Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I havent opened this door in a while....

What's inside?

*sigh*

*3 hours later*

*6 hours later*

*sigh*

Well at least I cans see the garage floor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's a real life exploded diagram.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Still weirds me out seeing the brake master and steering linkage on that side.

Whats the plan?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
That's how I feel nearly every time I open my garage door and see this mess.

You aren't alone. At least you probably know where all the loose bolts go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why do you still have a tube TV, you ancient git?

Excited to see the WRX getting fixed. :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why do you still have a tube TV, you ancient git?

Excited to see the WRX getting fixed. :)

CRTs still have the best black/light contrast (due to not being backlit).

:colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fucknag posted:

CRTs still have the best black/light contrast (due to not being backlit).

:colbert:

plasma!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I love my plasma TV. Shame nobody was buying them and now nobody makes plasmas anymore. :(

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

AMOLED!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if this turns out to be one of those threads that goes off into unexpected directions - it would sum up the WRX so perfectly.

Slow is Fast posted:

Whats the plan?

Fantasy - Build a car worthy of AI.

Reality - Fiddle around the edges and in a years time post another update of another half ton of junk being thrown out. This'll be a Frozen Phil's Mustang version of WRX projects.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

This'll be a Frozen Phil's Mustang version of WRX projects.

Whatever even happened to that car? He hasn't posted since June, and the last I heard back in 2011 or whenever it was a this friends' workshop as he went through his post-divorce rejuvenation period.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IIRC he wound up having to get rid of it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Not shown but worked on -

a) EJ 257 STI short block with the nitrided crank and upgraded pistons / rings

b) The WRX heads pulled apart for a complete rebuild

c) Gearbox coming apart

The father parental unit is wondering how the hell I could drive that car so hard and yet leave so little signs of wear on things like the flywheel and the gearbox. Even the synchos have no signs of wear at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ANOTHER CAR FAILURE

Not shown - how to remove a fuel pump from a car made by Holden, featuring one exasperated mechanic

Firstly of course verify pump failure. Car when driven fails to progress in the middle of a highway

After car returns an hour later, do the following....

1) Take exhaust off
2) Take tailshaft off
3) Drop rear subframe
4) drop tank

5) remove failed pump

6) Try to source new pump

7) Look at why the tank doesnt seem to match with the Aussie manual.

8) Look up fuel pump number

9) Enquire about part number

10) Ask if person ont he other end of the phone is joking.

11) Get rest of the car's VIN numbers checked.

12) Call up father of Cat Terrist and inform him the "Holden Commodore" is in fact a Pontiac SS.

13) Father calls Cat Terrist to inform him.

14) Mechanic sources ONLY Pontiac part number fuel pump in the country and also checks engine number to find it is in fact it is a GM US crate motor for the US market and not a Aust spec one.

15) Mechanic gets a calling to verify and discovers yes, Holden actually did turn a few cars on the production line into RHD Pontiacs to use up some production line spares and he's to make a note of it on the log book.

And frankly at this point I'm just gobsmacked. How the gently caress did I end up with a car that was originally earmarked to go overseas and should actually be a Pontiac?!?!?!?

Maaaaan I can pick em. That WRX is also a wildcard vehicle, all the VIN's say it's a Spec C and yet it's right here as WRX. How on earth do I keep manging to get cars that make no sense?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
That is insane, I wonder if the ECU maps are different for US fuel and emissions.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Next time replace steps 1-4 with "Sawzall".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Pick a lottery ticket.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just watch, he'll end up winning the Spanish lottery instead :rolleyes:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Just watch, he'll end up winning the Spanish lottery instead :rolleyes:

More like Shirley Jackson's....

https://sites.middlebury.edu/individualandthesociety/files/2010/09/jackson_lottery.pdf

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SOMETHING ELSE BROKE

Is this a good or a baaaaaaad idea?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Needs a drink tube.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, it's a specialized, and a tri bike, so two strikes right there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

THIS drat CAR WHERE THE HELL DID IT COME FROM?!?!?!

Vogon Engineer (Father parental unit) has no idea what the hell the right cylinder head is even from. The left appears to be STI but the right is defying all logic. The valve sizes are wrong and the exhaust ports are bigger. I have sworn against all the cats that they are the heads that came with the car but yet again if this is a "stock" car then someone is on good acid.

As far as we can work out - Jamal comment required please because we have NFI - this is possibly done to give better throttle response and less lag? The right bank MAY be Spec C? It's the closest match, but why would you put 2 litre Spec C on a 2.5 litre WRX????

Oh and...... KB got a spare 2 litre motor for the WRC car. Except it turned out to be usless for that car as it is a JUN 2.2litre stroker. Also we found it came not far from a place called Fukashima. Serious sthought is going on where this thing will go or if it gets sold off.

gently caress me, what next?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I get the feeling that wasn't on purpose, like someone replaced the head at some point and used the wrong one. Are the stamps on each side the same?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://racemagazine.com.au/events/24-hours-of-lemons-comes-to-australia

Ummmmm...... Chnage of plans for a few months maybe?

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
yes.. yes... i need mates who are keen on this poo poo too. what vicinity of Australia do you hail from ?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

blakeg posted:

yes.. yes... i need mates who are keen on this poo poo too. what vicinity of Australia do you hail from ?

In a vaguely Sydney area. First plan is a VN V8 commodore. Real issue is that I doubt the brakes will last 24 seconds, let alone 24 hours.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

In a vaguely Sydney area. First plan is a VN V8 commodore. Real issue is that I doubt the brakes will last 24 seconds, let alone 24 hours.

lemons rules exclude brakes being in budget, maybe do and upgrade train (clubsports on the ve then ve brakes on the lemons car)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

lemons rules exclude brakes being in budget, maybe do and upgrade train (clubsports on the ve then ve brakes on the lemons car)

poo poo, thats a hell of an idea.

Other news - STILL confused about the engine that came out of the WRX. The oil cooler has NO known match in Australia. Thence, not a WRX and not an STI.

The more we dig into the weirdness of the motor, the more we think this is a 2.5 litre with Spec C parts with a TD04 because nothing makes sense otherwise. We checked the ECU and found it hs no known checksum match. Bodyshell research to confirm Spec C says we are on the right track - this is NOT a WRX.

But why the hell would you slip a Spec C shell out the factory door and call it a WRX? And why would it end up in Australia?

quote:

Are the stamps on each side the same?

No.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

This reminds me of a story I heard about Renault in the 80's or 90's. They were having serious parts availability issues, so cars were leaving the factory way off spec. Stuff like sport variant brakes on base models, the wrong carb, etc. Getting parts for them was a nightmare because you had no idea what parts were actually on your car.

I remember googling it a while back, and couldn't find anything on it though, so maybe it's a urban myth.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

stump posted:

This reminds me of a story I heard about Renault in the 80's or 90's. They were having serious parts availability issues, so cars were leaving the factory way off spec. Stuff like sport variant brakes on base models, the wrong carb, etc. Getting parts for them was a nightmare because you had no idea what parts were actually on your car.

I remember googling it a while back, and couldn't find anything on it though, so maybe it's a urban myth.

Possibly not a urban myth. We have three cars here and not a single one matches spec so I could well see Renault doing things like that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Not shown -

Cleaning dead possum off car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

This is just French car companies in general though.

:(: "Yes, I'd like to buy [common service part] for a 1987 205 1.4, please"
:downs: "Certainly sir, it could be one of these ten part numbers"
:(: "It's the 1.4 TU3 carb engine, UK model"
:(: "It was built on Friday March the 13th at the Mulhouse factory, this part was installed by a man named Jean Ribiere, just after lunch. He had a ham sandwich."
:(: "Can I just take one of each and bring back the ones that aren't right?"
:downs: "Sorry sir, they're all on back-order"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We have entered something very stupid.....

http://24hoursoflemons.com.au/

Let the start of the search for the 1000 buck race car begin

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's all utes isn't it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So how many Mad Max themed teams will there be?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

ALL OF THEM

E: please keep a log of what parts are known to be from what originally. Curious to see just how far your rabbit hole goes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of them.

Also the racing is full contact.

Also spikes are allowed.

Also flamethrowers.

Also explosives.

Also it's not a 24 hour race, it's last man standing.

50 CARS ENTER! ONE CAR LEAVES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Definitely gonna come check out that race. I never realised how close wakefield is to bathurst (relatively). Are you going ahead with the obvious theme or did you have something else in mind?

• Locked thread