Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Waypoint brought out an older article again this morning based on the horrible poo poo that happened overnight in Vegas.
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/59m48d/whats-a-game-you-turn-to-for-self-care

"What is your game you turn to for self-care?"

Not necessarily just self-care, but thought it'd be interesting to hear what you guys play to just relax, chill. Games you've played for years because of their repetition. Sometimes referred to as a "Podcast Game" that you play in the background. Maybe we all play the same games but for different reasons.

Mine are probably:

Overwatch - Short rounds, very objective based. Quick play lets you just have some fun and test your skills.

Rocket League - Again, short rounds, clear objective.

NHL '94 - It's so simple and dumb compared to hockey games of today that you completely turn your brain off for it.

NFL Blitz - Same thing. There's nine goddamn plays you can run.

Elite Dangerous - Float in space and listen to Spotify while hauling some goods. Thanks to goons for getting me into this one.

I've been waiting for Stardew Valley to hit the Switch to play it. Looks like it's finally coming October 5th. I bet that's a good one for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Binding of Isaac/basically any fast(er) paced roguelike with quick restart and steep ramp up in item/stat power.
Searching for that one true OP run took much too much of my time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Deathstate is pretty good for chilling. A singlestick shooter where the player avatar takes care of all the aiming and enemies die by the crowd. Technically there's dodging but I've never needed it. Very steep power ramp, very short runs.

Path of Exile hits a similar place for me once I've got one character built; future characters can gear up and coast through the story at whatever pace I want.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jr. Pac-Man. My favorite of the arcade Pac series, which is saying something since Ms. Pac-Man is basically flawless - I just really dig the colors, sounds, and big-rear end mazes of Jr.

Survival mode in Tokyo Jungle. Relatively quick games, familiar but unpredictable, and death is inevitable (and usually conveys some benefit for the next run) so getting killed isn't a piss-off. I still haven't unlocked every animal, but I've got like a 63rd generation cat.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Binding of Isaac/basically any fast(er) paced roguelike with quick restart and steep ramp up in item/stat power.
Searching for that one true OP run took much too much of my time.

This, but Enter the Gungeon instead. Even though I've done everything there is to do in the game (until they release the next big update), it's still great to fire up if I have a spare ~45 minutes or so for a full run. It's my go-to game for playing while listening to podcasts since there's no real need to have the sound turned on.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
American Truck Simulator - Driving an 18 Wheeler and usually obeying traffic laws captures just enough of your attention to let your brain chill out, but you still have just enough attention to listen to music/podcasts. Plus with the way jobs are handled, you can budget out what kind of playtime you need. Have a half hour? Just take a job to the closest major city. Want to waste a weekend? Take on one job from Eureka, CA to Tucson, AZ after another.

My only suggestions are:
A) After you get used to how the game works, switch to a manual gear shifting control scheme asap. Driving automatic is boring.
B) Use a driving wheel or controller, you shouldn't use a keyboard for diving for obvious reasons; and while you can use a mouse to steer, you really don't want to.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention Euro Truck Simulator 2, it's the same game but with way more content. I have mostly played ATS (40 hours vs 6 hours in ETS2) so I'm content with driving in the desert for the most part.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Destiny/Destiny 2 works for me. Got a little while? Don't know what to play? gently caress it, let's just screw around on Io and oh hey, that gun has a bigger number than my other gun.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Tim Whatley posted:

Elite Dangerous - Float in space and listen to Spotify while hauling some goods. Thanks to goons for getting me into this one.

It's this, once you learn how to fly, which is admittedly a steep learning curve. Once you have the basics it's just you and the entire milky way.

Also, pick your favourite Elder Scrolls game and ignore the main quest (Morrowind for me).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Cities: Skylines and more recently Planet Coaster. I really enjoy being able to pause the game whenever I want to plan or build things to make my city/park prettier or more functional and then pressing play and watching them grow.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Brigador: Pretty relaxing to stomp around a city in your mech and smash up the defenders while sweet 80's synths play.

Faster than Light: An old one these days but still drat good and as relaxing as a roguelike can get. Can be played with one hand.

Darkest Dungeon Just sit back and watch your dudes go crazy.

Orion Prelude Dinosaur shooting gallery. Just jump up onto a building and gun them all down, or hop in a car and run them over while your friend rides shotgun. Call up a friend and have them join in. It isn't a particularly well made game, but it is more than enough to have a whole lot of fun.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Anything Katamari

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Skeleton King posted:

Darkest Dungeon Just sit back and watch your dudes go crazy.

This is the last thing you should play to relax.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Zenithe posted:

This is the last thing you should play to relax.

It works for me.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
just relax ecco. the ocean is calm. nothing to fear here.
(OR SO MY MOM AND DAD TOLD ME)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls

marmaduke1979
Mar 15, 2015

Rippling Muscles
Stellaris. Pretty relaxed stuff, be it purging aliens with planet buster weapons or being space-Switzerland. In fact most paradox games are relaxed once you get used to the mechanics.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
http://superhex.io/ if I have a couple of minutes and my browser open. Incredibly easy, strangely hypnotic.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Not so much podcast games because they require sound but rhythm games always help me unwind. A few stages on Theatrhythm or Rhythm Heaven do the trick

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

No Man's Sky is very chill. Not a great game, but very chill.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
Disgaea - Came out for PC a while back, had a few bugs on release but they were quickly patched out and now it plays just like the console versions. It essentially hits the same part of my brain as things like cookie clicker, but with more interaction.

Civilization - I also find the progress here relaxing but Civilization's the type of game where I play it for awhile then look up at the clock and wonder where the day went.

Haven't played it yet but I have a feeling Stardew Valley would be nice for this too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Sakurazuka posted:

Dark Souls
Unironically this, but Dark Souls 2 because I've played it so often it's no longer hard, so I can just coast through with another dumb build I haven't tried yet. If I want to relax even MORE, Diablo 3. When I was still playing that a little more "seriously", with a fast group of friends, they always insisted to play Hard Mode because "it's really boring if you don't have the thrill of perma-death". Bitch that's sincerely missing the point, imho! It's good BECAUSE it's boring! I quit playing with them after one season because I just wasn't having any fun (they're still my friends, please don't call me an asocial nerd even though I am for different reasons).

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I usually mess around in the training mode or score attack mode in a fighting game (when the latter is easy enough that I don't have to think, and it usually is). There's something about practicing combos (the ones I'm already familiar with) and whatever that just relaxes me.

Leveling in MMORPGs is pretty good too, but I usually have to concentrate a bit more for that, especially if other players are involved.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chrono Trigger. I've beaten it enough times that I could probably write a rough walkthrough from memory. If I don't feel like thinking or doing much over a weekend I'll sit down and chill to the music while I do a full playthrough.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Beat Hazard, usually to something like Enya. Soothing music can get complicated.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Farming simulator 15/17 is my go-to one. It does get a little rage inducing when i drive expensive tractors into lakes (which has happened multiple times) but otherwise is super relaxing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Titan Quest and Grim Dawn especially as podcast games.

Overwatch for me too. Having so many different modes really helps. If I'm in a mood for playing 'seriously' (lol) I can step into seasonal, but if I'm feeling more that I want to chill I can play Mystery Heroes or Total Mayhem, and if I don't want any stress from relying on others/them relying on me I can now enjoy FFA.

Anything in WoW that doesn't require grouping. Not that I've played since a little after Legion hit, but can't really ignore that after the years I've played.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Farming simulator 15/17 is my go-to one. It does get a little rage inducing when i drive expensive tractors into lakes (which has happened multiple times) but otherwise is super relaxing.

lmao this could not possibly be more on-brand for you

I've been playing a lot of Cyberball lately because of Jon Bois' 17776 and the sights and sounds of it are extremely unruffling

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
I play videogames to unwind. The faster paced and more difficult the better.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yobgoblin posted:

I play videogames to unwind. The faster paced and more difficult the better.

Cool, man. You're quite a guy.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Guts and Glory - racing game. You can race a Bike, ATV, Quadbike, Car, and Rocket Lawnchair. It's mostly checkpoint survival racing. The car story features the Yang family traveling across country through peril to the Gumsy and Gomar theme park for the Guts and Glory championship. The rocket lawnchair part of the game is also really fuckin fun. Toward the end you have to play through levels as if the character in the chair is on LSD. It's like a 3D lunar lander but in the city and on acid with lasers.

I've played the poo poo out of it. 10/10 low budget game. Community maps are trash though. It's hardcore garbage maps that are far too difficult and poorly thought out by somebody who doesn't design games. You have to play through like 20 to get a hat too so it's not like I'm making poo poo up based on speculation.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Pastry of the Year posted:

Cool, man. You're quite a guy.

No, I feel this guy. I found super meat boy relaxing despite swearing like a sailor through some levels. Hard to be stressed when the game needs your full attention and focus and then, slowly, you achieve a state of flow.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Tropico 4/5

Just chill, beautiful city-builders that don't require too much planning and aren't too tough. Good music, too.

Actually basically any sim-game where you build stuff and watch your money go up with light management aspects chills me right out, RollerCoaster Tycoon and its sequel being prime examples.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I either play Dark Souls, which will make more sense after these screenshots of my steam account:

Or tower defense games that have you as an active participant, like Gemcraft, Sanctum 2, or Orcs Must Die 2. I find it relaxing to watch the enemies aimlessly march to their doom, because there's not really much you have to do to set it all up but the results are still satisfying.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Wrestling games that let you design your own characters and pit them against each other in computer-controlled matches have been this for me since the PS1. WWE '14 on PS3 is the most recent one I own, and I think the last that wasn't in some way a step back from the previous game. You can still make storylines and use your own music and stuff.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer got mediocre reviews, but I'm definitely a fan. It's the single best part of the Animal Crossing games without all the other stuff to worry about that eventually leads to me quitting the game in disgust because it's become a dull chore, and selling it so I don't keep playing it anyway. It's nice to just pick up every once in a while, relax, and decorate some houses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer got mediocre reviews, but I'm definitely a fan. It's the single best part of the Animal Crossing games without all the other stuff to worry about that eventually leads to me quitting the game in disgust because it's become a dull chore, and selling it so I don't keep playing it anyway. It's nice to just pick up every once in a while, relax, and decorate some houses.
I enjoyed it, but for a game built around interior design you don't get a lot of real options. Areas are tiny and nobody seems to care what kind of objects you put in their house. It would have been cool to be presented with some real challenges and have to apply some actual interior design principles.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

maybe this doesn't technically count but man I used to love watching my girlfriend play River King: A Wonderful Journey on the PS2

like, she could play that for hours with a happy and intense focus that I can only dream of mustering up, and I'd just lie there and enjoy the sight and sound of it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
American and Euro Truck Sim were already mentioned, so Car Mechanic Simulator 2015. It's nowhere near as realistic as the truck sims, but it's just as chill. Take a job, run diagnostics, start rooting around for the parts that have gone bad, replace everything, done. Jobs can be as simple as replacing brake pads or as complicated as ripping apart the entire engine, and even the objectives can vary from an exact list of parts in need of replacement to "the engine makes a funny noise sometimes". Progression is a bit slow but you can eventually work your way up to bidding on junker cars at auction in order to spruce up and sell off or keep for your own collection. It also has a shockingly good soundtrack.

There's honestly too many to really talk about but I also love low-key puzzle games like LYNE, LOOP, or Blockwick 2. Or well-established stuff like Picross or Everyday Genius: Square Logic (aka KenKen).

Similarly, Hidden Object Games are great for when I really need to do something with my brain but nothing too taxing.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Oct 7, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gebd_z74Q3I

Caufman
May 7, 2007
GTA V Single Player Campaign

It's like hanging out with my favorite team of psychopaths that can't actually kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SimCity, especially the SNES version

• Locked thread