Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I felt bad for Enho when they took a new mugshot of him with a drat black eye. :(
Kaisei's looked like he'd just been picked up for peeing on the side of a 7-Eleven.
Tochiozan's had his chin lifted just enough for a real "gently caress you looking at? Keep walking" vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Kirishima has had some really bizarre and bad sumo these last couple days. I hope he's okay.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kirishima taking a Mitakeumi-like freefall out of ozeki while the actual Mitakeumi is 5-0 :confused:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Dude should just take the fortnight off and get healthy, the end result will be the same

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TRADE: Can I please trade Kirishima for Kotozakura?

In Chris' latest video he says that Kirishima's neck condition has regressed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

day 5, Kotozakura/Tobizaru:
I genuinely think Koto stepped out before Tobizaru went out:

He still has his heel on the hay, albeit barely.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

StupidSexyMothman posted:

day 5, Kotozakura/Tobizaru:
I genuinely think Koto stepped out before Tobizaru went out:

He still has his heel on the hay, albeit barely.

I thought the same but they didn't even show a replay.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Day 05:

Trades Requested:

ratmosphere - requested no trade after Robviously's post; my tracker assumes it is okay to cancel the trade and retain Takayasu
bessantj - Kotozakura for Kirishima

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's a shame he's doing poorly because I love Hokutofuji's dumb over-dramatic thing with the salt.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a shame he's doing poorly because I love Hokutofuji's dumb over-dramatic thing with the salt.

He is my favourite rikishi. His entire pre-bout routine is amazing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hoshoryu vs Hiradoumi was a banger!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did not expect 2 of 3 perfect records after day five to belong to Mitakeumi and Takarafuji

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So who's the most likely Japanese rikishi to have an actual shot at Yokozuna some day? Onosato?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

URAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LETS GOOOO

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Beeswax posted:

He is my favourite rikishi. His entire pre-bout routine is amazing.

Same here. I don't care if he loses although I prefer that he wins. Regardless he's awesome. I love dudes that get hype and fired up and express genuine emotion instead of being the stoic silent whatever

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So who's the most likely Japanese rikishi to have an actual shot at Yokozuna some day? Onosato?

Kotozakura, probably, because he's a healthy ozek and any win he gets is the start of a yokozuna run.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm putting no specific faith in ozeki anymore after so much heartbreak

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Today's highlight, Murray telling the audience that "Cupping means something different in other parts of the world"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Loving that we got 6 people tied for the lead right now. It's absolute madness and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Trades:

ratmosphere - normally a post would need to be made before the auto-trades deadline but I have no issue with this since this is hana-zumo.

bessantj - trade registered.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

Kotozakura, probably, because he's a healthy ozek and any win he gets is the start of a yokozuna run.

Yeah, Koto's probably at the top of the list. Young, consistent Ozeki without major health issues. Onosato's just under him just because he has to make Ozeki first, but once he makes it, I'd put him above Koto. Atamifuji might have a shot too. He's still looking for consistency at the top of the card, but just making it there at 21 is impressive and if he doesn't wreck his body there's probably some improvement over the next few years.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Went to the kokugikan for day 3 (first basho in more than 10 years, god) and I think I’m now like the fourth goon to get hit by the curse of ‘if I go before day 5, surely I’ll get to see a Takayasu match!’ :(

Ended the day with Kirishima falling haplessly into the void, which was a rousing climax in itself, but increasingly looking kind of tragic in a general sense.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Banana Canada posted:

bessantj - Kotozakura for Kirishima

Robviously posted:

bessantj - trade registered.

:dance:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Day 06:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kotoeko retiring. Good call. Rest up dude. Sucked to see him fall off so quickly.

https://x.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1791396341576573083

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Kotoeko retiring. Good call. Rest up dude. Sucked to see him fall off so quickly.

Sticking around as Oguruma. Sucks to see a guy hit the wall so hard but if he's got a landing spot, smart move to take it before destroying his body even more.

https://tachiai.org/2024/05/17/kotoeko-retires-becomes-oguruma-oyakata/

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
URA

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That leg kick by Shonannoumi was smooth as hell.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

god ura is so fuckin cool

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

net work error posted:

URAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LETS GOOOO

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Coming into the basho halfway mark:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/05/18/kiji/20240518s00005000166000c.html

DeepL posted:

The Japan Sumo Association announced on August 18 that ozeki Kirishima (28, Otowayama stable) would be absent from the tournament starting on the seventh day.
Unsurprising that Kiri would bounce. He's not been looking good, and if it's due to an ongoing injury, he's better off taking an extra week to recover. :smith:

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Bentai posted:

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/05/18/kiji/20240518s00005000166000c.html

Unsurprising that Kiri would bounce. He's not been looking good, and if it's due to an ongoing injury, he's better off taking an extra week to recover. :smith:

Welp.

TRADE: Kirishima for anyone who can still do sumo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bentai posted:

That sucks, he was already kadoban. I hope he can bounce back next basho to return to ozeki.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
with a heavy heart, i request to trade away Kirishima and pick up Kotozakura or Hoshoryu

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'd also like to Trade Kirishima for Kotozakura or Hoshoryu

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

welp I’d like kotozakura or hoshoryu for kirishima please, if anyone’s still available to take lol

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Going to process trades in the morning. This leaves us with Kotozakura and Hoshoryu; having 5 active wrestlers in your top 4 ranks is not great!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

watching his sumo was always a treat. definitely a fave. speaking of faves:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

he used to gently toss a little salt, now he throws it at the ground! i liked it better before, because it goes better with the moment of zen and gives a nice contrast to the foot stomping, etc.

i think the gods are displeased with his salt handling! i want him to win, can someone get him the message?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Just look at Terutsuyoshi's arc. The gods do not approve of excessive saltiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Dang. Hope he can get 10 in July somehow.

I'll trade Kirishima for Hoshoryu if possible, Kotozakura otherwise.