Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nea posted:

anyone have suggestions for particularly representative and approachable matches, promos, ect?

Gonna throw in some promo options I haven't seen mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrdZY8xdCbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgyG68uEpVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjWPoQWdmjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3yO9vxXSE&t=100s

edit: looks like they're all blocked as embeds which makes this post really ugly!

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Need two Jake the Snake promos: the "let me touch her again" one and the "muck of avarice" one.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CopBfDlSHug

Can't forget this!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Need two Jake the Snake promos: the "let me touch her again" one and the "muck of avarice" one.

here you go, though the former appears to only be on YT in audio format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuo6In8d_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEI81DATt5A

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Nea posted:

anyone have suggestions for particularly representative and approachable matches, promos, ect?

https://youtu.be/MISUHTo2NDs?feature=shared

In all seriousness, many of the other promos posted already hit the target of “all-timer promos,” but to add a few more good’uns:

https://youtu.be/4XBbdh1HHKc?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/o4o1wgItPCE?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/2eVprN3STtA?feature=shared

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

man 'muck of avarice' is one i havent thought about in a while. thats a good pull

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jake was loving incredible. Everyone else was yelling and screaming and carrying on. Jake would look you in the eye, ask you to come closer, and then quietly let you know that he's smarter than you and willing to go further than you could ever imagine.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Muck of Avarice is crazy because it's a babyface promo for a very cartoony era of WWF and it still goes hard as gently caress.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What's your favorite non wrestling segments for shows? I have a soft spot in my heart for Babyface after being disgraced hunts down the heels or traps them in ridiculous traps. Like Stone Cold used to do and I think Kurt Angle did once or twice.

Someone taking off a shirt to reveal another shirt underneath to show they've joined a different group or faction.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Vandar posted:

Someone taking off a shirt to reveal another shirt underneath to show they've joined a different group or faction.

T-Shirt drama is definitely my answer as well

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vandar posted:

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Sting taking off a Sting mask to show that he's the real Sting

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Saucer Crab posted:

Iconic

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is there a thread for books about wrestling? I’d love to see a wrestling book recommendation thread but I went back a bit and did not see one.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I think most of us generally know that wwe announcing is super scripted and was a constant nightmare under Vince. Are there any stories what it was/is like to be on one of the foreign-language booths? Surely Vince himself wasn’t yelling in all those guys ears too. Was anyone producing those teams as closely? Was there a lot of effort put into making sure all of them were following the same script?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

0konner posted:

I think most of us generally know that wwe announcing is super scripted and was a constant nightmare under Vince. Are there any stories what it was/is like to be on one of the foreign-language booths? Surely Vince himself wasn’t yelling in all those guys ears too. Was anyone producing those teams as closely? Was there a lot of effort put into making sure all of them were following the same script?

They had sheets of what they couldn't say but a lot more freedom to kind of do whatever they wanted because WWE didn't pay as much attention.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Sounds like a sweet gig

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Anyone have any pet peeves from a particular wrestler that annoys you? I have noticed rewatching older shows that Bradshaw always starts getting up at about 2.75 into a pin when he wins a match. I notice it every time now and I can't believe he never got corrected by someone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Did I already ask in this thread if Marko Stunt has ever wrestled anyone smaller and worked big man style, because I feel like I did but I also think this is such a good idea I want to see it happen

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anyone have any pet peeves from a particular wrestler that annoys you? I have noticed rewatching older shows that Bradshaw always starts getting up at about 2.75 into a pin when he wins a match. I notice it every time now and I can't believe he never got corrected by someone.
I am not sure if this always happens and now I am doomed because I noticed it, but when Trent? backdropped Orange Cassidy over the barricade I noticed Orange Cassidy while running up was clearly just getting ready to jump over the barricade, rather than, you know, do anything to Trent? at all, and I imagine that is common

the FLYING NOTHING of outside attacks

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anyone have any pet peeves from a particular wrestler that annoys you?

Jeff Jarrett, when he does pro wrestling or speaks

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Jeff Jarrett in TNA drove me crazy with the lovely way he'd kick out, for a wrestler that is 90% fundamentals he gives it away by looking at the ref on kickouts alot.

in WWE, I started to get very sick of the formulae of the matches and at a certain point started calling spots before they'd happen before I quit entirely.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

wrestlers not putting their legs over the shoulders or arms when they do a sit down pin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oADfEju1gLI

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Dr. Quarex posted:

Did I already ask in this thread if Marko Stunt has ever wrestled anyone smaller and worked big man style, because I feel like I did but I also think this is such a good idea I want to see it happen

Riho does this when she drops by TJPW. She'll hoss it up like an rear end in a top hat and it's great

Her and Suzume getting into a forearm exchange that ends in Riho basically caving in her chest lives rent free in my head.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 9, 2024

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Dr. Quarex posted:

my understanding is that at least at some point last year MArko Stunt's gimmick was doing andre the giant moves at his size. which owns. not exactly that thing but close.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nea posted:

my understanding is that at least at some point last year MArko Stunt's gimmick was doing andre the giant moves at his size. which owns. not exactly that thing but close.

he was ripping off Andrew Everett unfortunately

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

ItohRespectArmy posted:

in WWE, I started to get very sick of the formulae of the matches and at a certain point started calling spots before they'd happen before I quit entirely.

[wrestler is tossed to the outside, followed by a tope suicida]

“and we’ll be right back! As Raw rolls on…”

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Max Caster every time he holds a mic

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What's your favorite non wrestling segments for shows? I have a soft spot in my heart for Babyface after being disgraced hunts down the heels or traps them in ridiculous traps. Like Stone Cold used to do and I think Kurt Angle did once or twice.

When a wrestler has to find a tag team partner and goes around to different guys to ask them to partner up

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Saucer Crab posted:

In the same vein Liger having is mask ripped/removed only to reveal Kishin Liger

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It's not his fault but for a long time they would keep Kane's ring pyro for post-match victory taunts, so if they did his pyro before a match you could be relatively confident he was losing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Quarex posted:

the FLYING NOTHING of outside attacks

It’s this, even really good wrestlers sometimes do really blatant nothings (looking at u Fenix)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

My wrestling pet peeve is when wrestlers clearly screw up a spot and then reset and just do the spot/sequence over again. You hosed up, it sucks, I’m sure the spot would have been really cool, but you gotta let it go. Re-doing the spot takes me out of the match every time

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Less on the wrestlers than on the announcers, but I can't stand announcers yelling WE MIGHT HAVE AN UPSET HERE as 100% of the time it gives away whoever they were talking about isn't winning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sandman from ECW posted:

My wrestling pet peeve is when wrestlers clearly screw up a spot and then reset and just do the spot/sequence over again. You hosed up, it sucks, I’m sure the spot would have been really cool, but you gotta let it go. Re-doing the spot takes me out of the match every time

Yes, the correct thing to do is what someone like Arn Anderson would do. You hosed up a spot? Your opponent punches you in the face. Make you can try again in a minute or two but for now, eat a fist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, the correct thing to do is what someone like Arn Anderson would do. You hosed up a spot? Your opponent punches you in the face. Make you can try again in a minute or two but for now, eat a fist.

I saw an old squash the other day on (Not That) Tom Green's show where a guy messed up taking Big Bubba's Boss Man Slam and that's basically what he did and the second time it worked and Tony and Bobby played it off like "Bubba really wants to hurt the guy."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I dont really have an annoyance with wrestling in ring, however; wwe and aew need to fire who ever is in charge of their camera work. I swear indies are generally better produced by virtue of them having only two cameras.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't like it when wrestlers only do a move so it can be countered. If someone's going to bend over for a back body drop so they can be kicked in the face or DDT'd or whatever, they gotta at least sometimes do the actual move.

titties posted:

Jeff Jarrett, when he does pro wrestling or speaks
gently caress you for reminding me that he exists.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 9, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like it when wrestlers only do a move so it can be countered. If someone's going to bend over for a back body drop so they can be kicked in the face or DDT'd or whatever, they gotta at least sometimes do the actual move.

It's even worse when a wrestler's signature move involves mind controlling their opponent to do a move that isn't in their moveset just so it can be countered like the old Kidman powerbomb reversal or Owen Hart enziguri.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

It's even worse when a wrestler's signature move involves mind controlling their opponent to do a move that isn't in their moveset just so it can be countered like the old Kidman powerbomb reversal or Owen Hart enziguri.

I used to also be on this side, and then I started grappling and let me tell you a story. I do not throw triangle chokes at people, I suck at them, I'm good enough to demonstrate the move, but I will not finish one on anyone half way decent, and it is not by any means in my regular moveset. There's a black belt at my gym, who without fail will mind control me into attempting to triangle him at least once in the roll, and I will be hard countered and I will vow to never do it again. It's me, I'm the idiot who powerbombs billy kidman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was the hard counter a powerbomb?