Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have a big announcement for Piccolo Day too: Dragon Ball Heroes is dead. After 14 years, it's getting shut off and replaced with a new arcade card game, Dragon Ball Super Divers, which will only be compatible with SDBH cards in a specific mode.

14 years is a long time, it's a bit of an end of an era for the franchise. SDBH storylines may be terrible but it did give us a lot of cool what-if forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

We have a big announcement for Piccolo Day too: Dragon Ball Heroes is dead. After 14 years, it's getting shut off and replaced with a new arcade card game, Dragon Ball Super Divers, which will only be compatible with SDBH cards in a specific mode.

14 years is a long time, it's a bit of an end of an era for the franchise. SDBH storylines may be terrible but it did give us a lot of cool what-if forms.

Are they still going to be making anime shorts to promote the new game as well or is that project dead too (no big loss if so honestly)?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
they should give everyone super saiyan 4 before they go

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I would love to see Super Saiyan 4 Krillin and Piccolo, yeah.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

hell why not give krillin some kind of transformation it’s fiction let humans have a cool thing

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

holefoods posted:

hell why not give krillin some kind of transformation it’s fiction let humans have a cool thing

Krillin had a transformation he grew hair and transformed into a dad with a hot wife.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

holefoods posted:

It's actually kind of funny how DB (at least from Z onward) specifically excludes humans from having special talents, while I think most other prominent alien races have some sort of special power thing going on (Saiyans, Namekians, Frieza-race, even stuff like the Granolah's race with the eyes).

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

gently caress, that's legit sad to me. Heroes was the dumbest, most fun poo poo to hear about, and now it's going to be gone.

Hopefully Super Divers will be just as insane.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It's actually kind of funny how DB (at least from Z onward) specifically excludes humans from having special talents, while I think most other prominent alien races have some sort of special power thing going on (Saiyans, Namekians, Frieza-race, even stuff like the Granolah's race with the eyes).

Humans are the best at Food (also they have the best ki control and manipulation around I guess)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Also the ancient art of... baseball.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

holefoods posted:

Clearly it's time for Roshi to teach him how to do that Maximum Power thing he does

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

krillin with identical proportions except he has arms like tree trunks

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
transformations are old news, get that poo poo outta here grandpa

Krillin will master Ultra Alopecia, a state of head shininess that causes passive solar flares

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

No Dignity posted:

Humans are the best at Food (also they have the best ki control and manipulation around I guess)

They also have the smartest people in existence in that they produced someone who built a time machine that duplicated god and created the indisputable champion of a battle royale for the multiverse.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

transformations are old news, get that poo poo outta here grandpa

Krillin will master Ultra Alopecia, a state of head shininess that causes passive solar flares

krillin could never master baldness cause his hairline is perfectly fine, he just shaves.

tien though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

They also have the smartest people in existence in that they produced someone who built a time machine that duplicated god and created the indisputable champion of a battle royale for the multiverse.

That's true, the Androids can be chalked up to humans. But it's still funny how pervasive "species bonuses" are across the other humanoid species.

Even Melone, Frieza's cook, is greatly empowered by eating some Namekian fruit (this is canon)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

holefoods posted:

he got one when he went to roshi's weed patch but it wasn't really expanded upon or brought up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1zzH7PJSU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Mondo Krillin is such a layup of a transformation name.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

“Yeah, that’s right boys… ‘mondo cool’,” mocks Vegeta as he secretly worries Krillin is just one step away from discovering the legendary human transformation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Awesomesaurus posted:

“Yeah, that’s right boys… ‘mondo cool’,” mocks Vegeta as he secretly worries Krillin is just one step away from discovering the legendary human transformation.

already been discovered, it's Beast

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

already been discovered, it's Beast

According to Toriyama, Beast is something only Gohan could achieve. According to Xenoverse 2, every race could obtain Beast. Everything indicates it's not human-exclusive, although the latter says humans could get it.

I'm not sure how that'd work for Krillin though, I guess he'd get the red eyes (which would look interesting in him) and no hair.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beast definitely does feel like a continuation of Gohan's Z-era special sauce, I think it makes sense to keep it as his unique thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gohan isn’t entirely human either but yeah, if you follow Xenoverse 2 logic Krillin could potentially achieve it as well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption is that, games aside, Beast is something unique to Gohan that is just a part of who he is, like how Kale and the Brolys are Legendary Super Saiyans instead of standard grade ones.

(Or, honestly, Super Saiyan just is something that ends up mutating into other stuff once you train it enough, which is why every existing Saiyan except Babby Trunks and Goten have their own unique Super Saiyan stuff.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Gohan Blanco meme accurately read the vibes on Gohan's powerups and realised one day he would absolutely have a super-ultimate pure white form, because of course he would

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 10, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, does Gohan have more powerups than his dad at this point?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

not by a long shot

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

not by a long shot

Yeah it ain't close. The SSG+ stuff really stretched Goku and Vegeta to have a volume of forms no one else is really close to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Not in a billion years.

Goku has, not including the Super Saiyan Sidegrades:
Oozaru
Kaioken (and its multipliers)
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan 2
Super Saiyan 3
Super Saiyan God
Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Kaioken (and its multipliers)
Ultra Instinct -Omen-
Ultra Instinct

And then you go into the Debatably Canon parts like Super Saiyan 4/Golden Oozaru or all the poo poo from the manga.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I know the games and cards (and even the main story to an extent) treat Kaioken and Ultra Instinct like transformations, but they’re really just techniques that anyone could learn.

Obviously it’s not too plausible for most to learn Ultra Instinct, but Kaioken shouldn’t be unreachable for most of the fighting cast at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I know the games and cards (and even the main story to an extent) treat Kaioken and Ultra Instinct like transformations, but they’re really just techniques that anyone could learn.

Obviously it’s not too plausible for most to learn Ultra Instinct, but Kaioken shouldn’t be unreachable for most of the fighting cast at this point.

I can see maybe Kaioken but Ultra Instinct makes your hair change colors, that poo poo is a transformation.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ImpAtom posted:

I can see maybe Kaioken but Ultra Instinct makes your hair change colors, that poo poo is a transformation.

Yeah, it’s a bit of both as Whis describes in the manga. Goku treats it like a transformation (probably because he’s just so used to that,) but in principle it should just be fighting the way the angels do. Allowing your body to move without thought, etc. It was kind of what he started doing in the Granola arc, I believe. Using it without the silver hair stuff. But it’s been a while since I read all of that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

this is what i've disliked about how ultra instinct is presented. is it a technique goku has been trained in, or is it a transformation that's wrapped up in super saiyan stuff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I mean I 100% agree. Omen is way cooler than actual Ultra Instinct.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vegeta would never sell out like this, this is character assassination

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Vegeta would sign whatever merchandising contract Bulma told him to.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this is what i've disliked about how ultra instinct is presented. is it a technique goku has been trained in, or is it a transformation that's wrapped up in super saiyan stuff

According to Whis, it's a technique he's been trained in, but Saiyans inherently and instinctively process power ups like that in terms of transformations. Which works, but the stress and power needs of the transformation limit its potential. Whis wants Goku to reach the point he DOESN'T need to transform to access that power and skill.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the retconning that how goku does UI isn't real despite all the angels and gods standing up in awe after he transforms is just dumb

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kild posted:

the retconning that how goku does UI isn't real despite all the angels and gods standing up in awe after he transforms is just dumb

I think it's more that Goku started only thinking of it as a transformation, and Whis is trying to disabuse him of that notion so he can continue to truly progress towards mastery, and not just use it as a power up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I just choose to ignore anything the manga has done with regards to that. (And I suppose it's irrelevant to everything but like maybe Daima since we're not getting anything new from Toriyama again.)