Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

perfect strangers had eight seasons…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

lumpentroll posted:

perfect strangers had eight seasons…

the thing is: the two leads had this chemistry that was just completely outstanding, unreal, borderline romantic, and its tragic that they werent paired up in more + different movies / tv shows because their chemistry elevates what fundamentally isnt very strong material to something memorable

eight seasons of Perfect Strangers is some consolation but overall it feels like a monument to so many wasted opportunities :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
remember the episode of The Leftovers where Mark Linn Baker shows up playing himself as a travel agent for a purported dimension-traversing device

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that show fucks

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

indigi posted:

remember the episode of The Leftovers where Mark Linn Baker shows up playing himself as a travel agent for a purported dimension-traversing device

he just wanted to be with Balki again :(

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Fighting Elegy posted:

he just wanted to be with Balki again :(

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

indigi posted:

that show fucks

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

indigi posted:

lol at the idea of a rewatch post covid though. can you imagine what it would be like if 2% of the population just... disappeared? well yea, i kinda can

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol the Afghan interpreter sitcom had an episode about the Taliban retaking the country.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

galagazombie posted:

Lol the Afghan interpreter sitcom had an episode about the Taliban retaking the country.

Yeah that's one of the few episodes I caught and it was revolting lol.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Got distracted talking about Home Improvement earlier, but I finished another Discworld book. Jingo this time. I thought this was gonna be a ham-handed Iraq metaphor at first but it didn't turn out to be, and upon further investigation I found it was published in 1997. That'd do it.

As expected, there was a lot in there about the pointlessness and senselessness of war without it being all grimdark like a Joe Abercrombie book or something. Also some decent satire of "fifth-column" wartime racism and a segment where Nobby is disguised as a woman which I wasn't quite sure what to make of but which certainly could have been worse. Good narrative overall, I liked Ahmed, good Angua content but Carrot seemed a bit static. Vimes is always a good character. Liked the part where Vetinari was inexplicably a really good juggler, even if he seemed like an incongruous match for Colon/Nobbs hijinx. Gonna read Soul Music next I think.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If we're doing 90s comedy revivals why is no one going for Austin Powers

you could go super weird and meta with that or keep it obscenely goofy, either way
I think we're ready for it

new austin powers movie but it is about his exposure and canceling for a sex crimes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bedpan posted:

new austin powers movie but it is about his exposure and canceling for a sex crimes

See that's the easy joke but in the very first movie we see him refuse to sleep with his drunk partner

Austin Powers says consent is shagadelic, baby

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

See that's the easy joke but in the very first movie we see him refuse to sleep with his drunk partner

Austin Powers says consent is shagadelic, baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-s_GnUNBw&t=11s

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Austin Powers: Brexit Through the Gape Shop

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

the milk machine posted:

i'm really interested in how your ballsack gets close enough to a running bandsaw blade to "open it up"

Twigand Berries posted:

I will never let anyone watch me jerk off. This technique dies with me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol at the idea of a rewatch post covid though. can you imagine what it would be like if 2% of the population just... disappeared? well yea, i kinda can

tbf we know exactly where covid patients went if they died. it’s not like it was an act of god or something that makes you question reality, it was just a deadly plague

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CaptainBeefart posted:

There's a CBS sitcom starring Mike from Mike & Molly and he lost so much weight it's off-putting to look at him.

ahhhhhhhhhh that's so weird

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

he needs to stick to dramatic work these days and get his oscar before retiring. he should not be doing "goofy comedy" past age 40. he has enough razzies already

He should actually double down and get more Razzies, creating a shortage of Razzies on the collectors market which he can then capitalise on by manipulating the perceived resale value by setting his own prices. If it can work for the good folks down at r/PokeInvesting then it can work for Adam Sandler.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

I do miss the days when every successful IP had a side-scrolling platformer

Like Home Improvement for example

(do not play the Home Improvement side-scrolling platformer, it is bad)

I've heard it wasn't a great game but it was charming, it felt almost like something that Tim Taylor made himself.

Notably, apparently it doesn't come with an instruction manual, near uniquely for the time. But the splash screen when you start up the game says 'REAL MEN DON'T NEED INSTRUCTIONS'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fighting Elegy posted:

I don't even know if I'd call it a parody tbh. Maybe that's just because I usually think parodies have contempt for their inspiration. It is 100 percent "self-aware" though. It creates its own world where people act and talk differently to normal humans, and it has a lot of fun in that world it creates. Maybe a better comparison is Twin Peaks (which also has Kyle Maclachlan). I think David Lynch once said "Twin Peaks is not a parody of soap operas, it is a soap opera".

Desperate Housewives struck me even as a kid as less a parody of soap operas, more a soap opera that's simply doing things differently. Being more self-aware and heavier on the melodrama.

I feel like a key element of a parody isn't contempt- that's entirely optional and arguably not even always a good idea- but simply deliberately invoking the structure and genre elements of a particular media and drawing attention to it through subversion. That's different from just using a genre/setting with a different style of storytelling than people are used to, though a lot of audiences don't really understand the difference.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

it's even better now

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Disappearance is the least important part of The Leftovers so I can easily imagine a rewatch in this, the post-covid world. In fact, I'm imagining it right now

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Actually now I do want to watch it again lol. The Hotel episode ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"Nobody's ready to feel better. They're ready to loving explode." how can you tell me a rewatch post-covid isn't better lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just needed a couple lines about record breaking day after day of stock market growth to really make it seem supernaturally prescient

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DaysBefore posted:

The Disappearance is the least important part of The Leftovers so I can easily imagine a rewatch in this, the post-covid world. In fact, I'm imagining it right now

I rewatched it last year, it still kicks big rear end

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Carrie Coon is so loving good in that show

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is 'I Saw the TV Glow' any good?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DaysBefore posted:

goated with the sauce

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The best pre-covid culture thing to experience from a post-covid perspective is still probably Death Stranding but I know it's the wrong thread for that

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DaysBefore posted:

Reported for slurs

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

loquacius posted:

The best pre-covid culture thing to experience from a post-covid perspective is still probably Death Stranding but I know it's the wrong thread for that

that's a good one yeah

another good post covid revisit is Chernobyl. it's not great or anything but it's funny that when it came out it was pitched as "wow look how dysfunctional the Soviet Union was!" and watching it post-covid, it turns out governments can try to abate a national disaster, if they want to

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

yup

it took me a lil bit to get into it but I'll definitely be replaying before the second one comes out. beautiful story.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the milk machine posted:

that's a good one yeah

another good post covid revisit is Chernobyl. it's not great or anything but it's funny that when it came out it was pitched as "wow look how dysfunctional the Soviet Union was!" and watching it post-covid, it turns out governments can try to abate a national disaster, if they want to

or even movies with hyper-competent governments in the face of disaster like independence day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i uninstalled death stranding when i saw the ghosts for the first time. nobody told me it was a scary game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i say swears online posted:

or even movies with hyper-competent governments in the face of disaster like independence day

I'm reminded of a post in the A/T history thread where the Japanese invasion of Korea was aided by Korean admirals apparently having a policy of scuttling their own fleets at the first excuse

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1790780096279667081

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i uninstalled death stranding when i saw the ghosts for the first time. nobody told me it was a scary game

tbh that's kind of how I felt playing up through the first Higgs fight and that's when I put it down for a little bit, but the ghosts also get less scary and less scary as you deal with them to the point where getting dragged by a BT goes from the adrenaline equivalent of encountering a wild grizzly to like swatting at a bee that's bothering you