Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

AGENT CODENAME: GC2K24

YOUR MISSION, THIS AUGUST 1-4
(though feel free to arrive July 30-31 and get settled bro)

IS TO INFILTRATE
code:
 :::=====  :::===== :::= ===      :::===== :::====  :::= ===
 :::       :::      :::=====      :::      :::  === :::=====
 === ===== ======   ========      ===      ===  === ========
 ===   === ===      === ====      ===      ===  === === ====
  =======  ======== ===  ===       =======  ======  ===  ===
code:
================================
=  ========  ====  ==    ==    =
=  ========  ====  ===  ====  ==
=  ========   ==   ===  ====  ==
=  =========  ==  ====  ====  ==
=  =========  ==  ====  ====  ==
=  ==========    =====  ====  ==
=        =====  =====    ==    =
================================

AND EXFILTRATE EVERY SINGLE NEW RELEASE FROM THE PREMISES,
WHETHER IT BE NEW GAMES, DICE, MINIATURES, BOOKS, CARDS, PAINTINGS, OCARINAS, MODELLING CLAY, SHIRTS, MAXIATURES, POSTERS,
STEAMPUNK GOGGLES, CARDBOARD SCENERY, FOX TAILS, ANIME BODY PILLOWS, SWORDS, CORSETS, SQUISHMALLOWS, SHIELDS,
FANTASY MAPS, FOX EARS, HENTAI GRAB BAGS, BOFFER LIGHTSABERS, AUTOGRAPHED HEADSHOTS, NERDY-THEMED COFFEE,
NERDY-THEMED TEA, NERDY-THEMED BEER, NERDY-THEMED WINE, NERDY-THEMED WWII TANK BODY PILLOWS, CORN DOGS,
FOX TAXIDERMY, FURSUITS, FURSUIT TAXIDERMY, OR SHAME.

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE BADGE COINCIDING WITH YOUR COVER IDENTITY AT THE GEN-CON BADGE PURCHASING SITE ON FEBRUARY 11, 2024.
unless you are a VIG then you know what is up already and already have access to the Real Thread

FOR THE INTERIM FEEL FREE TO EXAMINE THE GEN-CON FAQ AREA FOR ADDITIONAL TIPS AND TRICKS

AND OF COURSE AS ALWAYS YOU SHOULD WATCH NELLY'S drat VIDEO THAT WE HOPE SHE UPDATES SOON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVZJ2NiCan8

Bottom Liner, get this party started with your magnificent photograph of the typical recently deceased attendee. Thanks again Bottom Liner, I think anyway, for that overhead crowd shot

Also welcome to any non-secret agents reading the thread!

Gen Con Indy is the greatest drat thing in the world every single year, and I encourage you with ABSOLUTE FULL UNIRONIC SINCERITY to join us, whether it will be your first or your 25th* time attending!

There are a hundred questions you might have about attending that I do not actually address in this post, but fortunately EVERYONE WHO ATTENDS IS EQUALLY ENTHUSIASTIC, EVERYONE, so if you post a question about literally anything here, someone will probably answer it in a matter of minutes

with that said now I will just do some overview of things LIIIIIIIIKE
LOGISTICS

LORCANA
Lorcana Lorcana, Lorcana Lorcana Lorcana Lorcana. Lorcana Lorcana Lorcana Lorcana; Lorcana Lorcana Lorcana-Lorcana. Lorcana, Lorcana, Lorcana Lorcana? Lorcana.

WHAT ME BRING???
First things first, if you are flying in you are just going to want to overall bring as little as possible since you are DEFINITELY going to start doing mental calculations by Friday as to whether you have enough space to bring back what you have already purchased, and you are not even half done yet. That said:
  • If you are bringing games to play, unless you are running them yourself remember there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF GAMES ON-SITE
  • If you are bringing rulebooks and such for RPGs or similar, the pro move is to only bring like .PDFs on a handheld device, as fun as some of us still find physical books. poo poo Is Heavy(tm)
  • Obviously remember your CHARGERS and/or BATTERIES for whatever DIGITAL DEVICES you bring
  • Medication, especially given the closest thing to a nearby pharmacy is a vending machine in the ... Hyatt? I mean there is like a CVS a half-mile away or something but anything more than a few blocks from the convention center does not exist between July 31-August 4, as we all know
  • A CAN-DO ATTITUDE
  • Snacks/Googies, even if you are the kind of person (like me) who prefers to exclusively eat at restaurants on vacation. There will absolutely be times, perhaps several times, where you are hungry but the world would end if you got up from your table/left before the next item went up for bid/et cetera and you just need to devour something immediately, so keep that in mind.
  • Related, the jerky/granola/fruit triumverate is often advised

WHERE ELSE ME EAT???
For anyone who has not been since before the pandemic, so much has changed in the surrounding areas that anywhere you enjoyed eating or hanging out in the past has quite frankly probably closed. It is absolutely brutal; I think literally every Goon-favorite place within a couple of blocks of the convention center closed between 2018 and 2021, with the exception of that one fuckin' bar Backno always suggests god dammit what the gently caress is its name LOUGHMILLER'S thanks TheHoosier yeah Loughmiller's is holding strong, but the Ram, Scotty's Brewpub, Haveli, Claddagh, Colts Grille, Sugarfire Smokehouse, Villa Pizza, Noodles & Company, Johnny Rockets', and even CUP OF CORN have all closed in the last ~5 years, and I ate at and loved every one of those drat places EDIT: THIS JUST IN, FIRST UPDATE OF 2024, GOODWOOD BREWERY IS ALSO NOW CLOSED, SO WE ARE BACK TO THERE DEFINITIVELY NOT BEING A "NEW RAM"
  • I think Old Spaghetti Factory,
  • Harry & Izzy's/St. Elmo Steakhouse, and
  • Fat Rooster are the only places still operating that I would personally recommend as must-try, but
  • the Goon Hivemind suggests Loughmiller's Pub which I have admittedly still never been to
  • and of course we all have a lovely time every Gen-Con at SHOTS WEDNESDAY at the OFF-SITE GERMAN RESTAURANT THE RATHSKELLER (spoiler: it is also safe for non-drinkers, I can personally guarantee)

WHAT ME DO???

There are as many awesome nerdy things to do at Gen-Con as there are geek stars in the dork sky. I am not going to say you can play LITERALLY ANY game there, but there is a non-zero chance anything you have ever loved is being played, and if you are into any remotely popular games there will probably be a dozen sessions of it running every day (and of course if you are into the big ones like D&D/Pathfinder/whatever miniature/board/wargames are cool then there are more like hundreds bordering on thousands running daily).

It really cannot be overstated how gigantic Gen-Con is to someone who has never been. I still remember being told it was the biggest thing I could possibly imagine my first year (1997, so like 1/4 the size it is now) and still being absolutely MINDBOGGLED by the enormity of it all.

Forums user Jonas Albrecht circling himself in someone else's photo was excellently useful as IMGur seemingly deleted the original

HOW ME STAY?

If you get your badge before uhhh I want to say FEBRUARY 24 then you can enter the housing lottery on February 25 at NOON EASTERN, though usually the best way to get a connected hotel is to be a VIG or start sleeping with a VIG

and finally,
WHY

Because you know we would not lead you astray.

If you have never attended before, you should know we have like at this point literally 100+ Goons attending, witih a critical mass of ~50 repeat offenders who hang out in amorphous and ever-shifting groups; the point is, at pretty much any hour of the day (our Gen-Con Goons Discord does seem quite quiet between like 3 A.M. - 7 A.M. admittedly) someone will be around to get together or at least give advice about where to go and what to do. Some of our enormous number attend to do very specific games/events/what have you and barely interact with the critical mass, but if your interests happen to overlap maybe you can help form NEW amorphous ever-shifting subgroups within the Goon!

Forums user Blue Wher's tenative Gen-Con 2014 schedule, c. June 12

* (not sure if Nesbit37 or I have attended more, as he started going sooner but missed the first 5 Indianapolis years)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And here is a vaguely reservedish second post in case somehow there is anything relevant to put here later

This was far kitschier to post until Dragon Dice gumball machines actually started reappearing again a few years ago

And all the previous iterations of this, or similar, threads:

Archives needed:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Forgotten Goon Meets Thread: Forums User Whydirt Is Our Progenitor! Also mentions a deleted? previous thread from that year; can moderators see those threads?: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=278795452
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt~ #1: Just Asking For a Hotel Room Really
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt #2: Wow, Hero Lab was a thing in 2003
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #1: Rhandhali Did His Best
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #2: A Second Rhandhali Post Has Hit The Forums
Gen Con Indy 2004: Thread About An NPR Story On Gen Con, Nothing to See Here
Gen Con SO CAL(!) 2004: Wow Someone Actually Went?
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #1: Space Pope Doing The Deed
Gen Con Indy 2005 Computer Game Interview Request Thread In Games Proper: Ends With A Milwaukeean's Lament
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #2: Three. Whole. Posts.
Gen Con Indy 2005: ANOTHER Goon Meets thread I missed before!
Gen Con Indy 2006: A Vaguely Successful Thread
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kinda: Quarex Talks Gen Con, Origins, and DragonCon Having Only Attended Two Like Some Pathetic Churl
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of, Redux: Seorin Spoilers
Gen Con Indy 2008: The Saddest Official Thread Ever
Gen Con Paris 2009: Actually Not A Real Thing
Gen Con Indy 2009: The Third-Saddest Official Thread
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #1: Title Mocking Indiana, Thread Bad
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #2: Title Also Mocking Indiana, Thread Also Bad; Coincidence? Indiana still doing its best to be mockworthy though
Gen Con Indy 2011 Just About the D&D Tournament There, Really
Gen Con Indy 2012: The Year Indianapolis Was Destroyed By Mayan Earthquakes
Gen Con Indy 2013: Gen Con Relocates To Night City For Better Downtown Hotel Coverage

Archives no longer needed:
Gen Con Indy 2014: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2015 and Gen Con 2015 Part Two: 2016: The Final Chapters
Gen Con Indy 2017: Celebrating 50 Glorious Years Of Final Chapters
Gen Con Indy 2018: Gen Con Indy Final: The Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2019: Includes a brief history of Gen Con in the first post, if you are into that kind of thing
Gen Con Indy 2020: Haha, Hey Everybody, 2020!!!
Gen Con Indy 2021: No Auction, Ergo No Need to Revisit
Gen Con Indy 2022: Yes Auction, Ergo Yes Need to Revisit
Gen Con Indy 2023: Relocated Auction, Ergo Relocated Need to Revisit
Oh hey last year was my 10th thread, how did I not notice that

R.I.P. Erik Face Flag

Here is an important guide from the Onion for planning your convention activities

The number of posters from, like, 7 years ago who are still attending seems weirdly much higher than 10 years ago. What happened to Slightly Caffeinated? Where did Sigma-X go? Deathlove? Neveth? Texibus? Section 9? Mr. Trifecta? Razzled? Rhandhali?! Bucnasti!? UncleSickey!? The_Steve?!! Kaddish!? DR. DOJI SUAVE? NISSIR? Where is Tlacuache who swore (s)he would return for Gen-Con 2017 and then disappeared forever? COME BACK EVERYONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4UBT1dG47Y
Meanwhile gonna re-recommend this 2014 recap video I just found in the 2015 thread; this is the kind of content I love to see, where someone just goes and wanders around and films everything interesting, rather than going home and unwrapping ten games and saying "yep this is Gen-Con, the games I purchased there!"

And finally I will :toot: my own conhorn as Fellow Goon Eastmabl and I literally started a :siren: gaming convention INTERNET AUDIO SHOW :siren: last year, inspired by the aforementioned "why is almost every Gen-Con recap just 'hey here are 10 games I bought' without talking about the convention itself?" I will link it primarily because almost every episode really is pertinent to attending Gen-Con, often specifically or at worst discussing the convention attending process in general.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
GenCon? GenCon.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the year I return to gen con

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
GEN CON GEN CON GEN CON

Excellent first 2 posts as always Quarex. Great picture selection this year, I particularly appreciate the 1990s era ad for TSR’s various online presences.

Just booked my flight this week, and can’t wait to start figuring out other Gen Con related things in the near future! I am a little more focused on Gary Con at the moment, well as far as planning goes, I’m always Gen Con focused, but things are certainly starting to ramp up about Gen Con pretty much everywhere!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was literally just thinking BEFORE I GOT TO THE SECOND PART OF YOUR POST "have I even met Agrias120?" and now I see the chances are THIS WILL BE THE YEAR oops Nesbit37 posted just before I did oh no now how will anyone figure out what I was responding to

Frozen Peach posted:

GenCon? GenCon.
Good point.

And before someone reminds me I forgot to hype the Auction, look, if you wanted to hype every individual amazing thing about Gen-Con you would have to make an entire post, or even series of posts, on the Something Awful Forums, and nobody has time for that.

(the Auction will seemingly remain indefinitely on the second floor of the Marriott across the street from the convention center; for as dubious as I was of the new setup since it is a little harder to bid from the store, clearly it was exactly what the Con-Doctor ordered since we sold like ~90% of submitted stuff last year instead of the ~75% we have averaged for ages)

And T.O.V.A. will surely be around 4 P.M. on Saturday as usual, leading into the Charity Auction! And the guy who took over logistics of the Auction last year said we reliable auctioneers should actually know the times we are working months ahead of time, which suggests the categories will again be set months ahead of time! Wow!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
GEN CON!

I haven't gotten an email welcoming me into the ranks of the VIG program yet but badges aren't for sale so I'm holding out hope there's a chance. Don't ruin my dream, just don't do it.

I want to spend more time at the auction this year, I really like the new bigger space for it and the consignment shop. I'd love to get more info on how to know when stuff I might be interested in (wargaming minis, specifically) will be auctioned off.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

I haven't gotten an email welcoming me into the ranks of the VIG program yet but badges aren't for sale so I'm holding out hope there's a chance. Don't ruin my dream, just don't do it.

I want to spend more time at the auction this year, I really like the new bigger space for it and the consignment shop. I'd love to get more info on how to know when stuff I might be interested in (wargaming minis, specifically) will be auctioned off.
I mean someone is bound to get new VIG this year! It happens every year, suggesting weirdly there are some gamers who do not indicate in their will that their oldest child must be renamed to match the VIG information and keep the family line intact

Also yes I am here to answer your questions, not that I know specifics just yet. But I CAN tell you that they are seemingly trying to settle into a kind of permanent schedule overall, instead of just Friday/Saturday evenings being the same, so last year's schedule will likely be a good indication of this year's schedule; looks like all the miniatures were Friday afternoon into early evening, according to the final pre-convention schedule they still have listed on https://livegameauctions.com/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There is some regularity to the auction, so you can kind of predict when things are going to happen based on the previous year. I am guessing Quarex has a pic of the schedule squirreled away somewhere that could at least give you an idea.

Efb

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2024

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I'm so excited!!!!!!

I'm trying to get a skywalk hotel this year. God help me.

And my wife has agreed to come to Gen Con for the first time this year. God helped me!

Q do you still have carpet squares???

I didn't read the OP sorry I got too excited. Going back to it now.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 18, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

WerrWaaa posted:

I'm so excited!!!!!!

I'm trying to get a skywalk hotel this year. God help me.

God can't help you.

But this can, when the time comes: https://genconhotels.com/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you wear a board game backpack into the vendor hall I will dump you in the sewers

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you wear a board game backpack into the vendor hall I will dump you in the sewers

New merch idea.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Just posting to say $50 Hentai Grab Bag is a fantastic username for someone.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dotting in because this is the best weekend of the year!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

WerrWaaa posted:

Quarex’s are all gone, but if you post isn’t he fans of Gen Con group on facebook I bet you’d find a couple desperate sellers. The market dried up a bit ago and there were some people desperate to unload what they still had.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dr. Quarex posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was literally just thinking BEFORE I GOT TO THE SECOND PART OF YOUR POST "have I even met Agrias120?" and now I see the chances are THIS WILL BE THE YEAR oops Nesbit37 posted just before I did oh no now how will anyone figure out what I was responding to

We've never met! I've been going to Gen Con for a long time (except I took the last 2 years off), but I was always visiting with some local friends and was bad about going to any kind of goon meetup! I might be flying solo this year, though, so I'll be available to join in on the goon fun :).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
GenCon!!! I'm always so stoked for it!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Volunteer application - check
Flights booked - check
Body and soul ready for the crushing disappointment of the housing lottery - check
Excitement - rising

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone want to predict what WotC is going to do for D&D's 50th at Gen Con this year? They ramped their presence back up a little bit the past couple of years, complete with an ice cream truck with the other food trucks last year. I don't see them making a Gen Con all about D&D like they did when 3e came out of course, but I find it difficult to believe they won't do anything besides having some anniversary specific merch at certain vendors.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

nesbit37 posted:

Anyone want to predict what WotC is going to do for D&D's 50th at Gen Con this year? They ramped their presence back up a little bit the past couple of years, complete with an ice cream truck with the other food trucks last year. I don't see them making a Gen Con all about D&D like they did when 3e came out of course, but I find it difficult to believe they won't do anything besides having some anniversary specific merch at certain vendors.

Ice cream truck AND another round of layoffs?

Would they do much there? Isn't there still some bad blood with Adkison?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
When was there bad blood with Adkison? I mean, he wasn't happy when he resigned because they made him layoff a ton of his staff, but even so he bought Gen Con from Hasbro and made sure WotC would be there help prop up the show for a few years, and they continued doing that until what was it, 2015? I forget what year they pulled out but that wasn't an anti-Gen Con thing they were pulling out of all shows.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

It wasn't an 'over my dead body' vendetta, but it wasn't exactly a cosy relationship for still being in the area. Maybe dude has let it go over the years.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you have any links or whatever to read about a feud, even a low level one, between Adkison and WotC I would love to see it. I know he's been displeased with some of what they've done in the past but I've never considered or heard of it on a level beyond disagreeing about business decisions.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WerrWaaa posted:

I'm so excited!!!!!!

And mt wife has agreed to come to Gen Con for the first time this year. God helped me!

I didn't read the OP sorry I got too excited. Going back to it now.
I love you my double-middle-named brother

Sadly I only have two carpet squares left in my trunk and one is because Woad purchased one and failed to actually get it from me and the other is because I told Mudcrab Merchant I would get her a TEAL PIECE

Though I saw people still hawking them in the Facebook group as recently as last month; other nerds are not nearly as willing to cut and run on a bad idea as I am so I am sure you could get one for like $5 shipped at this point

Oh and now it is my turn for Nesbit37 to beat ME to something!

CellBlock posted:

Just posting to say $50 Hentai Grab Bag is a fantastic username for someone.
I have probably put that picture in at least half of my threads because it is still funny every time I see it, so hell yes, someone take it, c'mon Fellis

Agrias120 posted:

We've never met! I've been going to Gen Con for a long time (except I took the last 2 years off), but I was always visiting with some local friends and was bad about going to any kind of goon meetup! I might be flying solo this year, though, so I'll be available to join in on the goon fun :).
WOOOOO we can get together and just yell GEN-CON loudly and then nod at each other and walk opposite directions forever

Yeah Shots Wednesday is a must-do starting party for the Goon Hive

nesbit37 posted:

I wonder if Founders & Legends/Gary Con will help us get a preview of what might happen or whether those two will be purely their own 50th anniversary vibes with absolutely no input from Ha$bro of the Coast

Gonna hope for at LEAST the return of the ice cream food truck in the hopes that I would end up being able to go to it this year though I imagine it will be a more direct celebration than that. I do not think they would make space for them in the Exhibit Hall but I could imagine them getting their own random big room to have a vague approximation of the TSR Castle and SURELY there will actually be swag this year???

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Was the WotC ice cream food truck ever open last year? I never saw it do any business.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I wonder if Founders & Legends/Gary Con will help us get a preview of what might happen or whether those two will be purely their own 50th anniversary vibes with absolutely no input from Ha$bro of the Coast

They've got to be close to finalyzing the Gary Con event schedule. I just checked and they have a little less than 1900 events up right now. I am seeing a bunch of Legends of Roleplaying stuff, some of it run by people who played proto-D&D with Arneson, I see a memorial MtG game for Adkison's dad who died last year, Adventurers League, which is the official organized play for D&D 5e has at least 1 special event for the 50th here:

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gary-con-xvi/schedule/1905

I also see a screening of Dreams in Garys Basement with a 50th anniversary QA. This panel event with some WotC designers that I think is probably a repeat of what they did at PAX Unplugged this year and mostly just talked about their plans for the 50th:

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gary-con-xvi/schedule/2228

Not seeing too much else at the moment, but maybe there is more they haven't put on the schedule yet or my searching is just bad? Full schedule is here:

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gary-con-xvi/schedule#?query=

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

Send Pinkertons to all the vendors in the hall selling WotC stuff?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I will namechange if someone makes me an avatar. If you do a lazy crop at least think of good text for it, the picture isnt that good imo

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Last time I went to gencon was 2014, and I honestly only went mainly to meet Jim Butcher.
I was staying at the Drury a few miles from the convention center and my car got broken into, assholes stole my Gurren Lagann messenger bag that had all of my D&D/Pathfinder books, my minis and all my dice. Never did get any of that back, had to re-buy what I could. Plus my rear driver side window was smashed.

I might go again one of these days, but it won't be this year unless I hit the Powerball or something.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
excited for 2024 and hopefully this time my buddy doesn't come down with covid on day two and sort of mess up my plans

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

the_steve posted:

Last time I went to gencon was 2014, and I honestly only went mainly to meet Jim Butcher.
I was staying at the Drury a few miles from the convention center and my car got broken into, assholes stole my Gurren Lagann messenger bag that had all of my D&D/Pathfinder books, my minis and all my dice. Never did get any of that back, had to re-buy what I could. Plus my rear driver side window was smashed.

I might go again one of these days, but it won't be this year unless I hit the Powerball or something.
Well welcome back to contemplating attending and wow man, that completely sucks, and has to be one of the worst Gen-Con experiences I have heard, even if obviously it was not actually at the convention proper.

Did you at least get to meet Jim Butcher

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Exciting update nobody seems to be talking about more broadly online yet: seemingly the entire Circle Centre Mall is going to be gone by the time Gen-Con happens this year

There have not been many updates since that article but something else I saw from a few days ago suggests the teardown phase is imminent, and though obviously you never know timelines for things like this, it would not surprise me if there were just nothing in that space for years to come. Though apparently they are not touching the Artsgarden and I imagine if they were destroying the skywalk that would be bigger news?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Will have to see what this does. I never go anywhere near the mall during gen con and i dont drive in and park there so this likely won't personally affect me much but I know some attendees live and die by that food court

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Will have to see what this does. I never go anywhere near the mall during gen con and i dont drive in and park there so this likely won't personally affect me much but I know some attendees live and die by that food court
Yeah that was how I realized nobody seemed to be talking about/know about this yet, when someone on the Discord said she exclusively eats at the food court to save money. Welp, hopefully there is an alternative for that vibe

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The only time I'm near/in the mall is when I'm walking to Yardhouse.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Well here's hoping for cool food options in the new mall in 2028.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

BlackIronHeart posted:

The only time I'm near/in the mall is when I'm walking to Yardhouse.

Same. Yardhouse became the late-lunch escape for my group when we needed to be back at the con for a really long evening RPG session or something. It was never very crowded, just far enough to get us outside for a few blocks, and the food + drink was dependable.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

I think the last time I ate at that mall was 2015 or 2016. “Fine” just about describes it, but everywhere I’ve been since has been much better. I still miss the Indian buffet place, now that was a gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Agrias120 posted:

Same. Yardhouse became the late-lunch escape for my group when we needed to be back at the con for a really long evening RPG session or something. It was never very crowded, just far enough to get us outside for a few blocks, and the food + drink was dependable.

I'm glad to hear they were not crazy busy for lunches during the con. I've gone there a few times for dinner but there was always a not-insubstantial wait when we went.