 8, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McGurk posted:

just posting to say my 2018 12.9” iPad Pro is still amazing 5.5 years later - aside from Safari tabs reloading more often than new ones or something there’s nothing old feeling about it. But I’m just a content consumer pig

Yeah I upgraded from a Gen 1 Pro to an M1 and I don't see any need to replace this any time soon. Thankfully when I get around to it, they'll either still be making 13" Airs or OLED Pros will be totally matured and running an M10 or some poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

The only tech tubers I enjoy don't do anything with Apple gear. Gamers Nexus seem to have an unspoken but visible disdain for Apple and Cathode Ray Dude seems like he probably just doesn't find Apple's stuff terribly interesting. It's a shame because the entire space is otherwise occupied by run of the mill youtube-face clickbait garbage where the people doing the videos barely know more about the products than what the marketing and spec sheets tell them. They can define a TFLOP but they have no idea what it actually conveys beyond bigger number. Someone needs to develop into an actual hard numbers Apple youtube channel.

Gamers Nexus is right to hate them; Apple is against user upgradeable parts, Right to Repair, anti-Union, and has had a history of anti-competitive behavior ever since Steve Jobs came back.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Xabi posted:

The ad fits perfectly into the modern day Apple aesthetic.

I remember back in the day when the events seemed somewhat cool. Now every event is full of slick people and an ever-increasing use of words like amazing and incredible, trying to convince us that this is not just a money machine trying to squeeze as much profit as possible out of tiny advancements that won’t make any difference in the day to day use for most people. You would think that the change from a live event to a pre-recorded video would give them plenty of time and opportunity to do something creative but I guess they can’t even fool themselves anymore.

Even the office spaces in every shot are depressing to watch.

I'm really curious if the people who work there actually think the events are cool. They feel so corporate and fake.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Taima posted:

They need to just let people run Mac OS on them. That's all they need. The hardware is clearly capable, and it would let the iPad do things that iPads have never done before.

A better screen and faster processor don't unlock anything new.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Gamers Nexus is right to hate them; Apple is against user upgradeable parts, Right to Repair, anti-Union, and has had a history of anti-competitive behavior ever since Steve Jobs came back.

Oh I totally agree. Apple's approach is anathema to Gamers Nexus' stance on all those things. I'm not so much bemoaning GN not coving Apple stuff as I am there not existing a real equivalent reviewer for Apple products. I'd imagine that anyone who wants to do that kind of testing and reporting would have to either devolve into the usual tech tuber gimmicks or branch out and also cover PC hardware in order to not get obliterated by the algorithm though. And once you're at the point of also coving PC hardware, well GN just does it better so no one will want to watch your poo poo anyway.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm not so much bemoaning GN not coving Apple stuff as I am there not existing a real equivalent reviewer for Apple products.

Doesn't notebookcheck still do that kind of in-depth nerd testing?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Apple Watch
AirPods
The whole M-series chip design

The iPad is a mature product. Why are we expecting some radical new design at this point? That’s how you get butterfly keyboards.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm still waiting for the phone that can take a selfie of itself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FCKGW posted:

The iPad is a mature product. Why are we expecting some radical new design at this point? That’s how you get butterfly keyboards.

This, in a way, is a radical new design. I’m still wrapping my head around their need to make things stupid thin. Did anyone feel the current models were too thick? To go ahead and push for thinner, at the cost of battery size (regardless of chip efficiency) on this device seems absolutely wild to me. They could have kept the same thickness and wowed people with EVEN MORE battery life. But no, let’s limit ourselves for no apparent reason and have now set the current (prior?) models battery life baselines the standard moving forward instead of improving on it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

grahm posted:

I'm really curious if the people who work there actually think the events are cool. They feel so corporate and fake.

There's a reason they don't have live audiences anymore. Glorious Leader needs to always show that The Company never makes mistakes.

As perfect and well choreographed as a Russian ballet, or Chinese military parade.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 9, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unpopular opinion I like thin devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I like big tech and I cannot lie.