Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zeruel posted:

senshi's fat loving nuts

WHOA HEY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I am ready for more of this ninja bitch

Lets GO

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's why Outros are better

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
This episode was really sweet and I'm gonna have to frame through for some of that background art.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

from the preview i thought the curse was Maizuru or put there by her

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The_Doctor posted:

Anime companies are always divvying out work to others. That one street in Tokyo with all the production houses on it has runners constantly in and out of each others’ offices getting episodes ready for broadcast.

What one street in Tokyo? I'll have to visit there next time I head to Japan.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

from the preview i thought the curse was Maizuru or put there by her

Based on the episode, I do believe it was implied that she did cast the curse on her neck to keep Izutsumi in check. The caster, the person who had to touch the curse to prevent it from triggering, had to be a someone she was travelling with and only Maizuru fits the bill.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it was clear she never liked her. Hell none of the party seemed concerned she was gone

only thing is

Maizuru made such a stink about black magic she'd be a hypocrite

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

only thing is

Maizuru made such a stink about black magic she'd be a hypocrite

the collar spell isn't black magic, just maizuru's own creation. izutsumi's body is the presumed black magic, and she doesn't know who did it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

the collar spell isn't black magic, just maizuru's own creation. izutsumi's body is the presumed black magic, and she doesn't know who did it.

yeah Glyph of Warding is a pretty standard spell, but you can up cast it to make it harder to dispel

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Chapters for today

Fun fact for todays episode!

Laois mentions that nightmares are called Shen and are dragons.
this is kinda a joke about How Shen dragons are supposed to make illusions and nightmares in Chinese myth. but the kanji for shen also looks like the one for "Big Shellfish"

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 9, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked how Marcille seemed to shift between her young self and current self inside her dream.

And Izutsumi seems fun especially if she butts heads with Senshi over table manners. I'm calling her Izutsumi from now on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It was cool seeing how this played out. Someone I know (who is a massive fan of the manga) gave me the details about Marcille's motivations and fears a while back, and I'd been interested to see how they'd come out in the narrative. It felt a bit weird that the episode was structured a little like a double feature with half of the plot given to Izutsumi and the other half to Marcille, but I'm also not familiar with the manga so maybe that's just how it goes?

I think the most fun was watching Laios 'problem solve.' And his recurring dog motif. "Oh is he going to manifest a shov...el... no, of course not. It's Laios."

Zeruel posted:

senshi cries over spilled milk

Cheesy rice with mushrooms, actually.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Warmachine posted:

It felt a bit weird that the episode was structured a little like a double feature with half of the plot given to Izutsumi and the other half to Marcille, but I'm also not familiar with the manga so maybe that's just how it goes?

Most episodes are adapting two chapters, so yeah it's two completely different stories this time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Warmachine posted:

It was cool seeing how this played out. Someone I know (who is a massive fan of the manga) gave me the details about Marcille's motivations and fears a while back, and I'd been interested to see how they'd come out in the narrative. It felt a bit weird that the episode was structured a little like a double feature with half of the plot given to Izutsumi and the other half to Marcille, but I'm also not familiar with the manga so maybe that's just how it goes?

They generally stick to a pace of two chapters per episode, which sometimes works perfectly (like last week's episode), but sometimes they're more separate, like this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Unresolved parental trauma and trust issues? DROP A TITAN GRIFFON ON IT. Also, those drat barnacles were probably around since the first episode

I wonder if Ryoko Kui also was traumatized by read a certain short story given the events in this episode. Title in the spoiler tags: The Feather Pillow by Horacio Quiroga

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/_kikimari_/status/1788566671352815835?t=8t41_mjspAgpzNzVbTsCnw&s=19

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 9, 2024

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ll admit, it was slightly jarring to have a whole first half of having someone new join the party… only for her to get completely sidelined in the second half. I get that it’s been roughly 2 chapters per episode, but I do wish they had thrown in a little something more for her and the others

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's one of the unfortunate limitations of adapting a story this way.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Some scenes and chapters have been rearranged to accommodate the two-per-episode standard, most notably Dryads being pushed to after Sea Serpent. I remember some people speculating that the nightmares would be pushed back too or that Shapeshifters would be shortened so that some more of Izutsumi's introduction could be squeezed in at the end, but I couldn't see either of those working any better than what we got.

Happy catgirl day, everyone!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MiracleFlare posted:

Some scenes and chapters have been rearranged to accommodate the two-per-episode standard, most notably Dryads being pushed to after Sea Serpent. I remember some people speculating that the nightmares would be pushed back too or that Shapeshifters would be shortened so that some more of Izutsumi's introduction could be squeezed in at the end, but I couldn't see either of those working any better than what we got.

Happy catgirl day, everyone!

They actually moved Dryads around for the collected volumes of the manga, even changing the chapter numbering. It really does flow better that way.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Ah, I see! And yeah, I do like the narrative flow of "these guys think our heroes might be criminal masterminds! Back to our heroes, here they are lost and starving"

I think the other big change was splitting up some of Kabru's scenes around the time the main party was trying to cross the water. Now that I think of it there are a rare few eps where they did manage to fit three chapters, but some stuff had to be cut in exchange.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Last episode they brought back the low res zoom-in gag and this episode they brought back the Looney Tunes "that's all, folks!" circle fade-out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Big, fluffy Laios.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

duz posted:

Big, fluffy Laios.

I'm with cat that is a dumb looking dog

Hot pot
Sep 17, 2015
Senshi getting angry over Izutsumi holding her spoon the wrong way bring back memories of getting yelled at for holding chopsticks wrong.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Episode made me tear up

Marcille ftw

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hot pot posted:

Senshi getting angry over Izutsumi holding her spoon the wrong way bring back memories of getting yelled at for holding chopsticks wrong.

Senshi at least had the wisdom to back up the admonishment with an explanation for why the rule exists. As someone who hates being told "because I said so," that's big.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"That's such a cool thing! Good job me!"

I love Laios so much.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"That's such a cool thing! Good job me!"

I love Laios so much.

His VA is killing it this episode. Just absolutely capturing that "literal dog" energy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh. So I just noticed the paintings in Marcille's nightmare reveal something interesting: Marcille's father was a human. He didn't die at a young life, he spent his whole life raising her until he got old. But because she's half elf and her lifespan is so much longer than his that entire life he spent with her was only a small part of her childhood.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh. So I just noticed the paintings in Marcille's nightmare reveal something interesting: Marcille's father was a human. He didn't die at a young life, he spent his whole life raising her until he got old. But because she's half elf and her lifespan is so much longer than his that entire life he spent with her was only a small part of her childhood.

If she was raised around humans though, that makes previous jokes about her not understanding the ages of shorter-lived races a little odd. Like when she thought Chilchuck was still a kid because he's only 28.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not necessarily, half foots are reclusive it seems like so it's not surprising that Marcille doesn't know much about them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

COME FORTH MY MOST POWERFUL SERVANT

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The anime is now officially beyond where I had read in the manga before I saw a shiny object and get distracted

Do Marcille's abandonment issues have a less obvious dimension to them, or is it just the result of what happens when an elf grows up emotionally needy?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Species age differently and that has got to have an impact on you psychologically when you're still in your adolescent years while people you love die of old age.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kwyndig posted:

Not necessarily, half foots are reclusive it seems like so it's not surprising that Marcille doesn't know much about them.

Yeah, humans seem like they're pretty low ranked on the lifespan curve compared to dwarves, elves, and gnomes, so it stands to reason an elf might assume most nonhuman humanoids live multiple centuries in the absence of other information

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
All of the main cast are referred to as human, Laios ect are all referred to as tallmen. They've made references to long lived and short lived races, but not given any concrete numbers so far other than last episode Marcille said elves could live up to 500 years and Chilchuck considers himself no longer young at almost 29 as a half-foot, which makes Laios think he needs to refer to him as Sir instead of as a peer.

Eastern tallmen from Shuro's party are also somewhat unfamiliar with some of the fantasy races that live on the island, hinting at some of the wider world geography. Izutsumi refers to Marcille as a long-ears this episode, and we've had numerous mentions of the western elves. In recent episodes Maizuru misidentified Holm (the gnome magic user in Kabru's party) as a dwarf. It's also been a running theme that multiple eastern tallmen have mistaken Chilchuck as a child, so they're not very familiar with half-foots either.

Orcs are specifically excluded from the human label, being called demi-humans, despite being clearly actual people, and have suffered greatly as a result. Kabru mentions that the Island's adventurers are expected to kill them as if they were monsters, and the lord of the Island considers placing a bounty on them in his meeting with Tansu. The term human, and who is included in it, is clearly political to some extent.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

now that we got the cat girl we can post the cat girl comics