Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Batterypowered7 posted:

The mother has been dead the entire time and he's basically asking his kids permission to go bang Robin.

Worst part is that they spent the entire last season fleshing her out as a genuinely good character that makes you root for her to get together with Ted.

Actual other worst part is that had shot an alternate ending with her being alive and happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I keep trying to watch it, but I get sidetracked. I don't have much opportunity for TV these days.

Edit: I really want to re-watch Saving Private Ryan, because I didn't realize all the actors that were in it when I first saw it 25 years ago (Vin Diesel, Nathan Phillion, Bryan Cranston, Paul Giamatti, Ted loving Dansen)

seeing Saving Private Ryan in the theater with my family owned because my sister had huge crushes on Vin Diesel and Giovanni Ribisi and LOL at their characters' fates.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Serene Dragon posted:

Would you want to date Ross for more than a few episodes?

No, but I wouldn't have minded dating Aisha Tyler for more episodes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Worst part is that they spent the entire last season fleshing her out as a genuinely good character that makes you root for her to get together with Ted.

Actual other worst part is that had shot an alternate ending with her being alive and happy.

Isn't the joke of the last episode that his children find his winging so insufferable that they give him their blessing to go gently caress their aunt if only to get him to shut up and go away?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

The mother has been dead the entire time and he's basically asking his kids permission to go bang Robin.

lol sorry what???

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Anyway, some content.

AITA for setting up a “just in case” fund for my daughter?

quote:

My daughter has been married to her husband for 3 years and they recently had their first child. The entire time they’ve been married, she’s been a housewife and now she’s a stay at home mom with no plans to return to work. I think that’s fine and have been supportive. I also know she and her husband both have sizeable life insurance policies so if god forbid, one dies, they’ll be okay.

However, she also signed a prenup. Which again, I think is smart. But according to my daughter, she’d get a very small settlement. And even with child support, there’s a good chance she’d have to return to work. And after being out of the workforce for a bit, who knows if that’ll be a challenge. My main worry is my niece fell into this scenario and even with child support, she struggled.

So, my husband (her father) and I set up a “just in case” account. If she and her husband divorce, she’ll have money to fall back on just in case. If they remain married past the time my husband and I die, it’ll just be added to what she’ll inherit.

I didn’t intend on telling her about it unless it happened but my husband pointed out that if she was ever in a situation where she wanted to leave but worried she financially couldn’t, it’d be good for her to know she has a Plan B.

So, we told her and she was a little surprised. She said she appreciated it but felt we were “rooting against her”. I said we love her husband and hope they have a long, healthy marriage. We have always been supportive. But this is similar to the prenup. A just in case. A last resort.

Well, she told her husband and he’s pissed at us as well, saying that we don’t trust him. I said it’s looking out for our daughter and really is no different from the prenup. I added that just as he’ll always want to protect his daughter, we’ll always want to protect ours.

AITA?

Should have put it in a go bag.

AITA for not feeling sorry for my wife when exactly what I told her would happen happened.

quote:

We have an old house. There is a five inch wide horizontal ledge on the stairway to the basement.

She likes to store stuff there. I have been telling her for years it's a bad idea. Whenever I go downstairs to do laundry or put away groceries in our pantry I make sure that ledge is empty.

She always says that it's just handy and that she always means to clean it up. I find all kinds of crap there. Bottles, jars, open boxes of garbage bags, lighter fluid, you name it.

She came in from the back yard where she was gardening to use the bathroom. On her way out she went downstairs for something. I heard her fall and then scream.

After we got home from the hospital where they reattached her toe I asked her why she she thought that leaving her garden shears there was a good idea.

She says that I'm being an rear end in a top hat for saying "I told you so". I didn't. I just asked her why she did it.

I feel very bad that she got injured. I feel terrible that she feels dumb for leaving ba heavy, sharp object where it could fall easily. I feel lovely that I didn't see them in time to put them somewhere safe.

None of that means what happened wasn't entirely predictable and entirely her fault.

Once again for the cheap seat I DID NOT SAY I TOLD YOU SO.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for asking about her thought process?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

lol sorry what???

The final episode is set in 2030 and reveals that the wife died in 2024 and this entire time he's been explaining to his kids how he's got such great chemistry with Robin even though he really loved their mother.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Benagain posted:

I mean there was a pretty good running bit where everytime he gave marriage or relationship advice the other characters would just go "really? From you?"

"I'm telling you Deandra, if you wanted money you should have stuck with that Jew doctor"

"Goddamnit Frank if you care about Ross's money that much why don't YOU marry him?"

"...Maybe I will."

Smash cut to title card.

Or even: "Maureen's getting married again!? TO WHO?!" and you pan over to Ross walking into Paddy's wearing a tux. poo poo practically writes itself.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FMguru posted:

Sounds like this story from earlier in the thread:

AITA for faking a serious eye injury, making my mom faint, and ruining my birthday party.

Oops yeah it was this one & I misremembered. Still good tho!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
General Bullshit › r/relationships: it sounds like I'm having sex with a parrot or malfunctioning robot

lol just noticed the thread title

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

General Bullshit › r/relationships: it sounds like I'm having sex with a parrot or malfunctioning robot

lol just noticed the thread title

Congrats on your sex.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Baronjutter posted:

If the message is progressive and it's actually funny, its Golden Girls.
If the scripts all have a strong evangelical christian moral message and it's not funny, it's Gilmore Girls.

What the hell are you talking about? Did we watch the same show? The main characters are outspoken agnostics, waspy vague Episcopalians, and one mean seventh day adventist. It’s mostly about Lorelai dropping deep cut pop culture references like Family Guy without the cutaways, and Rory being really smart and extremely stupid at the same time.

It’s me, the Gilmore Girls defender. I recently watched all of it with my wife and tween kid and it was good.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Thanks for coming to my Tedx talk.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

axolotl farmer posted:

It’s me, the Gilmore Girls defender. I recently watched all of it with my wife and tween kid and it was good.

My favorite GIlmore Girls episode is where the entire episode is about this debt problem Lorelai is in and then at the very end of the episode, her father sits her down and says "Oh yeah, you didn't know this but I had this property in your name and I sold it so here is the money you need to erase that debt problem. No, there was no indication this was happening."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Gilmore Girls is for parents and their kids. Everyone I know who loves it, it's because they watched it with their mom, or they watched it with their kid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AITA being pissed at what my wife said to our niece

quote:

My sister and bil were abusive parents to my niece, Charlotte. I always tried to protect her, but my wife and I were only able to get custody threw years ago. We adopted her, and she's a good kid at heart, but she still struggles a lot. She's still in therapy and has come so far, but finds it difficult to accept unconditional love and that kids don't have to be perfect. While she's usually fine with my wife and I, she still sometimes tends to see our daughter (Chloe) as ungrateful and spoilt. I've worked really hard on this, and it's a LOT better, but sometimes it comes up in their teenage squabbles. It's not perfect but the girls generally get along.

Last Friday they had an issue. I was at work, so this is based on what I was told after. Chloe was refusing to do any of her chores, and arguing about it with my wife. Charlotte jumped in and basically called Chloe lazy and said that she should be a better daughter like her. Apparently my wife got pissed off and told her off. She 'reminded' her that she was 'lucky' we were taking care of her and to stay out of it. From there it got bad.

My wife says that Charlotte was extremely rude about Chloe. But she also admits she told Charlotte that we 'didnt have to' take care of her, and that basically unlike Chloe, we can send her back to her parents if she keeps it up. Ignoring the fact we legally cannot, that's just completely hosed up. They ended their fight with Charlotte just going to my parents for that night, and she's been really upset and withdrawn since.

When I got home my wife filled me in, and I was honestly pretty furious. The first thing that came to mind was 'what the gently caress is wrong with you?'. Which admittedly wasn't a productive response but I was honestly just floored. The issue is that Charlotte doesn't get that a kid deserves unconditional love even if they're not perfect, so you loving tell her that you'll kick her out if she doesn't behave? All the progress I worked with her for is gonna be shut back again.

I was mad and we fought about it. I get she can be difficult, but that was inappropriate. However she's still refused to apologise or anything. I've tried to talk to her and explain that we love her, and that it wasn't meant the way it was said. But my wife is just accusing me of babying and favouring Charlotte. Apparently I'm being unreasonable thinking what she did was disgusting. That I should care more about Chloe, as if this is a competition.

I am still honestly pretty pissed at her. While she just claims I'm unreasonable and being a poo poo dad to Chloe.

UPDATE: AITA pissed at what my wife said to my niece

quote:

First I want to thank everyone for their responses. It was helpful, even some I disagreed with. While things aren't perfect, they're both good kids and my wife is making amends for what she did.

Since then my wife and I have been in therapy. She's apologised and tried fix it with Charlotte, but she lost a lot of trust with what she said. Even now it's not back to what it was. The therapy is helping, and she realised just how wrong it was.

Charlotte has mostly gone back to normal around me, though a bit clingier. I've made it clear I'll always love and be there for her. And I've been making it clear it's unconditional, and she doesn't have to be perfect or 'deserve' it. She's obviously still in therapy and getting help. The girls have had some stupid fights since, but nothing like last time. Charlotte initially distanced herself, but Chloe got her back to normal quicker than my wife and I. She was really there for Charlotte. When she wants to be, she can be really thoughtful. Chloe is doing fine. I made sure to talk to her and she doesn't have an issue with Charlotte. As usual she basically said Charlotte can be annoying but she loves her, a normal sister.

It's not perfect, but improving. I think my wife's actions were a mistake, but they were from the situation rather than about Charlotte herself. All the little issues built up and she exploded. She didn't realise how much it grew to bother her. She's made it clear she knows Charlotte is our daughter now and that it was a horrible mistake. We are working to fix it. If she really can't handle it I will have to leave for Charlotte's sake, but I think our progress is promising so far.

Now I want to clarify some things:

Charlotte did have issues with women. However this wasn't her being rude per se. The issue was that she was terrified. She would basically be silent and overly obedient, but clearly scared and unwilling to open up. With me she let her guard down quicker to let me love and help her. For my wife it took months for more than one word answers and almost two year to stop the fear. Back talking and interjections were a problem, but because she was comfortable with my wife, not the opposite.

I was heavily involved in raising the girls. I didn't leave it to my wife. I just happened to be working late that day, other days it's my wife working and me with the girls. Further, there are consequences for misbehaving. We just had a bigger issue that night.

Overall, thank you for the advice. I hope things keep getting better, even if it's slow.

AITAH for waking out on my “adoptive daughter” and telling her everything is her fault

quote:

So I (36f) have two kids a boy Tom (5) and a Sarah daughter (18) plus my husbands late brothers kid (16f) Kelly who lives with us

14 months ago my husband came home with Kelly and said she would be staying with us for a while, I barely knew kelly because since her father passed away 10 years ago her mom has been struggling with mental health and addiction. Apparently Kelly was in a bad situation at home due to her mother’s new boyfriend being a let’s say not so nice person. He told me it was only for 3 months while his parents who recently moved aboard got settled than it went to 5 till his sister had her baby just excuse after excuse till I stopped asking. as time went on my husband just acted like she was our daughter even bringing up adoption a few times which I refused even when he threatened divorce. I know I sound like a monster but you have to realise Kelly isn’t easy to deal with and my husband doesn’t allow her to face any kind of consequences

Kelly acts like she is the golden child and my daughter is the black sheep, she has violent meltdowns, she’s threatened our son that my husband will leave us if she tells him because he loves her more which traumatised Tom. she has tried and failed her mind games with me pretending to be a saint, her main target is my daughter she is extremely cruel towards her verbally like she’ll slut shame her for everything little thing like wearing make up or tell her she’s lazy/good for nothing for stupid reasons like sleeping late at the weekends

She’ll take her things ether will loss them or destroy them than cry to my husband who will excuse her behaviour even tho he spends 70% of his time at work. We are all in therapy which isn’t working like group sessions when someone points out Kelly’s behaviour or adoption usually end up with everyone fighting

It all came to a head last month Kelly was in a mood all week because Sarah had a big 18th party with all the attention on Sarah especially from my family which Kelly said mentioned in therapy. myself and Sarah were having a stupid “fight” over a non issue because Sarah used all my shampoo which she didn’t replace or let me know I was out of. Kelly came out of nowhere screaming at Sarah calling her a moocher,lazy,trash and spoiled she than said Sarah was an adult now and she didn’t pull her weight she’d get kicked out

I lost it I told her Sarah was my daughter and If she didn’t change her attitude she’d be the one kicked out, Kelly didn’t say anything just went into her room about an hour later my husband came back than started screaming literally i my face calling me names telling me he wants a divorce so he can protect Kelly. so I said ok I want a divorce and 50/50 custody I get my son he gets his niece now get the gently caress out of my house with his niece

They left and have been staying with his brother since, husband now has to deal with Kelly all the time he wants more therapy to fix our issues so we can get back together and be a family again. They both came over yesterday to collect the last of their stuff and Kelly asked me was it her fault I said yes it was just as much her fault as her uncles (husband)

Husband told me I’m being a monster and Kelly is my daughter whether I admit it or not and I’ve abandoned her when she finally had a stable home that she doesn’t mean to lash out due it’s just due to her trauma and if we work together we can help her work through it

Honestly now I don’t know what to do and feel like an rear end in a top hat

Update AITAH for waking out on my “adoptive daughter” and telling her everything is her fault

quote:

So yes the divorce is going forward even tho my husband has begged me to stay because he can’t handle the consequences of his actions and yes he is aitata8482828 he did change a few details and yes this isn’t our first follow out with me blowing up kelly isn’t my daughter and I wanted her out due to THEIR mistreated of Sarah we nearly got divorced last year but he used therapy and my emotional abuse as a tool to manipulate me to stay

Sarah hasn’t spoken much to her father since the first fall out because as people mentioned even on his post leaving a lot out about Kelly and just putting down Sarah it was clear who he only cares about. Sarah said she wants nothing to do with him and has warned family to but out. I’m sick of his emotional and mental abuse towards us for his niece and his threats of divorce to get his way so I hope he makes this easy on everyone

Yes Kelly has had a bad childhood and has suffered but she isn’t my problem anymore I want zero contact with her and will make sure she won’t have contact with my son. I’ve plenty of evidence and witnesses to make it happen I can sound cruel but she can gently caress right off she isn’t my kid so I don’t owe her a relationship and regardless of how bad her trauma is she has no right to traumatise others. She could of had a life in america with her grandparents but she refused to learn English

As for my husband being her real dad that’s irrelevant to me because I won’t get the truth and would only cause more issues for my kids who’ve been through enough

Thanks to everyone for the adivce I won’t be logging in after tonight and as I’ve said in the comments English isn’t my first language

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the reboot miniseries Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is amazing because it’s like four feature length movies of Rory cratering her life worse and worse because it turns out being cute and precocious isn’t much of a career path in adulthood

Lorelei mostly gets her poo poo together and starts acting like an adult and Rory just spirals.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
An entire multigenerational family is run like a kids treehouse club.

AITA for telling my DIL her feelings are not my problem and for gently caress sakes you don’t need to be invited to everything

quote:

I will keep this as short as possible.The family has a code word that means to met up at my home because there is bad news. So emergency family meeting. This is something that is extremely rare and it means to drop what you are doing and get over as soon as possible. It is only an invite for the kids, no in-laws are invited. This was discussed and agreed upon by everyone. This was due to everyone being most comfortable with sharing bad news with their siblings and not having to be polite with the in laws.

For example my daughter used the code word and it was an emergency family meeting. She was getting a divorce and needed help. After everyone fills in their spouses but not all the gritty details.

This happened today, an emergency meeting was called by my husband. In short he needs surgery, I won’t go into more than that. Everyone left and I got a call from my DIL upset that she wasn’t invited to the meeting.

I asked if she knew what theses were and she told me my son explained it. She reiterated that she should still be invited and I am excluding her. That she is upset and expects and invite next time

I told her that her feelings arent my problem, and for gently caress sales you don’t need to be invited to everything. She called me a jerk.

My son told me he will deal with it but I could have been nicer
LMAO at having a family secret code word, and getting all huffy and spitting swears when called on it.

DIL should pointedly refuse to involve her MIL in things going forward (baby showers, birth announcements, christenings) and saying "for gently caress sales you don’t need to be invited to everything" when MIL complains.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That doesn't seem terrible. I don't want to be invited to an in-law family meeting where I find out someone is getting divorced or needs major surgery or whatever. They want to tell everyone at the same time and get support in person. Sounds fine?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

An entire multigenerational family is run like a kids treehouse club.

AITA for telling my DIL her feelings are not my problem and for gently caress sakes you don’t need to be invited to everything

LMAO at having a family secret code word, and getting all huffy and spitting swears when called on it.

DIL should pointedly refuse to involve her MIL in things going forward (baby showers, birth announcements, christenings) and saying "for gently caress sales you don’t need to be invited to everything" when MIL complains.

Nah, the meetings they’re doing aren’t the same as actual family events.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, you don't need a loving codeword for that. Communicate like adults.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica
I've got a posting emergency. All mods to my house please

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sounds like they did communicate like adults and came up with a code word as shorthand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, there could be plenty of missing info, but if e.g. my dad wants to call just me and my brother to the house so he can share some bad news about his health, I can't see my spouse getting indignant about being excluded.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I always get Gilmore Girls and Gossip Girl mixed up (i never watched either)

OceanCyclone posted:

Actual quote from post comments:

That reminds me, I need to check the date of the next meeting of the Clam Collusion Cabal to make sure it isn't double booked with my Parasite Slumlord meet up.

I sure thats all from an incel subreddit, but i honestly did read it as coming from a landlord subreddit at first.

FMguru posted:

I'm just thrown by the use of codewords and the secrecy. Wouldn't it be easier to just do a conference call or a group skype or something? Don't they have phones?

Still, I will have a small chuckle at OP not wanting to share intimate details with the in-laws, but is completely fine to tell reddit all of the details instead.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Every person in that family thinks they're a spy and when the codeword comes in they're imagining a montage of everyone getting the text and abandoning whatever they're doing to speed to headquarters.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my friend that her business proposal seems unfair to me and I don't really *need* her to open up an Etsy?

This corn planting idiot doesn't appreciate her friend's corn eating skills

This reminds me of a scheme my brother-in-law [now ex-BIL] cooked up:

I’d drive a van around, doing IT house calls a-la Geek Squad before there was Geek Squad, and Mike would sit at home, handling marketing and advertising, answering phones, and “doing dispatch”. We’d split the profits 50/50.

I said yeah no. One: I had a job that paid far moth more than this would. Two: In this business model I could replace him with my Nokia cell phone and take 100% of the profits.

Get hosed, leech.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 15, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I had no idea the ending of How I Met Your Mother was that :whitewater:

Also Gilmore Girls was terrible already, but holy poo poo the 4 part reunion shows made zero sense lmao

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Another good movie with David Schwimmer (and Simon Pegg!) was The Big Nothing.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Agrikk posted:

This reminds me of a scheme my brother-in-law [now ex-BIL] cooked up:

I’d drive a van around, doing IT house calls a-la Geek Squad before there was Geek Squad, and Mike would sit at home, handling marketing and advertising, answering phones, and “doing dispatch”. We’d split the profits 50/50.

I said yeah no. One: I had a job that paid far moth than this would. Two: In this business model I could replace him with my Nokia cell phone and take 100% of the profits.

Get hosed, leech.

how many moths did you get

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I am a little surprised at the number of anecdotes I've heard where someone is like "I have an idea. You should make a website that's like Facebook but better. We split the profits 50/50 because it was my idea."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Chewbecca posted:

Also Gilmore Girls was terrible already, but holy poo poo the 4 part reunion shows made zero sense lmao

The reunion makes perfect sense, because Rory was pretty awful and self absorbed in the main run of the show and continues to be that ten years on. Only now she's an independent adult and has actual consequences from being awful.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Paris and Sean Gunn are the two best parts of Gilmore Girls.

Oh, and Sebastian Bach.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

kdrudy posted:

Paris and Sean Gunn are the two best parts of Gilmore Girls.

Sean Gunn repeatedly annoying Luke specifically

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH for calling my colleague a diversity hire after she called me a nepo baby?

quote:

I’ve been working at a mid-sized software company for the last six years. It was my first job out of university, and I’ve enjoyed my time here immensely. I was also fortunate enough to be in line for a promotion when my former department head was about to retire, and the bosses upstairs decided that I would be a fine choice for his old position.

About eight months ago, the company hired a young woman, Shauna. Shauna was hired fresh out of university, just like me.

I didn’t know what it was, but from her very first day at the company, Shauna seemed to truly dislike me. Despite the fact that I outranked her, she never treated me with an ounce of respect, would flat-out ignore me when I talked to her, and would interrupt me when I was talking to someone else.

Well, last Friday, my workplace was having a little after-work gathering. Both Shauna and I tagged along, although I did notice her intentionally sit at the opposite end of the table from me. Well, the conversation turned to how we got hired, and everyone told their story. When it was my turn I started explaining my process, and Shauna interrupted me, sarcastically saying, “step one: be the company owner’s relative.” Everyone was incredibly confused, including me.

I asked Shauna what she meant, and she snappily responded “Yeah, enough from the nepo baby.” I finally figured it out at that point. The company owner and I share the same last name. It’s in the top 20 last names in the USA, so it’s not exactly a huge coincidence, but Shauna assumed that I was hired/promoted because I was his son, nephew, or something.

I loudly out, “Dude, you think I’m related to the owner? Is this why you’ve hated me all this time?” The woman next to her explained that the owner and I aren’t related in any way, shape, or form, and Shauna kind of laughed about it. Then I said, “Yeah, that’s also rich coming from a diversity hire.” Shauna got really upset about this, and 10 minutes later excused herself.

The other women at the table said that I went too far, to which I answered that I was treated like dirt for eight months because she was too stupid to consider the possibility of our identical last names being a coincidence. Shauna called in sick today.

Was I the rear end in a top hat here?

OP in no way should be managing anyone, and Shauna is really loving stupid for saying what she did if that's what she thought. Both of them need to be in front of HR and smacked down hard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chewbecca posted:

Also they filmed the ending during Season 2 so every character reverts to how they were in season 2, even though the show was on like season loving 10.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Also they filmed the ending during Season 2 so every character reverts to how they were in season 2, even though the show was on like season loving 10.

I thought they only filmed the part with the teenagers since they weren't going to be teenagers 10 years later... And even then you don't see Ted/Bob Saget with them.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Fil5000 posted:

The reunion makes perfect sense, because Rory was pretty awful and self absorbed in the main run of the show and continues to be that ten years on. Only now she's an independent adult and has actual consequences from being awful.

I worded poorly. It makes logical sense I guess from a narrative perspective, but in terms of a show's ending it was an unpleasant ending for an unpleasant and narcissistic person. I get it but I didn't enjoy watching a main character be extra lovely and not deliver on any of the earlier promise they displayed. .

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Quackles posted:

Tired: Band of Brothers
Wired: Brand of Bothers

Inspired: Banned of Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA being pissed at what my wife said to our niece

UPDATE: AITA pissed at what my wife said to my niece

AITAH for waking out on my “adoptive daughter” and telling her everything is her fault

Update AITAH for waking out on my “adoptive daughter” and telling her everything is her fault
Man, this was an unpleasant read. Honestly it sounds like Charlotte/Kelly has been through hell, has behavioral issues from that, and the adults in her life are handling it super poorly. The second OP has absolutely resented her from the start, and is thus inclined to frame everything as her being a terrible person, but the first OP also sounds like he handled things poorly because while it's admirable he was determined to get his niece out of a bad situation, it sounds like he tried to do it by just kind of slipping her into the family without caring what his wife thought, and Charlotelly's understandable behavioral issues and need for extra attention turned his daughter into a glass child who feels like her dad just looks right through her. I trust OP 2's recounting of things less because she's really eager to paint a kid really poorly, but even with that in mind she never wanted to be a parental figure to this kid and the fact she felt cornered into that position has just made everything a lot worse.