Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Bullet Train jumps up several stars when you imagine Michael Shannon's complex reactions as he learned about and then portrayed his anime as gently caress character.
Him showing up in the last act as basically a Cowboy Bebop villain was just beautiful.

Especially the fact that He's the kind of villain who will play a game of Russian roulette with your life but also take his own turns with the revolver as well lmao. You do gotta hand it to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The A-Team and The Losers came out around the same time and I remember The Losers being better but it's been long enough that I can't be sure. I think they both end at the Port of LA?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is almost all I remember about The Losers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7VmYQLiwIo

That, and Idris Elba getting blown up.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gonz posted:

This is almost all I remember about The Losers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7VmYQLiwIo

That, and Idris Elba getting blown up.

Chris Evans sure likes being in comic book movies.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It felt like they cast Evans before he started working out to be Captain America and then he showed up having gained 30 lbs of muscle. His character doesn’t fit his body type at all.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Watching Speed, and while I know composer Mark Mancina is a Hans Zimmer associate, I feel like a lot of late 90s onwards Zimmer-isms are lifted straight from this score. Did Zimmer produce anything that sounds like this beforehand, or did he rip off his buddy?

I feel like this might be one of the most influential action movie scores ever.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 12, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There might be something mark mancinay before hand but I’m not sure. Bad Boys, Speed-2 and Twister all have a very similar vibe and they’re all incredible in their own ways.

Bad Boys 2’s biggest issue is the lack of Mancina. And For Life’s biggest asset is that theme back loud and proud

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The A-Team and The Losers came out around the same time and I remember The Losers being better but it's been long enough that I can't be sure. I think they both end at the Port of LA?

The Losers super drags for me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

No conversation about The A-Team is complete without mentioning how amazingly slimy Patrick Wilson is. He steals every scene he's in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He's so good in it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Bad Boys 2’s biggest issue is the lack of Mancina. And For Life’s biggest asset is that theme back loud and proud

One hundred percent.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Land mine scene in Bad Boys 2 is an all-timer. It shows both the senseless and senselessly lethal US munitions and the perfection of our protagonists evading death. Pure movie excess, like the corpse with the giant tits for no reason but a joke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bad Boys 2 is amazing excess cinema

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CelticPredator posted:

There might be something mark mancinay before hand but I’m not sure. Bad Boys, Speed-2 and Twister all have a very similar vibe and they’re all incredible in their own ways.

I spent several minutes on Spotify looking for Mark Mancina's Bad Boys For Life score before discovering he didn't actually do it, but it was Lorne Balfe instead. I wasn't really familiar with him as a composer, so I checked out some of his stuff.

Bad Boys For Life: Mark Mancina's original cues, with rapid "dunna-dunna-dunna" violin filler and a choir.
Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning: Lalo Schifin's original cues, with rapid "dunna-dunna-dunna" violin filler and a choir.
Top Gun Maverick: Harold Faltermeyer's original cues, with rapid - wait a minute. (No choir this time, though.)

I definitely blame Hans Zimmer for the post-Batman ideal of action scores being just a backdrop of rapidly sawing violins with gradually rising BIG NOTES to show that Things Are Happening. I'd take James Horner self-cannibalising Battle Beyond The Stars for the 17th time any day.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly I’d take that over a composer just doing their own thing. I really enjoy a musical through line through films and it always bums me out when they just negate it.

A big one for me which ironically is the same composer we’re talking about how, pacific rim uprising. Movie was bad, bht it was worse without that killer score. It was just another bland part of a bland movie.

I pretty much only listen to movie scores so most of the time I’ll throw on those more than the film lol.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I was just reminded of this. Are they still together? Anyway, this should have been the premise for The Fall Guy

https://twitter.com/NEEMOAHTOAD/status/1790140971113435559

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

High Warlord Zog posted:

I was just reminded of this. Are they still together? Anyway, this should have been the premise for The Fall Guy

Props to miller for not excusing Hardy's behavior, but also framing it for what it is, that Hollywood is just naturally going to have primadonna weirdos because for whatever reason those people can also be extremely good actors. Hardy was great in the movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

High Warlord Zog posted:

Spoilers for Furiosa one of Max's stunt actors, Jacob Tomuri, plays him in the new film, replacing Tom Hardy. I do not know if it's the one mentioned above.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CelticPredator posted:

A big one for me which ironically is the same composer we’re talking about how, pacific rim uprising. Movie was bad, bht it was worse without that killer score. It was just another bland part of a bland movie.
I listened to that too, and lol: it's full of rapidly sawing violins and rising BIG NOTES.

Jigga-jigga-jigga-jigga BWUMMMM jigga-jigga-jigga-jigga BWAAAAMM jigga-jigga-jigga-jiggaAAAH- [abrupt silence as Something Happens onscreen] VREEEEEEMMM jigga-jigga-jigga-jigga BOMMMMMMM. It's boilerplate music, with nothing memorable or unexpected about it at all.

Is it just that Balfe is a very unimaginative composer, or are producers and directors telling him "give me nothing but thudding audio wallpaper so I can hear the explosions and shouted dialog"?

(Also lol that while I was typing this, the Pacific Rim Uprising score on Spotify that I was listening to finished and moved on to M:I Fallout, and I didn't even realize the scores had changed until two tracks in, they're that similar in style.)

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

saw fall guy. thought it was entertaining. some of the bits are hilarious. the prop gun blank fight was my favorite bit i think

ateam is great. pike just being a menace the whole time was wonderful

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I love the bit where they've captured Pike, and they're doing the most incompetent execution attempt in the back of a car. The henchman can't figure out how to get the suppressor on, calls it a silencer, Pike is nagging the henchman constantly, and then starts begging for someone else to kill him, instead. Just a throwaway scene filled with lots of great little bits.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arnold on the rumor that he’s used a dialogue coach to avoid losing his accent:

quote:

I don’t know where this came from, but I absolutely don’t have a speech coach to keep my accent. I do have a friend I read lines with before movies (I always want the full script memorized before I show up on set, so we go through all of my scenes and move around and change the setting so I’m locked in) and work with before my speeches, but normally he is telling me I am mispronouncing English words, so it is the opposite.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/s/ytKhZM8ovZ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mentioned seeing Kill at a screening last year, thought it had a limited release and disappeared but it's just now getting a wider one. Definitely catch it if you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

null_pointer posted:

I love the bit where they've captured Pike, and they're doing the most incompetent execution attempt in the back of a car. The henchman can't figure out how to get the suppressor on, calls it a silencer, Pike is nagging the henchman constantly, and then starts begging for someone else to kill him, instead. Just a throwaway scene filled with lots of great little bits.

Lol I spend a minute trying to find that scene on YouTube with no success. Still lives in my head