Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

PM sent.

XIV has mobs from FF13 as well, when I saw the Dreadnaughts in coil I cackled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Those Ultimanias are pretty good, only have the first one but I really should get the other two sometime.

I'm also miffed that I had a really nice FF9 art book I got many years ago but can't find it anymore, dunno if I lost it during my last move or if it's still hidden in a bunch of random stuff. The thing had illustrations for basically every last random NPC and a ton of other things, it was great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember the Ultimania for like FF1 or 2 made sure to specify that the Death spell is basically just giving someone a heart attack which is the funniest thing to extrapolate to later games.

Just Vanille with a Death Note constantly writing "Adamanotise" in it over and over.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

I remember the Ultimania for like FF1 or 2 made sure to specify that the Death spell is basically just giving someone a heart attack which is the funniest thing to extrapolate to later games.

Just Vanille with a Death Note constantly writing "Adamanotise" in it over and over.

well it's more like Vanille having really bad handwriting and spelling it wrong 90% of the time in my experience,

but to the original point: that is hilarious

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So that's why Vanish/Doom works in FF6, the enemy can't contact emergency services because they can't see the enemy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Meanwhile, Deathgaze is shown to be a dimension-hopper when you use X-Zone on him. He keeps coming back, only angrier.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

PM sent.

XIV has mobs from FF13 as well, when I saw the Dreadnaughts in coil I cackled

It's criminal we still haven't got Flanitors in XIV

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GloomMouse posted:

Should have had them instead of Cubus

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GloomMouse posted:

It's not too late.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
GIVE ME A GEL CAN DANCE FLANDANGO
SOFT AS A PUDDING AND SWEET AS A MANGO

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electric Phantasm posted:

Should have had them instead of Cubus
everyone loves the cubus :argh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zedprime posted:

It's not too late.

i assume on a long enough timeline, everything will end up in there. and it's not like new numbered games are coming out at a breakneck pace or anything

Mega64
May 23, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

It's really hosed up because Flanbulance is right there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Got a question about 7 Rebirth, start of chapter 13 i'm on the boat towards the northern continent, should I do all my side stuff now, or can i do a main sequence or two to get Cait Sith back? I wanna optimally farm AP during the final world tour

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Also a Chapter 13 question:

How much time does it take to reach the end credits from when you get off the Tiny Bronco at the Temple of the Ancients? Ideally I'd like to sweep through it in one go.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MorningMoon posted:

Got a question about 7 Rebirth, start of chapter 13 i'm on the boat towards the northern continent, should I do all my side stuff now, or can i do a main sequence or two to get Cait Sith back? I wanna optimally farm AP during the final world tour

You cannot get him back

Soul Glo posted:

How much time does it take to reach the end credits from when you get off the Tiny Bronco at the Temple of the Ancients? Ideally I'd like to sweep through it in one go.

I wanna say like 6 hours.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

MorningMoon posted:

You won’t get Cait back until the final chapter, and can’t go back to previous things until you roll credits I’m afraid.

Soul Glo posted:

About six hours if you’re quick, more like ten for me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
cool, thank you, i wont plan to attempt it in one sitting then

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

GloomMouse posted:

They’re not called Flanitors but isn’t the model in the Twinning

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

They’re not called Flanitors but isn’t the model in the Twinning

It ain't just about the models. It's also about the name. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Thanks for the answers RIP Cait Sith, you truly betrayed me, the player, as hard as you did the party with that heel turn you AP farm.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It ain't just about the models. It's also about the name. :colbert:

Also them blaring full lights and sirens the second anything in range loses health and heals like a panicky conjurer sprout

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah Flanborgs are fine I guess but we really need flan with silly siren hardhats spamming medica

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I gotta say FF7 Rebirth has broken me on bloated AAA games. I’ve put 80 hours into it, still have a good chunk to go. This does not need to happen. The original was less play time than remake. Fuckin ridic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Remake was actually surprisingly, pleasantly short if you weren’t a completionist. I finished the main story in about 35-40 hours.

What I’ve heard of Rebirth makes it sound closer to XII where you just spend a lot of time mucking around.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes, remake is a dainty jaunt compared to rebirth.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I mean you've got 4 years til the finale drops. Pace it out.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, this can't be shocking. FF7 is the game that really kick-started Final Fantasy's relationship with EXCESS. Not to bloat the gently caress out of the game with copious amounts of filler, mini-games, and optional content just wouldn't be true to the spirit of the original game and the trends it started for the series as a whole.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love excess when it's an excess of good poo poo, and that's why the latest projections show me enjoying FF7 Rebirth clear through to sometime next year.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait to have a miserable time playing FF7 Rebirth because the option of just not engaging with every piece of side material to 100% completion isn't an option.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I will never understand people who do all the optional poo poo and then complain the game is too long

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah if you just do the story I wouldn't be surprised if Rebirth is only slightly longer than Remake.

I did a lot of the optional poo poo because it was fun. And the stuff I didn't find fun I didn't do. And when I'd had my fill I stopped and finished the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Excess started before FF7. The only thing missing in FF6 would be mini-games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

stev posted:

Yeah if you just do the story I wouldn't be surprised if Rebirth is only slightly longer than Remake.

I did a lot of the optional poo poo because it was fun. And the stuff I didn't find fun I didn't do. And when I'd had my fill I stopped and finished the game.

Me playing the Yakuza series and not touching the majong, shogi, gambling, arena or batting cages unless I have to for a story or plot reasons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mahjong ftw.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah a FF7 remake wouldn't be authentic without too many mini games, and at odd times.

Similarly if they gave FF8 or, say, FF4 the same reamke treatment it would be incredibly odd and inauthentic if there were a ton of mini games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

I will never understand people who do all the optional poo poo and then complain the game is too long

Thinking of that one youtuber who got all like 999 moons in mario odyssey then made a 2 hour video complaining about it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FF8 didn’t need a ton of mini games when it had the best one.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

It's true.

While I don't really think it's going to happen you still hear talk about an FF9 remake every once in a while and if that ever happened they should just replace tetra master with triple triad.

E: vvv I'm curious about that one but I haven't played 7R2 yet and am avoiding basically any info about it. Nice to know it's card game is good though.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FunkyFjord posted:

It's true.

While I don't really think it's going to happen you still hear talk about an FF9 remake every once in a while and if that ever happened they should just replace tetra master with triple triad.

I want to see Queen's Blood in more games. It has some balancing issues in 7R2 but I think it's loads more fun than Triple Triad.