Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

nesamdoom posted:

a punch only character.

Playing Bethesda games melee only is the best way to do it. Punch only, is usually ridiculously overpowered much faster than the time it takes to acquire super weapons.

I played fallout 3 with only the pneumatic powered brass knuckles with hilarious success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

oxyrosis posted:

Playing Bethesda games melee only is the best way to do it. Punch only, is usually ridiculously overpowered much faster than the time it takes to acquire super weapons.

I played fallout 3 with only the pneumatic powered brass knuckles with hilarious success.

I'd normally, in NV, start out going to a ranger station so level 4-6 I got the .50 cal. but drat, yea, boxing is op. strength, endurance, and luck. just roll right over everyone.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Well, I beat Sand Land, which is more than I can say for FFVII Rebirth. I think I underestimated how much I wanted to play a game where you get to drive around in vehicles designed by Akira Toriyama.

you're selling me hard right now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shard posted:

The tank you ride around in is really cool looking imo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I finished Little Kitty Big City. It's very short, very charming, very buggy (I got stuck in geometry multiple times, once having to quit out of the game and restart it to get free), and occasionally very irritating to control.
Some of the marketing suggested a level of 'Untitled Goose Game' energy and it's very much not that, despite having one or two instances of you being a nuisance and dodging a human in the process. What it reminds me of more is the small, dense open world of something like A Short Hike but unfortunately without quite hitting that games polish and definitely, definitely not feeling anywhere near as satisfying to control. It was enjoyable enough but I'm not really motivated to keep hunting around the open world when the only reward on offer appears to be 'cute hats'. They're good hats, there's a photo mode, I just... need a little bit more to go on.

That said when I started playing it my cat was fascinated for a while and eventually padded over to the TV to lean up and put his paw out to touch the cat on the screen, which was goddamned adorable, so 10/10 GOTY all years.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
It's been a busy month or so. I beat Silent Hill 1 - 4, Yakuza 0, BioShock, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness and Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Just spent my Friday evening and most of Saturday marathoning Crow Country, and it's a pretty good eight-hour experience that scratches that retro survival horror itch. It has a spooky and nostalgic aesthetic without any real terror or jump scares, so it feels surprisingly cozy. Even if you don't use the "exploration mode" option, combat is never too difficult and it's generous with items, so you're mostly free to wander and vibe with the setting. The puzzles are clever without being too obtuse, and there's a good amount of secrets to discover. The story is pretty standard for the genre, but there's enough mystery and intrigue that it kept me interested in seeing how it would all shake out. Looks like there's a little bit of replay value with unlockable items based on your end-of-game ranking. It was worth my twenty bucks!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just beat Cryptmaster, a fun mix between a dungeon crawler, typing of the dead, and a puzzler game. Got through the main story in a crisp seven hours (in three sittings, which speaks to how engaging it is), which seems just about the right length for it. There's a lot more for those inclined to completionism (e.g. I only found maybe a quarter of all unlockable words), but that kind of thing is not for me.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Beat Streets of Rage 4 on mania recently and working on mania+. It really.does not play like the same game on the higher difficulty levels. There's a lot of spamming your blitz attack and/or offensive specials depending on your character, and certain characters, especially the DLC ones, feel way better suited to it than others.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Finally sat down and finished Final Fantasy 16.

Was incredibly hyped going into it as an addict of 14, and well here it is a year later and I'm actually done with it. The combat feels fine, as someone that doesn't play those types of games. I'm sure there's depth in it that I couldn't be bothered to engage with. The story was trying too hard to be game of thrones, but was fine in the end. It had to escalate into a proper final fantasy world threat and that fell flat for me. The final boss fight was pretty great though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rap Game Goku posted:

Finally sat down and finished Final Fantasy 16.

Was incredibly hyped going into it as an addict of 14, and well here it is a year later and I'm actually done with it. The combat feels fine, as someone that doesn't play those types of games. I'm sure there's depth in it that I couldn't be bothered to engage with. The story was trying too hard to be game of thrones, but was fine in the end. It had to escalate into a proper final fantasy world threat and that fell flat for me. The final boss fight was pretty great though.

Quote is not EDIT: Forgot to add that the stinger after the credits is perfect. No notes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shard posted:

I liked the game even better because I haven't seen the anime or read the manga, and the plot just consistently pulls insane Shonen tropes out of the blue. Like the action sequence where the protagonist suddenly reveals that he has telepathy.

Anyway,

I beat Animal Well.
Then, I beat Animal Well.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Finished a couple games this week.

Zortch is a good budget shooter. A decent amount of variety in enemies, guns feel good with well defined and unique strengths that keep them all relevant. Finding secrets was very rewarding as the powerups and armor pickups are strong as hell.

Animal Well, though I'm not 100% complete. It's a pretty good puzzle platformer that lets me feel very clever. You get a good set of multi-purpose tools to work with that enables some really interesting puzzle design. I know some people are immediately turned away by how it looks but I really like the style. The platforming is too demanding considering this is supposed to be primarily a puzzle game. Still, I'd give it a strong recommendation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just beat Jedi Survivor. It ran like crap most of the time. Also it made me very angry that one of the bosses regenerated health, across both these Cal Kestis games it was the first time I had to lower it from Extreme Gamer Difficulty.

There's never been a proper Fromsoft Dark Souls game with a boss that can indefinitely regen health, right? I don't remember any. Felt like horseshit that they aped the Souls games then went with that choice.

I might have stuck it through, but this was the first time using a PC Game Pass trial and it felt bad being on a time limit so I wimped out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It feels kinda shameful the state that game's in on PC a year after it came out, I don't know what happened there. A big release showing up on Gamepass is usually a good thing, but I feel like 90% of what I've heard for this one has been complaints about the technical issues. Not a good look for the devs.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It's strange, because I played it on PS5 at launch and had maybe one or two technical issues over the course of my whole playthrough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Same, I had some occasional slowdown in busy areas, and I found a couple locations outside the main path that would crash the game. A bit annoying, but nothing that really hurt my playthrough.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Quiet Feet posted:

Beat Streets of Rage 4 on mania recently and working on mania+. It really.does not play like the same game on the higher difficulty levels. There's a lot of spamming your blitz attack and/or offensive specials depending on your character, and certain characters, especially the DLC ones, feel way better suited to it than others.

Yeah, SOR4 gets absolutely crazy on the harder difficulties, and I had a much easier time getting my first win with Adam than I did with Axel because of the difference in mobility and abilities.

I don't think I ever actually played Mania+. I should go back and do that. Hell, I should just keep SOR4 installed on my computer forever: it's so fun to go back and play, and I love the music so much.

If you're looking for more great beat-em-ups, I recommend Fight'N Rage!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Completed Crow Country.

Crow Country is a very classic survival horror game with a Final Fantasy VII look to it. It's a real fun time overall.

It's a bit friendlier than actual survival horror games of the era, letting you choose between tank and 3D controls, and having an item limit only on consumables.

It's also a little short and easy. I've only died once because I wanted to see the death animation and it took me 4 hours to complete it. This might all sound like the game isn't worth your time, but it's far from the truth. I just wanted to focus on very few things people might complain about first.

Crow Country is really good. I was in love with exploring the abandoned theme park and collecting items. There are a TON of secrets in this game of which I've only found a third. The enemy variety is also pretty nuts, with around 7 or 8 different types or clearly different enemies, along with 4 or 5 different traps. The game clearly doesn't want to be the scariest game ever as evidenced by the Final Fantasy 7-like look, and it is in parts more funny than it is actually scary. That's not to say it doesn't have the understanding of the atmosphere. Enemies might look a little goofy, but when you barely have bullets and are in the dark, it's pretty drat spooky!

The story is quite good and reminds me of the original Resident Evil with a few NPCs just hanging around the park, as most of the time story is told through the notes. That said, the actual plot is very different and quite unique, with its own twists and turns, all of which I've enjoyed.

One of the things that made me breathe a sigh of relief is a feature that any short game must have: Crow Country does have unlockables. I was really sad that the newest Alone in the Dark game didn't, but Crow Country has a new mode along with some goodies that are given to you based on your rank. Hell, maybe something more too, I've just completed it once!

If you've enjoyed Signalis, you should play this game. It's not as out-there presentation wise, but if you like Metroid-y gameplay of old survival horrors, it's a must play!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Little Kitty Big City is probably a wonderful game to play if you have a kid who likes watching you play stuff. Lots of funny moments, and for the little ones, it's easy enough they can probably try too. Charming and delightful!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Beat Animal Well earlier today. Haven't 100% it yet, but it's a charming, breezy game. Probably the most annoying thing about it was the final Chameleon encounter for me, but that didn't take too long to figure out

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Shinji2015 posted:

Beat Animal Well earlier today. Haven't 100% it yet, but it's a charming, breezy game. Probably the most annoying thing about it was the final Chameleon encounter for me, but that didn't take too long to figure out

I just finished this as well. Quite liked it. Gonna probably look up a list of the collectibles rather than try to hunt them all down myself, but I did quite like the variety of secrets they let you find.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finished Mother 3 last night, after starting it 16 years ago, shelving it because I hadn't beaten Earthbound yet, then picking it up a week or so ago (about 8 or 9 years after finishing Earthbound) because one of my kids was playing it and reminded me it existed.

It was a pretty fun ride, but man was the story a disjointed mess, and that ending... woof. I don't regret playing it but it was kind of an unsatisfying disappointment overall.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
That's Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the bag. What a great game!

I still need to do the Majima Saga but I might leave that for when my "story" playthrough is done of the entire series and I come back to maybe do completionist stuff. We'll see.

I also hit credits on Animal Well last night. Even if I dropped the game right now I would consider it well worth the money and easily my favourite game of the year so far.

Not entirely looking forward to 3 due to going from one of the newest (brawler) games in the series to the literal oldest in the "collection" on steam but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LeFishy posted:

Not entirely looking forward to 3 due to going from one of the newest (brawler) games in the series to the literal oldest in the "collection" on steam but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Yeah, I did most of the series in numerical order (0, Kiwami 1 & 2, 3, 4, 5), and it's a really noticeable step back when you get to 3. I just kept playing, though, and after a bit of time to adjust it felt fine. I liked the first three the best, but the rest were all good enough to keep playing - I only quit because of burnout from playing them straight through, not because they were bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LeFishy posted:

That's Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the bag. What a great game!

I still need to do the Majima Saga but I might leave that for when my "story" playthrough is done of the entire series and I come back to maybe do completionist stuff. We'll see.

it doesn't take too long

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Return of the Obra Dinn has been solved. I felt like I had to make some random guesses for a few topmen identities, but otherwise pretty good game for testing deduction. A good experience, amazing that one guy did so much of it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I seem to recall looking up a guide to how to solve every crewman after I beat it and some of the clues are insanely difficult to spot

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TACD posted:

Yeah I seem to recall looking up a guide to how to solve every crewman after I beat it and some of the clues are insanely difficult to spot

I'm the racist who didn't know which Chinese topman was which.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
In terms of cracking open a guide for Obra Dinn the bunks and the shoes were where I drew the line, personally.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

raditts posted:

Finished Mother 3 last night, after starting it 16 years ago, shelving it because I hadn't beaten Earthbound yet, then picking it up a week or so ago (about 8 or 9 years after finishing Earthbound) because one of my kids was playing it and reminded me it existed.

It was a pretty fun ride, but man was the story a disjointed mess, and that ending... woof. I don't regret playing it but it was kind of an unsatisfying disappointment overall.

Earthbound stays winning. Yeah, I had exactly the same reaction upon completing Mother 3. Earthbound is on of my all time favourites and I really, really wanted to love 3 but it's just all over the place.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Just finished Metro Last Light Redux on Survival. I forgot how easy it was to get pulled into 2033 and this was a fun ride. Might have to play through on the other mode just to see what that's like.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
I beat tunic. It was pretty good. They throw some real loving bullshit right near the end. they take away all your upgrades for your stats and weapons. Then they put you in a room to fight waves of enemies.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Beat cyberpunk finally.

Overall, really good. The strongest parts are the scripted missions and the moments within. The weakest is the open world. It would have maybe worked better as a semi open world Ala deus ex. But overall, very fun. Spent about 55 hours in it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

strategery posted:

Beat cyberpunk finally.

Overall, really good. The strongest parts are the scripted missions and the moments within. The weakest is the open world. It would have maybe worked better as a semi open world Ala deus ex. But overall, very fun. Spent about 55 hours in it.

did you play PL? that’s the peak Cyberpunk mission design, IMO

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I finished Ghostwire Tokyo, which I quite enjoyed.

First the good, the game looks amazing. The rain-slicked streets of Shibuya, the neon signs reflecting in puddles, the impressive visual density (especially in interior spaces), it all looks great. Performance is pretty solid too (on PS5, playing on performance mode), aside from some noticeable framedrops when looking out from high buildings. The art direction does a lot of heavy lifting; the monster designs are interesting and distinct (it was especially fun playing this shortly after Nioh, and seeing the completely different takes on many of the same yokai), and some of the set pieces and story sequences are really creative and memorable. Also, good news for my fellow scaredy-cats, despite appearing horror-adjacent, this is not a scary game at all, aside from maybe two or three short sequences.

The combat is mostly fine. You've got your quick-firing wind attack, your heavy-hitting fireballs, and a water attack that fires in a wide but short-range arc. Each attack also has a charged and super-charged version, and you've got a variety of talismans that can inflict buffs or debuffs. It gets the job done, but it's not a particularly deep combat system; most of the time you're just standing in place or backing up while hurling your strongest attack at the nearest enemy. The game isn't particularly hard (I did do most of the side content, so I might've been overlevelled), but there are some annoyingly tanky enemies in the second half of the game.

The big criticism I've seen leveled against the game is that it has too much generic open-world busywork, and yeah, I kind of agree. You've got torii gates to cleanse, relics to gather, tanuki to track down, investigation files to pick up, local yokai to either defeat or help, side missions to complete, spirit photographs to recreate, graffiti to find, and like two thousand spirits to hoover up. It's a lot, and it doesn't help that the map feels about 33% bigger than it needs to be, with a lot of the outer neighborhoods feeling empty and underutilized. Still, I found that I kind of enjoyed this aspect. It's been a while since a played a Ubisoft-esque collectathon, and playing this game made me remember why they can work; sometimes it's nice to just log in, hoover up some ghosts, and watch number go up.

The biggest weakness of the game is the plot. The protagonist is mostly just boring, none of the writing is particularly good, and the motivation of the villain ended up being laughably straightforward and cliche (mild spoiler: think of one reason why someone would want to weaken the barrier between the world of the living and the world of the dead, and yeah, it's that one, it's the one you're thinking of right now). There's a couple of interesting ideas in there, particularly regarding Japanese views on mortality and the afterlife, but none of it really amounts to much in the end.

Still, I enjoyed my time with this, solid 7 out of 10, and would have definitely been interested in a sequel (Ghostwire Kyoto?). gently caress Microsoft for shuttering this studio, Phil Spencer will not see the light of heaven.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I loved walking around in Ghostwire. My favourite parts of the game were the more directed, typically indoor parts where you weren't worrying about the open-world stuff, and could focus on all the little details in the environment. It got me wondering about the person who would be in charge of populating and detailing all the places you find, I liked looking through the residential places to find all the small things to notice.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Ghostory is a puzzle platformer where you can turn into a ghost to phase through platforms. But when you're a ghost, you can't carry your backpack to pick up or use keys. The concept was fun, but it was a bit too long. Once you understand the basic gameplay, nothing significant is added to the puzzles - the levels just get bigger which requires lots of backtracking. Wouldn't recommend.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I just beat the Homeworld 3 campaign. It was a fun, if somewhat easy RTS space game. I think a lot of the early charm faded once your fleet is absolutely massive, because it just takes so much time to micro everything. I started taking a more macro view, hardly using the tactical pause, and just overwhelming my enemy with numbers and superior firepower. The story was a bit weird, I definitely would've preferred something a bit more space opera-ey but instead it was a very personal and dramatic kind of thing. Overall, I very much enjoyed the game, I would recommend it on sale (I got a key for 40 or so, something closer to that or maybe 25 - 30 seems good).

It's inspired me to go back and play Homeworld: Deserte of Kharak which I am loving so far but I haven't beaten. Not sure if I will play the Homeworld 3 roguelite mode, I should at least check it out but frankly it doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

strategery posted:

Beat cyberpunk finally.

V much agree, I love the content itself, the side quests are super high quality, amazing setpieces, beautiful world and characters, great main quest, etc. but the gameplay itself, which is fun for about 50 hours, can't carry it that long, and it took me 100+ to do everything. I was p tired of it to the point that I used a mod to frequently respec to avoid the tedium.