Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flight is a really good movie! Granted 2012 is a decade and change ago. I still keep an eye on Zemeckis.

Speaking of Ridley Scott, I'm taking an official poll on Gladiator theatrical vs the extended edition, cast your vote in here.

Also, Gladiator 2, that's gonna be wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't seen it but his more recent movie Anna is about secret assassins pretending to be supermodels, which as a concept is such a big Yikes nowadays without even factoring in what a disgusting POS Besson is. It's like making an action movie with a bad-rear end child soldier.

I can't help but think it was already done in Zoolander. And Hitman. (Which is another fun one given one of the targets in that mission is fairly clearly a riff on Ghislaine Maxwell, being an obvious Mossad op using honey traps to gain intel and blackmail and perform assassinations)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Heavy Metal posted:

Flight is a really good movie! Granted 2012 is a decade and change ago. I still keep an eye on Zemeckis.

Speaking of Ridley Scott, I'm taking an official poll on Gladiator theatrical vs the extended edition, cast your vote in here.

Extended edition by far

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't help but think it was already done in Zoolander. And Hitman. (Which is another fun one given one of the targets in that mission is fairly clearly a riff on Ghislaine Maxwell, being an obvious Mossad op using honey traps to gain intel and blackmail and perform assassinations)

Mossad op using honeytraps is deep loving well dating to back from for Ghislaine Maxwell was born, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying there's a lot of other things they might be referencing instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Air Skwirl posted:

Mossad op using honeytraps is deep loving well dating to back from for Ghislaine Maxwell was born, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying there's a lot of other things they might be referencing instead.

I mean more that the target specifically resembles Ghislaine Maxwell somewhat physically as well as in role and history. Quite a few of the targets are like that. There's also a couple of wealthy black conservative socialites who are basically a riff on Lara Croft. (and one of them has an on-off relationship with a blatant Nathan Drake riff)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Heavy Metal posted:

Alien Covenant

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

Alien Covenant

I have seen that! The Fassbender flute scene was funny.

And on top of Gladiator (thanks for the take above), do you have an opinion on My Sassy Girl (2001) versus the director's cut folks. I tell ya, as a man with OCD, I'm just like losing it with these director's cuts where when you google it you get 50/50 answers on which one to watch. It's too much pressure folks. It is too hard to just make one bad version and one good version.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 13, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:stat: Now, why do they call them "director's cuts?"

:wal: Because they're all hacks!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Three is that there are massively diminishing returns on style and novelty.

I sometimes feel back for Wes Anderson in that his style is so distinctive (knolling frames, dead-pan acting) that I feel it's easy to dismiss a lot the substance (interesting quirky characters, emotionally resonate arcs) that makes his best stuff hum. Last two films aren't doing him any favors, but there's so much more going on in them than symmetrical framing.

The Peccadillo posted:

Lucy was pretty charming. The gently caress were the triads gonna do with a narcotic that turns you into God

Was expecting Morgan Freeman to actually be the mastermind behind, or at least supplying the mafia in this flick. They never really address if the triad knows the drug turns you into a god, if they've seen this before, or if they had any idea it would do that to someone.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The latter at least revels in being insane, she gets brain powers that let her travel back in time and meet the early hominid Lucy.

This had me laughing. If "the first human" had a name, it sure as poo poo wasn't Lucy. Not to mention that that wasn't the first human, it's just the oldest bones we discovered. It's so, so, so stupid. But the kind of stupid that you can't help but salute.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

They never really address if the triad knows the drug turns you into a god, if they've seen this before, or if they had any idea it would do that to someone.

They have that one guy test the drug in front of Lucy and seem to mistake his laughter for the drug just loving him up like drugs usually do. They also have no idea how to handle Lucy later on. Not explicit, but they seem pretty clueless.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I’d always wondered why Heather Graham is so good in Childrens Hospital but so unmemorable in other roles

Laughed a lot when I realised this works on two levels, well done

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffleman_ posted:

lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Laughed a lot when I realised this works on two levels, well done

This is an Angie Tribecca joke, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is an Angie Tribecca joke, right?

I was thinking of that it could either be mixing up Childrens Hospital and Scrubs or mixing up Heather Graham and Malin Akerman

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

and also My Sassy Girl (2001) versus the directors cut folks

Well, on the one hand it makes a bloated film even more bloated (seriously, a 137 minutes long romantic comedy???), but on the other hand I wouldn't want to miss the scenes in the longer version. So... director's cut.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

I was thinking of that it could either be mixing up Childrens Hospital and Scrubs or mixing up Heather Graham and Malin Akerman

ah. it was the later. Well, nevermind about everything I said.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Gladiator 2

We'll never get to see the Nick Cave script on the big screen, but we did get a pretty good concept album out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mJsoOzdtSo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Amy Adams' willingness to just do whatever is highly appealing in an actor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Heavy Metal posted:

How could anyone watch Gladiator without the grain reserves subplot??

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Amy Adams' willingness to just do whatever is highly appealing in an actor.

She rules

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

:yeah :allears:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw her show up in Drop Dead Gorgeous

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

She was the one okay part of hillbilly elegy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jay Rust posted:

She was the one okay part of hillbilly elegy

Yeah absolutely. Acted the pants off it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gaius Marius posted:

She's in some of my most rewatched scenes from Boogie Nights.

I can’t believe I have to say this

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How could anyone watch Gladiator without the grain reserves subplot??

I think I have only ever seen Gladiator on tv broadcasts. So I didn't even know I was missing out on grain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i really liked Amy Adams in Junebug way back when, think it was her first oscar nomination? great soundtrack by Yo La Tengo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1790088405566591461

Edgar Wright is going to kill wokeness.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As long as someone else is writing it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I liked Barbarella but there’s certainly room for improvement. I would be cautiously optimistic about a remake.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

They're gonna have to zip-tie drunk guys' hands going into this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I liked Barbarella but there’s certainly room for improvement.

disagree.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They can cut down on the number of times the story essentially restarts fresh because she crashes her spaceship and needs to find a local to fix it again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Duran Duran could do the soundtrack!

Thanks for the movie tips folks

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The idea of an Edgar Wright sex comedy romp is instinctively unappealing to me.

The balance had shifted, and dreck has been dominant for too long! The boring-rear end competence of Planet Ape 4 is exactly what the world needs right now. We need blockbusters that are without egregious flaws and just mildly stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Most "Director's cut" aren't actually done by the director. Hell the Director's Cut for Dune was so far gone from the Director's vision for the movie David Lynch took his name off it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Need a drat Master's to figure out which version of Blade Runner to watch

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Just pick one at random, the differences aren’t that big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This had me laughing. If "the first human" had a name, it sure as poo poo wasn't Lucy. Not to mention that that wasn't the first human, it's just the oldest bones we discovered. It's so, so, so stupid. But the kind of stupid that you can't help but salute.

Also Lucy wasn't human, she's australopithecus afarensis