Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the year 200X, a company called Bethesda released a game called Morrowind. The third game in the Elder Scrolls series, it got pretty popular, and made Bethesda a big deal along with games like Oblivion (which sucks) and Skyrim (which doesn’t).

Like their previous release, Daggerfall, Morrowind was a weird mess of a game that offered players huge amounts of freedom in exchange for having to put up with poor balance, mediocre combat, and obtuse systems.
Unlike Daggerfall, Morrowind isn’t likely to drop your character through the floor and crash to desktop.

Morrowind is also the series’ peak for writing. Like the Ultima series, Morrowind lets you talk to a huge number of NPCs, asking them questions such as NAME, JOB, and BYE. They respond in paragraphs (and paragraphs) of text, some of which is well-written and much of which is copy-pasted, but that’s okay. It’s a big game. There are also lorebooks that you can read if you’re very bored. The writing and lore are a lot better than Oblivion and Skyrim, which tended between “serviceable” and “pretend something else is going on because it makes no sense.”

What makes Morrowind an interesting game is this: In Oblivion, you play as some guy who turns out to be a prophesied hero who helps someone else save the world. In Skyrim, you play as some guy who turns out to be a prophesied hero and actually gets to save the world, which is one of many reasons Skyrim is better than Oblivion.

In Morrowind, you’re some shmuck who a lot of people insist is the prophesied hero. Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. You can go do whatever, and you don’t save the world so much as do somebody else’s dirty work. Morrowind isn’t a game in which you play a hero or a villain. There’s no clear-cut good or evil. Everyone thinks they’re right, everyone wants you to do stuff for them, and everyone has a certain amount of justification for their actions. It’s a story about colonialism, slavery, land, money, murder and betrayal at the edges of civilization.

Kidnapped by Imperial guards and sent to the isle of Vvardenfell in the province of Morrowind, part of the Empire of Tamriel, you start with nothing. You’re given some money, one instruction, and no oversight. The rest is up to you. But one thing quickly becomes apparent: cash rules everything around Morrowind. To much of Vvardenfell the only thing that matters is your coin.

We will be playing the Game of the Year edition, with some minor mods and graphical/sound improvements. This LP will be told through a mix of screenshots and video. All screenshots will be [timg]ed. Expect large images for legibility.

You will experience the game through the eyes of a man taken from his home and left nothing in a hostile land. A man with three goals:

1. Money
2. Power
3. Respect

Even if we have to kill everyone on this drat island to get it.

Dolla dolla bills, n'wah.

Please keep story spoilers to a minimum, the plot goes some interesting places and I want new people to experience it without preconceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

1. In which our hero robs a corpse and frees a slave

This video opens the game. Please watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgIIWfHnc8

We awake from our nightmare on a boat. The boat is brown. It’s really, really brown.

This is Jiub. He is the same color as a boat, which is effective camouflage. Jiub is a Dunmer, or Dark Elf, and one of the only nice people we will meet in Morrowind.

: Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go.

Jiub is right. They let us go. Say goodbye to Jiub, this is the last time we ever see him.

This is where they want us. We can head down to the dock, and He will show us to the census office.

This is He. Him name Guard.

This is Us. Him name Goon. Goon is an avatar for the player, a personification through which we can explore the world. Goon is also a Breton, because they're the best race in Morrowind. We'll get into the nine races of Tamriel later, but Bretons are elf-descended humans from the province of High Rock with magical aptitudes. They're best known for their skill with alchemy, but we won't be bothering with alchemy because it sucks in Morrowind*.

*Yes, you can break the game with alchemy. But you shouldn't. It's slow, tedious, and requires a lot of memorization. You can also break the game by just editing your stats in the console, which has the same result and is way less of a waste of your time.

This is Socucius Ergalla, an Imperial. I think they might share a common heritage with the Bretons, but I'm not sure. They come from the Cyrodiil, the Imperial capitol. He's been expecting us. This screen should be very familiar to Morrowind players and people who had to redo this ten times to get the recording right. Unlike Skyrim, Morrowind has both races and classes. We make a custom class, called the Goon. We also get to select a horoscope sign. We select The Lover, which gives us an Agility bonus and a moderately-useful once a day paralysis.

Morrowind has more complicated stats than Skyrim, a comparison I'll bring up regularly because most readers should be familiar with it. On the left we have our normal health/magicka/fatigue, because it's an Elder Scrolls game. Below we have our primary stats. Our character is magic-focused, but Agility is our best stat. It's important for all character types, which we'll get into more later. On the right we have our Major and Minor skills. Misc skills are everything else, which still level. Morrowind doesn't have skill trees.

Some people will tell you that you should have your most important skills in minor or misc, so that you gain more stat points through the obtuse leveling system. Those people are idiots. Your starting skills are the most important in the game. By the time you're seeing any real results from gaming the leveling system, any character would be so powerful that it doesn't matter. By far the hardest part of Morrowind is the very beginning, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Pick the skills that you want to use from the start.

There's a note on the table, our release by order of the Emperor. This isn't just an official document either, our arrest and release were ordered by Emperor Uriel Septim VII himself. Right now we have no inventory, and we're still technically in the tutorial.

In the next room we pick up this knife, on the game's instruction. Doing so gives us an inventory menu. The note is about a bet between soldiers, and the loser has to sharpen the knife. We steal it, along with all the silverware on the table. We also rob the shelf on the other side. Later, stealing stuff from buildings will get more difficult, but we need the gold now.

Goon equipped Knife.

Here's the complete menu, with spells and a map. We start with spells, since we have magic skills. Spells that we can cast from equipment are at the bottom of that list, daily powers at the top. In the lower left, the swirly blue thing is the Engraved Ring of Healing in the lower right.

Sellus Gravius, the beautiful man, has information for us. The game warns us not to try Persuasion on him. Morrowind has a very poorly-thought-out system of persuasion based on your Speechcraft skill. It has one very important purpose later, but you don't need Speechcraft for it. It is otherwise useless, and therefore the Speechcraft skill is useless. In fact, it's the single most useless skill in the entire game, just below Alchemy. Hooray!

Gravius tells us to deliver a note and package to a man named Caius Cosades in nearby Balmora, on order from the Emperor. We'll get to it.

Aaaaand that's it. That's the entire tutorial. No mandatory dungeon, no stupid dragon, sure as poo poo not the clusterfuck that was the Oblivion tutorial. We are, indeed, on our own now. The journal is useful, and we'll get to it soon.

The first NPC we meet outside of the tutorial is Fargoth. Fargoth (a Bosmer, or Wood Elf) is a thief and liar who tries to scam us out of our ring. It's not a good idea, however, to murder him in broad daylight.

This nice man is friends with the woman who rides the Silt Strider, a giant insect that acts as one of the game's two fast travel systems, alongside boats. Vvardenfell is largely volcanoes, swamps, and islands.

We launder our stolen goods at Arille's Tradehouse, just like the game suggested. Prices aren't set in Morrowind, they're bartered with the Mercantile skill. Our Mercantile sucks, but I still talk Arille (Altmer, or High Elf) up a few drakes (or Septims). Each time we do this, our Mercantile gets a little better.

Arille also sells spells. Buying spells is one of the best uses for money in this game. Arille sells a couple cheap Destruction spells, but Destruction sucks, so I don't bother. This is an Elder Scrolls tradition.

Everyone on Vvardenfell loves to talk. They might be rude to their face, but start asking them about their NAME, JOB, BYE and they turn into little encyclopedias. I like to imagine Goon nodding politely, eyes glazed, as people explain things to him.

Hrisskar (a Nord, from Skyrim), upstairs, has a job for us. We need to steal money that Fargoth stole and give it back to this guy. We're going to do half of that.

The aforementioned journal. This is what Morrowind has instead of a quest menu. In a lot of ways it's more useful, since it gives you much more precise instructions to complete quests, rather than running around trying to figure out where the stupid arrow is pointing on that terrible-rear end Skyrim map. One of the expansions adds the ability to see quests in a traditional list, which is nice once your journal gets to hundreds of pages. We can also check things by topic, which will let us reference things that NPCs recite at us.

John Waters here will train us, but it's more important to look at his face. Seriously, look at it. Gold will get us just about anything on Vvardenfell. It costs less to train skills at low level, and we can gain levels from buying skills. Skill training will become important, because it's very hard to level certain skills if they aren't leveled up already. Morrowind doesn't have great balance.

Seyda Neen is a swamp. I didn't notice it until I checked the screenshot, but there's a Dunmer ancestral tomb tucked into the back there. I'll go back and explore it sometime.

Now it's time to find Fargoth's secret stash. To do so, we need to climb up Seyda Neen's lighthouse, and spy on Fargoth.

Vacation in sunny, beautiful Seyda Neen!

Fargoth doesn't come out until 10 PM. Have fun trying to figure that one out without looking it up. He moves very, very slowly. It takes a solid couple minutes for him to finish sneaking around.

We watch. And wait. And wait. And watch. Good Goon. Good. Fargoth hides his poo poo in that little stump near the middle of the shot.

We pick up an interesting rumor while we go to rob the stump. We get 300 gold and a lockpick. Let's go find us a dead tax collector!

I saw a mudcrab today. Filthy creatures. The knife is a Bound Dagger. It lasts a minute and does way too much damage for this level, in addition to being easy to cast and leveling our Conjuration. I love Bound Dagger. We won't find anything better for a long time. You can make it permanent by going into your inventory and unequipping it before the spell uncasts, because Bethesda, but I'm trying to minimize the cheating.

I think Seyda Neen looks nice at night.

We find the dead tax collector and then we wear his clothes. Every single person in Seyda Neen we ask about the tax collector says the same thing. "Found his body, huh? Well, it's up to you what you do with that information." Everyone in this town definitely worked together to kill him. We won't ask too many questions. At this point we could ride the Silt Strider straight to a number of cities, including the very important Balmora and the capitol city of Vivec. I'm going to stay on foot for a bit.

The Silt Strider pilot mentions that the guy who mentioned her isn't happy here, and we should give him some money to help him out. Normally we'd jealously hoard all our delicious money, but...

Cursed treasure! This costs us 100 gold and is very much not worth it - it very slightly increases our speed at the cost of some health - but I'm curious to see if we see him again in Narsis. I've never found this guy before I was prepping the LP.

We lie to the government.The Emperor only told us to talk to a guy in Balmora, he said nothing about stealing his money. Ron Paul 2012.

Before we head off to Balmora, I wander into a local cave. There are an insane number of these in Morrowind, and they're largely optional. I just want to do at least one good deed today.

We stab some people and take their things. Don't worry, they're bad guys. They smuggle moon sugar, which is basically cat-person cocaine, and smuggle slaves. Combat in Morrowind is very, very simple, but there's some hidden stat things going on that confuse new players. I'll go into more depth in a later video.

I find a corpse at the bottom of a pool with a basket and a fishing rod. Was he fishing in this cave? Who knows! Morrowind is full of weird details like this.

We also get some swanky new clothes. Check out that skirt. Looking good, Goon! See how happy he is?

We also free some slaves. See? Good deed! Slavery is illegal in the rest of Tamriel, but legal in Morrowind due to some old pacts with the Dunmer great houses. There are abolitionist efforts we can join later, but we can't outlaw slavery as far as I know. Slavery is racial: Khajit (cat people from Elseweyr) and Argonians (lizard people from the Black Marsh, just south of Morrowind) are the targets. In Elder Scrolls canon, the Argonians rise up and take over a large chunk of southern Morrowind, but I don't believe they get to Vvardenfell. Someone else can add more details, I'm not that big on TES canon.

And finally we leave the cave, the sun rising on a brand new day. Next time: Our hero inherits a house!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A final note: The only graphics mod I'm running is the Morrowind Graphics Extender, because it's the only good one. Other graphics mods make terrible texture and mesh changes and should be ignored. MGE allows us to play in high res, and adds the ability to see at a distance (don’t turn this up too high or it ruins the atmosphere, but a little bit is nice) as well as some optional shaders that I quite like, although some can be resource-intensive. I forget which ones I’m running. I have a mod that makes the font look nicer at high res as well.

I’m also running the Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul, which you really, really want to use. Morrowind’s base sound design sucks, and this is an absolute must-have for a good game experience. The atmospherics and improved inventory sounds alone are worth it.

If you decide to play along, and I strongly encourage it, you’ll want these two mods. I think they're essential.

A second final note: I am not a master at this game. I don't have it all memorized. I'm not going to show it all off. It's very, very big, and this entire first post represents like 45 minutes of gameplay (but later posts will be more compressed). Don't consider this a comprehensive experience.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Oh man, it's been years since I've played this, but I absolutely loved it when I was younger. I must've dumped a few thousand hours into just wandering around and doing whatever I could find to do. You said MGE is the only graphics mod you're running, but are you running any other mods than those you mentioned? QoL stuff, things that clean up bugs or make combat a bit less of a drag at the start?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Let me just get this out of the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

One thing, can you un -timg- the images?

It's a pain to click each one to read when not on mobile or using a SA improver script.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jiub was later (after the ending of this game) made a saint for exterminating the Cliff Racers.

If you don't know what that means yet, the LP will doubtless get there in time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, i'm eager to follow along here but please do not timg every image. that means to read an update i must click as many images as you post.

a full 1080p screenshot will definitely break tables, but 720p has been used to good effect in this subforum. if you want the 2005-standard backward compatability, you could go for a mass resize to 800x450, but that small will likely lose the legibility in the speech subtitles.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

I'm fine with the images, but I clicked on three. I plan on skipping a bunch; I've sunk days into this game, I know how a fair bit of it looks. I wouldn't consider that representative.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm concerned about text legibility but I have some thoughts about that. Thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blade Runner posted:

Oh man, it's been years since I've played this, but I absolutely loved it when I was younger. I must've dumped a few thousand hours into just wandering around and doing whatever I could find to do. You said MGE is the only graphics mod you're running, but are you running any other mods than those you mentioned? QoL stuff, things that clean up bugs or make combat a bit less of a drag at the start?
I'm running a mod to delay the DB attack until it makes sense, a mod that gives very slow magicka recharge to make using it in towns less annoying, and an athletics mod that makes athletics scale a bit better. The latter two aren't really noticeable, I'm playing close to vanilla.

I'm also running a couple city improvement mods that make some graphical changes to a few towns. So there will be some differences, but I think they're good mods. No weird dumb changes. I set my mods up forever ago so I may be forgetting some.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
So much nostalgia in the very first section of game... must have played through the intro of this at least 30 times back in the day. The environments in Morrowind were much more interesting than anything you see in Oblivion or Skyrim.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

So much nostalgia in the very first section of game... must have played through the intro of this at least 30 times back in the day. The environments in Morrowind were much more interesting than anything you see in Oblivion or Skyrim.
It does a great job using its technical limitations to create atmosphere. The king of this, for me, is Deus Ex, but Morrowind does well. I think later Bethesda games are too focused on showing off new tech, rather than working within its limits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bonus Update 1: Lore and Lorebooks

Something I didn't get into much in the first update, because at this point the player wouldn't really know it, is some basic backstory. Seyda Neen, the town in which we begin, is one of a number of Imperial holdings on Vvardenfell. The Empire has occupied Morrowind for a couple hundred years at this point, but Vvardenfell is pretty much an uncivilized backwater. We'll see many different architectural styles as a result, each indicating who controls a city or area. You can identify the Imperial style by the traditional medieval-European houses and stone buildings. Just to give the update a bit more of a sense of place.

There are also innumerable lorebooks in the game. At least a couple hundred, I'm pretty sure. I don't know if I'll find them all, but I'm going to screenshot the ones I find and post them as bonus updates - probably in chunks, because in some cities I'll run into 30 or 40 all at once. I'm taking the suggestions to edit the pictures further and avoid thumbnails, but the lorebooks will be thumbnailed for legibility, since they're optional.

Much of the game's setting and backstory are told through a combination of lorebooks and visual design. One of the clever things about the game's writing is that lorebooks aren't just the designers talking to the player. You should always approach them skeptically. The writers behind the books have their own perspectives, and much of TES "canon" is written by the victors of various conflicts. These questions of historical perspective will be a vital part of Morrowind's plot, and we'll discuss it more when we encounter. In the meantime, enjoy these books.

The Firmament

A Brief History of the Empire, parts I-IV

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You repeated one of the pages from The Firmament.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

You repeated one of the pages from The Firmament.
You must have posted this as I was mid-edit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This game loving rules and it's been way too long since I've played it for how much time I've put into it. I should do a minimal modding run like you're doing, I've never had a graphics card capable of really utilizing MGE (read: using it at all) until the last few years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

C-Euro posted:

This game loving rules and it's been way too long since I've played it for how much time I've put into it. I should do a minimal modding run like you're doing, I've never had a graphics card capable of really utilizing MGE (read: using it at all) until the last few years.
Do it, it's good stuff.

I also forgot to mention the Morrowind Code Patcher, which you'll need, but I think that MGE might come with it? It's easy to find either way. I forgot about it because it's barely a mod, although I suppose if you added all its optional patches it would pretty substantially transform the game.

I very strongly encourage people to play the game and post about their experiences. Morrowind is worth experiencing for yourself, and like I said, I won't be showing the whole thing off. It's a deceptively large game - a smaller area than Oblivion or Skyrim, but densely packed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bonus Update 2: Cliff Racing And Tomb Raiding

I mentioned in the first update noticing a tomb in a screenshot that I hadn't found before. I was curious what it was, so I put together this short video. Enjoy! (I uploaded this in 1080p, so if you want readable text that's how you should watch it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUPZyNypEHE

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

You should go for the mentor's ring, it's in a tomb northwest of seyda neen and very good for magic users.

For anyone itt who doesn't know about it OpenMW is far enough along that if you're playing morrowind without any super extensive mods (ie anything that uses morrowind script extender) it's a far more stable experience.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stexils posted:

edit: whoops you already got the mentors ring

For anyone itt who doesn't know about it OpenMW is far enough along that if you're playing morrowind without any super extensive mods (ie anything that uses morrowind script extender) it's a far more stable experience.
I haven't tried OpenMW, but it's pretty promising. I'm excited about people building new content and things.

I'm probably not going to go out of my way to collect all the hidden stuff, I want to stick to things I run into over the course of normal gameplay, and try to form a rough narrative. I don't have the game memorized, and I think it's more interesting to have the chance to stumble onto stuff during the LP.

Also I want to leave stuff for players to discover on their own.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Yeah that's fair, I just mentioned it because its super close to seyda neen and not very overpowered (you can actually make your own equipment that outclasses it eventually).

On the note of talking about our own playthroughs, one part of Morrowind that I only experienced for the first time in the last year or two is vampirism. Vampires are a super super understated part of the world and you can go a whole playthrough never encountering one or only realizing they exist when you suddenly run into an enemy in a tomb with a reverb voice. Sadly actually being a vampire is kind of lovely, 90 percent of people just won't talk to you (including the travel vendors) and the vampire clans have for the most part literally no dialogue, which was a disappointment. But there are about a dozen vampire-specific quests you can do, some of which give you unique loot before you turn back to normal, so it's not a total bust. I kind of wish there was a second alchemy ingredient with the "vampirism" effect (which only vampire dust has) so you could turn into a vampire for the duration of a potion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stexils posted:

On the note of talking about our own playthroughs, one part of Morrowind that I only experienced for the first time in the last year or two is vampirism. Vampires are a super super understated part of the world and you can go a whole playthrough never encountering one or only realizing they exist when you suddenly run into an enemy in a tomb with a reverb voice. Sadly actually being a vampire is kind of lovely, 90 percent of people just won't talk to you (including the travel vendors) and the vampire clans have for the most part literally no dialogue, which was a disappointment. But there are about a dozen vampire-specific quests you can do, some of which give you unique loot before you turn back to normal, so it's not a total bust. I kind of wish there was a second alchemy ingredient with the "vampirism" effect (which only vampire dust has) so you could turn into a vampire for the duration of a potion.
Yeah, I ran into this a couple times on my first playthrough when I was 14. I wasn't planning to show it off, but maybe I'll make some branched saves as a vampire. I've never done the quests and I don't know much about it, so it could be interesting later. We won't run into vampires for a long time anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rewatching the video, I just noticed that someone yells "Die!" just before the slaughterfish attacks us. I have no idea where they were, or who it was. Could someone see me from one of the swamp islands? Did the game just bug out? Who knows!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the slaughterfish can talk in this game it's nbd just a little reference to the little mermaid

see if you can find the sandcrab that serenades you with 'under the sea' with full orchestral backup

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the slaughterfish can talk in this game it's nbd just a little reference to the little mermaid

see if you can find the sandcrab that serenades you with 'under the sea' with full orchestral backup
I loved the scene where Flounder tells Ariel that she is STOOPID.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Oh boy, Morrowind. :3:

I've played the hell out of this game. Usually at least once a year, I'll fire things up, rebuild my mod list, and go jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Goddamn though, I forgot how loving ugly it is (especially the character models) without visual mods.

Some of the mods (both visual and QoL) I suggest are:
Morrowind Graphics Extender/Morrowind Script Extender (MGE/MSE) are very useful, but the Morrowind Code Patch has some great QoL improvements - including one-button casting, which is about the only thing I liked about Oblivion. The 4GB code patch (if you can find it) is also pretty much a must-have if you're going to be adding a fuckton of mods like I do (I've got 100+ at last count.)

Better Bodies, Better Heads, and Better Clothes make the NPCs look a lot less godawful.

Less Generic NPCs (LGNPC) is a great collection of mods that actually gives some personality to the townsfolk. The various parts of the project are in different states of development, but I don't recall having any issues with them, and it makes the game seem a lot more alive.

Speaking of alive, I have to mention Morrowind Comes Alive. If you're not into combat (or have a lovely computer) it's not worth the trouble, but it adds a lot of generic NPCs. Of course, this goal kind of conflicts with the above mod's, but I always felt it was a nice touch to have some extra people wandering around.

There are obviously a ton more mods than these, but I'd highly recommend the first two groups for anyone, the third if you're the type who talks to every single NPC, and the last if that's your thing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did the game just bug out?

It's Morrowind. The answer is always yes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please keep story spoilers to a minimum, the plot goes some interesting places and I want new people to experience it without preconceptions.

Are you cool with "hey, you missed X" stuff, "hey, there's some cool plot/stuff you just passed over that way," or "hey, here's a secret way to bypass that"? As long as it's after the fact, of course? Or should I just keep my drat mouth shut and enjoy reading? :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I loved the scene where Flounder tells Ariel that she is STOOPID.

hahahahahahah

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Are you cool with "hey, you missed X" stuff, "hey, there's some cool plot/stuff you just passed over that way," or "hey, here's a secret way to bypass that"? As long as it's after the fact, of course? Or should I just keep my drat mouth shut and enjoy reading? :v:
Anyone can PM with info. Depending how long this goes I might make some other characters to show off other approaches to the game, and this stuff would be great for that.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Better Bodies, Better Heads, and Better Clothes make the NPCs look a lot less godawful.
This is embarrassingly untrue. Better Heads and Bodies look loving terrible. Also Better Bodies comes with a nude mod built in, and gives Khajit exposed human breasts, which is just... sad. Although it is a little hilarious that every man in Morrowind has like a 15-inch dick, apparently. As iffy as the default face textures can be, they look a million times better than the unoptimized garbage and stock textures that are Better Heads and Bodies. Do not use Better Heads and Bodies or any other mesh replacers. Same reason I very, very strongly do not recommend MGSO. I can say this, by the way, because I've used it.

I've had mixed results with the NPC mods. Some of them are fine, but I think the smaller number of NPCs better fits Morrowind's atmosphere. Also the writing can be kind of iffy, since it's all down to the modders. I'm not a fan but I won't claim that other people are going to hate them.

The worst mod I've ever seen in Morrowind is a Vivec redesign that adds a bunch of pickpockets to the city at night, making it run at like 10 FPS while being obnoxious to navigate.

I'm also not a fan of Morrowind Rebirth, which you didn't mention but is another popular one. But I think it's an okay mod if you really want a different game experience. It's all just one guy's idea about how the game should be, so it depends how well that clicks for you. It's fine, IDK. I played with it for a while and liked some stuff about it, but not other stuff. It tries to be a more balanced experience, but it's mostly just unbalanced in other ways. I enjoy all the city redesigns that come with it, though, and you can't really get them outside of M:R. If you've exhausted Morrowind and want a slightly new experience, go for it. Just see it as a side-grade, not an improvement.

I think the modding scene for Morrowind will improve with OpenMW. Morrowind is tough to mod, apparently, because it's basically impossible to make custom scripts or animations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do it, it's good stuff.

I also forgot to mention the Morrowind Code Patcher, which you'll need, but I think that MGE might come with it? It's easy to find either way. I forgot about it because it's barely a mod, although I suppose if you added all its optional patches it would pretty substantially transform the game.

I very strongly encourage people to play the game and post about their experiences. Morrowind is worth experiencing for yourself, and like I said, I won't be showing the whole thing off. It's a deceptively large game - a smaller area than Oblivion or Skyrim, but densely packed.

If memory serves, MGE comes with an early version of Morrowind Script Extender that's required in order to run MGE, but it's been at least a decade since I was big into the modding scene so I might be forgetting. But I feel like MCP came out a few years after MGE.

I think I did something like a "base level" install of Morrowind when I first got my current computer (just patches and utilities like MGE), I'll have to see what I did end up installing and I might just roll with that. The nice thing about having not played this game in so long is that it feels fresh again, so no need to mod in a bunch of new stuff or tweak things around to make it feel new again lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I think I did something like a "base level" install of Morrowind when I first got my current computer (just patches and utilities like MGE), I'll have to see what I did end up installing and I might just roll with that. The nice thing about having not played this game in so long is that it feels fresh again, so no need to mod in a bunch of new stuff or tweak things around to make it feel new again lol
If you do want a new experience, check out the unfinished but hugely ambitious Tamriel Rebuilt. I haven't tried it yet, because Morrowind is already a huge game, but it's supposed to be very cool. There's also Skyrim, Home of the Nords but I know literally nothing about it at all. Both are designed for vanilla play, so you don't have to change the gameplay.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Better Heads and Bodies look loving terrible.

:confused:

I have a lot of face replacers as well, and maybe that's making things less offensive than I remember. I don't think they look bad at all:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqvbrb7d0o763kk/MGE%20Screenshot%205.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggs1hlur3hbfcj0/MGE%20Screenshot%207.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/psb2sqnkgt9paow/MGE%20Screenshot%2012.jpg?dl=0

(I have no clue why I have these screenshots hanging around - maybe a weird hotkey I was getting used to not-pressing back when I made them in 2011? At least they're all from the tutorial or shortly after.)

But I'm also not an artsy person so there may be something bad I'm just incapable of seeing about these. I think nearly anything is better than the shriveled and/or angular look that stock MW went for. :shrug:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also Better Bodies comes with a nude mod built in and gives Khajit exposed human breasts, which is just... sad.

I'd swear there was either an option or a mod I did for them (and Argonians) to remove that because it plays hell with a lot of clothing mods (lizard-boobs clipping through a shirt for example, hilarious though it is :v:) As for the nude mod, at least it's optional. Although there's also a version that leaves the women nude and the men with undergarments, because :nexus:

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you do want a new experience, check out the unfinished but hugely ambitious Tamriel Rebuilt.

Tamriel Rebuilt is very cool, but was very unfinished and buggy last time I looked at it. It's one of those ones I'll pick up every now and then to see how far it's come... on a separate install because it always fucks EVERYTHING up when I try to remove it (even with tools to perform the various cleanup tasks after removing a mod.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

These look like faces from magazines cut out and pasted on characters. They're weirdly flat and don't fit the game at all. Nothing about these looks good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bonus Update 3: A Question Is Answered With More Questions

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rewatching the video, I just noticed that someone yells "Die!" just before the slaughterfish attacks us. I have no idea where they were, or who it was. Could someone see me from one of the swamp islands? Did the game just bug out? Who knows!
I believe I have answered the question with the following video. This video is not subtitled. It features the testing of hypotheses. I will let the viewer reach their own conclusion. I know I have reached mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLgO8Qw8OxQ

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
There's a key on the shelf in the census office. Go find it, open your inventory and move the windows around till you can see the key, grab it, put it back on the shelf and leave your inventory. The guy will shout at you, let you off with a warning and the key is now flagged as being yours. That gets you into one of the warehouses and gets you pretty much an entire suit of imperial legion armour about a minute after finishing the tutorial.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

King Doom posted:

There's a key on the shelf in the census office. Go find it, open your inventory and move the windows around till you can see the key, grab it, put it back on the shelf and leave your inventory. The guy will shout at you, let you off with a warning and the key is now flagged as being yours. That gets you into one of the warehouses and gets you pretty much an entire suit of imperial legion armour about a minute after finishing the tutorial.
Weird!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I didn't know there was a key you could steal! I always just used the guard's warning to steal the platter and pick up a few hundred easy gold.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my conclusion is that namor, prince of atlantis, harbors a personal grudge against bald dopey looking bretons

one might argue that as this is a profile, this is not a personal grudge

one might not know the depths of namor's loathing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

my conclusion is that namor, prince of atlantis, harbors a personal grudge against bald dopey looking bretons

one might argue that as this is a profile, this is not a personal grudge

one might not know the depths of namor's loathing.
I'm curious which Daedra slaughterfish are associated with, I look forward to seeing if it turns up in a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Finding the census warehouse key like, a decade after first playing the game blew my mind. I always thought stealing the limeware platter made me a pro. But Morrowind is full of experiences like that; I reinstall it like once a year but still can't confidently say I've discovered everything.

• Locked thread