Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kit Walker posted:

It's funny how in the hands of a good writer you can take a character with a seemingly lovely power (controls insects) and believably make her into terrifying threat, but in the hands of a bad writer something as powerful as the ability to just produce whatever object or device you want feels weak

Similarly, in High Card, there's an (exceedingly rich) character whose power is that he can instantly turn an amount of money into any object with an equivalent value. He mostly uses it to produce rocket launchers and explosives. I know side characters shouldn't really overshadow the protagonists but like, c'mon. It just makes the protagonists feel incompetent knowing they've got a million clever options at their disposal and having them choose none of them

This is why JoJo owns.
They’ll introduce a villain who’s like “my power is I can raise the human body temperature by 1 degree Celsius if it’s a Wednesday and the sun is hitting the back of my neck and Jupiter is in retrograde” and the protagonist will lose 90% of the blood in their body fighting him and just barely clutch out a win through a desperate final gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Augus posted:

This is why JoJo owns.
They’ll introduce a villain who’s like “my power is I can raise the human body temperature by 1 degree Celsius if it’s a Wednesday and the sun is hitting the back of my neck and Jupiter is in retrograde” and the protagonist will lose 90% of the blood in their body fighting him and just barely clutch out a win through a desperate final gambit.

"Hmhmhm, I lied. I can actually raise it by 2 degrees if the tide is also high"
*camera cuts to all of the protagonists' shocked and terrified faces*

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kit Walker posted:

We'd get a lecture about how proteins denature at certain temperatures and the villain would get weird in their enthusiasm for the subject in their moment of apparent triumph

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Kit Walker posted:

It's funny how in the hands of a good writer you can take a character with a seemingly lovely power (controls insects) and believably make her into terrifying threat, but in the hands of a bad writer something as powerful as the ability to just produce whatever object or device you want feels weak

Similarly, in High Card, there's an (exceedingly rich) character whose power is that he can instantly turn an amount of money into any object with an equivalent value. He mostly uses it to produce rocket launchers and explosives. I know side characters shouldn't really overshadow the protagonists but like, c'mon. It just makes the protagonists feel incompetent knowing they've got a million clever options at their disposal and having them choose none of them

bakugo straight up tells the MC to kill himself as his character introduction and the fans still want him to be a uwu gayboi anyway

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I love how the villains in the Sherry/Brago fight all look like they walked straight out of the most 80's thing imaginable. They had Krang, a guy who looks like the Hulk, some sort of Madonna-looking lady with Piranha Plants attached to her costume, and that dude in the shoulder pads wearing a Space Invaders crop-top shirt.

Speaking of which, the new chapter with Dr. Riddles just dropped on Mangadex and Dr. Rockso has joined the fight out of nowhere.

ROLLING WITCH

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Augus posted:

This is why JoJo owns.

It's absolutely the best part of it yeah. The main part six villain gets got not by being punched out or time stopped or whatever but by a dude using a borrowed stand to give him loving oxygen toxicosis it's the absolute hypest poo poo every fuckin time

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gully Foyle posted:

My Hero would make so much more sense if it took place at university/college level. They go on internships, they live in a dorm, and all the conversation around the women would be so much less bad. Still sexist, but you know, better.

you'd also avoid the part where the school the main cast goes to is basically a glorified child soldier training camp

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

bakugo straight up tells the MC to kill himself as his character introduction and the fans still want him to be a uwu gayboi anyway

The fire and ice guy has this insanely abusive and manipulative family backstory to explain why he's a bit brusque, and Bakugo's horrible bullying nature is explained by coming from a loving normal family but his mom is a bit overly attentive.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the quiet mutant kid only had his backstory revealed last year and it was "oh yeah i spent my childhood in the countryside fearing human mobs were gonna lynch me but nbd"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

the more milfy a superhero's mom is the worse they are as a person

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kit Walker posted:

yeah jojo is the perfect mix of being ridiculous while also taking itself seriously enough

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3GOo_nWoc

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the more milfy a superhero's mom is the worse they are as a person

that reminds me that, when the shithead kid in MHA was supposed to have died (though I bet that in manga fashion, he got better), there was a trend to show his 11/10 milf mom getting banged so she could quickly get another child who would be less of a little poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

January 6 Survivor posted:

that reminds me that, when the shithead kid in MHA was supposed to have died (though I bet that in manga fashion, he got better), there was a trend to show his 11/10 milf mom getting banged so she could quickly get another child who would be less of a little poo poo

How interesting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nobody will post the tall ferret lady but we get regular updates about the latest trends in milf hentai. Normal world.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lot of PYF tankies energy coming off this post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
drat, i didn't even make it through season 1 of mha but it sounds wild maybe i should watch it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gripweed posted:

Nobody will post the tall ferret lady but we get regular updates about the latest trends in milf hentai. Normal world.

someone did post the ferret lady but sure here she is again so you can stop foaming at the mouth

more like a fox than a ferret tbqh

Augus has issued a correction as of 16:01 on May 16, 2024

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:yikes:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Gripweed posted:

The fire and ice guy has this insanely abusive and manipulative family backstory to explain why he's a bit brusque, and Bakugo's horrible bullying nature is explained by coming from a loving normal family but his mom is a bit overly attentive.

Well, animes are a lot like people, comrade poster. Some of them act badly because they’ve had a hard life or have been mistreated. But, like people, some of them are just jerks.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
sorry for irking everybody, won't happen again

also I only watch dubs

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the dead kid got better because the guy who can manipulate denim sewed up his heart with denim and the guy who can do something weird (he can jump into... lines or corners or something and move around) jumped into his heart and I guess manually pumped his blood

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

the dead kid got better because the guy who can manipulate denim sewed up his heart with denim and the guy who can do something weird (he can jump into... lines or corners or something and move around) jumped into his heart and I guess manually pumped his blood

Alright. Ok. You know what? That's pretty good for superhero resurrections.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
what

does the denim guy's power only works with denim? like does it stop working when it's 99% cotton 1% elasthane?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The grape kids superpower is sticky balls

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pretty good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

someone did post the ferret lady but sure here she is again so you can stop foaming at the mouth

Disappointed

Thats a hosed up moomin

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Augus posted:

that is a very cute design tbh.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

what

does the denim guy's power only works with denim? like does it stop working when it's 99% cotton 1% elasthane?

I think he can do other poo poo too but denim is his favorite or something

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ha, ha, woman, what you gonna do?
Your quirk is dangerous & we don't like you.
It's so good that you're feelin' pain
But you better get your face on board the very next train

ORDINARY WOMAN

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Whirling posted:

that is a very cute design tbh.

miles "tails" prower + honkers

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
mha has a lot of memorable and cool looking character designs but god drat do not ever let horikoshi near the writer's seat ever again

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

mha has a lot of memorable and cool looking character designs but god drat do not ever let horikoshi near the writer's seat ever again

mha was only made because his previous manga about battle furries was cancelled and he had a bunch of unused character designs. also he's the world's biggest westaboo and is wrapping up mha to follow his childhood dream of drawing spiderman

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
He would do a mean tmnt comic book

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

yeah he draws a sick leonardo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kitfox88 posted:

He's fiiiiiiiine

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

also he's the world's biggest westaboo and is wrapping up mha to follow his childhood dream of drawing spiderman

People always say this and it sounds like a huge exaggeration for "someone who thinks some western comic stuff is cool" (with this often being expressed in contexts like "interviews with Westerners" where people are directly asking him about it).

MHA itself has far more DNA from other major shounen manga than western comics, with there just being occasional visual references.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

People always say this and it sounds like a huge exaggeration for "someone who thinks some western comic stuff is cool" (with this often being expressed in contexts like "interviews with Westerners" where people are directly asking him about it).

MHA itself has far more DNA from other major shounen manga than western comics, with there just being occasional visual references.

UNITED STATES OF SMASH

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZxLwp76ZdI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I'm just interpreting "westaboo" differently here, since "weeaboo" sort of implies someone who has an unusual interest/knowledge in obscure poo poo from a particular culture's media (and usually also primarily consumes that media). Things like Spiderman or X-Men are major international franchises, and it's not that weird to be a big fan of them as a non-American.

It seems kinda comparable to foreigners being super into DBZ or One Piece in the modern era; it doesn't really imply a huge interest in "Japanese media/comics" so much as "being a big fan of these specific major media franchises."

(I realize this is kind of nitpicky)