Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, whereas the one with the top that rides Link is only available on certain mod sites.

Nah there’s a top riding Link whenever he’s in wolf form with no mods required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr.Acula posted:

Nazi curious? Is that like bi-curious?

Yes that's the joke, congrats on understanding it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Welp. There goes my last reason to have a Twitter! I'll have to think of a creative way to get myself banned.

Now bring back Miiverse!
Bring it back as a Mastodon server! Or something. I don't know how these new things work.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

go for kirby. cereza is nice but it's a collectathon with one of the worst maps i've seen in quite a while, which makes it miserable to actually collect stuff

it is not a collectathon

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm feeling a burning desire to wipe my old Animal Crossing save and play again but I assume nobody else is playing anymore :(

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Meowywitch posted:

I'm feeling a burning desire to wipe my old Animal Crossing save and play again but I assume nobody else is playing anymore :(

I still play, as a method to feel like I have some control over my life. :(

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Meowywitch posted:

I can't handle the guilt trip waiting for me from my neighbors.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Meowywitch posted:

The Animal Crossing Discord is still pretty active. I'm sure you could find people to play with.

Waffle! posted:

In New Horizons, they really don't guilt trip you much. If at all. The first time you talk to each of your neighbors after a long absence, they'll just say "Oh, hi Waffle! It's been a while. Glad you're back!" and that's it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I planted a grid a of 13 pitfalls in front of my daughter's house yesterday :twisted:

She managed to only fall once while digging them out

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol the first time I came back after an extended absence the first neighbor I talked to was super passive-aggressive about it, something like “oh hi Maroonhawk, it’s been a while! Like, 4 months 2 weeks and 5 days a while!”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I simply deleted my villagers from existence because I couldn't be assed to jump through hoops to transfer my island to my OLED.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I wanted to love new horizons but after a certain point I'm just putting furniture places and like....eh

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sarah Cenia posted:

I wanted to love new horizons but after a certain point I'm just putting furniture places and like....eh

It's definitely not as good as New Leaf but hey what can ya do

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s the best one yet

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think I just went too hard in the paint with AC:NH during the initial lockdowns because I would have it up basically all day, even if I wasn’t actively playing it, and then the second the lockdown ended I almost never touched it again

It served its purpose fine - great, I’d even say - but I just didn’t feel compelled to keep playing once I wasn’t holed up at home all day every day

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Wish I could play New Leaf on the switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think I just went too hard in the paint with AC:NH during the initial lockdowns because I would have it up basically all day, even if I wasn’t actively playing it, and then the second the lockdown ended I almost never touched it again

It served its purpose fine - great, I’d even say - but I just didn’t feel compelled to keep playing once I wasn’t holed up at home all day every day

The AC:NH music is like some sort of reverse-or-pseudo Pavlov response, where my mind goes right back to when everyone was scared and I would wipe down the groceries that I could.

7pm is a banger, btw.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've decided I'd like Animal Crossing to strike a balance by allowing outside furniture, but nixing full blown terraforming and instead emphasizing more in the way of unique events, encounters, villager dialogue and requests, that type of thing. Customization is hugely valuable but AC's strength lies in being essentially a non-predatory version of the GaaS model by making you want to check in every day and pace yourself. Covid definitely contributed to more than expected daily play and burnout, but I'd say giving players the agency to make a "perfect" island via a lot of tedium with the terraforming and complete control of everything was ultimately detrimental to the big picture experience.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I got a new Switch, transferred over my games but didn't realize AC had its own save transfer thing. Goodbye all my stuff :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morpheus posted:

I got a new Switch, transferred over my games but didn't realize AC had its own save transfer thing. Goodbye all my stuff :(

The same file will still be on your original switch and transferrable if you haven't gotten rid of it yet.

Also it has cloud saves but different from the normal system and had to have been enabled in the in game options

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The AC:NH music is like some sort of reverse-or-pseudo Pavlov response, where my mind goes right back to when everyone was scared and I would wipe down the groceries that I could.

7pm is a banger, btw.
2AM is, too. Listening to it now brings me back to 2020 and all those late nights I would spend staying up too late designing my island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBDqiqlGtQ

I actually still play the game, but as something to occupy myself with for like 20 minutes a day, not for hours a day like it used to be a few years ago.

You'd think after all the time I've spent playing it, I'd have one of those crazy elaborate islands like people were posting on YouTube a few months after the game came out. But no, I just have one that works for me and has for a while, since I haven't changed it up too much lately. The only thing I've done to it recently is dig up/sell a lot of flowers in one area of the island because the area near it that has all my lilies of the valley is full of them, so I needed room to plant the new ones.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 12, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I've decided I'd like Animal Crossing to strike a balance by allowing outside furniture, but nixing full blown terraforming and instead emphasizing more in the way of unique events, encounters, villager dialogue and requests, that type of thing. Customization is hugely valuable but AC's strength lies in being essentially a non-predatory version of the GaaS model by making you want to check in every day and pace yourself. Covid definitely contributed to more than expected daily play and burnout, but I'd say giving players the agency to make a "perfect" island via a lot of tedium with the terraforming and complete control of everything was ultimately detrimental to the big picture experience.

As long as they keep the ability to make roads, my island has the dopest grid system

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Same

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Same

This was my go to game when the Pandemic hit, I played the poo poo out of this with my family and friends and then stuff kind of returned to normal and after like a year I didn’t have the luxury of throwing myself into it the way I had been and just kind of forgot, sold my OG switch, and moved on.
I just got an OLED switch a couple months ago and I wanted to go back to it but my biggest hang up was that the game feels like one of those mile wide and an inch deep games that could be a whole lot more of what I wanted but I feel like they will never change the recipe enough for me to put it anywhere near my top 10 list even though it feels like each iteration hangs around 60% of the way there.
The music, the art style, the simple gameplay mechanics, the cast of unique characters, the fact that as time goes on I have my own head canon about said characters and came to think of them as kind of fake real cartoon people.
I’m almost 40 and have played video games my whole life but I feel like Animal Crossing had this indelible effect on me throughout the years where it pulled me in on some weird , enchanting “take me back to my gaming years as a kid” effect and I have to give it credit for that
I think part of its popularity is the wide/deep balance but I can’t help but think if they moved things a different direction it could be one of my GOATS
And truthfully as a non game designing layman this may be wrong but, with all the systems currently available in regards to customizing your character and the neighbors you have and the island itself, if they could focus more on the neighbor stuff and expand and deepen it, I’d still be playing the game to this day
And whoever posted about 2 AM that really is a wonderful track.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the gamecube animal crossing has the superior 2am track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GS2Uf2koDI

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Waffle! posted:

Better to just delete and start fresh imo

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the gamecube animal crossing has the superior 2am track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GS2Uf2koDI

I loved the gamecube version so much back in the day. I even bought another memory card to create another town, play until you can have visitors, etc just to get all the types of fruit. Saved up a couple million bells, spent it all on turnips, played the price-check game and when I was going to one of the days I accidentally set the year ahead a full year and all my turnips expired. I was just like, "yeah I'm done for now." Still such a great feeling to the game.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol one time early on in the game I checked the turnip prices on my island (I never actually played that part of the game, I was just curious) and they were selling for 491 bells, so I posted in a Facebook group I was in for the game telling people they could come sell their turnips on my island

This is how I discovered hardcore stalk market players leave tips, because within a few hours I had all of my infrastructure projects funded, my house paid off, and millions of bells chillin in the bank, and I didn’t have to do a drat thing

It’s the closest I’ll ever get to being a billionaire failson

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I agree. The terraforming should have been limited to very specific types (building a ramp from one level to another, say). It was the thing that eventually made me lose interest because I could have made it into anything imaginable and that's not the appeal to me.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

You all are making me want to check in on my island, I don’t think I’ve loaded up New Horizon in at least two years. I just finished up the main story in Kirby and the Forgotten Land and uhh wow, I wasn’t expecting it to end on that note. I haven’t played many Kirby games, do they all dabble in Cosmic horror/Resident Evil Labs?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BigDumper posted:

You all are making me want to check in on my island, I don’t think I’ve loaded up New Horizon in at least two years. I just finished up the main story in Kirby and the Forgotten Land and uhh wow, I wasn’t expecting it to end on that note. I haven’t played many Kirby games, do they all dabble in Cosmic horror/Resident Evil Labs?

The first part of that spoiler, yes. Series staple.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BigDumper posted:

From as early as the second game, yes (hell, without the cute factor Kirby himself could be considered one)

Also play more Kirby games, they’re pretty consistently good

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Also play more Kirby games, they’re pretty consistently good

That’s my plan, I’m saving most of them for when my son is old enough to hold a controller

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kirby killing God is not some funny made up meme, it actually happens pretty regularly lol

Angry American Kirby is more accurate depiction of that round pink fella

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Kirby Lore is a Legit Thing. There's good reason why whenever a cataclysm happens in a Smash game, Kirby is always the last one standing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've been told one of the Kirby titles only comes about because somebody steals his Strawberry Shortcake

do not gently caress with Kirby

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is my three year old's favorite game, it is the only game we play on the Switch. He sits on my lap and I do most of the controls, but he's been doing more of the jumping and attacking lately. He doesn't like the boss levels but we've done every level what feels like dozens of the times now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Meowywitch posted:

I've been told one of the Kirby titles only comes about because somebody steals his Strawberry Shortcake

do not gently caress with Kirby
Ah, Squeak Squad. The first thing Kirby does after his dessert is stolen is to immediately run off, storm Dedede's castle, and beat the living daylights out of him (it wasn't Dedede who stole the shortcake).

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 13, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Commander Keene posted:

An, Squeak Squad. The first thing Kirby does after his dessert is stolen is to immediately run off, storm Dedede's castle, and beat the living daylights out of him (it wasn't Dedede who stole the shortcake).

Dedede deserved it anyway, which is fun :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

An, Squeak Squad. The first thing Kirby does after his dessert is stolen is to immediately run off, storm Dedede's castle, and beat the living daylights out of him (it wasn't Dedede who stole the shortcake).

I love this entire post.

Also, somewhat related, I really did appreciate the twist near the end of Kirby's Adventure.

Mega64 posted:

Kirby Lore is a Legit Thing. There's good reason why whenever a cataclysm happens in a Smash game, Kirby is always the last one standing.

I always thought it was because both Smash and Kirby are Sakurai's. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I have way too many loving Nintendo Switch games (mostly digital)
Love buying games for this thing