Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

What an incredibly ugly belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Yea I thought for sure they were about to call it a draw there, Usyk won that match, the first scorecard seemed the most accurate.

it would have been a draw without the knockdown

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good for Usyk, that was a great fight

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Thank ye Jesus for all these blood sports

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

SHut up, Fury (with or without the comma)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Did Fury just insinuate that they gave the result to Usyk because Ukraine is at war? Ugh come on man.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think so

something like 'people would side with him cause of the war'

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
he outright said that almost word f or word

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol gently caress off fury you utter turd

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

WHy does anyone like Fury? I'm way in the outer orbit of boxing and I"m aware of Fury's mental struggles but he seems like a completely unlikable shithead all the time

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 19, 2024

Senor Big Snacks
Jan 6, 2024

Just Chamber posted:

Did Fury just insinuate that they gave the result to Usyk because Ukraine is at war? Ugh come on man.

Yeah, he sure did. And then said he thinks he won the fight but he isn't going to make excuses? Uhh, pretty sure you just did there, moron.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
That's twice Usyk's had his moment interrupted by a coping Brit (AJ's was worse tbf)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao Tyson bro just moments ago you were stumbling around the ring like a drunk rear end in a top hat, stfu

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
hosed around and found out a bit there

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Good soup! posted:

lmao Tyson bro just moments ago you were stumbling around the ring like a drunk rear end in a top hat, stfu

Tbf that could be part of the reason he’s saying this poo poo.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

blue footed boobie posted:

Tbf that could be part of the reason he’s saying this poo poo.

Nah it's just Tyson. Just when you start to even like him a little he reminds you he's a wanker.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Why did they score it like that

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://i.imgur.com/Ovn5xzR.mp4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

should have been waved off imo

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Wow. He took some real beats there. Ref should've waved it off or let him get finished

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Unperson_47 posted:

WHy does anyone like Fury? I'm way in the outer orbit of boxing and I"m aware of Fury's mental struggles but he seems like a completely unlikable shithead all the time

We're still embroiled in the trump era. poo poo bags love to see fellow poo poo bags to cheer on unironically and without shame

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I would think "I'm laying on the ropes, out of my feet, still getting punched" is the textbook example of when the ref stops a fight, but this time they just called it a knock down and let it keep going?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is even more Looney Tunes than I remember

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yeahhhhhhhh that should have been stopped.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://x.com/trboxing/status/1792035807496196404

santillan v norman was crazy brutal on toprank tonight

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i couldn't believe how effectively fury got back on his feet after that knockdown. it was clearly usyk's fight but that specifically was very impressive

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fury is both a little bit chinny and also possesses what might be the best knockdown recovery ability ever. He wouldn't have got up against Wilder if he weren't blessed with that

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

My "always root for the southpaw in any context because I'm left handed" strategy doesn't always work but when it does oh boy, I feel like I'm king of the world

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Sex Farm posted:

My "always root for the southpaw in any context because I'm left handed" strategy doesn't always work but when it does oh boy, I feel like I'm king of the world

lol same and same

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

the paradigm shift posted:

lol same and same

As a kid when I found out Hagler actually wasn't left handed my world shattered around me and I still haven't picked up the pieces

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Usyk is the man and the entire Fury family can suck my nuts.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just remembered that Fury shouted out "Happy New Year" out of nowhere (for some reason??) on the mic in the post-fight interview. Usyk knocked him into 2025

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

:drat: Oleksandr Usyk beat the shite out of Fury at the end there. Kinda impressed at Fury's apparently subconscious ability to dodge a few punches here and there while completely dead on his feet

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Usyk made Fury run the ropes like it was pro wrestling lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it was great how fury was getting insanely cocky around round 6 and stepped up the mugging and taunting, and a couple rounds later was staggering around dead on his feet lmao

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Just Chamber posted:

lol yes. He’s a big piece of poo poo.

He’s loving lucky that the fight wasn’t stopped in the 9th, I was screaming stop it the entire time, dude was out on his feet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having watched the fight back rather than just the highlights, this would be called a TKO in basically any smaller event and should have been here, the rules shouldn't bend for spectacle. There's no sign of intelligent defence here, just trying to make any distance possible and then getting clocked again.

Still, the right fighter won and Usyk is likely to come into the rematch much more confident & prepared and will probably finish the job definitively there.
If Fury even makes it to a rematch with all the hijinx and awkwardness he plays about getting fights signed.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 19, 2024

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Unperson_47 posted:

As a very casual boxing fan that also doesn't follow Fury closely (though I have followed MMA for a long time and have watched recent Fury fights), my perception of him is:

- He came from a very marginalised background (poor upbringing, uneducated, 'gypsy' / traveler background which is generally on the fringes of society) and made something of himself which is admirable.

- He had a dark period, made some homophobic comments but apologised for them and has been open about mental health struggles - doesn't excuse the comments but at least he seems genuine and has shown contrition / personal development.

- He's had some great fights including that incredible stand up against Wilder and was until yesterday undefeated for 17 years.

- Seems charismatic and breaks the mould of a lot of boxers as his physique is so awkward looking so he's memorable to watch.

- In many ways I think he's a role model for disadvantaged working class Brits, like many boxers / fighters are for their respective communities.

Like I said, all of the above could be argued with and some of it may be completely wrong or spun by his media team, but that's my perception as a casual who's been told about him in the pub and watched a few of his fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

avantgardener posted:

- In many ways I think he's a role model for disadvantaged working class Brits, like many boxers / fighters are for their respective communities.
Christ I hope not. It's not just a one off homophobic comment, he has a wide range of vaguely hateful and regressive ideas about pretty much everything.

He's a tough bastard blessed with being enormous but not awkward who has been fighting grown men since he was a teenager. The commentators called last night a battle between two of the best pound for pound boxers in history which I thought was pretty funny given that Fury's dominance is directly linked to his size. He's the opposite of a pound for pound legend to my, admittedly very untrained, eyes.