Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

James Cameron would also have to stop making movies with how many times he's been through it

which I am all for

he's more divorce than man, now

If he stayed married to Kathryn Ann Bigelow maybe she could of stayed normal and not make a girl boss torture movie.

Edit:I forgot she also made hurt locker lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

insane clown pussy posted:

i guess it's a scam if you're expecting an entertaining movie

hubie halloween is happy gilmore tier

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Hmm, no. Little nazi guy with his coat hanger was the best Indiana Jones villain

My favorite thing about Raiders is that its completely unnecessary for Jones to be in the movie. His actions have no real effect on the final outcome. Its great and I love it. More movies need superfluous heroes.

little nazi guy never pulled a beating heart out of a chest

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

little nazi guy never pulled a beating heart out of a chest

Clown Mola Ram has to pull out a heart to be intimidating. Little nazi guy put his coat on a hanger.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

we can also admit that by their nature, the Indiana Jones movies are racist and sexist
the 1st and 3rd not necessarily in a hateful/spiteful way, just kinda in a "it was the times" sorta sense

but Temple feels bad, substantially more than the others to modern eyes... specifically I think George Lucas even admits he hated women at the time of making it.
there's just not a lot of love in anything in it

But actually I forgot about the "Anything Goes" opening and that rocks too
the movie needed more of that

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I enjoyed Hubie Halloween

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Finally saw Dune 2, loving incredible movie

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Shageletic posted:

What you people got wrong is that it isn't about avoiding movies made by divorced people, it's about people embodying being divorced. You could never have gotten married or is actually still married and still direct divorced-ly. Exhibit 1: The Wickerman. A movie that ends with Nick Cage punching a series of women before being trapped and eaten by bees. Spoilers for the horrible movie The Wickerman.

I'd say that any Shane Black movie is extremely divorced.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

we can also admit that by their nature, the Indiana Jones movies are racist and sexist
the 1st and 3rd not necessarily in a hateful/spiteful way, just kinda in a "it was the times" sorta sense

but Temple feels bad, substantially more than the others to modern eyes... specifically I think George Lucas even admits he hated women at the time of making it.
there's just not a lot of love in anything in it

But actually I forgot about the "Anything Goes" opening and that rocks too
the movie needed more of that

Is there anything really sexist about Willie besides for how much she screams? I recall really liking the character, she was funny and her viewing Indy as a charmless brute led to fun moments. To the best of my memory she's my favorite character in the series.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

George Lucas even admits he hated women at the time of making it.

he probably had a bad date

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

he probably had a bad date

I thought that was when him and Steve were going through divorces.

Edit: oh I just got it

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

CaptainBeefart posted:

I enjoyed Hubie Halloween

does he frantically pet a jack o lantern and start talking in his baby voice about how much he loves his best friend the pumpkin only to suddenly fly into a fit of rage and punch his hands through it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've said it before itt but the opening sequence of temple of doom is the greatest sequence in the whole franchise

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Given the divorce discussion I missed last page I'd like to add an amendment that divorced people can get a pass if they get remarried or if they can prove they and their ex are on good terms

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Temple of Doom isn't ALL bad, it's just Willie and the monkey brains scene that suck but they're pretty bad

e: but having gotten even more caught up if it violates my divorce statute I disavow

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

I've said it before itt but the opening sequence of temple of doom is the greatest sequence in the whole franchise

A bold take, how many iconic boulder traps does it have?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

A bold take, how many iconic boulder traps does it have?

one (it's a gong)

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Watched Godzilla minus one

It ruled, u get to see a ijn Warboat broadside Godzilla it was extremely cool

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
watching mad max 2 now. very 1980s blockbuster sequel. looks great compared with the poo poo we're shoveled now. starts with a big cokey 80s pop song which was pretty offputting. too much talking. his wig in this first part is incredible

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
imo the best Indiana jones sequence is the tank chase/fight imo

I think raiders is just barely the best one; last crusade is close but a little too self indulgent where raiders plays it a bit more straight

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fighting Elegy posted:

Is there anything really sexist about Willie besides for how much she screams? I recall really liking the character, she was funny and her viewing Indy as a charmless brute led to fun moments. To the best of my memory she's my favorite character in the series.
people claim that she's sexist, because they hate her, and convince themselves that it's because she's anti-feminist - rather than because they only accept a very specific type of women

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the milk machine posted:

last crusade is close but a little too self indulgent where raiders plays it a bit more straight

that's why it's the best one, plus it has connery who really was truly GOAT. i like last crusade the most, no contest

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The hosed up thing is that we live in a world without husband gal directors

also husband guy directors and wife gal directors

This goon publically admitting they've never seen any Fassbinder shaking my drat head

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Open Source Idiom posted:

This goon publically admitting they've never seen any Fassbinder shaking my drat head
Firstly, the dude is dead.

Secondly, gay marriage was only legalized 35 years after his death, so he couldn't be a husband guy director

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
thirdly, fassbinder sucks

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Nah his movies have a unique depressing vibe I haven't experienced anywhere else. Also weird humoristic elements that pop up out of nowhere.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

A Buttery Pastry posted:

people claim that she's sexist, because they hate her, and convince themselves that it's because she's anti-feminist - rather than because they only accept a very specific type of women

i always thought the main criticism of the character was her being completely extraneous to the plot, like it's a bit part that got second billing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Hmm, no. Little nazi guy with his coat hanger was the best Indiana Jones villain

My favorite thing about Raiders is that its completely unnecessary for Jones to be in the movie. His actions have no real effect on the final outcome. Its great and I love it. More movies need superfluous heroes.

Isn't that the same woth the latest Indiana Jones movie?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'd say that any Shane Black movie is extremely divorced.

Unfortunately, you're right lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
UNfortunately??

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Missed the Edgar Wright chat a few pages back, but watching Spaced still feels like a magical show to watch and makes me feel nostalgic for my twenties even though I'm an elder millennial and not a late 20-something gen x-er. Also glad I have it on DVD so I could get closure about the ending of the series, and also Patton Oswalt's commentary tracks where he spends half of it fawning over Daisy.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mars express is the best movie of 2024 sorry dunc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shageletic posted:

Isn't that the same woth the latest Indiana Jones movie?

I don't know, the whole movie was completely unnecessary so I skipped it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Here's the thing about Willie in temple of doom: she acts like a totally normal person. Ppl be getting mad at her for whining about sticking her hand in a pile of centipedes and thinking eating monkey brains is gross. "Nuh uh I woulda totally stuck my hand in the bug box" get real!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

Justin Tyme posted:

Here's the thing about Willie in temple of doom: she acts like a totally normal person. Ppl be getting mad at her for whining about sticking her hand in a pile of centipedes and thinking eating monkey brains is gross. "Nuh uh I woulda totally stuck my hand in the bug box" get real!

I know "shrill" is not a cool word to say, but Willie spends way too much time screaming at a really high, grating register. It makes the character hard to watch.

I'm not watching Indiana Jones for realism.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Willie is annoying, sorry feminists :smug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

this loving bitch started whining when i had us jump out of a crashing plane and then raft-ski down the entirety of the himilayas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i initiated a gunfight via the black market antiquities trade in a restaurant and this dancer started losing her drat mind

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

this loving bitch started whining when i had us jump out of a crashing plane and then raft-ski down the entirety of the himilayas

"Notice how the little Cantonese boy stayed calm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

What if she just said 'holy poo poo!' once?