Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I don't remember if it was much better but the guy's previous work about super-powered banchos was, failing good, fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008
Seven Deadly Sins was a bad series with a handful of extremely great moments sprinkled throughout. I still go back to that first Escanor fight sometimes.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
SDS has Escanor who carries every time he's on screen.

Kongou Banchou's still way better though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I like a lot of things about Houshin Engi but it has some serious flaws.

Also as far as generic shonen series go I think Black Clover is far better than Seven Deadly Sins.

That is not a high bar to clear. Seriously, the concept presented in the one-shot seemed more interesting than what we actually got with better versions of Meliodas and Elizabeth.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Joe Desperado posted:

Seven Deadly Sins was a bad series with a handful of extremely great moments sprinkled throughout. I still go back to that first Escanor fight sometimes.

Escanor was great in that he was the stereotypical pride fight guy, except in his case he literally was the strongest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Joe Desperado posted:

Admitively I think the whole thing kinda peaked with that whole business with Meleodis and Ban unwittingly destroying a suppositively inpenatble force field via the power of friendship (as protrayed by them acting like a couple of super saiyan Fraternity-Bros).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Black Clover: genuinely surprised that Asta’s family history/orphan origin is as mundane as it is. Not complaining, it’s actually a plus that the author realized his protagonist should stay a kid who was essentially born unlucky, but I definitely thought he’d be the scion of a demon clan or some poo poo like Yusuke Urameshi. Kinda sucks that he was a perfect fit for his mom though, feels lowkey tragic since she probably left him for what she thought was his own safety.

It does feel a little extra that Yuno is a prince, but in all fairness it’s already A Thing that nobility have the best magic (because they stole it) so I expected him to be some kinda nobility, and they hadn’t dropped any hints about a kid’s noble in the Clover Kingdom who went missing sixteen years ago.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If we are talking about generic/model/cliche shonen series I'd say 7DS was fine all the way through the initial conflict with Hendrickson and Dreyfus in the capital. Nothing really special but a lot of solid moments, good art, and decent fights during that time and the plot didn't feel like it was meandering around. I think the subplot about the knights being fed demon blood was one of the elements I liked most and one of the better beats to that story also involved the introduction of the Dawn Roar which had one of my all-time favorite characters in the series. It is a crime that Slader didn't get to scale further into the series.

After the capital, while things are cooling down and switching gears for the 10 commandments, the story makes the baffling choice to start keeping track of power levels and we get a lot of bad character drama for the main cast. That's when things start to go downhill. The only real selling point of the series would shift to Escanor just being a badass and poo poo-talking everyone.

Having kept up with the sequel series, I can safely say that Nakaba still makes Diane and King the absolute worst characters to follow. King is a terrible leader and now a terrible father and Diane still has nothing better to do than be treated like a giant punching bag. The whole drama of the current arc could have been avoided if either had been a decent parent and just told their fey kidnapped son he was adopted and already given the magical drug he's been angsting over for years

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

IS this the origin story of Ging Freecs?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, other character like yami.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

If we are talking about generic/model/cliche shonen series I'd say 7DS was fine all the way through the initial conflict with Hendrickson and Dreyfus in the capital. Nothing really special but a lot of solid moments, good art, and decent fights during that time and the plot didn't feel like it was meandering around. I think the subplot about the knights being fed demon blood was one of the elements I liked most and one of the better beats to that story also involved the introduction of the Dawn Roar which had one of my all-time favorite characters in the series. It is a crime that Slader didn't get to scale further into the series.

After the capital, while things are cooling down and switching gears for the 10 commandments, the story makes the baffling choice to start keeping track of power levels and we get a lot of bad character drama for the main cast. That's when things start to go downhill. The only real selling point of the series would shift to Escanor just being a badass and poo poo-talking everyone.

Having kept up with the sequel series, I can safely say that Nakaba still makes Diane and King the absolute worst characters to follow. King is a terrible leader and now a terrible father and Diane still has nothing better to do than be treated like a giant punching bag. The whole drama of the current arc could have been avoided if either had been a decent parent and just told their fey kidnapped son he was adopted and already given the magical drug he's been angsting over for years
You know what, this is a perfect summary of SDS.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Most of the fights in the series are him brute forcing or cutting through magic with his antimagic sword, what else could he do?

I haven't read it for a while but doesn't he shoot antimagic blasts and have wings and stuff. I don't have a subscription to dig through the early parts but I feel like it just became another pseudo form of magic pretty quickly and I read it back in 2015/16 when it was just started so it's possible I've compressed the time frame it took him to reach that stage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It takes a while, like after the witch arc when he gets his arms uncursed, and it’s more of a limit break than just being able to do energy slashes on demand for a looong time.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

houshin engi is great and dakki is one of the best villains in the history of shonen jump.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I think most of all I was just really excited for more of a Dark fantasy (even Dark Souls) approach to shonen so I've been happy we're getting a bit more of that with the new Jump Plus Centuria manga and Tower Dungeon.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

another instalment of astro baby another week where I lol and holy poo poo

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

panko posted:

another instalment of astro baby another week where I lol and holy poo poo

Astro Baby is a modern legend. It’s like the author is tuned into the absurdity of both Jojo and Baki at the same time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I don't think a series has gotten me on board as fast as Astro Baby has in years. I was howling with laughter at the end of this chapter.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the Bob Marley angel really got my funny bone.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The only thing capable of stopping battle grandpa is his own hip.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Astro Baby is a modern legend. It’s like the author is tuned into the absurdity of both Jojo and Baki at the same time.

If you haven't read the author's previous series, Soloist in a Cage, I recommend it. Very different tone, but it's a solid run.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lol again at sakamoto

sharpening a katana with a bullet parry, lighting a cigarette with the sparks from an akira drift, the hits never stop coming

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

lol again at sakamoto

sharpening a katana with a bullet parry, lighting a cigarette with the sparks from an akira drift, the hits never stop coming

the bullet parry was one of the most insulting, disrespectful flexes I’ve ever seen in fiction, Mr Takakura rules.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Psych House: Cute art, but bucket-head kid felt like kind of a cop.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

sakamoto days is so good this week

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

the bullet parry was one of the most insulting, disrespectful flexes I’ve ever seen in fiction, Mr Takakura rules.

Best part is I don't think he cares to flex on people. That was pure pragmatism but it's still amazing.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

UU: Someone said Nico imagining a void to negate the supernova but lmao punting it into the enemy zone is so much better.

Sakamotowns too as mentioned. Good week for manga.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
UU: The translator hosed up here by translating Language's word as "supernova explosion" instead of just "supernova" at the end of last chapter, right? Because if she actually included the word "explosion" she would have lost on the spot for ending with an N, I think. Or have I just totally lost the plot with respect to shiritori? EDIT: Never mind, definitely a mistake, because Nico's next word picks up with an A. EDIT x2: Wrong.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 12, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JackGeneric posted:

UU: The translator hosed up here by translating Language's word as "supernova explosion" instead of just "supernova" at the end of last chapter, right? Because if she actually included the word "explosion" she would have lost on the spot for ending with an N, I think. Or have I just totally lost the plot with respect to shiritori? EDIT: Never mind, definitely a mistake, because Nico's next word picks up with an A.

I kind of forget the rules, but doesn't the word only not have to end with N in Japanese?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Arist posted:

I kind of forget the rules, but doesn't the word only not have to end with N in Japanese?

The rules are the next word has to start with the same syllable the previous word ended on. ん can never start a word in Japanese so ending on it is an automatic loss

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Arist posted:

I looked up the raw and in the original, it's written with kanji and then the English words "supernova explotion" next to them like furigana. So the translator was working with what the original gave them, and I just didn't understand the rules for what counts as a N/ん.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 12, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This has been an excellent week for shounen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nighthand posted:

UU: Someone said Nico imagining a void to negate the supernova but lmao punting it into the enemy zone is so much better.

Sakamotowns too as mentioned. Good week for manga.

I'm glad I'm not writing UU. Shooting Sun with a rail gun built to kill God and then throwing him through a wormhole is way more entertaining than just casting Negate at a bomb.

So glad to get another update of both of them this week.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 12, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

Best part is I don't think he cares to flex on people. That was pure pragmatism but it's still amazing.

which makes it even more of an unintended flex, lol

Justin_Brett posted:

Psych House: Cute art, but bucket-head kid felt like kind of a cop.

Yeah, didn't particularly care for them as a MC, but maybe future characters will help

Witch Watch: lmao, best chapter in weeks

Kagurabachi: I really like where this chapter went. In most manga the MC would have just had a big fight regardless of the situation because of Emotions, but instead Chihiro analyzed the situation, kept calm, and made the smart move

Akane-banashi: surely nothing bad is gonna happen, right?

...right? :ohdear:

Green Green Greens: Nadeshiko's frustration and Haku silently crying at the end was handled really well. Please don't can this manga Jump :smith:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
lol at Dear Aneomone.

”Then a lot of time passed.”

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alacron posted:

lol at Dear Aneomone.

”Then a lot of time passed.”

Someone in a discord mentioned the creator nuked his socials and mentions of the series this week. Sounds like it's cooked and on the death march if that's not hot air.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I was incredibly invested in this week’s Witch Watch

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UU: The panel of the other Umas going "oh poo poo" gave me life.

I also hope that Green Green Greens gets to stick around, it's fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

UU: The panel of the other Umas going "oh poo poo" gave me life.

I also hope that Green Green Greens gets to stick around, it's fun.

Bad TOC and terrible sales, sadly. It's more a question of when than if at this point. I like it too, but it doesn't seem to have caught on with wider Japanese audiences.

At least the wave timing means we're getting another volume-ish. If it has to end (shame), I hope it can at least come to a good close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Centuria has also turned out to be quite good so far, imo.