Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

The challenging thing about sussing out PCT rotation is no potenties. Like is Hammer worth casting in-combat or is it only worth it during downtime phases? Impossible to say.

Potencies, CDs, interactions not mentioned, I think it's a fool's errand trying to do any deeper speculation with what we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Countblanc posted:

The challenging thing about sussing out PCT rotation is no potenties. Like is Hammer worth casting in-combat or is it only worth it during downtime phases? Impossible to say.

I am guessing you sketch your hammer (and the first two parts of moogle?) during your downtime rotation and burn them all as part of a 1/2 minute burst following your landscape. This is based on, uh, well ... *vague gestures to every other job*.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

gay devil posted:

I don't think condensing 1-2-3 combos into a single button reduces cognitive load in any way. Condensing them all into one action would make me have to think more and I'd worry about forgetting what step of a combo I'm on in-between weaving.

For me, it's not about reducing cognitive load, it's about me just not wanting as many buttons bloating up my hotbars.

But I'm also the person that feels like all abilities for a class should fit on a single hotbar. (And for those that say it would make the game easier, I assure you that majority of the playerbase would still gently caress things up regularly).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm just happy we're getting another fiddly caster. After the summoner rework I was stuck with blm if I wanted to cast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alder posted:

Is anyone going to collect the caps too?

I'm thinking about that hoodie, Alphy doll, minion/mount, and maybe plush :shobon:

It's a shame I mostly drink seltzer nowadays.

I'm really tempted to by the Nu Mou plush, but even 20 purple dews is still a poo poo ton.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

For me, it's not about reducing cognitive load, it's about me just not wanting as many buttons bloating up my hotbars.

But I'm also the person that feels like all abilities for a class should fit on a single hotbar. (And for those that say it would make the game easier, I assure you that majority of the playerbase would still gently caress things up regularly).

It wouldn't make it easier it would make it incredibly boring to cut down to that level. Every class being trimmed to new summoner level would be abysmal

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xerophyte posted:

I am guessing you sketch your hammer (and the first two parts of moogle?) during your downtime rotation and burn them all as part of a 1/2 minute burst following your landscape. This is based on, uh, well ... *vague gestures to every other job*.

Maybe, but we don't even know if it's higher potency than, say, the Black Hue rotation. Maybe it's strictly a mobility optimization tool where they're the highest potency no-cast option, but weaker than hard cast spells.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the hammer combo auto dh/crits (or yoship is the luckiest individual in the world) and is probably worth using outside the 2m window

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm really tempted to by the Nu Mou plush, but even 20 purple dews is still a poo poo ton.

anything that says "taito" on there was or still is a crane game prize, i am certain you can find one secondhand easily. i think i got mine from one of those online crane game things. i know i got my il mheg cup with matching beaver artificial ice cubes from toreba

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yeah, even as someone who's addicted to soda, Mountain Dew is A Lot. If I was still in high school maybe, but these days I like my kidneys in one piece.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

And so the Media Tour Articles begin.

The only one I know of (and I wasn't looking), is this one from Gamer.ne.jp, officialy showing off the Artifact Armor sets.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

pictomancer magic is simple

you do your RGB combo (fire/wind/water), adding to white, which gives you a holy pip and 25 gauge
once you get 50 gauge you can hit the subtraction palette button, which lets you cast your CMY combo (ice/lightning/earth), which subtracts to black and lets you cast comet

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It wouldn't make it easier it would make it incredibly boring to cut down to that level. Every class being trimmed to new summoner level would be abysmal

Yeah, I mean this all just comes down to personal taste.

But also, my opinion on this should never really be something that matters because I don't do savage/extreme content.

But then again, savage/extreme content would probably be something I'd be more interested in with more simplified classes. I, personally, would prefer 100% of the mental load to be with the encounter and 0% of the mental load to be with performing my job's rotation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I mean this all just comes down to personal taste.

But also, my opinion on this should never really be something that matters because I don't do savage/extreme content.

But then again, savage/extreme content would probably be something I'd be more interested in with more simplified classes. I, personally, would prefer 100% of the mental load to be with the encounter and 0% of the mental load to be with performing my job's rotation.

Playing your class and finding where to maximize performance is part of the encounter. That's something they design both encou terms and classes around. Treating that like separate categories is silly

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

It'll still be poo poo, and maybe I'm being cynical, but I bet whatever they manage won't be in all countries at once.

I would honestly prefer if they just didn't do these at all.
Yeah big :same:

When they got around to them at all, different European countries got their own promos, sometimes at the same time and sometimes not, and if you were lucky you got "spend €20 on Amazon", instead of "deal with some bullshit very country-specific shop which may not even exist near you". The promo for the Chocorpokkur wasn't ever held here and I missed Fat Choco Choco because you had to dump money on idiot Twitch streamers, and the pizza emote never even got a promo, just took them forever to directly put it on the optional item store. It's stupid.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Everyone is going to get wings by, like, 8.0 at this point.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordiceius posted:

For some Jobs, that's not condensing, nor is it pruning. That's taking them to a butcher's block and redesigning. Hell, it'd murder the current implementation of tanks and our mitigation. Even being conservative and condensing PLD's 20s party and personal mits and cutting Cover, their mitigation almost fills an entire bar. Holy Sheltron, Sentinel, Hallowed Ground, Bulwark, Divine Veil, Passage of Arms, Rampart, Reprisal and Arms Length makes 9 buttons. You could make a case to cut Bulwark and Divine Veil, but that's still 7 buttons, and that's before accounting for enmity management and stun/interrupt, let alone the buttons we push for actual damage output.

Cutting those down to, with damage buttons as well, fit on a single bar, 12 buttons, would make for a very different game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

aers posted:

you do your RGB combo (fire/wind/water), adding to white, which gives you a holy pip and 25 gauge
once you get 50 gauge you can hit the subtraction palette button, which lets you cast your CMY combo (ice/lightning/earth), which subtracts to black and lets you cast comet

Hilariously the best explanation, I guess that's the main rotation while you do the pictures to build up Madeen/Hammers/Landscape, thanks.

Now to check Viper, not because I didn't understand it but because I was making lunch and paid half attention to it :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Viper seems very similar in flow to Reaper, complete with the 5-hit Enshroud combo

aers posted:

This rules

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Playing your class and finding where to maximize performance is part of the encounter. That's something they design both encou terms and classes around. Treating that like separate categories is silly

Oh totally. I absolutely get what you're saying. I just don't find that to be fun or fulfilling in any way.

I, personally, just prefer and enjoy the "trying to survive" part of an encounter over the "pressing my buttons in the correct order to maximize damage output" part of the encounter.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

:same:

I'll probably just get the minion/mount and just call it a day if I want to be completely realistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Oh totally. I absolutely get what you're saying. I just don't find that to be fun or fulfilling in any way.

I, personally, just prefer and enjoy the "trying to survive" part of an encounter over the "pressing my buttons in the correct order to maximize damage output" part of the encounter.

Have you tried Rabbit and Steel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think people want to just press the same button over and over because they like making the same posts over and over!!!! shut the gently caress up!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Have you tried Rabbit and Steel?

I haven't. It looks cool as hell though.

But also, I don't have a crew that I play games with. So I didn't pick up the game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I like new SMN but I can’t really disagree with this

The one thing I like about this game is that all the classes have a varying degree of difficulty and I can just switch to a simple or complicated class very easily depending on my mood

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

aers posted:

I wonder what the actual impetus to switch will be. From what they are saying it seems like the dark side is slower cast but higher damage. If one is side is higher dps, not sure why you would want to flip or not.

Edit: Looks like the pips generated in dark mode are for holy so maybe you want to swap back eventually to unload holy pips.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 16, 2024

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't. It looks cool as hell though.

But also, I don't have a crew that I play games with. So I didn't pick up the game.

I'd say give it a go if you're interested. It's still a lot of fun solo, and there's an in-game game lobby system if you wanna play with randos.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Onean posted:

I'd say give it a go if you're interested. It's still a lot of fun solo, and there's an in-game game lobby system if you wanna play with randos.

Does the combat scale to number of players?

Would 2-player co-op be fun?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I mean why part it down to a single bar then? Why not just make it surviving till enrage? Doing damage mitigating damage and healing damage are all part of that and more tools to do that means the designers have more space to design for fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Does the combat scale to number of players?

Would 2-player co-op be fun?

It does. Honestly it's pretty fun even solo, it just changes how you build when you're in co-op because buffs/positoning/etc matter more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, I'd never heard of this Rabbit and Steel game. Looks pretty rad, I'll have to give it a try

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Apparently the mistranslated bit during reaper was that if you hells ingress/egress and then use the improved harpe shot, it reduces the cooldown on hells ingress/egress.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I rarely drink soda, but I might make a deal with my roommate who burns calories like a motherfucker if he doesn't mind drinking some Dew if I buy it and save the caps for myself. If this also shows up on Diet Dew I might get a few for myself.

Basically I need to find optimal Dew rotation.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023
I know the mountain dew stuff starts today but are the items ingame yet? I don't see the mount in garlandtools.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I’m curious what changes they are making to encounters in Dawntrail to balance out the pretty strong buffs to tank and party mitigation across the board, none of the recaps I’ve seen has mentioned any change in philosophy. I know they mentioned adding more challenge in the future in the last liveletter, and this undercuts that a bit.

The increased window of reprisal and addle will feel really good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Firebert posted:

I’m curious what changes they are making to encounters in Dawntrail to balance out the pretty strong buffs to tank and party mitigation across the board, none of the recaps I’ve seen has mentioned any change in philosophy. I know they mentioned adding more challenge in the future in the last liveletter, and this undercuts that a bit.

I mean I would assume the opposite, where things are hitting hard enough that greater mit is needed in general.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I wonder what the actual impetus to switch will be. From what they are saying it seems like the dark side is slower cast but higher damage. If one is side is higher dps, not sure why you would want to flip or not.

Edit: Looks like the pips generated in dark mode are for holy so maybe you want to swap back eventually to unload holy pips.

Yeah let me clarify a bit.

When you push the subtraction palette button it converts one light pip to a dark pip and gives you the ability to do the subtract combo once before it flips back. This costs 50 gauge so you can't keep doing it.

The casts are indeed slower with higher damage. Both pip attacks are instant though.

I wonder if they'll change it before release because I find it more intuitive to get a dark pip from the dark combo.

When you do your 2m raid buff (the landscape painting) it gives you a buff that lets you do a subtract swap for free and another buff that gives you cast time reduction (not insta-cast, just a %) so you'll probably always be doing the dark combo during the buff window.

You also have to do 5 actions during the 20s landscape buff window in order to make your 6 second cast plant/rainbow laser button instant cast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a little bit curious why they went with a different form of Bahamut for the new Summoner summon, especially when it doesn't replace regular Bahamut. I feel like they could've gone with Alexander or something. Maybe there are lore reasons why more primals aren't viable as summons?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The new summon looks cool but I would have really preferred something not Bahamut-themed for once. Still better than just being straight-up Golden Bahamut like people thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Getting FF15 vibes with Swordhamut