Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Hi.

So, if you've played a video game in the past 20 some years you're probably aware that video games sometimes have world maps. World Maps are cool. I like them. Generally, games provide a simple map display for the players, like this one:

Feel free to discuss world maps that are epic or world maps that suck. I'm going to start with a specific discussion topic, though: map projection.

The earth is an oblate spheroid. Trying to represent this on a flat map accurately isn't easy. Here's a world map most of you are familiar with:

It's not a bad map. Actually, that's a lie - it's a terrible map. This is an approximation of the globe, and the further you get from the equator the more distorted the scale gets. Famously, Greenland is roughly the size of Africa on this map, despite Africa having an area of 30 million square kilometers and Greenland having an area of 2 million square kilometers. Do you think this applies to video game world maps as well?

FF2 actually somewhat solved this issue by having the world map be an actual globe, but like everything else in FF2 it's implemented horribly and is a chore to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

E.D.N. 3 has Europe completely intact.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Silver Striker posted:

FF2 actually somewhat solved this issue by having the world map be an actual globe, but like everything else in FF2 it's implemented horribly and is a chore to use.

FF2's world is one giant continent that wraps around the planet and reconnects to itself.

I think in the first Let's Play for the game people concluded the world would have to be donut-shaped or whatever for that to make any sense.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this seems really familiar, what game is this?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

this seems really familiar, what game is this?

legacy of the wizard

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
This world seemed pretty gigantic when I played M&M 2 on Genesis in 1991.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Through a lot of effort and fuckery you can export 5-6 specifc map types in Dwarf Fortress and put them together to form a rough satellite image of the world you generated

Its probably more effort than its worth but it produces some cool looking stuff

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Robot Randy posted:

Through a lot of effort and fuckery you can export 5-6 specifc map types in Dwarf Fortress and put them together to form a rough satellite image of the world you generated

Its probably more effort than its worth but it produces some cool looking stuff

that looks loving awful dude

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Dexters Secret posted:

that looks loving awful dude

yeah, i dunno. this was the only image i could find and it comes from some plugin that makes it automatically for you. i remember it looking tons better done the manual way, but i cant seem to find anything on it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

thats a nice looking map

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
the map that came with morrowind was good

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
most 2d jrpg worlds are toruses

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Lamebot posted:

most 2d jrpg worlds are toruses

that's a Pokémon dumbass

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the best world of all time

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i still have my cloth map in my desk drawer, sometimes I pull it out and smell it just to remember what everquest smelled like

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

the completed super highway that leads straight to a haunted pumpkin deadland

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Proud Rat Mom posted:

the completed super highway that leads straight to a haunted pumpkin deadland

an island right off the coast of the city inhabited solely by monsters

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In game maps are loving boring. I miss when they gave you a giant folded up paper map in your game box. twice the size of your small child body.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I don't like the Dragon quest games, but they do have nice world maps

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

good arino ep

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

homeless snail posted:

i still have my cloth map in my desk drawer, sometimes I pull it out and smell it just to remember what everquest smelled like

I'll bet you do, creep.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Did you know that if you go to the bottom of the overworld map in Zelda II: The Adventures of Link, it is actually the overworld from the original Zelda.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

farsel posted:

good arino ep

i didn't know arino played it holy poo poo

my parents didn't give me anything to make maps with and put me in front of this game and i think i only ever found one boss in years of playing because i didn't bother writing down passwords either

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wG5vwzslDg

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son

Never been to the States but I'm pretty sure this is accurate

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
any old gamers here remember the dragon warrior maps and beastiary included

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Looper posted:

I don't like the Dragon quest games, but they do have nice world maps

Sorry about your AIDS.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Eindyin posted:

Never been to the States but I'm pretty sure this is accurate

Michigan is definitely a big fat burger.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
As much as I love Drakengard and Dragon Age, the world maps being south-up maps of europe is a bit half arsed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strong Convections posted:

As much as I love Drakengard and Dragon Age, the world maps being south-up maps of europe is a bit half arsed
zelda 1 does this except with the state of washington

as i said. this is an accurate depiction of the non-metropolitan areas in washington state

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 18, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Remember when games came with physical maps and cool poo poo like that?

• Locked thread