Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Most Recent Update: Episode 68!

:frogsiren: Please, no discussion of Bloodborne or Dark Souls III! :frogsiren:
:frogsiren: No spoilers for Dark Souls II allowed! This also means NO SPOILER TAGS. If you've gotta discuss something, go to the Games thread for it! :frogsiren:
:staredog: Also, no more rants about durability, please. It's a discussion that derails things and goes nowhere. Just drop it! :staredog:

You guys know what this game is, I’m sure. Or at the very least, someone has hollered in your listening-hole about its lore or why it’s great or it’s bad or whatever.

It started off with FromSoftware’s King’s Field games! Dark, atmospheric, mostly ugly dungeon crawlers. Early on in the PS3’s life, From made Demon’s Souls (which grabbed my attention as it’s basically a third-person King’s Field). Demon’s had a cult following of sorts, but Dark Souls is where things really started popping. #2 came out maybe a year after I wrapped up the first LP! By this point, there’s Bloodborne and now Dark Souls III! Oh goodness, so far behind.

Why LP this one? Well, I ain’t skipping ahead! Also, we ended on a cliffhanger!

HEY! This is a blind LP, just like the last shitshow. Joining me from the very beginning are my pals Vicas, Kuvo, and Squint! Of them, it sounds as though Vicas has the freshest memory of what’s going on (but they could all be lying to me). Apparently the DLC re-shuffled a lot of enemy placements and encounters! Exciting!

This LP itself is going to be handled using the PS4 release, which bundled everything together, DLC and all! Also, I goofed up the first session (system setup thing un-did itself), so it isn’t 60FPS; the source video quality also took a hit. Youtube muddies this already muddy game up quite a lot. I recommend downloading the source video, if possible! Particularly after episode 6!

Kuvo is playing an anime or something over here btw

((No-Music version for German viewers!))

Geop fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

SORRY ABOUT VANISHING AGAIN. I NEEDED TO TAKE A BREAK FOR VARIOUS REASONS :staredog: But we're back! And for good this time, I think. If you didn't spot it on Youtube, Episodes 55 & 56 are the new ones!

((Noticing I already used the Rat Tail icon once before but 2 bad))

Geop fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 18, 2018

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Geop posted:

((Noticing I already used the Rat Tail icon once before but 2 bad))

As if we'd give a rat's rear end about something that minor.

Glad to see this continuing.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2I1wK-yllI and welcome back!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Glad to see you haven't gone hollow, wanderer.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Geop your refusal to hit the boxes with your weapon or roll into them is amazing

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
finally, the Yakuza lp we recorded 8 months ago is here!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I missed you all. Glad you're back!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

finally, the Yakuza lp we recorded 8 months ago is here!

I can't wait for another 6 weeks for you to resume Xenoblade Chronicles X for 2 or 3 videos before it becomes Rayearth 2 or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Can I still submit a sea shanty for the Wind Waker LP, Geop?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
How did you get rid of the small rats in the Royal Rat Authority Fight? Did I completely miss something? They were always there and a huge pain when I played.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

coleman francis posted:

How did you get rid of the small rats in the Royal Rat Authority Fight? Did I completely miss something? They were always there and a huge pain when I played.

He sniped one when he first entered the room and the rest charged before RRA got down to the arena so Goonhilda could murder them before getting involved with the boss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate those music edits.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

A handy word to describe those rocks is spathic.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They really changed that last area I think. It was full of pigs and villagers and I don't remember any soldier dudes. It really did feel like Resident Evil 4 before.

Also early day ratbros before anyone knew the deal was the most fun I've had online with this series. It was so heavily stacked in the defender's favour half the time you didn't have to do anything and the challenger would die to just a basic enemy. Then you got rewarded with a Lockstone, you activated another trap, it got even easier to win. Doors of Pharros with all the things activated was great. Put Sen's Fortress to shame.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Geop posted:

SORRY ABOUT VANISHING AGAIN. I NEEDED TO TAKE A BREAK FOR VARIOUS REASONS :staredog: But we're back! And for good this time, I think.
Keep trying, skeletononionman!

But seriously,

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I remember that mimic preview/cliffhanger from before the LP hiatus. I've been waiting all this time to see how it came to that and it didn't disappoint. :v:

I've been tricked by mimics in Dark Souls 2 - even on my second playthrough - but not that one. My second playthrough was only a few months ago actually. Prior to that I'd thought I'd never play DS2 again since my first time had been so miserable, but it turns out that subsequent playthroughs are much more fun since you know about all the especially bullshit parts and can prepare in advance.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

guys

you can't let him do Santier's Spear before he does Dual Cesti

guys

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Clearly Geop was just hibernating.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Glad to see this one back

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There isn't nearly enough running away from boulders for this to be RE4.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

There isn't nearly enough running away from boulders for this to be RE4.

Only because Geop was careful.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Welcome back, skeleton. Glad to have a thread again. (I managed to find and watch episode 55 before 56 was available. Wasn't sure when the thread would exist again.)

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
No joking, I really enjoyed the audio glitches. They added a je ne sais quoi to the enterprise :discourse:

Good to see you back in the saddle, Geop and crew!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Liking the mimic foreshadowing.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Those drop-attacking spiders were magical.
"Is he there yet? Is he there yet? GERONIM-"
"Wait,I think I hear footsteps, let me just get closer to the ledge and take a loo-"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Akimbo crossbows is precisely the kind of build that should be completely viable but some people just hate fun.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Extra update!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I was just standing there during the invasion like... drat, how many NPC's did he summon?!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Bashful Ray is probably the second coolest NPC summon in this game. What a cool guy.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Bashful Ray is probably the second coolest NPC summon in this game. What a cool guy.
Which is inherently deceptive considering how good he is with high temperatures. :supaburn:
Actually, his nickname's none too accurate either. Stabful Ray.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IronSaber posted:

I was just standing there during the invasion like... drat, how many NPC's did he summon?!

If you fought him on the webs you could have pushed Geop to his death.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Hunt11 posted:

If you fought him on the webs you could have pushed Geop to his death.

Hindsight is 20/20, after all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Please leave our good boy Geop alone (until he finds a bonfire)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm pretty sure Bashful Ray is a SOTFS-added summon; you can tell by his goofy loadout and his absolute mountain of HP.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Anime Reference posted:

I'm pretty sure Bashful Ray is a SOTFS-added summon; you can tell by his goofy loadout and his absolute mountain of HP.

He sure is, yep. His daggers are a specific DLC weapon, even. Scholar is pretty generous with NPC summons, they're often out in the open areas early in levels, often temporary -- Bashful Ray will leave before the boss door if you use him to putz around the spider area for too long -- and come with more varied loadouts than "man with sword" as has tended to be the case. You'll note that Bashful Ray shows off the claw and dagger powerstances, for instance. You can also have 3 NPC (or PC) buddies out at once, as opposed to 2 in the base game. It's a nice way to give an easy mode for some hard or annoying areas; for instance personally I'm very fond of the healer cleric buddy you can get at the start of No-Man's Wharf since I hate that place.

I remain a bit sad that Geop is being conservative and sticking to strictly mace & shield in what's probably the Dark Souls that most rewards going with something aggressive. Even ignoring power stance shenanigans, just flattening everyone you meet with a Great Club is both easy and fun. Of course, being defensive is clearly working and Dark Souls is also a game that tends to punish choosing experimentation over focus so I can't really blame him either. Just shed a small, solitary tear for all the Hollow pratfalls that could've been.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Xerophyte posted:

He sure is, yep. His daggers are a specific DLC weapon, even. Scholar is pretty generous with NPC summons, they're often out in the open areas early in levels, often temporary -- Bashful Ray will leave before the boss door if you use him to putz around the spider area for too long -- and come with more varied loadouts than "man with sword" as has tended to be the case. You'll note that Bashful Ray shows off the claw and dagger powerstances, for instance. You can also have 3 NPC (or PC) buddies out at once, as opposed to 2 in the base game. It's a nice way to give an easy mode for some hard or annoying areas; for instance personally I'm very fond of the healer cleric buddy you can get at the start of No-Man's Wharf since I hate that place.

It helps, that SotFS phantoms seem to have some improved AI.
Many DS2 phantoms, and especially the SotFS additions have some nice style and equipment setup. When i wanted to for some interesting playstyle, i recreated some of the more iconic ones, like Masterless Glencour or Ray.
It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, SotfS summons will gesture usually or otherwise have a silly gimmick, they're great.

• Locked thread