Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm not disagreeing with you, honestly i find this line of argument compelling, but what language would you prefer instead?

GNU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm not disagreeing with you, honestly i find this line of argument compelling, but what language would you prefer instead?

Not English

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
seriously though let's play this out, can you pick one? i feel like the only realistic candidates are spanish and chinese, possibly hindi?

Apr 7, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

seriously though let's play this out, can you pick one? i feel like the only realistic candidates are spanish and chinese, possibly hindi?

Not English

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you said this wasn't silly tori poo poo so uh sorry for engaging with your post i guess?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Something entirely new, it's only fair if everyone has to start from scratch

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

English 2

Apr 7, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you said this wasn't silly tori poo poo so uh sorry for engaging with your post i guess?

Literally anything but English, I thought that was clear. Engilsh is uniquely terrible.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ah ok, why do you think that then? is english hosed up because of the people who happen to speak it, and those people suck, so they make it terrible? or something linguistically about english itself, independent of english speakers?

e: please don't read this as hostile, i actually kinda subconsciously agree with you, and i'm hoping you have a better take on it than i do

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

English is annoying, but very few other languages have 8 different words to describe the same thing in differing ways

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in Norwegian and German you just say “I have to poop” instead of “I need to poo poo my brains out”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the english language is not an anti-woke mind virus, tori. that's an idiotic idea.

my best guess is you're very much doing a tori thing and you're gonna soon disingenuously say that by "english languge" you meant "english imperialism and western capitalist culture" all along etc.

but if you really think there's something inherently destructive about the language that wouldn't have happened if history played out exactly the same except that people from england all spoke danish or arabic or quechua, i'll listen

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i thought most of the "english" were actually germans

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I am not doing silly tori poo poo here btw - the English language is an active detriment to the human race. I mean that sincerely.

lmao

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

in Norwegian and German you just say “I have to poop” instead of “I need to poo poo my brains out”

exactly. English is the language of poery.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we have a couple of german people on our project and one thing i've noticed is they curse a lot more than you'd expect someone to in a professional setting

maybe it's because they don't have those freedoms in their own language, they want to indulge in our expressive english profanity any chance they get

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ADINSX posted:

we have a couple of german people on our project and one thing i've noticed is they curse a lot more than you'd expect someone to in a professional setting

maybe it's because they don't have those freedoms in their own language, they want to indulge in our expressive english profanity any chance they get

its because they have basic worker protections and aren't afraid of angering management with their naughty words

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

its because they have basic worker protections and aren't afraid of angering management with their naughty words

nah cussing is just that much better in english

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it’s because they’re terrified of their german management and take the rare opportunity to blow off some steam when working with the americans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Roosevelt posted:

yep. this borges bit is the best explanation of why english is the most poeric language imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYoqCDKoT4

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

it’s because they’re terrified of their german management and take the rare opportunity to blow off some steam when working with the americans

lol if you’re afraid of your boss

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol if you’re afraid of your boss

in east germany they could complain about their boss but not their government. after reunification they could complain about their government but not their boss. or however that line goes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm personally not sure on whether we need to get rid of english but the language is WAY overdue for a reform. spelling is insane. people have literal debates on "how is X pronounced" because they can't just deduce it from the way it's written. i've literally had an easier time conveying how to pronounce words in english by writing them down in cyrilic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goblin week posted:

i'm personally not sure on whether we need to get rid of english but the language is WAY overdue for a reform. spelling is insane. people have literal debates on "how is X pronounced" because they can't just deduce it from the way it's written. i've literally had an easier time conveying how to pronounce words in english by writing them down in cyrilic

thats part of the beauty of english. do you hate wordplay?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

The Quebecois swear pretty good too

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Roosevelt posted:

cussing is worthless in english as well. you guys have like two swear words, and while yes, the versatility of "gently caress" is cool it just legitimately makes me feel like my feelings cannot be accurately conveyed

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

goblin week posted:

cussing is worthless in english as well. you guys have like two swear words, and while yes, the versatility of "gently caress" is cool it just legitimately makes me feel like my feelings cannot be accurately conveyed

how do you say "cocksucker" in idk german?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Roosevelt posted:

Rösevelt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

Hahnsaugnapf

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Schwanzlutscher!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

PokeJoe posted:

Rösevelt

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Rösevelt

:drat:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

my current landlord, who in the last 3 months literally-and i mean literally- chainsawed the back door apart on the house next door to encourage transients so they could try getting a blight declaration - wants me to give a 60 day moveout notice. to which i lol and lmao.

my friends old apartment wanted 8 months which made it real hard for her to figure out somewhere else to move since no where else in the city (or, like, anywhere) will let you have an 8 month lead time to move in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

lmao

idk if you meant "poetry" but i would think "pooery" would have 2 o's

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PokeJoe posted:

Rösevelt

pöery

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Roosevelt posted:

Also makes you uniquely equipped to speak a lot and never say what you mean. Not that it's impossible to construct untrue statements (or bullshit, as in the Harry Frankfurt definition) in other languages, but English is on another level when it comes to capacity for polite dishonesty

Beeftweeter posted:

idk if you meant "poetry" but i would think "pooery" would have 2 o's
The New Yorker style guide agrees on poöery

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Ruffian Price posted:

Also makes you uniquely equipped to speak a lot and never say what you mean. Not that it's impossible to construct untrue statements (or bullshit, as in the Harry Frankfurt definition) in other languages, but English is on another level when it comes to capacity for polite dishonesty

The New Yorker style guide agrees on poöery

i thought the new yorker usually uses a single letter with an umlaut but idk i need caffeine

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

quote:

Are Tim Hortons' new lids 'woke'? One Conservative MP thinks so

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-mp-tim-hortons-fibre-lids-1.7199306

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here's why English sucks: you can change a words meaning by just using it. in fact if you use it wrong enough you become right.

woke, literally, etc

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

getting the answer right in English is a fake idea so it leads to being dumb as dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't know anything about how this works in other languages because as an English speaker I too am dumb as dogshit