Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Girls' Frontline is a Strategy RPG gacha game developed by Chinese mobile company MICA Team and published in EN regions by SUNBORN. The game features various types of firearms represented by extremely cute and extremely cool anime girls called 'T-Dolls'.

>>>GOON GFL DISCORD<<<

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay consists of organizing your T-Dolls into grid-based teams of 5 called 'Echelons'. T-Dolls have various grid tile-based buffs and skills that you try and optimize to make the strongest and most complementary Echelons you are able to.

You use these Echelons to complete various node-based maps, with some event maps allows you to use up to 10 Echelons.

Gameplay within battles is a 9 square grid that you can slide and swipe your T-Dolls around to dodge or kite attacks, but outside of boss battles and some more gimmicky strategies, you can usually let the battle play auto-play itself. Skills can be set to automatically activate and the map has a planning mode that lets you plot out multiple moves in advance so the game is very friendly to players who don't want a game they have to constantly actively pay attention to.

The game's resources are acquired in game via Logistic Missions, which are just fire-and-forget timers that give you a set amount of rewards upon completion. The resources acquired from this (Manpower, Ammo, Rations, and Parts) are what are used to run missions, repair your T-Dolls, build equipment, and build additional T-Dolls. Newcomers may feel a bit of a crunch for resources when starting out, but as you unlock more story chapters, more lucrative and efficient Logistic Missions become available so you will eventually be less strapped for resources (unless you go on a building spree).

Since mid-October, the client has updated to provide a friendlier and more rewarding experience for new players just for completing the story that set you up with useful and strong T-Dolls for your first couple echelons.

Outside of battles and missions, there are Dorms for your T-Dolls that you can decorate, pets you can adopt and slam into your dorms or send out on missions to the wasteland, ways to earn some passive experience by making your adjutant/findomme type up Combat Reports, and Expeditions to run to bring back Legos and acorns to buy surplus military gear with.

STORY

The game is set in the post-apocalyptic future of 2063. Due to a catastrophic world-wide infection stemming from unearthed alien artifacts, the majority of the Earth's population is wiped out. Because of this, the remaining humans began researching robots and AI to supplement the diminished civilian workforce and bolster their militaries.

We take on the role of a rookie commander in a T-Doll based PMC named Griffin & Kryuger where we are tasked with combating an AI rebellion that threatens the surrounding civilian areas.

From there we enter a grim, gritty and increasingly bleak story centered around a team of T-Dolls called the Anti-Rain Team as they work to stem the rogue AIs known as Sangvis Ferri and their leader 'Mastermind' and uncover the conspiracy that led to the uprising in the first place.

Outside of the main story, there are more light-hearted segments and events centered around the day to day life of some of the T-Dolls and their interactions with the Commander.

GACHA

The gacha in Girls Frontline consists of 2 main parts.

The first is the gacha to build your T-Dolls, equipment and Fairies. These gachas are rolled using the 4 main resources that are acquired in game mentioned above, and various types of contracts that are obtained primarily via Logistics.

Each type of gun, of which there are 6 (Handguns, SMGs, Assault Rifles, Rifles, Machine Guns and Shotguns), has their own range of resources that must be used to obtain the specific class of weapon. For example, using 30 of each resource will net you either a Handgun or SMG but is unable to roll any other class of gun. Using 400 of each resource, however, opens up the pool of T-Dolls to SMGs, Assault Rifles and Rifles while excluding Handguns. There are many resources available to see what gun requires what resource input, and the game itself has Recommended Recipes that you can quickly tap on that favor each type of gun.

The only odd gun out are Shotguns, which require you to use Heavy Production, which requires significant story progress to unlock and costs extra resources and contracts to roll on.

There are also gachas for Equipment, which is handled the same way as T-Dolls with different resource ranges offering different types of equipment. Equipment's Heavy Production counterpart allows you to have a chance to build Fairies, which are drones that provide buffs to your entire Echelon.

The second type of gacha is the Re-Supply gacha.

This gacha is the one that requires you to use a currency called Tokens. Tokens can be acquired very slowly via logistics, events, and daily missions or bought with Gems, which are the premium currency. What is available here is cosmetic things like Dorm furniture and skins for your T-Dolls. There are 2 gachas, the current themed costume one which last a set period of time, and the Radiant Collection which is a random all-encompassing gacha that contains most of the past themed ones.

OTHER SYSTEMS AND MONETIZATION
In addition to the Re-Supply Tokens, the premium currency of Gems can be used for many infrastructure things. They can be used in typical fashion to increase how many T-Dolls you can keep, how many you can build at once, or increase the number of Echelons you can form.

You can also trick out your Commander with various cosmetics.

Or you can buy Oath certificates, which allow you to give a ring to a T-Doll you have gained max affection with to get a short scene and boost her stats slightly!

you can * * * * the guns

Come join us in the Discord channel in playing this Tacticool Anime Grimdark Gun Game. It is great fun, and the entire channel is super willing to help you get started and share all kinds of knowledge with you!

RESOURCES
General Wiki
Helpful Guides and Stage/Event Walkthroughs
More Helpful Guides
Ibblebibble(AKA Xaph)'s Let's Play
Goon Discord channel
Official GFL Discord channel

MotU fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
GOONS?

The Friend aspect in the game allows you to summon an Echelon from someone on your Friends List. Many Goons in the Discord have spots on their list, and have extremely powerful Echelons waiting to help you clear up to Chapter 6 and beyond to get your rookie bonuses and establish yourself. Just join the friend-list channel in the Discord and post your id and we'll add you!

You can also visit your friends' dorms and chat with them if you want to!

do the right thing, xaph

EVENTS
Events in Girls' Frontline are handled slightly differently than most gacha games. Rather than constant events designed to introduce power creep by adding stronger and stronger units to a gacha, GFL's major events happen infrequently (3 or so major events a year) and add extremely important story beats.

If you started playing after a major event took place, it is fine! They have been (slowly) adding them to a Campaign tab so that you can get the full story on what happens to the Anti Rain Team

The upcoming major event is Continuum Turbulence.
There is a prep guide here.

In addition to major events, GFL occasionally has login events, point farming events, and a horrible parody of Bingo.

GETTING STARTED

Unlike other gacha games, there is absolutely no need to reroll in GFL. The game gives you extremely solid T-Dolls in the form of the Anti-Rain Team just by completing the story missions, and a lot of the lower rarity T-Dolls punch far above their weight. Some general tips for new players so you don't end up at a roadblock would be the following:

>Don't use a ton of 5* T-Dolls right off the bat. 5* T-Dolls cost more resources to Dummy Link (upgrade). Every level breakpoint (10, 30, 70, and 90) requires you to uDummy Link the T-Doll with either duplicates, or a resource called Cores. Cores are plentiful in the beginning, but begin to slow down after you complete the first 6 chapters of the story. Dummy Linking a 3* T-Doll costs 3 Cores, while a 5* one costs 15 Cores. At the higher level breakpoints, this multiples by 2 at 70, and 3 at 90. It is easy to go Core broke and enter Core Hell if you only use 5* T-Dolls.

>Use the Anti-Rain Team. They are all solid T-Dolls and complement each other nicely. With the newest client update, you even obtain some of them pre-leveled and pre-linked, saving you a ton of resources.

>Use Friend Echelons. Friend Echelons will carry you through the early chapters of the game, allowing you to complete story missions to get pre-leveled T-Dolls, Cores, Combat Reports, and resources to establish your own Echelons. The only limit to them is you can only summon 20 per day.

>Get to Commander Level 20 ASAP This unlocks Expeditions, which allow you to start getting Legos and Acorns to exchange for many different types of resources, including Cores!

>Don't underestimate lower rarity T-Dolls! Saying this again because it is important. T-Dolls like Skorpion, PPS-43, M14, and LWMMG all punch extremely high above their weight class. Use them, save Cores!

MotU fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 15, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Type 79 best SMG.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Semper Kawaii

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Good title

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Still think that Para Bella might be the best/worst pun I've ever made and I'm sad that it's not the title.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Still think that Para Bella might be the best/worst pun I've ever made and I'm sad that it's not the title.

It's a really good pun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MotU posted:

Or you can buy Oath certificates, which allow you to give a ring to a T-Doll you have gained max affection with to get a short scene and boost her stats slightly!

oh god that is what oathing is?!

*cry*

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

*cry*

You have nothing to be ashamed of, unless you're a philanderer like the op.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

*cry*

Oath the dolls, shikikan.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Oath the dolls, shikikan.

Get in the robot.

:pervert:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

Semper Kawaii

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This game got me into firearms as both a hobby and a sport and now I mingle with libertarians and evangelists and incels and ancaps and cop/military/fascist-worshipping chuds and my brain is all of a gently caress

Actually it's really been a fun year with a lot of cool people I got to know. To bring this back to GFL, the version of the game that EN server has is just hitting its stride in terms of having a simple, light mobile game strategy challenge, with writing that's likewise turning up the melodrama to 11 and rapidly increasing in scale such that it's finally interacting with its background world in significant ways.

All I'm saying is please play girls' frontline because it is losing its old jank and whatever's left of it is cute jank

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
And if you do decide to play, do join the goon discord. It is a really helpful channel. I played for a couple months without joining in like January/February of this year and didn't really enjoy it a lot. Once I got into the discord, my enjoyment ramped up a ton. Everyone there is active and really helpful and really like just discussing stuff in general

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I saw the lock on the old thread and got scared. Good OP! I'm an old man (35) so I guess I have to figure out this new-fangled Discord nonsense you kids won't shut up about. Back in my day we just talked on message boards like civilized folk.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

New Leaf posted:

I saw the lock on the old thread and got scared. Good OP! I'm an old man (35) so I guess I have to figure out this new-fangled Discord nonsense you kids won't shut up about. Back in my day we just talked on message boards like civilized folk.

Discord's not so bad for old people like me, but eventually you end up in a dozen+ channels and ignore all but 2 of them

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So after many tries I finally got Contender this morning. What's the best way to put her to use?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hello new thread. Singularity is pretty fun minus a couple of annoying maps.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
UGH, screw Minor Pieces 2, I think I'm just going to go and try to farm MP7 today instead of trying this anymore.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Tip from the last thread; don’t try to take on the black beans in Chapter 3 with anything that isn’t machine guns. Also the power level of the Typhoons is a lie.

Tibbeh posted:

So after many tries I finally got Contender this morning. What's the best way to put her to use?
You will need her (and ideally a second) for any serious tilt at Singularity ranked. She has great Everything and just so happens to have AP ammo for killing Typhoons.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Tibbeh posted:

Contender's in the category of "so good that you can stick her in almost any echelon and she'll do work".

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Got it, I'll shove her full of combat reports and put her somewhere useful

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Excellent title choice and OP

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

robziel posted:

Discord's not so bad for old people like me, but eventually you end up in a dozen+ channels and ignore all but 2 of them

I don't see how that's different from normal.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
What the gently caress I just got a second loving SAT8 from the boxes.

I don't need 3 SAT8s.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hand it over Ive gotten everything but sat8 from the boxes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

200 JS05 runs and counting...

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Ibblebibble posted:

200 JS05 runs and counting...

drat thats going to be a boring LP update

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do the spare dorms count for batteries?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Do the spare dorms count for batteries?

nope, they're just so you can rotate dorm layouts in and out of active use without having to de/reconstruct them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MotU posted:

drat thats going to be a boring LP update

I'll put MP5's debut in a randomised part in the middle.

Edit:

What did it cost me?

Everything...

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 23, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm unable to make any progress in Singularity as I am unable to actually start the first map. I hit "start operation" and nothing happens. I can do everything else in the game just fine though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TTBF posted:

I'm unable to make any progress in Singularity as I am unable to actually start the first map. I hit "start operation" and nothing happens. I can do everything else in the game just fine though.

Restart your client. Happens sometimes.

Can't believe the game will kick me whilst I'm down like this.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Only about 190 contracts. :toot:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Can't believe the game will kick me whilst I'm down like this.

loving owned

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I'll put MP5's debut in a randomised part in the middle.

Edit:

What did it cost me?

Everything...

Is this a stealth brag post?

I got AK-12 but then I ran out of rations. :negative:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Is this a stealth brag post?

I got AK-12 but then I ran out of rations. :negative:

I have never had rations above like, 5k.

help me please, my robots are starving.

e: I got AN94 on the first try and AK12 on the second :eyepop:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 23, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I have never had rations above like, 5k.

help me please, my robots are starving.

e: I got AN94 on the first try and AK12 on the second :eyepop:

gently caress you it took me 250+ tries to get AK12 :negative:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I got both AK12 and her bae. Done 80 runs for Thunder and she still has not come home :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The rate-up is clearly a lie but I finally got AN-94 after 300 contracts and AK-12 after 50 more.

At least I made 300 cores, 200 of which I immediately spent back on dummy linking them. :unsmigghh: