Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

There have been several instances throughout history in which the bond between all human minds produces two works of nearly identical content in the same medium at roughly the same time. Dante's Peak and Volcano, Armageddon and Deep Impact, Prototype and inFamous, and in 2004, shooters with psychically enhanced protagonists went head to head with the release of both Second Sight and Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. When these twin releases occur, one is usually artful and dignified, while the other is invariably loud, dumb, and full of explosions. In the case of Second Sight and Psi-Ops, Second Sight is decidedly the more mature tale (as expertly presented by My Name Is Kaz in this Let's Play), and the evil twin Psi-Ops is precisely my kind of game.

Zain and Scruffo will be joining me for the exciting journey of Nick Scryer as he recovers his memory, battles an army of psychic terrorists, and deftly maintains the moral high ground as the virtuous and not-at-all-sadistic hero of Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. Kindly refrain from posting spoilers even in spoiler tags for the duration of the LP and enjoy the fireworks :psyboom:

Bonus

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Oh Hell yes. I've been waiting a long time for someone to do an LP of the best psychic game ever made.

Ten years, and still nothing has come close; not Psychonauts, not F3AR, and not Force Unleashed.
The best Havok™ Physics simulator ever, with the goofiest :airquote: "co-op" mode ever, and the cheesiest story, and most annoying fake difficulty section of any game ever (well, we can't all be perfect, I guess).

:munch:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If Oni had the Psi abilities of this game, it might be perfect. The gun combat is utterly terrible and the cancelled features would have made combat more fun.
I think the higher difficulties also drains your PP faster.
There are still sites where you can play this for free.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
"Are you just gonna blast everyone's head off?"

"Until I run out of ammo."

this is already great.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never actually finished this. I'd play about halfway through, get bored, then come back to it a couple of months later and do the same thing again. It's good fun but just kinda runs out of steam after a while?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

There's some cheesy fake-difficulty sections near the end. Objects and explosives are your best weapons though, so it's not the worst thing.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh man, this game. Just picking dudes up and chucking them around is so satisfying. And the tutorials have such love put into them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The demo was just this physics training room with crates, a wrecking ball, pallets, explosives, buttons to summon soldiers, maybe some other stuff, and it was the best thing ever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I played this game back in the day... It has some good ideas, but a lotta bad ones, too.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Add me to the list of people that played this (on PC!) and never finished it despite getting pretty far.
I recall the game being pretty insane, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a counter for ball shots at the end of chapters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I never knew Tommy Wiseau was in a videogame, until now.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Mister Macys posted:

the goofiest :airquote: "co-op" mode ever

I haven't tried it myself, but someone on YouTube said that in co-op, one player controls the mundane stuff (moving, guns, etc.) and the other controls the psi abilities, which is true madness if that's the case.

Mister Macys posted:

most annoying fake difficulty section of any game ever

I can think of three things this might be referring to off the top of my head. Looking forward to those levels.

Also, is anyone getting audio desync on this video? There's a couple of YouTube comments about it, but I keep testing it and it's always perfect.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fiendly posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but someone on YouTube said that in co-op, one player controls the mundane stuff (moving, guns, etc.) and the other controls the psi abilities, which is true madness if that's the case.

I played it only twice with a friend (Xbox). I look forward to the day some duo speed runs it on AGDQ.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah. This is a fantastically stupid game in just about every sense of the phrase.

It should also be noted that since Midway went under, this game is free to download legally at the cost of some ads (dunno how intrusive they are, I actually have a disc).

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I never knew Tommy Wiseau was in a videogame, until now.
You just wait. This story goes places.

e: Oh, yeah. Watch out for plot holes. One already occured within the first video, although it's not evident until later.

e2: With regards to aiming, I don't know how it works on the PS2, but on PC the game has a lock-on button that snaps your targeting reticle to the chest of the nearest enemy. Maybe there's something like that on a controller?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 14, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can you post a link to the pc version?

And yeah, there's either a lock on button, or really strong aim assist, a la Freedom Fighters. I can't remember, it's been so long.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can search for free Psi-Ops and it will show a couple links. I also have the disc, but I can't get back to this because of the poo poo it pulls from out of nowhere.

Fiendly posted:

I can think of three things this might be referring to off the top of my head. Looking forward to those levels.

Also, is anyone getting audio desync on this video? There's a couple of YouTube comments about it, but I keep testing it and it's always perfect.
I always download YT videos since the site is garbage to listen to, otherwise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

You just wait. This story goes places.

e: Oh, yeah. Watch out for plot holes. One already occured within the first video, although it's not evident until later.

e2: With regards to aiming, I don't know how it works on the PS2, but on PC the game has a lock-on button that snaps your targeting reticle to the chest of the nearest enemy. Maybe there's something like that on a controller?

Welcome to the movement, oh hi, protagonist!

Dont shoot me, mudderfuuuucker

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

anilEhilated posted:

With regards to aiming, I don't know how it works on the PS2, but on PC the game has a lock-on button that snaps your targeting reticle to the chest of the nearest enemy. Maybe there's something like that on a controller?

I was using the lock-on for the gun demonstration. If you have your reticle on an enemy, you can hit triangle and it'll keep you facing that enemy until they're dead or you toggle it off, but it breaks easily for no apparent reason and the button does nothing if you aren't already targeting an enemy (at least I think so, I'll have to play with it some more, I barely used it beyond the first few levels because I found it to be treacherous and it often failed me in clutch moments).

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Welcome to the movement, oh hi, protagonist!

Dont shoot me, mudderfuuuucker

Brought to you by Mike's Hard Scotch and Vodka

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Floating on objects could have been handled much better, or picking yourself up. Having the game built around that, would have been torture.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Great avatar/LP episode title combo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This game...:stonk: Even for a video game the villain's masterplan is stupid.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I just love how insync we all were on things. It was kinda crazy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This game...:stonk: Even for a video game the villain's masterplan is stupid.
You've seen nothing yet.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I'm still mad at myself for forgetting to say "Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery" after I threw a guy into the furnace...

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Floating on objects could have been handled much better, or picking yourself up. Having the game built around that, would have been torture.

That wasn't orginally intended, that was just something cool that the QA testers discovered, its kind of why it never comes up in the TK tutorial. I loving loved this game as a kid glad to see it being LPed by someone who can do it justice.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Fiendly posted:

I'm still mad at myself for forgetting to say "Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery" after I threw a guy into the furnace...

that's some Geop level stuff right there

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

You've seen nothing yet.

Oh I bought it and finished it. This game is so loving stupid.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know having gone back and played this game recently i have to say that it doesn't really hold up that well other than just loving around the psy powers. Everything is just kinda janky and nonresponsive only in the way that a Midway game from 2004-ish could be.

Although what fun we shall have with the Psy Powers :getin:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I remember giving up on this game when I had a checkpoint save my progress with a tiny sliver of health right before a big fight

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had one right in front of death by almost one step. I had to back track a good bit every time I reloaded. I hated autosaves.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I forgot they even call it out with the General here. Basically they wrote themselves into a corner: either the goateeoctomy worked and the General has no business calling out Scryer on who he is or it didn't and they had literally no reason not to shoot him during the intro.

Anyway, I think it's the combination of idiotic plot, overly dramatic music and hilarious facial animations that makes this game the special little snowflake it is. I mean, yeah, the murder is a strong point in its favor. But I really remember it for the presentation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
In its heyday, people played Psi-Ops for the gameplay, Second Sight for its story. If this was Second Sight, good god, the gameplay can turn to poo poo very quickly, on the PC version.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This feels like a game Giragast should have LP'd back in 2012.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, I think it's the combination of idiotic plot, overly dramatic music and hilarious facial animations that makes this game the special little snowflake it is. I mean, yeah, the murder is a strong point in its favor. But I really remember it for the presentation.

It's definitely this for me. Every now and then I randomly remember a boss cutscene with the general where he makes a stupid noise with the goofiest loving face I ever saw. I don't know why I still remember it over a decade later, you'd think it would just fade from memory after years not thinking about it?

I played the poo poo out of this game on xbox. It's right up there with Kill.Switch as one of my favorite cheesy as gently caress games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is definitely backseet storywriting, but if a game's plot involves "you were mindwiped for the job, something's wrong and it's not coming back, just trust me" and facing off against people the character knew and served under, I'd prefer it without those intro scenes of him actually getting mindwiped and inserted as an agent. Let the player have some ambiguity, even if you play things completely straight as the plot goes on.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Bruceski posted:

This is definitely backseet storywriting, but if a game's plot involves "you were mindwiped for the job, something's wrong and it's not coming back, just trust me" and facing off against people the character knew and served under, I'd prefer it without those intro scenes of him actually getting mindwiped and inserted as an agent. Let the player have some ambiguity, even if you play things completely straight as the plot goes on.

Honestly if you stepped into this game for the story in the first place, you've done goofed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honestly I am unclear what is supposed to be happening. We were trained and mindwiped by the same guys we are currently fighting, right? So were we brainwashed to infiltrate our own organization for some reason? Brainwashed to infiltrate an organization and between brainwash and infiltration our bosses turned bad and took over the leadership ahead of us? Did the plan work too well and we became a fully fledged member of the "enemy" but then our original employers attacked and took us prisoner? All I can say for sure is our former bosses are face blind and our goatee worked like Clark Kent's glasses.

• Locked thread