Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Frontlines is half a level. If that's good or bad tends to depend on what level you are. At L80+? It's great! At L30? It's not.

Most importantly Frontlines gives XP on the job you queue on, not the job you actually play. This has let me get all the melees to 90 without needing to do anything I dislike such as playing a melee.

Waaaaait. What? You just queue in job to get the bonus and change jobs and whatever you join as = Frontlines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yep

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Waaaaait. What? You just queue in job to get the bonus and change jobs and whatever you join as = Frontlines?

Yes. I have leveled most of the melee jobs in Endwalker by playing Scholar.

To my shame I admit that I actually played Monk, since I needed a DPS for trusts anyhow and I kind of enjoy MNK unlike the rest of its misbegotten kind. I should hand in my caster card.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

you gotta load in on the job you queued with because thats how queues work, but you can change class at the spawn point in frontlines to any class you want. you get the xp on the job you queued with

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah -- I think it may be intended to let people balance on the fly if they load into an Oops All Melee DPS party, but it's handy to let you level every job in Frontline without having to learn all of them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

goblin week posted:

they'll only get better at like level 95, at this point it's sunk cost fallacy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Most of them are just worse stats than the last tomeset upgraded until the 95 dungeon. The 96 whites (HQ) I think usually equal them or get just above as well. If you're geared at the end of an expac you don't actually need any of the gear you're given until over halfway through the expac, usually.

I mean yeah no poo poo but don't be the goober who keeps wearing it up to 100

Oxyclean posted:

Playing devil's advocate, but if you have a messy armory chest / things at a lot of different levels and/or end up leveling a lot of stuff at the same time, I feel like you'd end up with a lot of clutter since it'd be easy to end up with like, 95 gear, 97 gear, 99 gear, the multiply that by multiple roles.

Personally I got everything at 90 so it should be easy enough to get everything into credendum gear for a fairly clean starting point.

It's a bit flimsy of an excuse when you can just wander over to your GC and drop off old poo poo for seals

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Frontlines allows you to change jobs at the home point. It's not just good for leveling, if you care about PVP you can also adjust your job to match your opponents.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Failboattootoot posted:

Yup, and the corollary to this is you can sell the quest rewards for shitloads of money. You would think this wouldn't be the case since everyone is doing MSQ and should be getting them, but no. HQ quest rewards were consistently going for 100k+ during EW launch window.

You're overlooking the fact that some people level multiple jobs during MSQ and you only get one set of gear from quest rewards now. So people who don't buy poetics gear or already spent all their poetics have an incentive to buy gear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

goblin week posted:

they'll only get better at like level 95, at this point it's sunk cost fallacy

Nah they'll have better ilevels starting at 93. The stat differences may not be huge at that point, but they're still better.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

goblin week posted:

anyway further in EW: i tried doing the 89 trial with duty support and after half hour I gave up. God. That'd've been so cool to do but they kept dying like flies. Good one, though.

Fun fact, only one of the scions is programmed to do all of the mechanics correctly. Everyone else has at least one they’re scripted to mess up.

Now whether the ai actually accomplishes this stated purpose, that’s another matter. But programming-wise, that was the intent.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

You're overlooking the fact that some people level multiple jobs during MSQ and you only get one set of gear from quest rewards now. So people who don't buy poetics gear or already spent all their poetics have an incentive to buy gear.

Some of that gear will also be leve requests, so people powerleveling crafters may be buying them to save time on material hunting.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Buying your leve turn-ins is cowardice, I say, sending my retainer out for yet more almasty fur

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Healers seem like the weird exception that get easier in many ways as you get higher level, since you seemingly just keep getting extra buttons that pop off powerful (usually instant-cast) heals, while other jobs usually have to integrate their new buttons into rotations. AST seems like maybe it's more complex, but I get the impression both Scholar (my highest at 79 currently) and WHM (I think 67 or something) follow this pattern.

A lot of this is also because of abilities getting culled/consolidated for healers just like what happens for other jobs. While healing is much easier overall now than it used to be, you straight-up just have less buttons to push at lower levels than you used to as well

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

notwithoutmyanus posted:

yep, I've been playing drg in there while levelling every other job

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

goblin week posted:

anyway further in EW: i tried doing the 89 trial with duty support and after half hour I gave up. God. That'd've been so cool to do but they kept dying like flies. Good one, though.

What? I've run that 5+ times and never once had an NPC die.

It should be impossible for them to die unless you yourself kill them with overlapping mechs and I can't recall any of those in that trial offhand.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

HPanda posted:

Fun fact, only one of the scions is programmed to do all of the mechanics correctly. Everyone else has at least one they’re scripted to mess up.

It’s Y’shtola, of course.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Offkorn posted:

It should be impossible for them to die unless you yourself kill them with overlapping mechs and I can't recall any of those in that trial offhand.
One of the videos I saw during week 1 of Endwalker was two NPCs dying Alisaie got a stack marker and was standing with the group. She then inexplicably backflips out... to exactly where Y'shtola was doing Black Mage things.

edit: i can't find that video but there are many other people that have had backflip issues like this. Video tweet in link: http://twitter.com/frostwight/status/1468047850894462981

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 9, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wonder if there's something going on depending what role you play as, like if both healers are NPCs are the other NPCs less likely to die because Urianger can't be trusted to raise them or something?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Y'shtola should screw up all mechanics that involve markers because she's blind, she can't see them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Y'shtola should screw up all mechanics that involve markers because she's blind, she can't see them.

She's blind but she has aethersight which means she can actually see all of them perfectly.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Offkorn posted:

You can murder them pretty easily as tank, especially during the last phase if you move the boss as if the other 7 party members don't exist and go to the tiniest safe corner and they'll all die running through the bad after they finish dodging in the big safe corner.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yyyeah exactly. Specifically what got them every time was Heroes' Sundering which just straight up kills non-tanks. 🥲

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

goblin week posted:

Yyyeah exactly. Specifically what got them every time was Heroes' Sundering which just straight up kills non-tanks. 🥲

???

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
... 😥

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

That attack is a conal based tankbuster, so yeah, if it gets pointed at non-tanks they're going to bite it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

That attack is a conal based tankbuster, so yeah, if it gets pointed at non-tanks they're going to bite it.

Yeah if the Scions are dying to Heroes' Sundering somebody is pointing it at them, and Thancred doesn't do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there a good source for how to increase GC rank beyond a certain point (whatever I'm at now seems to be the cap from ranking up "normally")? This item that gives a random Stormblood or earlier mount seems handy. Currently I mainly just use my GC points on retainer coins.

A few years ago I remember doing some stuff where I kept sending my NPC squad guys on missions, but I never did the thing where you actually do an instance with them.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah if the Scions are dying to Heroes' Sundering somebody is pointing it at them, and Thancred doesn't do that.

"Amusingly" however if you go in as a tank it assumes you're going to Main Tank and he doesn't try to get aggro, even if you don't have stance on. This can lead to partymurder.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there a good source for how to increase GC rank beyond a certain point (whatever I'm at now seems to be the cap from ranking up "normally")? This item that gives a random Stormblood or earlier mount seems handy. Currently I mainly just use my GC points on retainer coins.

A few years ago I remember doing some stuff where I kept sending my NPC squad guys on missions, but I never did the thing where you actually do an instance with them.

You gotta do some instances.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Ytlaya posted:

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Grand_Company_Ranks this is for maelstrom but same will apply to all of them.

Key points are GC hunting log, completing flagged squadron missions (the ones where you send the team out and wait for them to report back) and completing a number of command missions where you actually roll with your squad.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

This item that gives a random Stormblood or earlier mount seems handy. Currently I mainly just use my GC points on retainer coins.

Others mentioned how to get rank but I'll add here that those boxes are pure gambling and you're more likely to get minions worth a few hundred gil than a mount.

If you care at all about relics would instead suggest dumping them all on the various Anima and Zodiac resources. Bombard Cores in particular are 20k each and you need 4 per weapon so it'll keep you spending for a long while.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ytlaya posted:

You have to do 5 missions with them for the rank up, and then another 5 to get the exercise emotes.

I would not recommend running Hardflox on any of those, they're terrible at the midboss where you have to AOE the bombs away.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Rynoto posted:

Others mentioned how to get rank but I'll add here that those boxes are pure gambling and you're more likely to get minions worth a few hundred gil than a mount.
The GC lockboxes help calm any gacha urges I may get in other games, at least. A reminder that my pulls are going to be garbage anyway. I have gotten a few good things out of the lockboxes: zu horn from the 3.0 boxes, Conditional Virtue and Flying Chair from the 4.0 boxes.

My island lockbox luck has been pretty good overall though. Between my two characters I've pulled five of the lockbox mounts and two of the ticket mounts.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Halatali is relatively quick as a command mission, at least as a healer. I ran that 10 or so times for the exercise emotes. There's some encounters you can skip, and the bosses don't punish the horrible AI too much.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 9, 2024

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ojjeorago posted:

You have to do 5 missions with them for the rank up, and then another 5 to get the exercise emotes.

I would not recommend running Hardflox on any of those, they're terrible at the midboss where you have to AOE the bombs away.

To save some headache, for the rank up you need to do 5 unique dungeons, so you can't just run the same one 10 times to get both rewards. You'll need to do 5 different dungeons for the rank, and then whatever you feel like to get the remaining 10 dungeon runs for the achievement that gives the emotes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

iPodschun posted:

The GC lockboxes help calm any gacha urges I may get in other games, at least. A reminder that my pulls are going to be garbage anyway. I have gotten a few good things out of the lockboxes: zu horn from the 3.0 boxes, Conditional Virtue and Flying Chair from the 4.0 boxes.

My island lockbox luck has been pretty good overall though. Between my two characters I've pulled five of the lockbox mounts and two of the ticket mounts.

I've managed to pick up the Zu and Flying Chair mounts, too. And at this point, other than the remaining mounts, I've only got a handful of Minions left, and most of them are the good ones, like Ugly Duckling, Wind-Up Tonberry, and Copycat Bulb.

Also, looking at my list of what I have vs what's left to get, I think I've managed to get a few of those minions from Ventures... gonna need to double check that...

I still haven't gotten around to starting Island Sanctuary yet...

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I got the Conditional Virtue and Copycat Bulb minions out of the GC lockboxes after keeping up with them for years, definitely worth the occasional seal dump

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A bit off topic, but the "raiding roguelike" Rabbit and Steel is out, for those that like the design of raid fights and want some more of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfcz9XtYVQ

Edit: :lmao: They're even doing a no-stakes World First Race for Lunar difficulty tomorrow.

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 9, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mainwaring posted:

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Grand_Company_Ranks this is for maelstrom but same will apply to all of them.

Key points are GC hunting log, completing flagged squadron missions (the ones where you send the team out and wait for them to report back) and completing a number of command missions where you actually roll with your squad.

Ah thanks. I guess I'm a "First Storm Lieutenant" currently, based on the listed cap.

The idea of doing 5 instances doesn't sound too bad. Is it maybe best for me to be healer for them?

Rynoto posted:

It doesn't ensure that you'll get one you don't already have? That's definitely a lot worse, then.

iPodschun posted:

I haven't even started the island stuff yet. Is it sorta like the equivalent of the Doma stuff from Stormblood or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Onean posted:

A bit off topic, but the "raiding roguelike" Rabbit and Steel is out, for those that like the design of raid fights and want some more of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfcz9XtYVQ

Edit: :lmao: They're even doing a no-stakes World First Race for Lunar difficulty tomorrow.

Amazing game. Loved the demo, highly recommend to anyone honestly.