Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Failboattootoot posted:

Somebody give me the easiest way to deal with flans in SoP.

The same way you deal with everything in the game: big axe, Ground Pound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Somebody give me the easiest way to deal with flans in SoP.

Real Answer: Any magic job or Thief.

Fun Answer: Chain-break them by breaking everything else around them with a bigass beatstick.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Late to this but: Job systems, please. Love V, Tactics, SoP, FFX-2, etc. If I can combine skills within constraints ala V, all the better. I like being able to style on these games with powerful combos, and job systems lend themselves to that.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Can anyone point me to that copypasta about that dude who was so distraught over losing Aeris they forgot to equip materia and such?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Really cruel imo to have a boss, at the end of the dungeon with no save point, cast its strongest spell on death. Over an hour of climbing the cultist tower wasted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Really cruel imo to have a boss, at the end of the dungeon with no save point, cast its strongest spell on death. Over an hour of climbing the cultist tower wasted.

That one's a classic dick move. Got me once as a kid and now I never go in there without Reraise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

The trick is to get Mog, equip Mog Charm, and then just walk up the tower with 0 fights.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Magimaster is just not cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you're playing the Pixel Remaster you can also just turn off encounters in the menu IIRC

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm playing the SNES vesion. Guess I gotta go get Locke and Phoenix.

ImpAtom posted:

The trick is to get Mog, equip Mog Charm, and then just walk up the tower with 0 fights.

drat I wish I knew about this ages ago

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Another option is to spam Rasp/Osmose until he's out of MP, though IIRC that takes a long time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rasp is such a cool name for a spell

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

sirtommygunn posted:

Up until you mentioned the cultist tower I was sure you were talking about Cloud of Darkness.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I still respect any boss, let alone a final boss, that decides to simply spam their most powerful attack repeatedly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's sick when it's a thematic part of the fight, like Nighogg spamming Ahk Morn at you in FF14 desperately trying to burn you down

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That furious Akh Morn spam gets me hype every time

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mega64 posted:

I still respect any boss, let alone a final boss, that decides to simply spam their most powerful attack repeatedly.

Neo-Exdeath in FF14: "gently caress the power of the Void, catch these fists"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Nintendo Power FF6 guide warned me of the cultists tower and to get phoenix beforehand, and cast berserk on him so he stops casting barrier change. Also I just gave everyone reflect rings which made any other fights mostly trivial.

Edit: and yeah I'm taking Mog up there, gently caress walking up that tower with random battles.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I've used Mog to bypass cultist tower fights for decades but went through it recently to fill out the pixel remaster bestiary.

You get a lot of magic points from the fights which is good because learning meteor and x-zone (banish?) speed up the fights considerably. Reflect rings are safe but drag on for ages when each enemy is countering with spells. Berserk on Locke or Setzer can be fun but magic evade works against you there.

By the time I made it back down, my party of 4 had no more magic left to learn.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Game looks incredible already. It’s very funny that I went t from 16 > 7Rebirth I thought “drat 16 looked better” and now that I went back to start the dlc I somehow feel like 7 looked better

They’re both beautiful games

FF16's performance leaves a lot to be desired, though. Rebirth makes some heavy visual sacrifices for performance mode, but it at least runs quite well and seems to more or less stick to 60fps both in and out of combat. FF16 gets pretty stuttery during non-combat gameplay. I think Rebirth looks/runs much better overall, even with the blurriness from performance mode (which really isn't that bad if you're far enough away from a display that isn't too big). Which is a bit surprising given how Rebirth has something approaching a genuine open-world, vs FF16's more limited zones.

It's certainly tolerable and I got used to it just fine, but I figure I may as well save some new content for when I get to play the game again at some point.

(a lot of this is because I'm basically forced into using the performance mode in both games due to 30fps being intolerable on OLED displays for any sort of game with a controllable camera - it legitimately gives me a feeling of motion sickness from the judder and it's basically impossible to make out any environmental detail while the camera is being panned)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For me, FF16 wouldve been the perfect game if they got rid of open zones entirely, focused on the linear dungeons instead and added Arcade Mode rank system to main story. And you could use points to purchase / upgrade stuff in your base.

That wouldve helped with the performance too. The game runs imo almost perfectly in Arcade mode.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

sirtommygunn posted:

Welcome to real gaming, back before the casuals ruined everything, get good or get out

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I got Locke and all the optional characters so I guess all that's left to do is cultist tower, Kefka's tower, hunt the last few dragons, and kill Doom Gaze if it ever shows up again.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
there's one important item you can only get with Locke, I believe in Narshe, so you might want to swing that way.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I knew about that but forgot, thanks

Mega64
May 23, 2008

YggiDee posted:

there's one important item you can only get with Locke, I believe in Narshe, so you might want to swing that way.

Two, actually. The Cursed Shield and the Ragnarok sword/esper.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Theatrhythm is on sale on the PS store so I have purchased Theatrhythm

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:yeah:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Theatrhythm is on sale on the PS store so I have purchased Theatrhythm

Hell yeah.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Why are the random encounters so much more threatening than the bosses in Kefka's Tower? Dragons or unholy abominations? Easy, I exit these fights with more health and mp than I had going in. 2 random unimportant ninjas? Annihilated.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

No Dignity posted:

It's sick when it's a thematic part of the fight, like Nighogg spamming Ahk Morn at you in FF14 desperately trying to burn you down

3.3 is top tier FF

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sirtommygunn posted:

Why are the random encounters so much more threatening than the bosses in Kefka's Tower? Dragons or unholy abominations? Easy, I exit these fights with more health and mp than I had going in. 2 random unimportant ninjas? Annihilated.
Because you can avoid them. The last dungeon in the earlier games were slogs. FFV was ok to get through. If you didn't use shields to build stats in FF2, randoms did 4000+ damage.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Snow Cone Capone posted:

it makes me think of being licked by a kitty. just slurping the magic right out of you.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I killed that bastard Kefka! Very cool set of final bosses. Great ending.

I've only really been complaining/asking for advice in this thread but obviously there's a lot I like that made me stick with it through to the end. I liked the first half of the game with some small exceptions like navigating the river or the rail section. I don't like open world stuff so I was actually a little disappointed when the game world opened up so much in the second half. I just hate it so much when a game tells me to go anywhere I want and then smacks me down when I pick an interesting place to go to because I'm not high enough level. But once I got passed the initial frustration and found the intended places to go it was pretty fun.

Cyan and Celes were my favorite party members. Kefka is the best at being the worst. Best dungeon is the Ghost Train but I also really liked the multi-party dungeons outside of the logistical problems they create.

I've only played a few FF games but here's my list so far: 14 > 6 >> 1 > 7R >> 7

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 9, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

I killed that bastard Kefka! Very cool set of final bosses. Great ending.

I've only really been complaining/asking for advice in this thread but obviously there's a lot I like that made me stick with it through to the end. I liked the first half of the game with some small exceptions like navigating the river or the rail section. I don't like open world stuff so I was actually a little disappointed when the game world opened up so much in the second half. I just hate it so much when a game tells me to go anywhere I want and then smacks me down when I pick an interesting place to go to because I'm not high enough level. But once I got passed the initial frustration and found the intended places to go it was pretty fun.

Cyan and Celes were my favorite party members. Kefka is the best at being the worst. Best dungeon is the Ghost Train but I also really liked the multi-party dungeons outside of the logistical problems they create.

I've only played a few FF games but here's my list so far: 14 > 6 >> 1 > 7R >> 7

Cyan and Celes were also my favorite characters in VI.

Out of curiosity, why is VII at the bottom? What did you prefer about VI to VII?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'll admit a part of it is that I played the steam version of 7 which decided to map minigame controls onto a completely insane set of keys and wasn't able to tell me what buttons things were mapped to on the controller I was using. Condor Mountain also bugged out on me and simply wouldn't start whenever I tried it. But mainly it's that I completely lost track of what was happening after leaving Midgar. I made it to the snowboarding section before giving up but between Midgar and then I cannot tell you why anything happened or even in what order they occurred. I know that's mostly on me but FF7 wasn't doing a lot to connect the story together for me. Because of this I just couldn't get invested.

FF6 keeps you on the rails for a little longer, and when the world does open up it's still a pretty small place. There are also very few times when you have more than 1 place to go to and don't have the insanely fast, (mostly) random encounter free, airship. If I'm not sure where to go in 6 I just zip from one point to another until I find something new with a very low risk of random encounters. There were a lot of times I was lost in FF7 where I had to wander on foot or with the rover and that adds a lot of time to randomly guessing where I need to be.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love VII but I can’t disagree with this. I’ve beaten it 3 or 4 times, and I can’t remember a lot of detail on what happens after Midgar. It’s such an iconic setting, and pretty different from anything I’d seen before in a FF, that it’s kind of mesmerizing. After that, the settings sort of get a little more generic to me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FF7 makes more sense if you think of it as being written like the key & peele gremlins 2 sketch. Just a loose sequence of weird ideas that nobody was allowed to say no to

I'm not sure the remake ties it together any better but I like that it generally preserved the "what the hell is happening right now" energy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean a lot of it is that FF7's original localization is garbage and it's hard to keep track of anything happening and why but the rest is that the game just kind of expects you to accept like, like the SNES FFs, you're just going to be wandering around a lot to the next available place so take it on faith that you're supposed to be there (something Rebirth tightens up a bit with better justifications for traveling to the next location)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am moving and I don't want to move heavy things with me but I want them to go to good homes - does anyone want volumes 1/2/3 of the Ultimanias? covers I to XIV in total. Yours for the cost of shipping, PM me.

as for actually on-topic posting, I sat down and thought about just how many XI models were reused for XIV today and they actually did end up getting their money's worth out of those artists that's for sure