Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

loquacius posted:

if you reach into a jar of hundreds of thousands and you pick up a single piece what is that piece called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

loquacius posted:

if you reach into a jar of hundreds of thousands and you pick up a single piece what is that piece called

A hundred or a thousand, depending on which one of the many hundreds and thousands you picked up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gripweed posted:

This is way more than I have any interest in knowing about Australian cuisine.

Same, I was happy ignorantly imagining they all just ate meat pies and drank VB for every meal.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Same, I was happy ignorantly imagining they all just ate meat pies and drank VB for every meal.

Yeah, pretty accurate actually.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

If they're stretched out tubes, those are sprinkles dude. If they're small and round, you're in hundreds-and-thousands town.

Now of course in Philadelphia the whole thing is flip-flopped and they call the tubes jimmies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

SpacePig posted:

Now of course in Philadelphia the whole thing is flip-flopped and they call the tubes jimmies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Learning :australia: calls small confectionery sprinkled on items as decoration "hundreds and thousands" is some real Commonwealth-level poo poo to take in before having my morning coffee.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Learning :australia: calls small confectionery sprinkled on items as decoration "hundreds and thousands" is some real Commonwealth-level poo poo to take in before having my morning coffee.

But its the only thing Medibot will eat!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SpacePig posted:

parts of New England too

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

They’re called hundreds and thousands in :britain: too it’s completely normal

We don’t put them on bread though, that’s hosed

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They’re called hundreds and thousands in :britain: too it’s completely normal

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I assume it is okay to put them on a cake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Americans have Cheez Whiz and Cool Whip, you're not allowed to make fun of people for calling things by brand names

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Cool Whip was my father's name :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Americans have Cheez Whiz and Cool Whip, you're not allowed to make fun of people for calling things by brand names

Yes we are

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
That is a genuinely strange aspect of the British race. They call public address systems tannoys, I guess because the first time they saw a loudspeaker it had “tannoy” written on it and like a child they assumed that must be its name.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Like how the first time an American soldier saw a flushing toilet sold by Thomas Crapper, they assumed that's what it was called?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Like how the first time an American soldier saw a flushing toilet sold by Thomas Crapper, they assumed that's what it was called?

counterpoint: crapper is a good name

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Paingod556 posted:

The word “crap” meaning poo poo actually predates Crapper’s toilets, so that really was just amazing synchronicity.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ghost Leviathan posted:

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Gripweed posted:

That is a genuinely strange aspect of the British race. They call public address systems tannoys, I guess because the first time they saw a loudspeaker it had “tannoy” written on it and like a child they assumed that must be its name.

Hand me a kleenex will you? I spilled my coke.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

First of May posted:

Hand me a kleenex will you? I spilled my coke.

You should keep your coke in a thermos and put the empty bottle in the dumpster.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Literally A Person posted:

Cool Whip was my father's name :(

https://frinkiac.com/mp4/S06E04/737...29vbCBXaGlwLg==

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

When a trademark starts being used as a common vice proper noun it's trademark genericization or trademark erosion. So companies try to enforce using trademarks by making sure they refer to their products by proper names, like "Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-Dairy, Gum-Based Beverages"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

First of May posted:

I spilled my coke.

That's a southern US thing and it's weird as hell

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hey that's not true! It's also a bizarrely central Indiana thing too.

Oh who am I kidding, that's basically the south.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Gripweed posted:

Xerox

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Hey that's not true! It's also a bizarrely central Indiana thing too.

I've lived in central Indiana for a depressingly long time and no it is not wtf

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I grew up just north of Indianapolis and my family has always said coke :shrug:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Huh. Well I've always lived in Indianapolis (with a couple short stints in the northern suburbs) so maybe it's one of those things where Indy is very different from the rest of Indiana.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

oh, not in gary, no. it's an indianapolis expression

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh boy, sex! That's where I'm a tyrannosaurus

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

loquacius posted:

Oh boy, sex! That's where I'm a tyrannosaurus

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hundred Thou are also more chewy and soft more akin to the American taffy than a hard sweet sugar sprinkle too.

That's absolutely not true. 100's & 1000's are another term for nonpareils, a small and hard little ball of sugar and starch. They're too small to be chewy. I don't know what you're thinking of, but it's not those.