Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's the film equivalent of "it's a banana, how much could it cost, $10?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Given the concession stands at the Miami Grand Prix this year, anything related to Formula 1 is going to be overpriced...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Given the concession stands at the Miami Grand Prix this year, anything related to Formula 1 is going to be overpriced...

yikes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Most of that budget is probably just licensing.

Petronas better allow me to buy tickets using my gas station loyalty points. (They sponsor Mercedes)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But how much were the empanadas?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Some of it has to be the directors getting one over on the streamers. Scorsese brought Silence in for $40 million. Yet the similarly modestly scaled Killers of the Flower Moon cost $200 million.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

gently caress. I'd love to watch a $300m Kozikski movie starring Pitt. Just not that one. I just could not care less about car racing no matter how good the flick is. Bummer.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But how much were the empanadas?

If you have to ask…

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Most of that budget is probably just licensing.

Petronas better allow me to buy tickets using my gas station loyalty points. (They sponsor Mercedes)

They were in the middle of filming when the strike hit. I'm guessing most of the cost is because they had to shut down then restart production. If they have to do anymore race day filming it'll be a complete nightmare

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

High Warlord Zog posted:

Some of it has to be the directors getting one over on the streamers. Scorsese brought Silence in for $40 million. Yet the similarly modestly scaled Killers of the Flower Moon cost $200 million.

Also the lack of residuals, so people wanting to get paid up front.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Goddamn, the latest Mission Impossible cost $291 million estimated, and even crazy Tom Cruise doing his own stunts couldn't push that movie up past the break even point. It doesn't matter WHY that movie costs $300 million, a Brad Pitt led race car movie is not going to pull in enough for a break even box office. Studios need to reign this poo poo in, because most movies aren't going to pull in Endgame/Avatar/Barbie money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hollywood has a similar issue with AAA video games at this point where they seem to have forgotten how to not make bloated overbudgeted megablockbusters that try to do everything at once and usually have executives loving around with them every step of the way until they're an incoherent mess, thinking every single one of them can and has to make Avatar/Call of Duty money.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hollywood has a similar issue with AAA video games at this point.... thinking every single one of them can and has to make Avatar/Call of Duty money.

The marvel films have a lot to answer for with that as well. Huge budgets, somehow making it back, time and again. With avatar you could say it's just a weird unique talent Cameron has for creating that sort of movie, and put it down to be a one-off thing. The marvel films showed very clearly it is, or at least was, a very viable, and even reliable strategy when you get the formula just right.

That temptation seems to of lead to quite a few studios losing poo poo loads of money.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

Woah, Silence looks incredibly good that's less than I'd have guessed. They did a lot with that money!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

The marvel films have a lot to answer for with that as well. Huge budgets, somehow making it back, time and again. With avatar you could say it's just a weird unique talent Cameron has for creating that sort of movie, and put it down to be a one-off thing. The marvel films showed very clearly it is, or at least was, a very viable, and even reliable strategy when you get the formula just right.

That temptation seems to of lead to quite a few studios losing poo poo loads of money.

Thing is they got like that because they specifically didn't panic and throw their toys out the pram when IIRC Captain America and Thor 1 didn't get as much box office or glowing reception as Iron Man, but they still made money. They let the series gain momentum and developed on what people liked. All the wannabe cinematic universes keep stumbling out the gate because they expect Avengers money right away without doing anything to earn it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

But if the budgets are too tight, how are you gonna hide all the embezzling? Did you ever think about that, smart guy?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

But if the budgets are too tight, how are you gonna hide all the embezzling? Did you ever think about that, smart guy?

That's where the cancelled "finished" never to be released movies come in!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/PoorOldRoloTony/status/1788783823594856542?t=4Vln1-fszCsPL-icNNuVVg&s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Goddamn, the latest Mission Impossible cost $291 million estimated, and even crazy Tom Cruise doing his own stunts couldn't push that movie up past the break even point. It doesn't matter WHY that movie costs $300 million, a Brad Pitt led race car movie is not going to pull in enough for a break even box office. Studios need to reign this poo poo in, because most movies aren't going to pull in Endgame/Avatar/Barbie money.

I don't think Apple cares that much. If anyone asks, they can say its necessary to build up the prestige of their streaming service.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ccs posted:

I don't think Apple cares that much. If anyone asks, they can say its necessary to build up the prestige of their streaming service.

quote:

According to Apple's latest financial reports the company has $73.10 B in cash and cash equivalents.

Apple isn't going to care about anything that "only" costs a couple hundred million.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If Annapurna can do it, so can Apple.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is they got like that because they specifically didn't panic and throw their toys out the pram when IIRC Captain America and Thor 1 didn't get as much box office or glowing reception as Iron Man, but they still made money. They let the series gain momentum and developed on what people liked. All the wannabe cinematic universes keep stumbling out the gate because they expect Avengers money right away without doing anything to earn it.

Man of Steel came out in 2013 but there were no other DC movies until 2016. Batman v. Superman came out that year and featured the two title characters plus four other superheroes. It really felt like DC saying "See? We have a superhero universe too! Now give us money!" Imagine if after Iron Man there had been no other Marvel movies for three years, and then Iron Man 2 introduced Thor, Black Widow, the Hulk, Captain America, and Hawkeye. And it looks like DC hasn't learned their lesson, since next year's Superman is supposed to introduce at least half a dozen other superhero characters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Action Jacktion posted:

Batman v. Superman came out that year and featured the two title characters plus four other superheroes.

Huh? No it didn't.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Huh? No it didn't.

Wonder Woman was a supporting character, while Aquaman and Flash got little cameos.

Edit: oh wait, they said four other superheroes, didn’t they? There might have been a Cyborg cameo at the end as well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Action Jacktion posted:

Imagine if after Iron Man there had been no other Marvel movies for three years, and then Iron Man 2 introduced Thor, Black Widow, the Hulk, Captain America, and Hawkeye.

It might have been a better movie than the actual Iron Man 2, Thor, Black Widow, or Hulk films.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There's absolutely no problem with introducing multiple DC heroes in the same movie. Unlike the somewhat B-tier to Z-tier list Marvel had to work with back during the time of Iron Man, everyone is super familiar with the major Justice League heroes because there has been several decades of cartoons, and TV series introducing them. The movie just has to be good, and have fun using them. James Gunn managed to do this with his Suicide Squad Movie, AND Peacemaker (it name drops Matter Eater Lad!), and no one bitched that Vigilante didn't get his own origin story show before teaming up with Cena's Peacemaker.

EDIT: The difference between the MCU and Gunn's concept of the DC universe, is that the MCU plays the world as being perfectly normal until all of a sudden a bunch of comic book poo poo started happening, and so everyone responds like it's weird that a talking robot took over an Eastern European nation. Gunn's DC movies just imply that this wild poo poo is happening all the time everywhere, and there are so many superheroes that most of them can't even get a job fighting crime because all the "big names" are hogging all the spotlight.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 10, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wonder Woman was a supporting character, while Aquaman and Flash got little cameos.

Edit: oh wait, they said four other superheroes, didn’t they? There might have been a Cyborg cameo at the end as well.

By that standard this is literally exactly what IRON MAN 2 does, on top of just flat out ignoring those other movies.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Splint Chesthair posted:

Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, and Ray Fisher were in it, though yeah, they were cameos and not really featured players.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can't "earn" cameos. Don't be silly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, I feel if the second MCU film actually showed Iron Man having to fight Hulk as promised, it would have been a more natural progression.

The Captain America and Thor movies doesn't need any changing. But the Avengers movie should have followed up the ending of Thor, with the heroes on Earth trying to find a way for Thor to get here without the the destroyed Rainbow Bridge. The actual Avengers movie just made Thor's solution to that problem happen offscreen.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

By that standard this is literally exactly what IRON MAN 2 does, on top of just flat out ignoring those other movies.

You’re right, it’s the same strategy. More and more I feel like the biggest difference between the MCU and the DCEU/Snyderverse is simply the perception that WB was trying to copy off Marvel’s homework.

The MCU was propped up by novelty and some really fortunate casting, and that’s about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hype levels rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9S-WyzAalQ

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is that finally a good trailer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is that finally a good trailer
no

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sure it'll be solid but I was thinking to myself how much I'd have just preferred just making a sequel with Charlize Theron. There's fun potential going by the end of the last movie. I mean why not? Did she just have an awful Fury Road experience? I'm not trying to say this is some Phantom Menace poo poo but no I'm not really that interested in tracing this poo poo back. Hell just give me another Yojimbo type story with a slightly different vibe, using Tom Hardy Mad Max just once seems like a waste.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Furiosa is gonna bomb

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anonymous Zebra posted:

To be fair: that one had higher costs because they shut down for 7-8 months during covid but kept paying all the crew.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm sure it'll be solid but I was thinking to myself how much I'd have just preferred just making a sequel with Charlize Theron. There's fun potential going by the end of the last movie. I mean why not? Did she just have an awful Fury Road experience? I'm not trying to say this is some Phantom Menace poo poo but no I'm not really that interested in tracing this poo poo back. Hell just give me another Yojimbo type story with a slightly different vibe, using Tom Hardy Mad Max just once seems like a waste.
She absolutely hated working with Tom Hardy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Furiosa is gonna bomb
Surely not! I am kinda worried the Ape movies are gonna start petering out tho...I mean is Kingdom really gonna make money on its budget?? Cuz they're adequate enough that I'd like at least ten more of these. Have the apes achieve nuclear fission and space travel. Them being kinda falconers (but with eagles) in the new one was fun.
Have the apes looking for a cure for ape alzheimers by testing feral humans but then they accidentally release a virus that makes apes stupid and humans dominant again. Boom, soft reboot, five more movies, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegetable posted:

Furiosa is gonna bomb

I'll take that bet.