Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Grandma, Why Are You Playing Chrono Cross? This game is old enough to drink and like 30 people have LPed it

1) It's good.
2) It's bad.
3) We'll have fun doing it. gently caress it. What else are you doing? It's COVID. It's not like you're going outside.

What is Chrono Cross?

Chrono Cross is hypothetically the sequel to Chrono Trigger. It's got some throwbacks. It's got some beautiful colors.

It's got a completely incomprehensible plot.

And it's also got a "GET ON THE BUS" mentality for characters. Which I like, because friends are good.

How Are We Going to Do This?

This will be video. The Dark Id did an AMAZING screenshot LP over here if you're interested. https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/

This one's mainly going to be me and Katherine and some guests I want to torture.

What happened to Golf Story?

Shhh. Shhhhhhhhhh. Shhhhhhh. We're not going to talk about that.

Spoilers?

Sure, gently caress it, why not.

Let's do it!

Commentary On

No Commentary

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Reserved for more fan art.

You know I'll do something stupid like "Hey for every piece of Chrono Cross fan art you make I'll donate to the Louisville Community Bail fund or the Resource Center of Dallas, your pick" eventually.

Yeah actually let's go with that.

Taciturn Tactician tried to do good and brought evil into this world.

YESSSSSSS

Mizuti got ahold of the original translator for a statement.

JetpackJeezus is become Poshul.

Bifauxnen made Poshul look...inviting? Like a nice fluffy dog?

So we gave an animal shelter money.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 20, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Oh I am in for this. I haven't played Chrono Cross in ages.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh boy, I haven't played so this will be a trip

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Heck yeah, I am so down for this.

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait
Eat the beans golf, Grandma.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JetpackJeezus posted:

Eat the beans golf, Grandma.

Not until faantastic does the episode with him in it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This game owns and I will fist fight anyone in the streets over it

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I really like Chrono Cross, too. Doesn't mean the game can't get stupid (or outright insulting) at times.

Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this LP.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I also have mixed feelings about this game! Would love to be on an episode or two.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It's a crime how little existing Poshul fan art there is honestly. On the other hand, the description on this person's piece really says what we're all thinking (feel free to use auto-translation service of your choice, you'll get the idea)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

No one has ever accused me of being a good artist, but I did my best to bring you a Poshul.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Honestly, that's pretty close.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The stupid skeleton jester ended up not being worth the effort it took to find his useless rear end, the spaceman on the other hand is totally worth it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cool, I will give it a watch.
Chrono Trigger is better in literally every possible way

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah visually it did not age as well.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I am always down for shenanigans like this.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Taciturn Tactician posted:

No one has ever accused me of being a good artist, but I did my best to bring you a Poshul.

This really captures her spirit <3 I love this.

Donated to the Louisville community bail fund.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Yeah visually it did not age as well.

I love the color palate, it's really bright and we'll see some more of that shortly.

But good lord is it jaggy.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am always down for shittin' up Crono Cross, this is gonna be great

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hell yeah chrono cross. The game owns in equal measure to its stupidity. Should be a fun ride. Also, utterly fantastic soundtrack.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
For the longest time, I kept getting this and that game where you build a town by finding parts in dungeons mixed up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I think this is one of the prettiest looking games of the era if you can manage to blur your eyes a bit and look past the limitations imposed by the platform, but good grief are those limitations on show.

It's a massive pity that this didn't get a PC port. When FFIX was ported to PC it meant that models and textures could be swapped out to higher resolutions, and people were able to use AI upscaling to improve the backgrounds to dramatic effect. And the bright, high-contrast and already slightly-oil-paint style of Chrono Chross means that the backgrounds are really responsive to even a basic out-of-the-box AI upscale (example, example, example), let alone what it might do with a purpose-trained model and some curated processing. With that and maybe substituting the models with ones that have had a few extra polygons added to shave off the pointy edges, the game would shine.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 3, 2020

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

MikeJF posted:

It's a massive pity that this didn't get a PC port. When FFIX was ported to PC it meant that models and textures could be swapped out to higher resolutions, and people were able to use AI upscaling to improve the backgrounds to dramatic effect. And the bright, high-contrast and already slightly-oil-paint style of Chrono Chross means that the backgrounds are really responsive to even a basic out-of-the-box AI upscale (example, example, example), let alone what it might do with a purpose-trained model and some curated processing. With that and maybe substituting the models with ones that have had a few extra polygons added to shave off the pointy edges, the game would shine.

Given how the writing falls apart after about halfway through (or even earlier if you want to be extra uncharitable) this game would need more than just a texture upscale in a hypothetical remake.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Less a remake and more a fan-remaster-mod.

But yeah. When I finished it the first time it seemed pretty blatantly obvious to me that the game had been cut short. Hi, we're some random ghosts! Let us just summarise some quick bullet points on all the explanations of the unsolved mysteries and what the game is actually about and then over here is a warp to the final boss. It very much feels like the game had been designed with a third disc, and then sometime late in development they had to just cut it short and shove the remaining essential plot reveals into an infodump or clumsily insert them into earlier points in the game, and skip tying it all together properly.

Really, though, Chrono Cross is all about the presentation, and it'd be lovely to have art properly shown off, even if it's still nonsensical. Still be worth playing beautiful, bright art and fantastic music.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 3, 2020

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh boy, more GrandmaParty!

Haven't played through Chrono Cross in years, so this should be a fun revisit.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I was gonna try to have another update today but work completely kicked my rear end. It'll be up by Saturday.

Here's a little something special to tide you over.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I unironically love Poshul. My ideal team is her, Starky and Grobyc.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

The soundtrack for this game owns, I liked it so much that I went and paid the rude 1999 import prices for a copy.

The rest of the game, less so, but I remember that I kinda liked the fiddly-rear end magic system. Also was amused after the fact by procedural accents.

The game has a lot of pretty visually cool characters, which is important since 90% of them get no real background. I had a soft spot for the dancing voodoo doll who we may meet shortly!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Gideon020 posted:

For the longest time, I kept getting this and that game where you build a town by finding parts in dungeons mixed up.

The game you're thinking of is Dark Cloud.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Really, the game's biggest crime, for me, is killing off the heroes of the last game. Reminds me of the Star Wars Sequel trilogy, where Han & Leia got divorced, their son became an angsty jerk, Luke ended up alone and miserable, the Emperor lived, and the Empire came back with a new name.

The writing could've been Breaking Bad levels of quality, and I still wouldn't have enjoyed it :\ .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 5, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fionordequester posted:

Really, the game's biggest crime, for me, is killing off the heroes of the last game.

It's biggest crime was somehow tricking a not insignificant number of people into thinking it's not a terrible game. :colbert:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
This game is so bad that I spent a summer talking to a metalsmith friend about how one would make a custom version of Serge’s weapon IRL.

If I find my drawing of it, I’ll post it. It was asymmetrical and we were trying to figure out how to make it balanced by making both sides weigh the same, but it had weird geometry and this was way beyond our 19 year old brains.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Fionordequester posted:

Really, the game's biggest crime, for me, is killing off the heroes of the last game.

Pointlessly, no less. Guardia getting destroyed by freaking Dalton, who somehow stopped being comic relief, was one of the few ties Cross had to Trigger. Also, that magic mushroom. Oh, and don't get me started on Robo.

Speaking of Cross being annoying, do fans of this game seriously think Serge is to blame for any of what happened? Or is that just a weird meme? Serge only got involved in the plot because his father was trying to save his life. And the actual game is him trying to survive being tossed around by forces beyond his (possibly the player's, as well) comprehension. Blaming him for the whole mess with Chronopolis would be like handing some random untrained person a bomb, telling them to disarm it, then being surprised at the resulting explosion.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This game is so bad that I spent a summer talking to a metalsmith friend about how one would make a custom version of Serge’s weapon IRL.

If I find my drawing of it, I’ll post it. It was asymmetrical and we were trying to figure out how to make it balanced by making both sides weigh the same, but it had weird geometry and this was way beyond our 19 year old brains.

I think I actually did that one summer back then, though i think it was the Spectra Swallow's design I went with. Really it just came down to a kayak paddle with dao blades.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

DeTosh posted:

Pointlessly, no less. Guardia getting destroyed by freaking Dalton, who somehow stopped being comic relief, was one of the few ties Cross had to Trigger.

I can't remember, is Dalton's involvement even ever actually spelled out in the content of Chrono Cross itself? I know they added more about it later in the Chrono Trigger remakes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 2 is up

Commentary On

No Commentary

A couple takeaways:

1) I married well;

2) Even the game knows that Poshul is a pile of garbage and I still love her;

3) I'm actually really enjoying this. Especially the old man who just completely rocks our rear end.

4) Sorry about the little bit of excess noise. The I couldn't edit out my squeaky chair. I'm working on it.

5) How the gently caress did i not name Poshul Pnurtis?

And yes, I did clean my microphone from when Scabs rubbed her dirty cat rear end on it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 6, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lynx and Chronopolis were heavily involved with Porre's rise, weren't they? Did it still happen after the end-of-game reset/merge? (Most likely answer: who the gently caress knows what the outcome of Chrono Cross looks like)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 6, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
You do end up in Luccia's lab at some point, but that's all I remember that tied directly back to Chrono Trigger.

So hey, I found something that I can use to contribute to the thread!

It's got extended profiles on every single character. Which is how we found out that Poshul is 3'8" but only weighs 26 lbs.

Plz speculate upon how this can be. (So far, Katherine is convinced she's not made of meat, and there has been speculation about either a series of air bladders instead of bones, or bones like a bird.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

...! posted:

It's biggest crime was somehow tricking a not insignificant number of people into thinking it's not a terrible game. :colbert:

This is what happens when Home Opinion collides with Another Opinion.

Edit: Grandma is wrong about the stars; everybody you've recruited gets them whether or not they're in your party. The only people who miss out are the ones who are dead at the end of the boss battle. :argh:

Solitair fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Chrono Cross: Terrible story, amazing soundtrack.